Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't the Dutch also a United Kingdom? That might be enough to set them over the edge and raid the Medway again.

(Although admittedly hauling back a Poundstretcher isn't quite as impressive as capturing the Royal Charles)

They can have it.

Come to think of it, Medway and Nederlans share the bizarre inability to have more than one haircut in the country at any time, so it'd work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gum posted:

Are they seriously planning on teaching 5 year olds how to code?

5's probably a bit young but we teach 5 year olds French and coding in a basic language is a shitload easier than learning a proper new language.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

There's a Puppies and Kittens debate in Parliament today.

Seriously.

Now Show did a segment a while ago about The Jam debate, whereby new regulations threatened traditional jams being labelled as conserves (or preserves I dont really care at all) which were allowed un jam-like qualities, meaning it would be difficult to actually buy jam.

Their argument is one I feel is relevant here: the government actually has to do every last loving detail so can we not complain about puppy debates when a) it's genuinely a thing with consequences and b) these bullshit debates tend to only have interested MPs show up, and so stuff actually gets done.

Puppy debates are genuinely a better example of democracy than anything else you can dredge up over mandatory conscription and every other bastard jingoistic piece of poo poo my local dear leader has proposed.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

What even is actually being debated here? I know it's funny to just say "puppies and kittens" like that's completely self-explanatory, but I really would like to know.

Farming of animals for sale in unpleasant conditions is something we definitely care about when it's puppies.

Animal Welfare sites usually advise you to never use breeders who advertise more than one breed of any animal, and to adopt after multiple visits. They also recommend you see what questions they ask you as indicators to the welfare of the livestock in question.

My understanding is that we've not actually regulated this and a few MPs have gone "wait, what?" and are now attempting to rectify the situation. I may be wrong.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

the criticism pisses me off a bit. We have to have lots of laws that look unimportant next to Muslamic Terrorist Passports and the future of due process, or any other urgent issues, but parliament still has to run a country and so sometimes they talk about other things than war and loving the NHS.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those are from the Alternative Queens Speech the swivel-eyed back-benchers proposed two or three years ago. If ever you wanted to know just how out-of-touch the Tory heartland is (in a tweedy, harrumphing, Mail-reading way, as opposed to the braying, Etonian, bank-fellating out-of-touchness of the front bench), there it is. out of the EU, bring back National Service, and LOCK EM ALL UP!).

I did a fairly long effort post about it in the long-long-ago, I'll see if I can find it, because it's kind of a fascinating look into the psyche of the rank-and-file Tory.

This really doesn't sound that out of touch to me, and frankly seems like it'd be a lot more palatable to the electorate than the front benchers or any other party at all.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm very glad the new thread title highlights one of the most ridiculous newspaper stories I've ever seen. As we all know, Scotland wants to leave the union because we haven't been having enough royal babies, and no other reason.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are a traitor. I'm not calling for you to be shot but you are a traitor. So is most of the left in regard to Scottish independence. Wanting the UK to be broken up for vague reasons of spiting the tories or the laughable promise that it will inspire greater social fairness in England, is complete and utter nonsense. What we'll have is too weaker countries, one leftist, one rightest. Both economically troubled and weak in the face of a rising China and Russia. Scotland will be subsumed within the EU and either lose its identity (but for some weird reason it won't bother them this time) or worse, the EU will end up under the thumb of Russia. England will either face the same fate or worse, split from the EU and be isolated. The future looks loving great my leftist comrade.

I'm not sure I can rebut this because I mostly work in the realm of non-fiction

Also as a dangerous marxist I agree with the referendum because nations should have self determination and if it turns out hatespeech and threats of fiscal penalty don't keep them in line maybe we should come up with better plans before Salmond makes us look like we're begging in the mud next to a sad and broken Saltire

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Wouldn't the Tories be quite happy with this behind close doors? There's a bigger chance of England and Wales being doomed to Tory rule forever more now

people keep saying this but the tories just asked for an extra year of governance if Scotland leaves. They're clearly terrified and people seem to be forgetting that losing what, 27% of the landmass is slightly unprecedented and also a good shout for incompetence of the year.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

They want to delay the elections for a year because Labour might win a snap election. They genuinely believe in their divine right to rule so while they'll be much more likely to win post Scottish Independence they don't want to not have power for even an interim year.

Also though that call was part of the strategy to paint Scotland leaving as solely left wingers' fault. The justification for postponing it was essentially that Labour are fifth columnists.

lets step back a second and consider that "we want to delay the election because we might lose" was most probably vetted by PR handlers and given the green light.

Labour not winning post-scotland has nothing to do with them being perceived as left wing or them actually being neoliberal lite. They're incredibly bad at politics.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'm not sure what you're driving at there but Labour are left wing in the same way Obama is a communist, the absolute leftward bound of the Overton Window must be drawn as far to the right as possible so anything to the left of the right wing party is hyper-communism, for example Gove's descriptions of his opponents.

The Tories will try to pin Scotland becoming independent on Labour being left wing because it is a bad thing and all things left wing are bad.

I was driving at the fact I genuinely believe most people would happily accept any established left wing party if they had the basic competence to actually attack the tories with one of the many, many options available to them.

A party with Michael Gove, Vote Cancer is about to lose a loving country for no acceptable reason and they might not only get their money back next election but actually win the thing. It's not like they're up against political geniuses here.

also I had to wait two loving weeks for an STD check because they privatised urine tests on the sly. The NHS is a cornerstone of British identity and frankly a wonder of the modern world. The public would never accept it being dismantled like it is this very second if only Milliband were to actually make a fuss.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I realised I made a post with the phrase "the fact I genuinely believe", please kill me before I become a bald tory arsehole, tia

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

They did support Thatcher over Foot and Major over Kinnock though.

There was some polling (which I can't bloody find) that showed that people were much more fond of the tenets of social democracy when Blair came in than when he left because he had redefined social democracy as neo-liberal poo poo. So at this point even if Miliband offered much more left wing stuff he'd alienate people who actually want that. Though as Zephro has pointed out a few times, all UK parties essentially use big data models to fight over a few marginal seats, the swing voters in which do not want more left wing policies. If you can't win the marginals I'm not sure how a genuinely left wing party could hope to form a government.

Then we hold a referendum against FPTP, a legacy system in both the sense it exists only because of the weight of history and that it primarily benefits those it already previously benefited, at an ever greater cost to the non-established and disenfranchised.

Oh hang on we did that and they hosed it up.

I don't think I'm making a remotely insightful point, but appearing competent is important, and in the appearance we focus on "gotcha" moments. Salmonds debate v Darling being a superb example. I'd vote tory myself if the PM would be someone who kept the country running without loving people over and going easy on human rights abuses. By definition they'd not be tory, but it's not a party thing. I imagine it being hard to see what a monster AND a failure Thatcher was at the time, and now we know she was a human rights violating paedophile protecting economic disaster. If people started realising the Tories are actually incompetent or lying the entire time, the NHS being a great example due to its importance in our identity, the Left becomes de facto electable as Not Them At All.

Tortuga posted:

Tell us about the dirty sex you did that made you get a test.

My ex was a bit sheltered and then got Staph, so I reassured her I wasn't actually going to give her AIDS.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

marktheando posted:

If you find that hard to believe you should think about how many Tories think Michael Gove is prime minister material. These people live in a different world.

Most people I tell he's the party golden boy and former favourite to succeed Cameron think I'm taking the piss. It took statistic evidence that he was a guaranteed election killer for Cameron to merely lower him to chief whip, for christs sake.

What's Michael Gove going to do as a loving chief whip anyway, scream that we're all traitors and copper-bottomed shits while nobody gives a toss?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

namesake posted:

Huh, I heard about them being taken down but the reports said nothing about putting the supply at risk. Great work there news media.

As someone in the south east I feel confident that I will have full power even if every hospital north of Watford is blacked out because of this.

I really can see them protecting London and the heartlands at risk of totally wiping the North, rather than deal with even brownouts. Do hospitals have their own spaces on the grid to protect them from this? That'd be the clincher in deciding it, I think.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

namesake posted:

Critical business infrastructure and things like hospitals will have back up generators. I work in a (ex)PCT building and we have backups even though the most important thing we have is servers onsite.

I thought (hoped) as much. If that's the case then the choice is either piss everyone off equally or protect the homeland and gently caress the non-tory voters. I'm too young to be this cynical, my brain hasnt even finished growing yet :smith:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

DroneRiff posted:

My hospital recently did a black test (kill the power to simulate a real unexpected power failure) and while it works, I would not like to see the scenes if a several big hospitals get major power failures.

Not to worry, theyre probably going to close a load so plenty of power going around.

Incidentally a little bird tells me K&C are moving towards a strike in response to them being on emergency measures and downgraded after chronic underfunding. I've got lots of friends there and I'll be getting the coffee in when it happens.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

First, the anticipated surplus in 2018 is partly due to cyclical factors

I've always had an admiration for the rights ability to say "we're a loving joke and are miles behind everyone else in the recovery due to our own incompetence" as if it's a boast.

I have more 2nd year econ classes under my belt than the entire cabinet. I'd like to think I'm clever enough to realise I'm vastly unqualified to run a country. But I definitely know a 2018 recovery is something they should be ashamed of. Sadly, they don't share this view.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm laughing pretty loving hard at the idea that York is too far north when Cornwallers don't leave their sloped villages anyway.

Nice ice cream mind.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Whitefish posted:

I'm not some massive Nate Silver fan, but aren't the criticisms of him slightly unfair?

Nope, he has never had a better record than either coinflip on result or simply picking the higher-ranked team. FIFAs ridiculous rankings are a better indicator than his models. They're also better than the multi-million dollar model designs Barclays came up with.

Nate Silver is a complete moron who got lucky. He's the octopus from 2010 in human form.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Whitefish posted:

(although surely some statistical analysis is possible - e.g. establishing trends about which teams perform best over longer periods of time.)

sample sizes are too small to make predictions. 20 teams each play 38 games a year, it's laughably insignificant. Since there aren't discrete plays that can be easily recorded, you end up with the utter garbage the advanced stats fans put out, which are consistently inconsistent with reality to a profound degree.

I could go into pretty good detail about how you could do attempt it properly and why nobody knows how to use them but it's too boring for trp and too football for ukmt. The easy version is: complex equations, and managers are charlatans.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jesus Christ, do they merit these companies by how many lives they've already destroyed?

No, by how much they bribe. Strong correlation though.

I was quite enjoying my perfect record against the cowed and submissive skeleton system they had running, if anyone has their assessment cheatsheets I'd like to pre-write the legal complaints my friends will need.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Peel posted:

I assume the big teams have invested a lot of money into 'scientific' analysis of their players and made some progress with it, but I'd be astonished if it looked anything like Advanced Stats.

The big teams just signed a very, very large agreement with SI to use their football manager database as an official scouting tool, after Moyes did this on his own first.

That's the free database with every copy of football manager. In its defence they have actually called some players quite well; I remember Falcao at River Plate being easily the best striker in the game. On the other hand, Cherno Samba.

Serious answer; yes, it's called prozone, and I assure you most managers can't read a drat thing it tells them even though they think it can. I spent loving hours analysing Andy Carrol to figure out just why he's so poo poo and came to the conclusion that Sam Allardyce is a loving moron.

Peel posted:

Apparently he's since been dropped. But yeah. I wouldn't say Silver is some kind of lucky ignoramus. If he tells you which way an American election will jump or how good a baseball player is, you should listen. But it's clear at this point he is/was very much unaware of the limits of his powers.

Honestly I'm still happy calling a walking, talking data aggregate service a moron. He has never succeeded at anything that wasn't simply "plug all available data, loading...". Baseball is a discrete sport and the useful statistics had already long been discovered through the actual use of an intelligence he himself has none of.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 13, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I interviewed with the guy who founded Prozone for his new company, Apollo. Turned out I was a horrible fit for the position but the work they are doing is pretty interesting, I really had no idea of the amount and depth of performance data that are collected on elite athletes.

It is in fact way cool, and yet managers prefer FM, which is numbers made up in a database by a selection of people that includes SA posters in their freetime.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gum posted:

There are people who say whiplash isn't a thing?

The NHS has homeopathy and chiro, and there's been a serious decade+-long movement about Autism Vaccines that still hasn't resulted in manslaughter or gross negligence convictions.

So yes, there probably are.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

CoolCab posted:

My GP's office has a hypnotherapy clinic in advertising help with quitting smoking it and I always get a little upset when I walk past it. For smoking it's at best equivalent to no intervention; it might be worse :smith: Not NHS funded but still, absolutely shameful.

The last ridiculous thing I saw was a sign on the front door warning about some ultra-killer MDMA/Acid/Heroin hybrid called strawberry something and an advertisement for the usual morality brigade helplines. There are so many things that parents should actually give a poo poo about that this sort of stuff should really have a legal penalty around it.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Really? How'd he end up as Chancellor, then? I can't imagine Darling being such a powerful force in the party that he could not be denied.

Go look up his parliament CV, Darling is a heavier hitter than Brown himself by a long way.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HortonNash posted:

I don't think there's chiropractic or osteopathy on the NHS, homoeopathy and acupuncture slipped through though.

I'm not sure; I've definitely received multiple chrio adjustments in my GP surgery, free at point of use, that continued until I made a complaint. My mother just got acupuncture on her leg since she refuses to take off-record medical advice to smoke for neuropathic pain and won't go up the pain ladder, clearly being stabbed is the better option.

Ddraig posted:

loving kids these days! Back when I was a smackhead you didn't get this kind of value for money. You had to get these things separately. Don't know how good they have it, I tell you.

we prefer trainspotters thanks

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HortonNash posted:

Maybe you have a weirdo GP that took a course or something, because my GP will only refer for Physiotherapy. The thing that intrigues me is that you say they continued until you complained, were they doing poo poo to you without your informed consent? Because that's hosed up.

Yep. Had a proper neck/spinal adjustment at second appointment without any warning, started a fight, left the room and complained. Got referred to a proper physio after that and discovered an unstable disc.

I'm getting the feeling I should have pushed that further. It's odd, because my main GP is extremely against anything he can't source or just describe as placebo, and the German guy I see sometimes loves his osteo and acupuncture but is otherwise great. I don't know who let the chiro in and to be clear, he had a room of his own in the practice.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Strawberry Quick? I have no idea why everything has to be a combination of skunk and crack and ibuprofen now though.

That'd be the one, poprocks was definitely in the description. I do remember very firmly the MDMA/Heroin thing though so it'd been altered.

Bullshit like that pisses me off when you could put "is your kid hanging outside spoons in the morning? should probably have a word" and maybe you'd help someone out but no, lets make up stuff that makes Nigerian princes look legit.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

tdrules posted:

Kinda surprised there's such a backlash (heh) around the profession tbh.

They kill and cripple people. This is a thing chiros actually do.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Red7 posted:

So do doctors.

They're trying to do the opposite though, whereas a best-case for most chiropractors is "didn't kill anyone today"

Anything they do that's useful is done better by actual physios.

alternate medicine + efficiacy = medicine etc.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if youre going to do your divide and be conquered thing with spoken word you could at least avoid the national curriculum, I mean I left school at 15 and I'd already covered Linton.

What's next, you introduce us to loving Gil Scott-Heron? The XX beat you to that.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

oh oh, do Billy Bragg, I didn't hear four people cover A New England repeatedly over two years or anything

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

General China posted:

you have got very bad taste in music

did your flatcap block the sight of my point going over your head or something?

I spend my day on the streets helping homeless people avoid or actively gently caress over debt collectors. Please tell me more about how my middle-class education cannot in any way be used in the great class struggle that left you behind shortly before Marx published anything.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

General China posted:

you seem quite angry and middleclass

you're a class traitor and I bet it hurts you more than my families luck and bastardry hurts me.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

gently caress, I missed a chance to quote Zhou.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

General China posted:

I resent being called a class traitor.

I will never and have never crossed a picket line.

All of my family can make the same claim. You can gently caress off with claims of being a class traitor.

I have carried my trade union banner a very long way- I have smacked the heavy end of it on foreign coppers from genoa to nice. It still has the whiff of tear gas about it.

now try this on a stage and wait for someone to call out "how's the pheasant". Watch angrily as Thatcherite Clone #whatever destroys you in a public vote and congrats, you're the labour party.

I didn't do this myself because I'm not actually cruel but you're blind if you think being born middle class somehow removes you from any concept of class struggle. It goes a great, great length to protect you and hide it from you. But which one of us is currently at the mercy of a jaded and viciously underfunded NHS with their health and life on the line?

Not you, comrade.

e;

General China posted:

this might upset you more- my dad sang with jimi hendrix

my old man did his nurse training at the same hospital hendrixes aunt trained at

aunt hendrix invited oldman general china to a family do where jimi turned up

they all sang happy birthday together

actually I think this is just a v cool story, my first love's dad slept with Lou Reed and this is how I was introduced to fluid sexuality, music is awesome.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

How some of you haven't figured out General China's schtick yet and keep taking the bait is beyond me.

If you dont love GC you dont love Are Cuntry but I'm not going to let a man go for thinking students wouldn't get Inglan Is A Bitch, that's just shoddy shoddy posting.

General China posted:

it gets better- a working class white bloke had to explain the african names for streets in bishop stortford and about the bhengazi patrol

Nothing about his life, circumstance or career really screams that he had much interest in anything but getting hosed up and maybe playing some music. He was pretty good at both though, phwoar.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 21, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

£8 is a start but we really do need some proper support for living wages that isn't Boris Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be worried about a sweeping 0 hour ban causing a lot of people to get fired due to the sheer logistics problem it would cause in companies that rely on it.

Economic uncertainty is not a better choice than proper state entitlements for all citizens.

But really you can't get rid of them yet for this reason. Banning zero hours really would gently caress over quite a few people, and while the companies using them are unquestionably unethical and exploitative, there's no proper social floor for those that use them.

• Locked thread