Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Thales Leites calls out Michael Bisping

fatherdog posted:

Is there anyone in the UFC at this point who has not called out Bisping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If Askren had gone to WSoF and wrestled the poo poo out of Fitch and Burkman he'd probably be coaching a season of TUF as we speak

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Kinda sad

I know there's all sorts of bonuses and sponsorships but it's kinda funny that Askren makes more money than a UFC champ anyway

"I know TJ makes way more than this but it's kinda funny that this figure, which is less than what he makes, is also less than what Askren makes"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

If Lawler/Hendricks II somehow ends up in 2014 Lawler has a chance (although I think he'll lose that fight) but otherwise it's between Cerrone and Dillashaw right now. I guess I wouldn't count Werdum out either just because there's a chance Cain injures himself, doesn't pull out and Werdum pulls off a shocking upset.

Cain wouldn't have to come in with an injury to get upset by Werdum, just a gameplan that involved performing a takedown at any point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

We've got to talk ourselves into thinking werdum has a chance against Cain. The only less compelling title fight is Aldo V Mendes.

Does anybody feel like the phrase Jiu Jitsu World Champion would help? Who wants to bet that Rogan says Werdum's BJJ is "top of the food chain"

I don't really need to do much talking to convince myself that Werdum has a chance against Cain.

Like I've said for ages that Werdum's victory path against Cain would be to be fearless on the feet (which he's always been, even when he was ludicrously bad there) and pressure him enough to force him to take bad shots, and then take advantage with his guard. His striking has looked sharper enough lately to make the first part a realistic possibility, and as for the second part - well, maybe he can and maybe he can't, but whose guard has Cain ever plowed through to suggest that he can't? A blinded Antonio Silva? Kongo?

If I had to bet I'd probably bet on Cain because :wrestling-meme-here:, but I don't think Werdum whacking him good with a couple flurries and Cain shooting into a submission would be that big a shock.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I don't really need to do much talking to convince myself that Werdum has a chance against Cain.

Like I've said for ages that Werdum's victory path against Cain would be to be fearless on the feet (which he's always been, even when he was ludicrously bad there) and pressure him enough to force him to take bad shots, and then take advantage with his guard. His striking has looked sharper enough lately to make the first part a realistic possibility, and as for the second part - well, maybe he can and maybe he can't, but whose guard has Cain ever plowed through to suggest that he can't? A blinded Antonio Silva? Kongo?

If I had to bet I'd probably bet on Cain because :wrestling-meme-here:, but I don't think Werdum whacking him good with a couple flurries and Cain shooting into a submission would be that big a shock.

All of this being said, Mendes' only chance against Aldo involves a bathtub

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Overeem/Mir went to a decision. I don't think there's anything that could happen in an Overeem match that would surprise me anymore.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
There's also rumors/indications they may start adding other B-league shows like Ring of Combat, which would be pretty great.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Diaz/Diego is also very cool

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jacare posted:

In Japan, I helped [Mousasi] to cut weight and after that I fought Mousasi on the same day. That's part of the sport. If he needs help this fight cutting weight, I will help him again no problem. We are friends out of the Octagon and we fight inside the Octagon. That's part of the sport. A few months ago, Mousasi was here in Brazil and we had lunch together.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Jacare is a cool dude too but can people who have watched more of his career help me with his stand up? It seems that he hits like a loving truck but this seems a pretty recent development. Is he developing any technique or is he just starching tards with his power?

Jacare's striking technique took a giant leap forward during his Strikeforce run with him improving at a rate that was genuinely surprising to watch. He's got pretty good boxing at this point, although he's helped a lot by the fact that he has a tremendous speed advantage against most dudes he's fighting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They didn't have a timeline for Brock's return at that point. He could have sat out for 3 years for all the UFC knew.

The UFC's pretty consistently said that as long as they have an actual recovery timeline from the doctors so they know when the champ'll be able to defend again, they won't do an interim. That's why Cruz strung the title along almost forever (because he kept getting firm dates from his doctor and then reinjuring himself) while with Serra they went interim almost immediately when he hosed up his back because his doctors didn't know when or even if he was going to recover.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Yikes, 150 and Oliveira already looks cadaverous. Not looking good.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ariza posted:

Do they always give them 3 hours after weigh-ins? I thought it was usually an hour.

It varies by state.

Also, somebody should get a GDT up.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Relatedly -

arielhelwani posted:

Indian reservations usually have their own commissions, so even though both shows 2morrow are in CT, they are overseen by diff commissions.

arielhelwani posted:

This is the commission overseeing tomorrow's UFC event: http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Mashantucket_Pequot_Tribal_Nation_Athletic_Commission - Bellator: http://www.mohegan.nsn.us/ . Both have diff rules.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

That is so scummy if she was coerced. Then again I wouldn't hold it against her if she said "gently caress all this noise" and just left.

gently caress Thiago with a broom.

fatherdog posted:

The guy who threatened her and her current boyfriend with an automatic weapon gets out on bail, and mysteriously, she leaves the country! Why, this case just fell apart in our hands, there was nothing we could do!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Even aside from the fact that it's morally horrible, this is like the definition of "unforced error" when it comes to PR. He was already released, he was a multiple-time PED user - what possible good does it do to re-sign him compared to the bad?

I mean if Jon Jones beat up a cop tomorrow and intimidated him into fleeing the country, at least you could say the UFC has to balance the bad publicity against a lot of potential ppv buys. But who the gently caress is paying to see Thiago Silva?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

niethan posted:

Maybe they'll give thiago fights with guys that are way better than him so at least we can see him get beat up

This is a plot to make us like Jon Jones

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Just let it happen

Wrong black guy

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Wise Learned Man posted:

I wonder if Lentz still got 20% of Aloe Vera's contracted show money, since he didn't get paid at all.

No, according to ariel

quote:

Is it ACs or the promotion that enforce the missing-weight-purse-penalty, anyway?

ACs, but they can't deduct money from a purse that wasn't paid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i can't wait to see dana white's explanation of why he resigned thiago silva

quote:

“He went through the legal process and came out of it untainted,” White said to UFC.com. “He deserves to be able to make a living again. He's back under contract."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

I totally missed another card and I dont care

You should, it was good + funny

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Thats a cool gif

also does Jacare get a title shot now? and is there any way hes not on a ton of PEDs dude is a freak

Jacare was doing insane explosive poo poo even back when he was first competing in Judo and too poor to afford regular meals, let alone steroids, so I think he's just an insane athlete

(who is also on a lot of PEDs, since he's fighting in the UFC)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

John Cena posted:

who does weidman face in the interim?

Vitor,theoretically.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Realistically if I were Jacare I'd already be planning an eight week camp for UFC 181 so I'm set when Vitor attempts to flee NSAC drug testers in a helicopter

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

When did Chris Weidman become superman. He's really good but it's getting s little silly how apparently no one in the world has any chance against him.

Plenty of people have a chance against him, and Jacare is one of them. Nobody has a particularly good chance against him, because he is a very, very good fighter who is a bad matchup for most of his division.

Personally, as someone who picked Weidman over Silva the first time, I think that Machida and Jacare are the biggest threats to him at 185, and after that it's a bunch of people with the equivalent of a puncher's chance. I'll be interested to see what he does against other opponents, though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I think a tall and rangy striker who can defend takedowns and maintain output/not gas has a good shot against Weidman, especially in a 5 round fight with MMA judging being what it is. Weidman would always have the opportunity to hit someone really hard and/or submit them, however.

I, too, think that Weidman's greatest threat is a guy that doesn't exist at middleweight

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
To be fair, bundt is generally going to assume the guy named Kenny won

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Is there an Invicta GDT or what

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663180

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rockhold isn't good at doing anything, but he's really good at preventing his opponent from doing anything.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you think Jacare would welcome Weidman being on top of him you are dumb as poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
There are a ton of racists that are fans of mma and that probably plays a role, as well as the general media thing of black athletes getting pilloried for stuff that white athletes get a pass for, but attempting to explain away all or even the majority of the animosity towards Jones as racism kind of runs into the problem that most Jones-haters are rooting for him to lose to noted white man Daniel Cormier.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MagicCube posted:

I assume you don't watch MMA, don't really know what the fighters look like, and are just basing their race off their names because from my cursory glance (and actually having seen the fighters) the breakdown of the top-15's is like so (with minor variation for what you consider white):

Flyweight: 7 out of 16 (non-white)
Bantamweight: 10 out of 16
Featherweight: 7 out of 16
Lightweight: 9 out of 16
Welterweight: 6 out of 16
Middleweight: 9 out of 16
Lightheavyweight: 13 out of 16
Heavyweight: 8 out of 16

Pretty freaking diverse if you ask me!

This conversation is diverst if you ask me

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Browne said recently that he hasn't been back to Jackson's since his last loss and he's been working exclusively with Rousey's boxing coach. Take from that what you will re: predicting what his next fight will look like.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I don't have strong opinions about Rousey's coach as a coach, but I do wonder who Browne is sparring with over there.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jack's just a dude who knows way more about striking than grappling (as noted by the fact that he tends to get other people to contribute when he's doing a technique breakdown on a grappling-heavy fight/fighter) so naturally he's interested by all the cool stuff McGregor does standing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Faber was saying on the announcing that her age wasn't on the sheet so he didn't know how old she was at all.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Vaguely interesting -

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/larry-hazzard-to-return-as-head-of-new-jersey-athletic-commission

Hazzard was a pretty historic figure in mma what with being involved with it's initial sanctioning. I'll be interested to see the fallout from whatever behind-the-scenes stuff has been going on.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ed Soares owes me royalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Those of you not watching UFC Tonight missed home video footage of Kenny Florian doing ballet in his backyard

• Locked thread