Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Is it wrong to like the look of the 2014 beetle?
The original style is still better but of the "new beetles" this one seems really quite nice. There's been a few on the roads locally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm guilty of liking the current (A5 platform) Beetle as well. I keep waiting for time to prove me stupid.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm about as anti-VAG as you can get and even I have to admit the newest Beetle looks good, especially with the wheels that look like classic steelies.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I like the New Beetles and New New Beetles even more. I also like Kia Souls. There, I said it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I dig the quirkiness of the Kia Soul.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

I like the New Beetles and New New Beetles even more. I also like Kia Souls. There, I said it.

Your C10 makes up for this post.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

keykey posted:

You gotta manufacturer/model number?

HP Elitebook 3960p. One has a dented lid and doesn't want to close all that well, but they're better than what I tend to use on a daily basis. HP was kind enough to provide Win 7 drivers for them, so they're running 7HP. 4G RAM, and 120/250GB HDs, respectively.

The worst part about them has to be the ATI video. :v:

--

So, I finally was able to get the black 9-5 up on a rack. Neither myself nor a 30-years-now SAAB guy could figure where the hell the oil was coming from. Found a breather hose that was crumbling, but that shouldn't do it. It looks like I will probably come out of minor surgery and hop directly into a straightjacket headgasket. :shepicide:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 23, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm about as anti-VAG as you can get and even I have to admit the newest Beetle looks good, especially with the wheels that look like classic steelies.

I want a set of those wheels on my Sportwagen.

Also, laughing at anti-vag. I was just watching Parks and Rec last night where some guy at a community hearing wanted to tax "all bad things", including womens' vaginas.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terrible Robot posted:

My mom just got one of those recently, the Fender edition (:lol: marketing). I like the look. I also like retro-steelie look, but the wheels she has on hers are regular alloys with a huge chrome center cap that extends out into the spokes. It looks badass going down the road:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

Agreed. Those wheels really make it look fantastic.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

HP Elitebook 3960p. One has a dented lid and doesn't want to close all that well, but they're better than what I tend to use on a daily basis. HP was kind enough to provide Win 7 drivers for them, so they're running 7HP. 4G RAM, and 120/250GB HDs, respectively.

You can always try craigslist or amazon. Amazon has those listed for about $188, go for the ol," WE'RE UNDERCUTTING THE COMPETITION, NOW ONLY $125!!!!!"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

You can always try craigslist or amazon. Amazon has those listed for about $188, go for the ol," WE'RE UNDERCUTTING THE COMPETITION, NOW ONLY $125!!!!!"

Yeah. I'll probably do that. The problem with CL isn't only getting ripped off- but I live pretty far out of town, and nobody will want to drive to meet me halfway for a $100 laptop. I'm not sure what the cost is out of the gate to sell on Amazon, but there is a reason why I don't sell my Kindles there. :q:

--

Sooo, I just checked under the car again since I got back home. It isn't leaking any oil now- it has been pissing puddles for over a week. I found a breather hose which was getting brittle, so I replaced that. Now the car is fine - even better, actually. The gas milage is steadily climbing up, better than it has EVER been. What the gently caress? That hose has nothing to do with the problems it was exhibiting, but uhhh... ok. I'll take that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

goatse guy posted:

I dig the quirkiness of the Kia Soul.

Yea its kinda neat but then I drove one and it was fun as hell, even with an automatic. The manuals have to be a blast.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

Your C10 makes up for this post.

New avatar is great, do you know who bought that for you?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Did you ever check to see if you actually still have fluids in there?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

That is just impossibly cool stuff to have

No poo poo. Dan Gurney is a cool as hell dude (and still kicking it, miraculously enough - all too few of his contemporaries are) and the family tie makes it that much better.

freelop posted:

Is it wrong to like the look of the 2014 beetle?
The original style is still better but of the "new beetles" this one seems really quite nice. There's been a few on the roads locally

I put the New New Beetle firmly in the category of "car I can appreciate even if I never want to own one". There's been a few running around here already with aftermarket steelies for quite some time now and it's a hell of a combination.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

New avatar is great, do you know who bought that for you?

I thought I did, but apparently not.

Oh well, Thanks anyways! :3:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

I thought I did, but apparently not.

Oh well, Thanks anyways! :3:

That's a hell of a custom title.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Viggen posted:

Send one to me. :v: I'm on a HP DV2313cl with a flaky power port that I bought super cheap as a refurb in maybe 2007? At least I upgraded to a giant 2GB RAM and ditched Vista for Win7. WEI is 3.0 :shepicide: And this is my good laptop. The drat thing refuses to die though, and I'm too cheap to replace it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My HP G60 refuses to die as well. The backspace key is falling off and the battery life is poo poo but it continues to trudge on. I recently took the covers off and blew all the dust out. It seems like the battery rebounded a little and running a little cooler.

Its like an old relative your waiting for it to die.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
You know... I always hear about how terrible comcast customer service is, and I've personally never really had a problem...

Moved, shut down old service, set up new service. All well and good, no problems. Try to go link up my new account to my old login and get tossed at the "online agent" Ooooook. Vikas - this can only end well. You sure do talk a lot like a Bot. Oh, you're going to set me up with a new login and password, awesome (not). Here's your login, next I'll get you your password. But first let me tell you about this new package which could save you so much more money! Oh golly gee, I only just activated the service last loving week. Do you think I've changed my mind already on wanting any sort of cable at all? Ummmmm, no. Not so much.

loving wonderful, so you completely didn't read ANYTHING I told you because either you're a bot or your english as a second language instructor loving blew it (and/or you are a barely functional human being, but let's give a little benefit of the doubt) so now I have to start from scratch with everything, and get offers for more services I never wanted in the first place through the duration of our lovely littler conversation? Sign me the gently caress up buddy!

Edit: but of course, I can't add the old email I used to manage my old account because it's still registered for a (dead) account that isn't this one!

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 24, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I've never had any issues either, but I grew up in the pre-internet era and take care of business by going over and talking with a human being face to face with my equipment in hand. Talking to tech support on the phone to end service is like breaking up with your girlfriend via text.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

keykey posted:

Talking to tech support on the phone to end service is like breaking up with your girlfriend via text.

I've done this. Not the ending the service, but the other thing.

A customer came into my dealership the other day and looked so familiar. She actually cringed when I tried to shake her hand, and I realized that she was probably still mad that I broke up with her cousin over text two years ago.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I got 99 problems, but a frame ain't one.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

I've done this. Not the ending the service, but the other thing.

A customer came into my dealership the other day and looked so familiar. She actually cringed when I tried to shake her hand, and I realized that she was probably still mad that I broke up with her cousin over text two years ago.

Ok, that is it. I'm going to start calling you Mrs. Rhyno.

Black88GTA posted:

Send one to me. :v:

Want one? I could send you one for about $80 shipped CONUS (or pretty close to that). Bought the one to bring the relatives kicking and screaming into this century, and realized "Huh, this isn't that far off from what I've been using for years." Except mines a Dell. :v:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Anyone have some industry connections to buy or get a sample of some bearings?

I need a Nachi 2903 thrust bearing or equivalent, but mcmaster wants $30 each, I've never had any luck with alibaba but they list them under $2 (min order 5).

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man, I hate being sick. Looks like I got my journeyman sick yesterday too, so I get the day off. He texted me as I was getting in my car. I told him I just got done barfing in the street but he didn't seem as enthusiastic as me to get to work today.

On the plus side I'm finally meeting an internet friend today after 5 years. So that should be fun.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Ok, that is it. I'm going to start calling you Mrs. Rhyno.

I'm like the Rhyno of dating.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ssjonizuka posted:

You know... I always hear about how terrible comcast customer service is, and I've personally never really had a problem...

Moved, shut down old service, set up new service. All well and good, no problems. Try to go link up my new account to my old login and get tossed at the "online agent" Ooooook. Vikas - this can only end well. You sure do talk a lot like a Bot. Oh, you're going to set me up with a new login and password, awesome (not). Here's your login, next I'll get you your password. But first let me tell you about this new package which could save you so much more money! Oh golly gee, I only just activated the service last loving week. Do you think I've changed my mind already on wanting any sort of cable at all? Ummmmm, no. Not so much.

loving wonderful, so you completely didn't read ANYTHING I told you because either you're a bot or your english as a second language instructor loving blew it (and/or you are a barely functional human being, but let's give a little benefit of the doubt) so now I have to start from scratch with everything, and get offers for more services I never wanted in the first place through the duration of our lovely littler conversation? Sign me the gently caress up buddy!

Edit: but of course, I can't add the old email I used to manage my old account because it's still registered for a (dead) account that isn't this one!

I'm still trying to get them to come out and clean up a downed cable in my yard.

I don't know why I don't just go out there and disconnect it myself. I don't even have Comcast. I called AT&T and they came out within a couple of days only to say it wasn't theirs, it was Comcast.

It's been two and a half months now, and I call them daily. I'm on my third ticket in two weeks.

If it comes to it, I'll totally interrupt service for whoever gets it through that line. I just don't want to be the rear end in a top hat. I'm fairly new to the neighborhood and I don't want to be THAT guy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CornHolio posted:

It's been two and a half months now, and I call them daily. I'm on my third ticket in two weeks.

If it comes to it, I'll totally interrupt service for whoever gets it through that line. I just don't want to be the rear end in a top hat. I'm fairly new to the neighborhood and I don't want to be THAT guy.

It's been two and a half months, gently caress em. Can you trace the cable to see who you'll be disconnecting? If not you waited a lot longer than I would have.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's been two and a half months, gently caress em. Can you trace the cable to see who you'll be disconnecting? If not you waited a lot longer than I would have.

It goes back underground in my neighbor's yard. I don't know if it's just his service or if it's for a bunch of people in that direction.

I don't want to piss him off, he has a really swell '69 Camaro and what looks to be a Charger in his 4-car garage.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

CornHolio posted:

It goes back underground in my neighbor's yard. I don't know if it's just his service or if it's for a bunch of people in that direction.

I don't want to piss him off, he has a really swell '69 Camaro and what looks to be a Charger in his 4-car garage.

Run it over with a lawnmower when you mow the lawn. Then it's an "accident". Your neighbors can't be pissed at you for that.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Run it over yourself but tell them the guy you pay to mow your lawn didn't see it and hit it.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Remove the cable and sell it then blame it on the local theiving gypos

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CornHolio posted:

Have you asked him about it? If it's his or his and some other people he may know. If a neighbor asked me about a Comcast cable laying in their yard and explained the situation I'll tell them to cut the thing.

Well that was a fun day, got the system booted with 2 minutes to spare. No surprise the start-up/shutdown guide they had is outdated and missing a bunch of stuff.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Mother loving $245 speeding ticket. The hits keep on coming smh.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So I have been thinking about how weird it is to see some cars start to appreciate in value (See: E30) recently and thought an interesting topic would be what cars you think are at the bottom of their price range. I don't think it merits it's own thread or anything but a lot of cars I have always thought were cool are getting so cheap that it seems unlikely they could dip much further. Some of what I am thinking:
  • E36 M3
  • AP1 Honda S2000
  • Nissan 350Z (I will likely catch flack for this, but I have always liked these)
  • C5 Corvettes (I would almost say these are probably on the upswing from what I have seen prices at in the past)

What others can you guys think of?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Mother loving $245 speeding ticket. The hits keep on coming smh.

Work zone or were you loving flying in Virginia?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think C5s have a bit further to go down - look at C4 pricing. I don't think they'll ever get as cheap as malaise-era C3s though.

Air-cooled 911s of any vintage and trim have been appreciating at an insane rate for a while. I really, really hope it's a bubble :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I have been thinking about how weird it is to see some cars start to appreciate in value (See: E30) recently and thought an interesting topic would be what cars you think are at the bottom of their price range. I don't think it merits it's own thread or anything but a lot of cars I have always thought were cool are getting so cheap that it seems unlikely they could dip much further. Some of what I am thinking:
  • E36 M3
  • AP1 Honda S2000
  • Nissan 350Z (I will likely catch flack for this, but I have always liked these)
  • C5 Corvettes (I would almost say these are probably on the upswing from what I have seen prices at in the past)

What others can you guys think of?

I broke even when I sold my Allante and got 5 digits for it. I bought it for 4 digits.

Body parts are getting scarce ($1000 taillights and headlights) so I probably could have made more parting it out (even though it was in good shape).

• Locked thread