Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
As I have no idea who to root for, since I recently got into watching the NFL, I'm gonna ask you guys. I kinda like the patriots, I thought Gronkowski was a beast last year. That's pretty much the only non QB name I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003

Ehud posted:

Anyone but the Patriots.

Also, Gronk was hurt for most of last year so you may be thinking of somebody else.

Na that was him ! I remember when he got hurt, I was like "well, now I know noone". Probably saw him in some games the year before, I think I saw a couple.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Do you like watching a sure thing turn into a pit of despair? Do you enjoy the idea of every down becoming an adventure that could lead to catastrophe? Are you enthused by the idea of coming to dread every Sunday, or having your season mercifully cut short after 16 games? Do you want the highest highs, the lowest lows, and rooting for the only team that can honestly say they went an entire 16-game season without enjoying even the most meaningless of victories?

go lions

Well now we're talking, I like the drama. I also like the somewhat dejected look Elli has on his face after every play for some reason.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Late to the party but you guys post when I sleep :(.
There are biomechanicals risk factors for knee injuries, I don't know how relevant they are to a sport that is so highly traumatic though. It's pretty easy to be right when predicting that someone is gonna get hurt in such a sport, regardless of how they stand. As far as after an injury, this shouldn't be a problem with the high level of recovery equipement / physical therapy avalaible to the teams (like that awesome mini-pool I saw on hard knocks).

As far as muscular chains are concerned, researches are progressing rapidely as the study of fascia is hip as gently caress right now. Almost all of the physiological / pathological concepts of muscular chains are derived from a french one from the late 40's and they are not very good.
To try and make it simple, most concepts out there describe really precise sequences of muscles linked together by conjonctive tissues. The only problem is that a lot of that conjonctive tissue is fascia which is basically a sheet that cover your whole body just over the muscles, so you can't really tell anything from that, it's just everywhere, and dissipate strain everywhere. There may be some functional zones in there that are more important than others and they may be related to myofascial trigger points.
The only decent book on the actual anatomy of the thing is comming out in december by one of the leader in the field.

Basically as a whole, biomechanics is good at predicting performance (ie: someone that runs really fast should run like this), not so good as predicting pain/injuries. it's just one of many factors. There are people with perfect posture who get hurt and people with lovely posture who don't.

Source: just got my degree in biomechanics applied to osteopathy with a thesis on myofascial force transmission.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003

warcrimes posted:

Congrats and all, but gently caress that poo poo, which team(oakland) did you choose(raiders)?

Hard Knocks kinda made me care about the falcons to be honest. I didn't think they were as bland as everyone seem to have.

To care you must know some players and that is hard to do when you can't recognize anyone on the field and there are 53 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
So I've been busy with moving to Liverpool for a year and I couldn't keep up with the thread. Can anyone fill me in on all the Clinton Dix jokes ?

• Locked thread