Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Didn't stop him from having a better season than any Ravens receiver ever. I saw Calvin against the Bengals last year and that might have been one of his finest performances to date. He may not have been 100 percent but 40 Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson usually plays better than he did against us, and it sure as poo poo wasn't due to our outstanding defense. (Though Jimmy Smith did play him alright)

Yea that was actually one of Jimmy's better games, and the one that showed me that he can be a really good physical corner now that he's finally getting over getting beaten by double moves constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

cucka posted:

The Lions didn't find a way to lose a game before the season starts, right? They're usually good for colossal gently caress ups.

Our really good GM looked at Jim Caldwell and said that will be our next coach.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Frank Gore is rushing for 500 yards week 1.

He's gonna need to at the rate the niners defense is falling apart.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Raiders will see the status of :stare:'s debilitating Matt Flynn disease this week in practice.

I'm really thinking Start Carr is going to actually happen for week one.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He'll be good. Jerry has an eye for linebacker talent. Remember this is the man who drafted Sean Lee, DeMarcus Ware, Dat Nguyen, among others. If Jerry and the coaching staff think McClain is the best option then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nope

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want you all to imagine something that I think will bring us all together in unity one last time before the season starts. Yes, even you Steelers fans.

I want you all to imagine what would've happened if Ha Ha Clinton-Dix had been up for the draft during the late '90s.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dix did an interview during the draft process and unsurprisingly elementary school during the Clinton years was a really bad time for him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I want you all to imagine something that I think will bring us all together in unity one last time before the season starts. Yes, even you Steelers fans.

I want you all to imagine what would've happened if Ha Ha Clinton-Dix had been up for the draft during the late '90s.

My little brother is 10 and a Packers fan. We watched the draft, and of course he was just sprinting around the house occasionally checking to see what players the Packers got (not the who knew anyone eligible) I was so happy for him when they got Ha Ha Clinton Dix. :3: He was stoked.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol 1 vs 31? Really? You think the 49ers and SeaHawks are going to join forces to hate on the Steelers?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Case Opened; Rams Claim Keenum

@AdamSchefter
Rams claimed QB Case Keenum on waivers, per team official. Rams spent a lot time researching Keenum past 24 hours.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I love that after Schwartz the Lions turned around and hired a man that makes oatmeal seem spicy:

quote:

ALLEN PARK, Mich. – Jim Caldwell came into Detroit in January and from the outset has tried to instill discipline and accountability in hopes of turning the LIons from one of the perennial losers in the NFL to a consistent winner.

He has been around winning franchises before, so he surmises he has seen what it takes to win. And he said Monday that he believes this Detroit team has similar characteristics to the winning squads he has coached before.

So how does he plan to do finish this rehabilitation of the Lions' image from 0-16 in 2008 to their current competitive-but-not-quite-enough state?

“It all depends on me,” Caldwell said. “I’m responsible for each and every little thing that goes on in this program. Bar none. Wins and losses. Conduct. Every single phase. Offense, defense, special teams, it all runs through me.

“So there is not anything that I don’t have responsibility for that doesn’t fall upon my shoulders.”

That includes the positive -- no players arrested this offseason -- and the negative -- same old penalty issues at times during the preseason. It includes making sure his players understand what is expected of them, what is allowed and what is prohibited.

On the field, that will rely on both a successful run game and stopping the run along with cutting down on the aforementioned penalties and on turnovers, which was a major issue for the Lions in 2013.

Off the field, it is a little bit different than when he was a college coach at Wake Forest and sold parents and guardians of prospects that he would be monitoring everything in their child's life during his time in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Now he’s dealing with NFL players, so he treats them as the men they are.

This has been mentioned multiple times by various players since Caldwell’s hire, and the players are appreciative of that.

“We still hold them to the same standards that anybody else would working for any other company. That they are still responsible for their own personal conduct, that we don’t hold their hand outside of this building,” Caldwell said. “I think it is our responsibility to make sure that we educate them and we do that on a daily basis. We talk about everything that comes up, every instance.
“Today we’ll discuss in detail the new policy the NFL just released in terms of domestic violence. We will talk about it in detail and that’s our responsibility to make certain that we do that and if we don’t do that, that’s my problem. That’s my fault.”

Caldwell has been straightforward with his players since the beginning of his tenure, and there’s little reason to think he won’t be when it comes to how he expects players to act on the field and off.

As far as the domestic violence policy instituted by the league -- where a first offense could be a six-game suspension without pay and a second offense could be anywhere from a year-long suspension to a lifetime ban -- Caldwell seems in favor of it.

“My thoughts are just like anything else with the NFL decides is best for the league,” Caldwell said. “That there are rules we should enforce and make certain we should enforce. We should support them wholeheartedly and make certain that our team understands them explicitly from top to bottom and even the spirit of the rules.

“So I’m certainly in favor of it and thus will express that to the team.”

:geno:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
NFL N/V WEEK 1: Stop Hitting Women You Jerks

Also, as a sad Cowboys fan I am betting 8-8 if Romo stays upright.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TeeMerk posted:

wow really going out on a limb there

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
My seasons are like a bad high school rendition of Groundhog Day starring Jerry Jones.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kalensc posted:

New football fan should consider rooting for the Steelers.

- Everyone else hates the Steelers so you're joining a fun 1 versus 31 rivalry.

- They were thoroughly mediocre last year so it's not bandwagoning.

- The vocal portion of the Steelers* fanbase is full of boorish dolts (* - technically true about all 32 teams). Help lead the change for good from the inside, be one of the few rational egalitarian Steelers fans.
-Plus their owner is not a shithead

-Its not hard to find a Steelers bar

-You too can pretend to be a part of an illusion that your team represents the blue collar working man that fights against the elitist bourgeois teams :ussr:

-Black and gold is a really cool color scheme

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

@JayGlazer Breaking: Raiders players have been informed that the team is making the switch at QB and starting Derek Carr over Matt Schaub

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

quote:

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 3m
Breaking: Raiders players have been informed that the team is making the switch at QB and starting Derek Carr over Matt Schaub

quote:

Breaking: Raiders players have been informed that the team is making the switch at QB and starting Derek Carr over Matt Schaub

quote:

quote:

quote:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Alot of fanfare for old news. :smug:

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
Carr Start

Start Carr

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Brannock posted:

I love that after Schwartz the Lions turned around and hired a man that makes oatmeal seem spicy:

:geno:

I used to have a co-worker who thought ketchup was spicy.

Also those Lions teams of the past couple years lived and died by their level of discipline and focus from week to week, as long as Caldwell doesn't bore them to sleep I'm willing to ride along for now.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

how dare the raiders deny us another shot at a bay area crowd chanting WE WANT CARR

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TeeMerk posted:

Not the record we want, but the record we deserve

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Well I'll be, elbow soreness really is the kiss of death.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So that's probably it for Matt Schaub being a starting QB without an injury helping him, huh

Gonna blame Suh for kicking him in the groin. He was never the same after that :smith:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

how dare the raiders deny us another shot at a bay area crowd chanting WE WANT CARR

might be funnier if they start chanting we want schaub

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Whoever posted "1 year ago was the Matt Flynn elbow injury" was a damned prophet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lol 1 vs 31? Really? You think the 49ers and SeaHawks are going to join forces to hate on the Steelers?

I was being diplomatic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3S5w64Tlg

Never the same since. RIP Schaub.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Schaub is like Carson Palmer he'll end up on another team in a year and suddenly be able to throw 60 yard balls again

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
"We want Shaub" O/U 2.5 games

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Football has been saved.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

This should have happened from the start.

Cut Shaub, Sign Rexy while we're at it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Cut Schaub, sign Sam.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

If Derek's bad, they'll just start chanting for David

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Quest For Glory II posted:

If Schaub is like Carson Palmer he'll end up on another team in a year and suddenly be able to throw 60 yard balls again

Palmer threw for 4,000 yards with the Raiders. It was mostly in garbage time, but his problem was always throwing picks. He threw the most of his career last season, so I think that having a top 10 defense helped the Cardinals a lot.

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine
trade Schaub to the Rams for a 4th rounder, sign Champ Bailey for veteran peanuts

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tim Twentyman posted:

Nick Fairley is again listed as the starting defensive tackle alongside Ndamukong Suh. Fairley lost that job to C.J. Mosley following the first preseason game, but Fairley steadily improved his play as the preseason went on.

He told reporters in the locker room after practice Monday that he hired a personal chef a couple weeks ago through his agent and is back between 305 and 310 pounds.

“It opened my eyes up,” Fairley said of his demotion. “They need me to play more consistent and that’s what they want out of me.”

Hope it works this time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Palmer threw for 4,000 yards with the Raiders. It was mostly in garbage time, but his problem was always throwing picks. He threw the most of his career last season, so I think that having a top 10 defense helped the Cardinals a lot.
He had his elbow problems with the Bengals, and his velocity dropped significantly, then he whined and fake-retired. Then the Raiders traded a 1st round pick for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Quest For Glory II posted:

He had his elbow problems with the Bengals, and his velocity dropped significantly, then he whined and fake-retired. Then the Raiders traded a 1st round pick for him.

and a second. :suicide:

• Locked thread