Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

The last UKMT :britain:

EDIT: Actually, what the gently caress will the UK be called after Scottish Independence?

Obviously The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is right out.

Prior to the addition of Ireland and Scotland it was just The Kingdom of England (even though it included Wales because gently caress you that's why), so I guess it will end up as The United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland?

Which is pretty weird I guess.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I wouldn't worry about that: I expect they'd go with 'The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Wales should be so lucky. Maybe they'll be added in as a sop to stop Plaid Cymru turning into the SNP Mk.2

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Gum posted:

Are they seriously planning on teaching 5 year olds how to code?

Programming languages are just that, languages.

Every kid should be getting taught at least one foreign language as early as possible, and coding is gonna be a hell of a lot more useful to you than German.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Whitefish posted:

Seems somewhat unwise to publish that article before the court case.

Seems somewhat unwise to publish that article because it's by Julie loving Bindel.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

HortonNash posted:

That was knee cartilage surgery, I believe.

Works with a certain angina surgery too.

But the bigger implication was that people were receiving useless surgeries (no better than placebo), both under general anaesthetic with the risks of both anaesthetic and post-op infection, which are not negligible. If you're going to do placebo surgeries then you need to tell people and get fully informed consent (which wasn't the case when surgeons thought that the surgeries were effective).

If a surgery works, can you really call it useless?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

gorki posted:

Regardless of why he omitted those bits, when the media started obsessing over it why did he not just say that he felt it was so obvious that it went without saying?

Because he left his notes face down on a glass table and they were photographed.

Not that the press needed much of an excuse to continue savaging Miliband, but he just coated himself in BBQ sauce and jumped into shark infested waters.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TinTower posted:

In all seriousness, none of the Lib Dems that most people have heard of – Clegg, Farron, Cable, Alexander, Hughes – are going to lose at the next election, as they have massive majorities. Farron's seat is actually one where Labour lost their deposit last time around.

Lib Dem seats are very weird to predict if you look at the national picture: Bradford East looks like a typical Labour gain to anyone who doesn't know Bradford, but I wouldn't be surprised if David Ward hung on next year. He's immensely popular in the area between his support for Palestine and community work with Bradford City. It doesn't hurt that the party appear to be throwing money and volunteers at it and they have as many councillors as Labour in the constituency (eight each, with 2 ex-Respect).

Does the polling from Lord Oakeshott, which paints a rather grimmer picture for the Lib Dems than you do, not cause you concern?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

It's not as simple as that. Not having a tv doesn't exempt you. You can't have a smartphone since you can watch Live tv on the BBC iplayer app. Same for your computer and tablets. Having any device capable of viewing live tv means you need a licence. The burden of proof is not on them either, its on you to prove that you do not watch live BBC television.

serious gaylord posted:

It's up to you to go 'look, I don't have any of these apps, heres my store history to prove i never downloaded them. I've also never visited the BBC sport website while a live stream was being shown, I've never used iplayer to watch a live broadcast' etc etc.

Its very difficult to prove you havent watched live tv when they eventually get you in front of a magistrate.

serious gaylord posted:

The same way they got over 180,000 of them infront of one last year.

'We think you're watching live tv without a licence because you have a laptop connected to the internet, and when interviewed you said you use it to watch catch up tv. We think you are also using it to watch as live broadcasts'

Its then on you to prove that that laptop isn't used to watch live tv.

This is all utter, utter bollocks.

You only need a TV licence if you watch TV Live (or 'as Live').

"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.
You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD."

Of course, I never watch Live TV and still pay the licence because I feel like I spend half my life on the BBC News/Sport website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

It's nice to see the right-wing eating itself for once.

• Locked thread