Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda disappointed by the Jenifer Lawrence pics, not even one pussy shot :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Haha, I was just going to ridicule his lack of digging.

Please ridicule me meatpimp for not properly finding hacked nudes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is this where I ridicule you for taking me seriously?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Him: seems like a bunch of work to do preventative maintenance.
Me: its cheaper now than later.
Him: that makes no sense to fix stuff that isn't broke.

"That's why it's called preventive, dumbass."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Damnit why are Caterham cars so expensive in the US? I just want a light weight fun car to drive without welding one together myself.

There are these cool lightweight RWD cars that are fun to drive called Miatas. Ever heard of them?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I have to go to Florida this weekend because my last grandparent passed away. Hop on Kayak... Cool, $400 for a flight from Raleigh to Orlando with a stop in Miami; 6 hour total flight time plus getting a rental car and driving down to Vero Beach (1.5-2 hours).

If you wanna stay on the beach I can get you a room cheap. Would be a 2 hour drive to Orlando tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I wish to not speak much of it, but theres a fine line between busting a childs rear end and breaking a couple ribs.

I know the fine line, Most people (including my parents) don't.

Spanking you own child and other people spanking your child are two different things. Sorry, but no one is going to physically discipline my child, especially if I choose not to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Methamphetamine in the water cooler would probably work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTOB3z12Lc

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

I am entirely unused to this happening.

When it rains it pours so take advantage, never know when you're gonna have another dry spell :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You guys and your work boots, I wear flip flops to work :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh we have those here too. They're all over Disney property.
And lizards own bones. It's nice have something that isn't spiders to eat all the bugs around here.
Plus how can you not love this little guy:

I have them all over my back yard and feed them crickets all the time. They love me and will come out to see me whenever I'm in the yard and sometimes they follow me around. They can't resist a twitching cricket and will eat right out of your hands. Wanna see a video? Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08f1vCjJS8c

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know a good place to get ammunition online? I'm in need of .38, 9mm, .25 and .22, I've heard that .22 is almost impossible to get right now, is that true?

I figured there's enough TFR posters here that I don't actually need to go to TFR :v:

Also any advice on types of ammo would be great since I don't know squat about it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

For what? Range food is range food (other than .22 - a lot of them are picky and it has nothing to do with price. You find one or two that work and stick with them).

If it's for defense the current LEO carry around here is Speer Gold Dot. Seems to work quite well.

Both, but I just need some for self defense right now, I've got a bunch of guns and only one box of .38 rounds right now.

There's just so much out there with different grains and whatnot, I just want to get the best stopping power for my buck as far as the .38 and 9mm go.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

STOPPING POWAH!

Well, a lot of that depends on what bullet hose you are using. If the frame isn't +P rated your choices are more limited. If it's so small/light that +P is cumbersome it's also a concern.

But in general, any modern bonded hollow points are going to do just fine. Providing they actually feed properly and you are comfortable with them (recoil). Which means you need to shoot a box or two to make sure.

I've got a .38 S&W snub nose revolver and a Kel Tec 9mm P11. Revolver shoots hollow points just fine, but the Kel Tec will jam up at times with hollow points. IDK, maybe I need something more dependable for the Kel Tec to keep it from jamming up on me if I might really need it.

Also I don't know what +P means.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

It's sad that we as people are generally chickenshit and try to avoid that confrontation but that's the way it is. I was going to say something about how the silent treatment is cowardly, and then I remembered several times when I've done it. I usually don't but it has happened.

It's sad, but that's what you do when you're young because you don't handle confrontation well and can't communicate for poo poo, so it just ends up a festering grudge that gets worse the longer it goes on.

If I've learned anything about relationships, it's you need to squash any beefs immediately and move on if you want it to work. If you can't let poo poo go and love holding on to grudges you're bound fail eventually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryhampster posted:

Just cleaned the carpet in my bedroom with a rug doctor. That was loving gross.

I cleaned the seats in my miata with the upholstery attachment and holy Jesus :barf:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just spent 10k on a new roof for the house! Gotta love home ownership :smithicide:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kick him out before he has any mail sent to your address, if you wait too long you won't be able to kick him out even if you wanted too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Remember the new roof I was talking about? It just failed inspection, hooray for me!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That's the contractor's problem though, not yours... right? (yeah, there's the pain in the rear end of another tear off/install, but ultimately not your problem) :ohdear:

Yeah but it's still a pain and we're irritated about it. We tried to tell the contractor that the pitch wasn't steep enough for shingles, even the workers that installed the roof balked at it, but the owner insisted it would be fine. Inspector failed it in 2.2 seconds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No way all those EQ's are even functional, it's all window dressing :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Lemme guess, 2 in 12 pitch roof or lower? Owner or contractor is an idiot. Hell, I wouldn't use shingles in less than a 5-6 pitch, but it's legal on 2, at least in some areas... it is absolutely asking for problems in an ice dam prone climate if your roof isn't steep as poo poo.

I guess in Florida it'd be more an issue of driven rain.

Yep. He insisted that the underlayment (peel n' stick) trumped the rule for some reason. Inspector said it doesn't matter what the gently caress they put under it, still shingles, still failed.

Never mind the work was shoddy, sloppiest loving flashing job I've ever seen and you can see it from the drat street. I'll post pics later, it's pretty bad.

I just feel like an idiot now for going with this company because a friend of my wife's works for them and we got a "friends and family discount". gently caress me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I meant the owner of the roofing company. We were concerned about the pitch being an issue and he talked to us personally to say it wasn't a problem. Well now it's his problem because we aren't paying him a dime.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the inspector said that the manufacturer probably wouldn't approve of it either.

Yay.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Thinking about getting a late 90s/early 00s full-size sedan, like a Mercury Grand Marquis or a Buick Park Ave/Lesabre. Any particular minefields I need to watch out for?

("why that era?" price range i'm seeing on CL, price seems to spike up on everything past like 2003. "why a full-size?" because i want a big comfy seat.)

Can't really go wrong with a panther, one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned for sure. Check out the panther thread.

Fucknag posted:

I am not house-savvy, why is tile on a shallow sloped roof A Bad Thing?

Mine had shingles installed, which apparently is not good on a low slope for water intrusion, and from what the inspector said will not last nearly as long as a result.

Tile is a another story, not sure how it would work but I can't afford a tile roof anyway that poo poo is expensive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

Wood or asphalt?

Asphalt. Wood isn't used in Florida for whatever reason.

Check out the awesome flashing work done by skilled craftsmen!

Also didn't mention that they did the flat part of the roof two different ways because they ran out of materials, see if you can spot the difference between the two:

Oh yeah and there's this gem too, flashing right over the loving vent. Why notch it a few inches, right?

Guaranteed water will get behind that in a hard rain.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 12, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

And for good reason. I can't fathom why anyone tolerates them.

I like their older stuff, but they jumped the shark quite awhile ago.

Also thanks for effectively talking me out of an iPod touch :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

Holy poo poo. Don't ever move your s/o unless you want to find out how much of a hoarder they are.

Women are hoarders because they get emotionally attached to material possessions and can't let go. It's a constant fight with my wife, she has more poo poo than our house can hold and just recently acquired more poo poo after her mother sold the house she grew up in. poo poo upon poo poo, and more poo poo on top of that poo poo. I never understood it and probably never will, but you gotta compromise when you love someone. If she kept everything she wanted we'd be on an episode of hoarders.

keykey posted:

Sounds like you need to establish a safe word.

Pumpkin Patch

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I was thinking about picking up a new camera... But I dont need anything special, but something a little better than those slim cams and so on.

Any suggestions? Most people say Cannon DSLR.

You could pick up a used 20D pretty cheap, it's what I still use, and although I'd love a full frame it's more than enough to take great pictures.

Also what are these "mirrorless" Canons that meatpimp speaks of, never heard of them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well back in the day I made a living with two 20D's.

But I had glass that was worth a helluva lot more than the bodies :v:

[edit] But honestly, if you don't want to learn how to shoot manually don't bother with an slr because it won't make much of a difference over most P&S cameras these days.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 22, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Zoom lenses are for pussies, you zoom with your feet :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^ Never worked my way up to be able to afford one of those :(

Cat Terrist posted:

I use my 70-200 IS 2.8 L for hand to hand combat. Primes just shatter.

Haha. Yeah for sports you gotta have zoom lenses, the 70-200 was my bread and butter and paid for itself many times over. Also worked well for self defense when attached to a body and beefy strap :)

If you're using a zoom lens for portraits though you're doing it wrong.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I have some Fuji X series stuff. Mirrorless is pretty awesome and Fuji is knocking it out of the park. <3 my X-E1 and 35mm f/1.4

You got me curious and I looked into this......Seriously thinking about ditching my slr now because I loved my rangefinder Leica/35mm setup and just got tired of dealing with film. This looks like the next best thing in digital form because no way am I ever gonna be able to afford Leica digital cameras.

PM me some example images when you get a chance, will ya?

the spyder posted:

Depends on what you are shooting. Honestly it's a 50/50 mix. I own a few Nikons and glass at home, but at work we shoot Canon.

Who do you work for spyder? Do you get your equipment supplied to you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I can't say quite what we do, but Aerial Photography is close enough. We have hundreds of thousands in Mark III's, 6D/7D's, prime 35/85/200/400mm lenses. Sadly being around this place has made me just blah when it comes to photography or technology. Oh, you bought a SSD for your computer and it's 10x faster? How cute. *Insert picture of 24 SSD's + 512GB Ram + 2 Nvidia GTX's from work here*.

I really want to find a smaller camera like the Fuji above. One of our dev's has the Olympus variant and loves it. Otherwise I'm going to do something stupid and buy a new DSLR.

Wow, I knew a few guys that had their gear supplied to them but not many. Would be fun though to have all that at your disposal. You should try to get a credential to an MLB game and put that 400 to work. I did sports and I would have killed for a long prime lens to use for just one weekend!

Funny enough though, I got out of the business because the local studio I worked with (about 70% of my income) decided to strike a deal with Canon so they didn't need contractors anymore. And I wasn't gonna work for $9.50 an hour :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Serious answer: Unless you know why you need a DSLR, buy a used Sony RX100II.

Hello there. Looks like an even better deal than the Fuji.

quote:

Just rent one from somewhere like borrowlenses. My ur-X100 is the only digital camera I use frequently (normally I lug around my Pentax and 5 primes because apparently I'm not sick of film).

I seriously at one point considered turning our 2nd bedroom into a darkroom. You can imagine what happened with that idea. I also got rid of an AE-1 that I really regret because it was the best all around camera I ever owned. I can one of those cheap though :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I picked up a 2tb Seagate at Best Buy for 80 bucks not too long ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

^^^^

That's totally the way to go, and you know you can find a 996 with a $12k repair estimate in the hands of some crying dude and tow the thing out of his driveway for like $4k.

I so want to do this in the worst way, I wonder how many people scrap them for nothing, I'll take one for scrap value :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So our HHR was driven through some deep water after an awesome deluge here, not deep enough to get into the intake, however now the idle is higher than normal (1k rpm), the car is vibrating like it has bad motor mounts, and the A/C compressor kicks on and off constantly with the A/C on. The compressor is the lowest accessory on the motor and was probably under water for a period of time, is it possible the compressor is causing the symptoms? The idle remains high whether the a/c is on or off.

Thinking about resetting the ecu but I'm not too hopeful that it will do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's drive by wire.

• Locked thread