Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Didn't Hendo just get married? Bjpenn.com reposted hendo's picture of 30 cases of beer with the comment they "held their annual Pig roast this past weekend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Maybe they were talking about dan and one of his buddies having a spit roast

mewse
May 2, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: They definitely need to cut down on the talking head segments. They generally add nothing other than 2 guys pick 1 fighter and the other picks the other. If they aired more features like the one they aired on Costa (before he got thrashed) they'd be better off. You can't do one for everyone though, maybe one or two more? With Bellator I never remember a thing about the fighters because every Russian and Brazilian gets the same translator and all the packages look the same.

They think they need an announcers desk like football but it just dilutes the product

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I wish they would use that time to talk about techniques and tactics instead of trying to emulate the talking heads of football broadcasts.

Soto is facing the opportunity of a lifetime! What do you think, Brian Stann

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

Anyway TJ is basically a lock for Fighter of the Year, right? He's won 3 fights this year, won the belt from a gremlin, saved a card from cancellation unlike the coward Jon Jones who almost cancelled another card, and he set a record with two 5th round stoppages.

I believe that by knocking out the #1 contender instead of having a close match with a way outclassed late replacement, The Bathroom Floor really deserves consideration for this award

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

Welp, guess I won't get Fight Pass after all. (Seriously though, is it worth it?)

The Dublin card that they put on fight pass was the best card I've watched since Anderson shattered his leg

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm happy for Pat Barry :unsmith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

At least overeem had a cool documentary

mewse
May 2, 2006

I wish I knew what made Lauzon fights so entertaining so I could put it in a syringe and inject it into Overeem

mewse
May 2, 2006

What was it they kept repeating on fight pass every commercial break? You've got a date with a ninja ballerina or something?

mewse
May 2, 2006

canada jezus posted:

Karate hottie, which is her nickname apparently. The gently caress did you get ninja ballerina from that.

I was busy holding pads for Alistair ok

mewse
May 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Rothwell's fight, victory dance and post-fight interview were all pretty amazing and progressively more hilarious. Especially because I was with a friend that kept calling him "The White Menace".

His bizarre overjoyed win speech was pretty white now that I think about it, as was his bad dancing. And his car mechanic physique. He really is the white menace, drat.

mewse
May 2, 2006

david carmichael posted:

overeem completely missed the glove touch at the start of the fight, which i think was a really good sign of things to come

Hahaha I didn't notice that

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Weren't there guys coming in saying they were like 150-0 and stuff like that?

Or maybe I'm remembering fighters from some of the amateur leagues making claims like that which probably happens pretty often.

You're thinking of Frank Dux, they made a documentary about him called Bloodsport

mewse
May 2, 2006

Last weekends event really sold me on Mousasi. Guy seems cool as h*ck

mewse
May 2, 2006

Good article, still hasn't sold me on McGregor

mewse
May 2, 2006

Would we really notice if mark hunt had pugilistic dementia?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I agree, if you like pizza you are morally weak IMO

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

For everyone that hates Greg Jackson - comfort yourself with the fact that he is tasked with being responsible for this man.

Hi everyone I'm not Greg Jackson anymore

mewse
May 2, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Good lord, Magny is fighting again in October against some Brazilian guy. He's going to fight five, possibly six times in 2014. He's like a boring Donald Cerrone.

Go get some, boring-rear end mag-nay

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm thinking Joe Silva sees this as either Overeem loses again and there's no defensible way to keep him on the roster so he's gone, and Struve might not be able to fight much longer anyways so he could be gone too, so there isn't a whole lot for UFC to lose in this particular matchup. Cause otherwise yeah this doesn't make sense to put Struve in an even more dangerous fight in a higher profile bout. This will be co-main for sure and he will have to have the locker room cam on him as Mike Goldberg talks up Harley Davidson motorcycles.

I remember seeing Struve hitting hand pads in a workout one time and his striking looked way better than I thought it was, based on his performances in the cage. Like the kind of striking you'd expect from one of the countries renowned for kickboxing. It seems like if Struve's fist gently glances off Overeem's jaw the fight will be in the process of shutting down because Overeem will drop his hands and get that look in his eyes that is kinda like "what is going on" mixed with "oh no not again"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dangersim posted:

The reality of it really hit when I watched my friend get knocked out cold with a head kick in an amateur fight. It was "oh, these are really human beings, and one who is my friend just took serious head trauma."

A big part of me was still all THAT WAS COOL AS poo poo though.

It's fun though because if he ever pisses you off you can just threaten to kick him in the head and there's nothing he can really say.

Small shows are awesome. I love watching amateur boxing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MycroftXXX posted:

I don't think Struve hits hard enough to give overeem a funny KO ending.

Overeem's recent fights make it look like basically anybody could hit hard enough to daze him

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Looks like Hunt's camp thinks he might not be making weight. https://twitter.com/markhunt1974/status/512550994375229440

Damnit mark hunt

mewse
May 2, 2006

I love japan

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dangersim posted:

What a lovely day for Glenn Robinson.

The liberal media is probably making him feel super guilty about representing wife beaters

mewse
May 2, 2006

Regarding Roy complaining about an early stoppage:

Roy's FB page posted:

Thanks everyone for the support, just got caught. Thats what happens in the Hwy division. @lunarpages @Fearthefighter @dynamicfastner @alienwaremma ‪#‎stumble‬ next time

It's a long road on the highway division

mewse
May 2, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

It's kind of funny to read Roy Nelson explaining he "just got caught" considering his entire career has been based around just catching other guys.

I don't really know what else he could say. I don't like Roy much and I consider him a one trick pony, I disagree with dunc that Roy has more power than Hunt. HOWEVER: at least he's not complaining that the ref stopped the fight too early.

"I got caught" is one of those tautological sentences like "it is what it is" that exist in order to express something entirely devoid of new information. I got knocked out because I got knocked out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yuriy posted:

these are the posts youve made here, please dont make anymore

I actually appreciated the insight into what caused Felice Herring's major malfunction

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Go outside

Are there girls there??

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why would I talk about how a girl fighter acts in a thread about fighting :confused:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why is mayweather going before the commission? Because maidana bit his fingers?

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Apparently his All Access show featured an amateur getting the poo poo beat out of them by a professional in a "sparring session" while people around the ring placed bets.

Amateur boxing owns

mewse
May 2, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Now that Wandy is banned in Nevada, doesn't that mean he's effectively banned from fighting anywhere important in the US since most ACs like Cali and NJ respect each other's decisions?

I believe so, yes

mewse
May 2, 2006

masato tatanka posted:

it's cool that UFC embedded has devolved into watching the fighters watching the previous episode of UFC embedded

It does seem kinda bizarre but I think we just aren't used to how fast the turnaround time is for these types of videos.

When they started ceronne's segment I started laughing because I imagined "meanwhile, at the trailer park"

mewse
May 2, 2006

BROUGHT TO YOU BY PARADIGM MMA MANAGMENT

mewse
May 2, 2006

manyak posted:

Even though im a Nerd, Im gonna work out and get mad laid [sees girls fawn over guy with big biceps and chest] That guy probably isnt athletic at all.. he skips leg day, i work out for performance, its way different [realizes im bad at every sport and the Bicep guy is more athletic than me] Oh uhh.. actually I lift weight for the numbers. i lift heavy things and put them down, LOL! [sees a buff guy lifting more weight than me] hmm.. that guy's posture probably fuckin sucks. Bet he's gonna have.. shoulder girdle problems and poo poo. My posture is ridiculously off the chain

Same

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

When I first started posting in the MMA threads it was some drive-by rageposting about how I didn't like Anderson Silva following another big win of his and it probably read a lot like that guy's posts, so I just want to apologize to everyone because I am second-hand embarrassed for him and myself.

stop posting, past bluedeanie

present bluedeanie, you're cool, whatever

mewse
May 2, 2006

Please never say "juicy danglers" ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I want to remind everyone of the part of one of New Guy's posts where he implies this sort of ostracism happens to him IRL:

Bioshuffle posted:

The culture of elitism that exists within the MMA fan base is nothing short of baffling. I can think of three separate occasions when I almost came to trading blows with some drunk know-it-all who thinks his opinions have more value because he trains jiu-jitsu. :rolleyes:

It's like they can't handle the concept of two people having different opinions. I may not "train" mixed martial arts, but I've seen enough matches and read enough articles and studied fight footage to know what I'm talking about.

Stupid "i train" trolls :rolleyes:

• Locked thread