Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Viggen posted:

..but the jorts are OK?

Those look like gym shorts to me. And there ain't nothing wrong with gym shorts while wrenching. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gym shorts are my preferred pants of choice while wrenching

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Viggen posted:

..but the jorts are OK?

Maybe it's John Cena.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Done with that crapbastard SID. Hopefully for good. I dont like those anymore. <:mad:> At least it was an 'old style LCD' connection which has more carriers, and flakes out a lot less.

mariooncrack posted:

Maybe it's John Cena.

If it were, I would offer a reward to whomever dropped the tines the fastest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

No, it's just that (apparently) in Arizona, Phoenix in particular, a few years back there were speed cameras installed on all of the major freeways.

That was a bad loving time. Everyone knew where the fixed cameras were so you'd get this absolutely massive wave of cars all driving right around 76MPH and then standing on the brakes at each camera. Each lane was going the exact same speed at all times.

quote:

Where was I generalizing? He was point out how, in my area, people could get away with tickets like this. I'm point out how, in my area (the area he's talking about) I don't think you can anymore.

Yeah, and to be fair I'd heard it plenty of times too. I've been lucky enough to not get snapped at all so far at least.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Toof chats.
A shade over a month ago I got a wisdom tooth out. Never heard of anything like sedation before. Do the dentists really prescribe pain killers too? Wow.

Anyway I waited all year for this appointment. Had to travel a few hours away to go there too. So worth it. He had it out in about 10 minutes. I think they had to drill it out of the jaw. The dentist that referred me to the dental surgeon said my tooth was like wet cardboard. Bloody amazing work. Way better than aeons of clumsy hacking and prying at my jaw by students like my last one. Never again.

So yeah I was happy with the job. He just said to take Nurofen if it hurts. Did it hurt? Like an absolute motherfucker. But that was because my dead tooth kicked off an infection a couple of months beforehand. Removing the tooth sent it full Akira on my jaw. I also got some biological warfare grade flu at the same time. I still have that bitch of a thing. Had to take two courses of antibiotics to get the jaw under control. Constant flow of pus into my mouth, couldn't hear through my right ear and half my molars seemed to be floating and made horrible cracking noises when I bit down. Hooray for teeth!

The reason the tooth extractions kind of sucked is it seems like I have hooked roots on them. So no matter how awful they get they don't fall out. yay?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Geirskogul posted:

Gym shorts are my preferred pants of choice while wrenching

Nah man, my dark blue dickies shorts are THE best for wrenching, yard work...hell any kind of manual labor.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So i saw a big trouble in little china nod on tv in an episode of china illinois. Said to the gf "man now i want to watch that." She says watch what? Im like, uh, big trouble in little china with kurt russell? And she's like "who?"

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Sever.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dont worry I fixed it :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rip rear end in car as I'm getting out: normally not a problem, it'll be gone next time I get in the car.

Do it as I return from a delivery: also not normally a problem, I'm usually stuck in the store for at least 10 minutes, and usually leave the windows slightly cracked in the summer.

Get sent back out the door 3 minutes later, when it's just shy of 100F, giving that fart a few minutes to linger and age, like a fine wine lovely moonshine? Dry heaved when I opened the door. :barf: It's worse than ripping rear end in a very small walk-in cooler.

I gotta cut back on the beans.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'd love to see everyone complaining about how hard it is to teach middle schoolers to color inside the lines and add and subtract do a real job for a week. Give them a ditch to dig or some formulas to work out and watch them really poo poo their pants. Bunch of loving pussies.

My roommate literally came home and bitched about some kid that wouldn't sit still and how his job was so demanding. Bitch you sit down all day and read them history stories out of a book. Here's a Hilti hammer drill mother fucker go core out a bunch of holes in concrete for me and then tell me how hard it is erasing 2 + 2 off the chalkboard.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 5, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Rip rear end in car as I'm getting out: normally not a problem, it'll be gone next time I get in the car.

Do it as I return from a delivery: also not normally a problem, I'm usually stuck in the store for at least 10 minutes, and usually leave the windows slightly cracked in the summer.

Get sent back out the door 3 minutes later, when it's just shy of 100F, giving that fart a few minutes to linger and age, like a fine wine lovely moonshine? Dry heaved when I opened the door. :barf: It's worse than ripping rear end in a very small walk-in cooler.

I gotta cut back on the beans.

Just roll down the windows and drive faster. :roflolmao:

I was driving back to school with a friend of mine and we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I ripped one and then we sat there. :barf: Nothing worse than having to deal with a nasty one than being stuck in traffic with it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'd love to see everyone complaining about how hard it is to teach middle schoolers to color inside the lines and add and subtract do a real job for a week. Give them a ditch to dig or some formulas to work out and watch them really poo poo their pants. Bunch of loving pussies.

My roommate literally came home and bitched about some kid that wouldn't sit still and how his job was so demanding. Bitch you sit down all day and read them history stories out of a book. Here's a Hilti hammer drill mother fucker go core out a bunch of holes in concrete for me and then tell me how hard it is erasing 2 + 2 off the chalkboard.

If you don't think teaching is a real job you should probably go back to school and learn something because lol

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Obviously, you have no loving idea what you're talking about.

No, it's not as physically demanding as hard physical labor, but you try keeping track of the curriculum of multiple different classes at different levels, and keeping new material and assignments prepared each day.

Keep in mind that you have to do this while managing maybe 20-25 misbehaving little individualist libertarians in each class and take care of each of their different levels of aptitude for each subject to ensure they actually learn something. And then you have the bullshit budget cuts and the meddling parents that want to make sure their little angel is getting the best possible education, while also expecting the school to raise their kids, because they're too busy to do it themselves.

All of this this has to fit within a normal 8-10 hour workday. It may not be physically demanding (actually, you end up walking loving everywhere in a major hurry), but it's mentally fatiguing as gently caress.

Source: My mom has been a teacher for ~30 years.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That was a bad loving time. Everyone knew where the fixed cameras were so you'd get this absolutely massive wave of cars all driving right around 76MPH and then standing on the brakes at each camera. Each lane was going the exact same speed at all times.

That's how it is in Germany. Everyone knows where they are so a 1/4 mile before everyone slows down then drives by and speeds back up. Isn't too bad most of the time except when some idiot forgets the section of road is unrestricted and panic brakes down to 120kph.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

hahaha you wouldn't last a week.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Honestly, I don't know if I hate dealing with instructors or students the most. Either way, on the management side of things, it's a poo poo sandwich of listening to retarded problems. Having worked in the real world until 8 years ago, I'm completely jaded to their non-issues. I'd love to see how the majority of them would actually perform outside of the warm womb of academia. Protip: there's a reason why people like me have to baby sit them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Both you and Super Aggro sound like lovely people to be around.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

rscott posted:

If you don't think teaching is a real job you should probably go back to school and learn something because lol

dubzee posted:

hahaha you wouldn't last a week.

KozmoNaut posted:

I guess I got here too late to comment on Super Aggro Crag's view of teaching (I will anyway, though). Yeah, it's not physical (per se, standing and talking for hours on end does tire you out, believe it or not), but there is a lot of energy required to do it. It's not "sitting and talking" and if you really think that's all there is to it, then you've never been in a college classroom.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I have been in a college classroom. I'm not talking about HS or college. I'm talking about middle school computer teachers who have to Google basic HTML code and blow through an entire season of GoT on the work laptop in a week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You couldn't do his job, he couldn't do your job, it's almost as if different people have different aptitudes and skills.

Now if both of you swapped and slogged your guts out you could probably pick it up, but everyone whinges about their job, pretty much.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I have been in a college classroom. I'm not talking about HS or college. I'm talking about middle school computer teachers who have to Google basic HTML code and blow through an entire season of GoT on the work laptop in a week.

God that's even worse... you'd have to deal with Middle Schoolers. I'd rather have physical labor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
middle schoolers are the worst form of child. Old enough to be dangerous, young enough to not have a sense of empathy.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

Both you and Super Aggro sound like lovely people to be around.

I deal with issues on the IT side of things and there are a few cool people out there, but for the most part it's people who freeze up with any stress at all and turn into total assholes. Here's a smattering of "issues" just this week:

"I GOT TO MY CLASSROOM THIS MORNING AND YOUR PEOPLE DID SOMETHING BUT I COULDN'T TEACH!!!!"
Person doesn't know what the gently caress a power button is apparently.

"I USED YOUR WEBSITE LAST NIGHT NOW MY LAPTOP WON'T WORK"
OK, where did you go after that? *click* hello? Welp, I guess that answers that..

"MY DVD DRIVE WON'T ACCEPT DISCS, EVERY TIME I PUT ONE IN IT JUST SPITS IT OUT!"
Students flipped the desktop upside down. This was a computer instructor..

"WHY AREN'T MY FILES ON THE PC IN THE CLASSROOM WHEN I SAVE THEM TO THE C DRIVE IN MY OFFICE?!? THIS IS CLEARLY BROKEN AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!"
Uhhh.. Let me show you how a "C drive" works..

We get all the retards of the universe calling in and we get the task that nobody wants.. We have to talk them off a ledge while smiling and act like it's our fault, because god forbid you crack a tiny bit of their ego. they're instruPROFESSORS!!! There was actually a series of meetings for 6 months here that went on because they wanted people to call them professors. Seriously, that's the temper tantrum bullshit that happens behind the scenes of the ivory tower.. So forgive me if I'm a little bit cynical about their job being soooooo harrrrrrrd....

edit: And yes, those were the ones I personally dealt with because "Your people are too incompetent to take care of my issues." :bang:

double edit: Also, I could imagine how much worse it would be to deal with not only students but also their parents at the jr. high - high school level since they've apparently graduated from retardation finishing school by the time they get to us.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 5, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

No, it's not as physically demanding as hard physical labor, but you try keeping track of the curriculum of multiple different classes at different levels, and keeping new material and assignments prepared each day.

Keep in mind that you have to do this while managing maybe 20-25 misbehaving little individualist libertarians in each class and take care of each of their different levels of aptitude for each subject to ensure they actually learn something. And then you have the bullshit budget cuts and the meddling parents that want to make sure their little angel is getting the best possible education, while also expecting the school to raise their kids, because they're too busy to do it themselves.

All of this this has to fit within a normal 8-10 hour workday. It may not be physically demanding (actually, you end up walking loving everywhere in a major hurry), but it's mentally fatiguing as gently caress.

Source: My mom has been a teacher for ~30 years.

.... while also not being able to discipline the little fuckers, because, oh my God, you might hurt their self-esteem, let alone spank the little bastards, as they so richly deserve.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Darchangel posted:

.... while also not being able to discipline the little fuckers, because, oh my God, you might hurt their self-esteem, let alone spank the little bastards, as they so richly deserve.

"Physical abuse is cool"
-Darchangel, 2014

Also keykey, you're a giant baby.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

"Physical abuse is cool"
-Darchangel, 2014

Yeah why not, I turned out ok.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Teaching kids that violence is an acceptable way to express your displeasure with someone's actions seems like a great way to have a bunch of well adjusted adults in society

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's not quite the issue at hand. The issue is the system is churning out kids/adults that are led to believe that just because they go to school they are entitled to a job or even a certain standard. that's not the way it works, you have to work and be willing to accept the poo poo jobs to begin with to build a resume and to not only realize an opportunity, but take it. As of now, it's more of a congrats, you have a bachelors, so does drat near everybody else. A bachelors is the new high school diploma. Honestly, the program we have here where students will earn the highest amount of money out of this place because we have instructors that work in the industry with a direct line of work is welding. Guess what we are cutting next year so we can pad more programs that are worthless until you get a masters? Don't get me wrong, school is great, however somewhere along the way we have lost the greater vision of vocational programs. Believe it or not, not everybody who graduates with a psychology degree will be a psychologist.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I sold my EJ Holden and perfectly unreliable 205 GTi for a Fiesta ST and when I'm drunk I'm overwhelmed with regret.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
That "my job is harder than yours" thing is a bottomless pit, anyway. There's always someone who has to wake up earlier or dig a deeper hole or whatever

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

keykey posted:

That's not quite the issue at hand. The issue is the system is churning out kids/adults that are led to believe that just because they go to school they are entitled to a job or even a certain standard. that's not the way it works, you have to work and be willing to accept the poo poo jobs to begin with to build a resume and to not only realize an opportunity, but take it. As of now, it's more of a congrats, you have a bachelors, so does drat near everybody else. A bachelors is the new high school diploma. Honestly, the program we have here where students will earn the highest amount of money out of this place because we have instructors that work in the industry with a direct line of work is welding. Guess what we are cutting next year so we can pad more programs that are worthless until you get a masters? Don't get me wrong, school is great, however somewhere along the way we have lost the greater vision of vocational programs. Believe it or not, not everybody who graduates with a psychology degree will be a psychologist.

Nah, the issue at hand is always this quarter's profits. Worker productivity is at an all time high, record profits are posted every quarter, and only if people would stop being so lazy and get a poo poo job then we wouldn't have any of this! The problem is more base and systemic than you think and it really comes down to the straight up greed of corporations.

I do agree with you on the vocational stuff, but you're shooting the messenger by placing the blame at academia's feet.

sigtrap posted:

That "my job is harder than yours" thing is a bottomless pit, anyway. There's always someone who has to wake up earlier or dig a deeper hole or whatever

Computer janitor harder, etc.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 5, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

its kind of hard to tell who is trolling and who is just stunted emotionally

ai i dont even know who u r anymore. <:mad:>

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sigtrap posted:

Just like the "fastest/best car" thing. There's always something faster/better.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

I do agree with you on the vocational stuff, but you're shooting the messenger by placing the blame at academia's feet.

With student loans and the cost of education being as outrageous as it is today, it isn't unfair to share blame this direction either. Student loans is a highly profitable business, we just so happen to have salesmen and women in every classroom, here's how to order!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/25/federal-student-loan-profit/3696009/

meatpimp posted:

Just like the "fastest/best car" thing. There's always something faster/better.

Truth. My thing can beat up your thing! No huh, yeah huh!

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 5, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cat missing :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

I deal with issues on the IT side of things and there are a few cool people out there, but for the most part it's people who freeze up with any stress at all and turn into total assholes. Here's a smattering of "issues" just this week:

"I GOT TO MY CLASSROOM THIS MORNING AND YOUR PEOPLE DID SOMETHING BUT I COULDN'T TEACH!!!!"
Person doesn't know what the gently caress a power button is apparently.

"I USED YOUR WEBSITE LAST NIGHT NOW MY LAPTOP WON'T WORK"
OK, where did you go after that? *click* hello? Welp, I guess that answers that..

"MY DVD DRIVE WON'T ACCEPT DISCS, EVERY TIME I PUT ONE IN IT JUST SPITS IT OUT!"
Students flipped the desktop upside down. This was a computer instructor..

"WHY AREN'T MY FILES ON THE PC IN THE CLASSROOM WHEN I SAVE THEM TO THE C DRIVE IN MY OFFICE?!? THIS IS CLEARLY BROKEN AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!"
Uhhh.. Let me show you how a "C drive" works..

We get all the retards of the universe calling in and we get the task that nobody wants.. We have to talk them off a ledge while smiling and act like it's our fault, because god forbid you crack a tiny bit of their ego. they're instruPROFESSORS!!! There was actually a series of meetings for 6 months here that went on because they wanted people to call them professors. Seriously, that's the temper tantrum bullshit that happens behind the scenes of the ivory tower.. So forgive me if I'm a little bit cynical about their job being soooooo harrrrrrrd....

edit: And yes, those were the ones I personally dealt with because "Your people are too incompetent to take care of my issues." :bang:

double edit: Also, I could imagine how much worse it would be to deal with not only students but also their parents at the jr. high - high school level since they've apparently graduated from retardation finishing school by the time they get to us.

It's cute that you somehow seem to think anyone in the private sector is somehow less retarded about computers than people in academia.

You must be new to computer janitoring.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's why I drive slow cars. It keeps me firmly rooted that every thing is faster than my car so I never have to try to argue.

:v: my car is faster than yours.
:) yep, it sure is.
:v: uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

Cat missing :(

I hope you mean exhaust and not pet :ohdear:

• Locked thread