Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

More like

All thats missing is some Q Lazzarus and a pair of coveralls made from human flesh.

Good bye horsepower, I'm aligning over you.

Edit: I nominate The Wacky Races as being more AI than any of us could ever hope to be:

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Naaah, I said finger prints.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

It's a stranger out to find you

There's a stranger out to find you.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

freelop posted:

Haven't heard any mention of Wacky Racers either

1st page niggaaaaa.

Also Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was a pretty lame show, but its AI as hell with a mixture of TFR and DIY & Hobbies thrown in to boot.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Baram posted:

NJ banned Tesla sales too. I still see them all over already though.

Just because they blocked the sales via factory direct doesn't mean they didn't block the ability for a NJ resident to go to a neighboring state to purchase and import it, or does it? Not familiar with your laws on the books of Tesla. From what I understand it only bars the selling of factory direct but not an intermediary.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

I now have 2 full PerkTV dedicated 'droid sets running off one plug. Need to finish automating things, but the latest PTV clients are a lot less crashy.

What is a PerkTV and how does it work?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Guinness is horrible.

Unless you use 2 bottles to cook with corned beef in a pressure cooker, that's the only reason we have Guinness. I think we still have 4 left in the fridge from St. Paddy's day.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Honestly, I don't know if I hate dealing with instructors or students the most. Either way, on the management side of things, it's a poo poo sandwich of listening to retarded problems. Having worked in the real world until 8 years ago, I'm completely jaded to their non-issues. I'd love to see how the majority of them would actually perform outside of the warm womb of academia. Protip: there's a reason why people like me have to baby sit them.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

Both you and Super Aggro sound like lovely people to be around.

I deal with issues on the IT side of things and there are a few cool people out there, but for the most part it's people who freeze up with any stress at all and turn into total assholes. Here's a smattering of "issues" just this week:

"I GOT TO MY CLASSROOM THIS MORNING AND YOUR PEOPLE DID SOMETHING BUT I COULDN'T TEACH!!!!"
Person doesn't know what the gently caress a power button is apparently.

"I USED YOUR WEBSITE LAST NIGHT NOW MY LAPTOP WON'T WORK"
OK, where did you go after that? *click* hello? Welp, I guess that answers that..

"MY DVD DRIVE WON'T ACCEPT DISCS, EVERY TIME I PUT ONE IN IT JUST SPITS IT OUT!"
Students flipped the desktop upside down. This was a computer instructor..

"WHY AREN'T MY FILES ON THE PC IN THE CLASSROOM WHEN I SAVE THEM TO THE C DRIVE IN MY OFFICE?!? THIS IS CLEARLY BROKEN AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!"
Uhhh.. Let me show you how a "C drive" works..

We get all the retards of the universe calling in and we get the task that nobody wants.. We have to talk them off a ledge while smiling and act like it's our fault, because god forbid you crack a tiny bit of their ego. they're instruPROFESSORS!!! There was actually a series of meetings for 6 months here that went on because they wanted people to call them professors. Seriously, that's the temper tantrum bullshit that happens behind the scenes of the ivory tower.. So forgive me if I'm a little bit cynical about their job being soooooo harrrrrrrd....

edit: And yes, those were the ones I personally dealt with because "Your people are too incompetent to take care of my issues." :bang:

double edit: Also, I could imagine how much worse it would be to deal with not only students but also their parents at the jr. high - high school level since they've apparently graduated from retardation finishing school by the time they get to us.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 5, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

.... while also not being able to discipline the little fuckers, because, oh my God, you might hurt their self-esteem, let alone spank the little bastards, as they so richly deserve.

That's not quite the issue at hand. The issue is the system is churning out kids/adults that are led to believe that just because they go to school they are entitled to a job or even a certain standard. that's not the way it works, you have to work and be willing to accept the poo poo jobs to begin with to build a resume and to not only realize an opportunity, but take it. As of now, it's more of a congrats, you have a bachelors, so does drat near everybody else. A bachelors is the new high school diploma. Honestly, the program we have here where students will earn the highest amount of money out of this place because we have instructors that work in the industry with a direct line of work is welding. Guess what we are cutting next year so we can pad more programs that are worthless until you get a masters? Don't get me wrong, school is great, however somewhere along the way we have lost the greater vision of vocational programs. Believe it or not, not everybody who graduates with a psychology degree will be a psychologist.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

I do agree with you on the vocational stuff, but you're shooting the messenger by placing the blame at academia's feet.

With student loans and the cost of education being as outrageous as it is today, it isn't unfair to share blame this direction either. Student loans is a highly profitable business, we just so happen to have salesmen and women in every classroom, here's how to order!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/25/federal-student-loan-profit/3696009/

meatpimp posted:

Just like the "fastest/best car" thing. There's always something faster/better.

Truth. My thing can beat up your thing! No huh, yeah huh!

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 5, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's cute that you somehow seem to think anyone in the private sector is somehow less retarded about computers than people in academia.

I'd be hard pressed to choose any one industry with a higher number of computer retards, but real estate and academia are neck in neck on this one. Most people just accept that they don't know what they're doing and I'm cool with that. I'd rather deal with people that accept they don't know what they're talking about rather than the ones that are dangerous enough to get into control panel and that means they know everything, ever. It's been close to 8 years since I was GM at regional computer place inc, but I'd gladly take those customers over our current ones. Either that or maybe it's a sign of the times that people think they know everything and believe that if anything happens it isn't their fault? What's the general consensus for you people out there in corporate tech land, is this just an industry wide thing now? People with issues didn't use to be this annoying.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Hey she could still come back, maybe she got trapped in a shed or garage somewhere and she'll be let out, stranger things have happened.

We live in the country so cats come and go fairly frequently. There's a Russian blue that decided to adopt us and lived here for close to 3 years. He disappeared in January, we figured he either got ran over or he moved on in any case we thought he was gone. He showed back up 2 months ago out of the blue meowing at the back door and hangs out around the barn, he uses the Kubota tractor seat as a bed now.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

We have slipped a long way from that place, though, and the rise of unions is something that needs to happen. Simply from a wage disparity viewpoint, it's far too simple to prove exploitation.

I really want to agree with what you said, but I also believe there is a fine line of legislation to union to work place. The balance hasn't been struck yet, hell this is one of those hot button MBA topics that gets talked about by every single class, especially relating to HR and theory. There are a lot of ideas, but the hard part is finding a balance between them all.

rscott posted:

Well sure, if you want to get rid of corporations too. But having everyone be self employed seems like a rather utopian idea that's quaint on the level of Thomas Jefferson wishing the United States would be a largely rural agrarian society. The 90s were largely an aberration built on the dotcom bubble, and to be honest, things weren't even that great back then either. Certainly a bit better than they are now, but the downward spiral of the quality of life for working class americans started back in 1968.

I'd like to think that on some level people generally are self starters, it all depends on their motivation. The larger question at hand though is how do you motivate somebody who clearly lacks motivation, intrinsically or extrinsically, and the ability to self start? If anybody can figure out that equation, they'd make money hand over fist.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Snapchat? Sure I'll bite. Clowntree

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hahaha, which one of you is backdoorsluts5?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

2 year old dickpics. pretty sure I was about 50lb fatter then too.

Ooooooooo lalaaa.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Real talk. http://youtu.be/K5lgwopmKMw

CSB edition: http://youtu.be/8wpYvvgkLuk

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

Mixing half a bottle of sam adams oktoberfest into a few pounds of hamburger meat makes for some bomb rear end burgers, speaking of which. Substitute your favorite appropriate beer to taste. I need to try using brooklyn brewery russian imperial stout next.

Beer + meat usually = better. It tenderizes and caramelizes the meat a little. Beer is the "secret recipe" to my grandpas ribs, also slow cooking in the oven before throwing the on the grill.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Saw a goog barge today on the water. They're a lot smaller than I would have imagined.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

The Foo Fighters are on the alt/lol/80s/whatever station and I suddenly feel really loving old.

I overheard a conversation last week by 2 college freshman in the quad. One asked what that other was into. The other said something along the lines of "I dunnoooo, you know i guess like classic rock like Green Day?" Little fuckers.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I feel old, but I am relatively young for the neighborhood we live in.

Turns out getting older isn't so bad so far :unsmith:

The neighborhood we lived in before we moved to the country was a lot like that, we were the youngest people there by a good 40 years. It was amazing because you could hear a pin drop at night so trying to get sleep was a non issue. If we had people over and were going to be in the backyard, we just let our neighbors know if we got too loud to come over or give us a call and we'll take care of it. It was a pretty chill place to live.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Kind of a cool kickstarter, though I personally would have though his 30k stretch goal should have just been a given and not a stretch goal at all and certainly his 25k/30k are reversed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/etx/canbus-triple-the-car-hacking-platform?ref=nav_search

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

I've decided that buying a house is definitely not in my near future or maybe ever because I am hilariously afraid of committment.

Looks like one of these are in your future: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Actually, I think they're pretty cool, but are hilariously overpriced for what they are.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

"I think it was a car or something. Never seen one outside. Him either."

"Found an old Saab unit, it said something about West Saab Story."
"Hmmm."
"I think it may mean ol' Viggen."
"Don't listen to it, Viggen is just a crazy old man."

Actually, funny you should mention that video my wife saw that a while back and got the itch to build again. She helped her grandpa build their house.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

My friend has a house from the 1920s with the original pink bathroom and kitchen, and I love it to death. If I did have an old house, I'd want to do it in a period-correct style with a pink bathroom.

We bought a house and lived in it for 3 1/2 years before selling it that was built in 1919. That thing was a Winchester mystery house of questionable previous "improvements." It only had 3 build dates associated with it, the 3rd being the renno we did before moving in and within the first few areas we went through, it was really obvious that there were many more builds associated with it than just the 2 previous. Also, none of the previous improvements before listed a garage as a structure and it was not part of the original building. As a rule now, I won't buy anything that was built previous to 1975.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You are young.... you will find you know less and less for a while then you get to 29-30 and for some reason a switch flips and you know you know poo poo about life, but for some reason you know way more about yourself. It works equally well in relationships.

Long story short, hang in there :thumbsup:

All this right there. I think it's a part of growing up and networking with a lot of the right people but at some point, and I don't know when, I became the "go to" guy for pretty much everything. Oh, ask keykey he either knows what it is/the fix for the issue or knows somebody that does. All my family/friends do this, even my boss does this. The thing I hate is calls out of the blue from friend/family that I haven't talked to in 20 years or in some case never and the phone call always starts the same. Hi, how are you? Long time no see, heeeeeey gotta quick question..

Viggen posted:

gently caress YOU WINDOW ROLLERS. gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU!

Them rollers breakin', you hatin'. That's one thing I don't miss on my Saab.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

It doesn't help that this happened immediately before 4 hours of grueling work - when I couldn't just pop the card and stick them in. Ugh. Rear passenger door, too. Time to bleed is rapidly approaching.

If/when I get another Saab, I'm just replacing those all around to begin with on general principle. I replaced my drivers side front 2 times, drivers rear once, passenger side front once. I did have to go to pnp for a new window actuator for the drivers front because when it broke, I was at work so I just pushed it and rolled it up so it wouldn't be down so my parking pass didn't get stolen. When I got home I went to replace it and noticed the arm was twisted.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pretty much. Kick his rear end out, he's his families problem not yours. If his family doesn't want him, he's still not your problem.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

Kick him out before he has any mail sent to your address, if you wait too long you won't be able to kick him out even if you wanted too.

I completely forgot about that. If his mailing address is your house, he's technically a resident and requires a notice to kick out. At least that's how it works in CA.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Bajaha posted:

There's got to be more to this. Can I legally (in CA at least) have my mailing address as a random persons house and squat there until they give me notice to leave? Rinse and repeat and you can get free housing a few days (weeks?) At a time?

They have to be physically at that address as well. In goatse's case the person would be 1/2 way there, if he changed his legal mailing address there, then in CA it'd be a done deal and would require a legal notice of removal.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If he does, show him how much you love him with the gift of a civil harassment restraining order.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I dunno, I think I have every right to just disconnect it and coil it up by my trash. It is on my property, I do not want it on my property, I tried to get the owner (Comcast) to remove it from my property, they did not comply, I therefore removed it from my property.

I get the feeling this is like a neighbors tree sort of deal. It's theirs unless it's on my side of the fence at which pointI get to do whatever I feel like doing to it, but only to the portion that's on my side.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CornHolio posted:

A buddy of mine brought over his Z3 yesterday so I could try to find an exhaust leak. Dark green, impeccable shape. God drat it's a beautiful car.

My gut instinct says those are going to bubble in the next decade. They can be had for around 3500-8500 depending on condition in this area, but I get the feeling prices are bottoming out right now. I've always liked the way those look better than the Z4's.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I don't think the 3.0 was available in the E36... so more like the engines (sans V8, shame really :v: ) that were in the E39.

BMW had to make a weird rear end overpriced exclusive somewhat appealing, that's where the Z8 came in. :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looking at that site, I just realized that gullwings were the "lambo doors" of the 80's.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

Mine had shingles installed

Wood or asphalt?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rscott posted:

Well it was with a 12 year old sooooooo

drat, well.. Have fun working with a kiddie diddler.

Speaking of sex offenders database playing it fast and loose, one of my dads friends has to register as "lewd and/or lascivious acts in public" for life. The reason? He and a buddy decided it would be funny to do a naked beer run in college in the early 70's at 3 am at a 7-11.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

"Today I pissed off both NADCAP and NAMBLA. It was a good day."

You didn't even need to use your AK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

:snoop:

:whatup:

• Locked thread