Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
outy
Aug 27, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

if mark hunt loses i am boycotting this sport

If tiny welterweight Melvin Manheof can turn Hunto's lights out, then I'm pretty sure Roy "Big oval office" Nelson can do the same. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

So he had 3 kids and a coke.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Nike dropped Jon Jones as a sponsor over the media brawl :lol:

The spiral of self-destruction begins right here. He'll be comfort eating soon, miss weight against DC and lose the title then be forced into the HW division where his first and last fight will be Mark Hunt.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Embedded 2

http://youtu.be/U2IERp0PDoE

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I guess it's a decent test to see who in the EU will pay cash money for a McGregor fight at this point?

In the Old World we get the UFC on subscription tv, no specific PPV required. Wouldn't make a difference if he was on prelims or the main card. Although, should the stars align and he fights for a belt, they could certainly sell a few PPVs if they wanted to. After all, we still have to pay for Mayweather.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Crappers posted:

What the poo poo. All this talk of Cruz and I still had no idea he was on the 178 card until now. Proper excited for this here card.

The only Cruz fight out of his last 9 that didn't go to a decision was when Brian Bowles broke his own hand. In fact, he's never finished an opponent in either the WEC or the UFC, only on smaller regional shows.

Hard to get excited about points fighters, and I won't shed a tear when his brittle body forces him off my screen forever.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I can appreciate it, I just don't want to see it.

I genuinely don't believe he is actively seeking a KO or sub, he lands punches without committing to them. This allows him to get out of the way of counters very successfully, but dramatically reduces his chance of doing significant damage. It undoubtedly takes skill, dedication and massive amounts of training to pull it off, but I find it incredibly dull to watch.

I suspect the only person who gets properly excited watching Cruz fight is Greg Jackson.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

-Atom- posted:

What an idiotic thing to say. In Dominick's last title defense against DJ he nearly had a rear naked on him.

Watching Dominick outclass basically everyone is the poo poo.

He nearly had a submission? Holy poo poo.
What you call outclassing, I see as out-manoeuvring. His opponents tend to look frustrated and confused, but rarely beaten.

You can't deny that he prioritises winning rounds over attempting to finish. He's basically doing a striking version of "position before submission".

As I've said, I accept that what he does takes skill and talent, however it leaves me cold. I wish I enjoyed his fights as much as you do, but that's subjectivity for you.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

fatherdog posted:

You're stupid, hth.

I respect your opinion. Then again, I'm stupid.

Either he isn't looking to finish, which makes him smart but boring, or he is, which makes him bad at it.
Look, maybe it's been so long since I've seen him fight that I've exaggerated his tippy-tappy style in my mind, and he'll blow me away tomorrow night. I look forward to admitting that I'm wrong.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

If only there was a guy fighting at 135 who likes finishing people with head kicks.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

masato tatanka posted:

I don't remember seeing Dustin vs. Holloway, please don't remind me Max Holloway exists

I'll be reminded of his existence this time next week as I sit in my amazing seats in the Stockholm Globe on my 40th birthday, wearing my Korean Zombie t-shirt, watching him fight Akira Corassani.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Since Dominick is obviously reading this thread, I just want to say thanks to him for listening to me. Sometimes a bit of criticism is all that's needed to motivate a fighter, and I'm glad I could help.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Kennedy not happy with the stool shenanigans:

http://youtu.be/cizLTXuWZ3o

Which came as a result of Yolo getting knocked silly after some sneaky glove shenanigans:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZzlvA36Ui...2BUFC%2B178.gif

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I nearly got into a scrap with a drunken Special Forces guy who was running his mouth off. I may not be trained to kill, but I've seen Black Hawk Down like 8 times.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

I keep looking at the end of fight replay of Poirier/McGregor and wondering how the hell Poirier got knocked out by a punch that looked like it grazed the back of his head. Maybe its just a bad angle but drat that looks weird.

Here's the finish:

http://gfycat.com/AllDentalBrontosaurus

The first punch that hits the back of his head isn't a glancing shot, if you see how much Conor's fist changes direction on contact you can tell that a lot of contact was made. Even still, it's only enough to gently caress with Poirier's equilibrium, he drops a bit stunned but still aware.
The first hammerfist hurts badly, but it's the second last punch that really starches him and forces the stoppage. If anything, the last punch woke him up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Scrapez posted:

I'm not trolling and I'm really not trying to piss everyone off. I'm just having a discussion about this but I guess I'm probably beating a dead horse for most of you that post in here all the time. Unfortunately, there isn't much information to say definitively one way or the other whether the fighters are paid poorly or well.

But on the headliner concert thing, it's more apples to apples than you're making out. Bruce Springsteen's average attendance for a concert was 28,xxx for which he earned $1,000,000.

UFC 178 had an attendance of 10,500 and the fighters got approx $1.23 million. On those stats it would appear the fighters get paid more but the PPV revenue is where the big numbers are and the UFC is keeping all of that.

Now, people have said for years and continue to say that "fighters get paid a bunch of money backstage." That could be true I suppose but it seems really strange. How much could it really be? I could see Dana walking in with $10k or maybe even $20k in cash but are we talking millions in briefcases type of poo poo?

Stop concerning yourself with it. You have no way of knowing how a private company is spending and investing its money. You can only guess at what it takes to run a show, and every figure you could come up with for camera costs, editing, catering, doctors, travel, security... it's all going to be wrong. So trying to formulate a fair rate of pay based on lots of incorrect figures that you've added together is wasting your time.
And now mine too.

• Locked thread