Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

That kid looks like he needs an alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Completely different subject, iCloud seems to have suffered a security weakness and the internet is exploding because of it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Anphear posted:

So many noodz.

Yeah, it's really something unprecedented. I feel kinda bad for all those unwittingly involved, but at the same time I'm like...not. I care more about how this reflects our collective wanton disregard for digital era security. Perhaps I'm just old.

Also, Jennifer Lawrence is pretty hot and I would do the sex with her if I could get my dick to work on this clonidine.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 1, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

rscott posted:

The irony of reddit and 4chan getting up in arms about the NSA getting up in their junk and then acting like christmas came 3 months early when someone hacked iCloud and invaded a bunch of people's privacy isn't lost on everyone but me right? Because :ironicat:

I see it, but I also suspect a large number of the users of both sites feel like an underclass with little say in how the world at large operates. When you feel that way, and then see members of an elite circle of that world acting out in these ways privately, and get caught doing it via a lack of understanding or over-reliance in the security in the one world where you do have power and understanding, the world of technology, well that's a bit thrilling. I think for some it's created sense of winning. Also the women in these photos are all ridiculously beautiful.

I'm not condoning that these people deserve to have their private lives exposed this way or that it's right for anyone to now disseminate those pictures, despite the fact they're now scrambled eggs and never going back together again. I'm only offering a possible understanding.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 1, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

blk posted:

I need a moving truck for a one-day, ~150 mile move. I've done the same trip before with Budget and thought the truck was going to fall apart at any minute; I've used them in-town before with more mixed success. U-Haul I've only used once but didn't feel it was that much better. Penske I hear great things about, but they're the most expensive.

Budget comes to ~ $ 90
U-haul is ~ $120
Penske is ~ $175

What would you choose?

In my experience U-Haul one-way trucks are better than their in-town, and U-Haul has done a lot to modernize their fleet over the last decade. Still, it's U-Haul, so expect a go-gently caress-yourself attitude in every respect and be pleasantly surprised if you are treated as anything less than a mild annoyance.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Sorry guys, you're all wrong. M.A.S.K. is the the most AI cartoon.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I found this picture on the internet today. I want to feel sad about it, but the practical side overrules and says it just makes mine more rare.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm pretty sure I saw a Challenger Hellcat today. It was grey in color, seemed stiffly sprung, obviously had a lot of motor, and was wearing Michigan plates marked "manufacturer".

Anyway, it should be on the dashcam, so I'll pull the video later and post it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I came across this picture today. It's my uncle in 1954 sitting in the car he bought while underage after lying to a bank in order to convince them to loan him $16,500 to buy it. He then dropped out of Yale and spent a time in hiding from his father and racing the car.

My grandfather eventually tracked him down though. Having found my uncle and discovering this purchase, and the subsequent loan, refused to pay for the car, and being that my uncle was not old enough to sign a contract, the bank could not collect.

Unfortunately my uncle has since passed away and I do not know what happened to the car. He was considerably older than my father, roughly 15 years, and was a notorious playboy.

Anyway, try to guess the car. It took me a bit but I'm pretty sure I've got it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 23, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

$16,500 in 1954 is $145,000 today. Your Uncle must have been a master con artist.

Yes, he was. He used those skills for a time working for Anheuser-Busch, in marketing, specifically for the Busch beer division. There he coined the slogan "Head for the mountains" and was instrumental in the creation of the Busch racing league. He then left Anheuser to run a racing team. Anyway, I guess if you can convince people to drink Busch beer then you're also the kind of guy who can convince a bank to loan a 17 year old kid $145,000 to buy a race car. Mind you he was also attending Yale (in his second year) when this happened. He was quite brilliant.

You Am I posted:

It's right hand drive, so won't be an Alfa. Going to be British, like an Aston Martin or Jaguar. However I can not find any Jags or A-Ms of that area that looks like that car. The front drum brakes tells me it probably isn't a Jag, as they jumped on the disc brakes wagon soon after World War 2.

It's definitely British, which makes ID kinda tough since there was so much cottage industry in automobile manufacturing. The car itself is of a small run, I believe around 25 of them where made. The picture alone should have enough information to figure it out.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks a lot like the car on the Elva Wikipedia article that's tagged as an Elva Mk IIa.

That's it, it's a very early Elva.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
More "my uncle is cool" stuff below.

I've been told (by my crazy cousin) that this is my uncle and Henry Ford II presenting the GT40. I'm a bit more interested in that truck though. Anyone have any clues where I could find more info on it, cause it looks cool as gently caress.

This poster is something coveted by my cousin, it's signed by Dan Gurney and addressed to my uncle, "Mercury Monty". I'm not sure if my cousin knows I have this, but he's been hording up all the family assets about his father, especially racing stuff.

This is a pit-crew jacket from the Mercury team, it belonged to my uncle. I'd guess someone would likely pay a lot of money for that jacket.

Close-up of the patch:

The totality of my little shrine. The red shirt on the right is mine from my days driving a tow-truck.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm guilty of liking the current (A5 platform) Beetle as well. I keep waiting for time to prove me stupid.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm about as anti-VAG as you can get and even I have to admit the newest Beetle looks good, especially with the wheels that look like classic steelies.

I want a set of those wheels on my Sportwagen.

Also, laughing at anti-vag. I was just watching Parks and Rec last night where some guy at a community hearing wanted to tax "all bad things", including womens' vaginas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Company was going to PAY some other business to take this stuff. I said I'd take it for free, so I did.

I got two 6509 with four sup720 cards, four power supplies and enough accessory cards to populate both to 80% capacity. Mostly 10/100/1000 cards, but there are fiber cards and SFP cards. I also got a 3800 router, a 2800 router, two 7206 routers, one 8540 switch, three 3524 switches and three 4400 wireless controllers. Plus some other bits and pieces.

• Locked thread