Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's no real prospect of that - you can argue the toss one way or another about how Scotland's wealth as an independent nation would compare to the rest of the UK, but there's no argument to be had for Wales. It's a total financial dead zone and without transfers from the rest of the country it'd be in a very bad state indeed.

Speaking of which, how is the Cornish independence movement going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

I think it has a nicer sound to it than just 'England and Northern Ireland'.

How about the United Kingdom of Northumbria, Mercia, Anglia, Essex, Wessex, Sussex and Kent? That sounds like a lot of places!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It'll still be known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it's just that Scotland will be known as 'lovely Britain'

'Britannia Inferior' is already a place thanks. (Basically Northern England: so called for its distance from LondonRome.)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

From what I remember of the programming taster I had at 10, it's unlikely to be anything more complex than conditionals, loops, and rules. The reason to bother with electronics instead of just giving kids wooden blocks with ASM commands carved into them is because computers are just as cheap and also allow you to actually make things happen.
Present this material in the form of a game and you're probably onto something. If you were learning to code aged 10 for the sheer joy of coding alone, you're probably autistic. (There's also an undercurrent of 'well, it was easy for me' in your post...)

Five sounds far too young to do anything serious with computers, but you could probably do something with iPads that would show them the basics behind it. Of course that does depend on things like class size and resource availability. At least wooden blocks could be cheap.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

HorseLord posted:

You heard it here first, thatcher made every boy in the 80s autistic.

I must have missed a passion for coding becoming the absolute defining trait of all 35-50 year old men in the UK. :shrug:

OTOH every bio I've read of bedroom coders has them beginning with games and tweaking the code of established products (admittedly these are often the bios of games developers). If you're just talking about treating coding as a simple mathematical or linguistic exercise then you're hardly going to engage the minds of an entire generation. There's only so much fun you could squeeze out of floor robots (or in my case at school, greenhouse controls).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

That was really stupid, and you should probably stop trying to defend it because you're just making yourself look like more of an idiot. I don't even know what you're trying to argue any more. You think children are too dumb to program computers? Or they will only learn if they're allowed to make games (which you seem to assume will be banned in schools for some reason)?
I didn't claim either of those things? Intelligence is one thing (and it's important to acknowledge that some proportion will genuinely struggle), interest and enthusiasm quite another. Simply bunging 'coding' into the curriculum in the driest possible manner isn't going to inspire any major change (what would it displace?). Think of the numbers of people who learn a foreign language at school vs. those who are fluent when they grow up. I don't know where you got the idea that I'd ban games from though, I think they're an ideal platform for creativity in this regard.

Children aged 5-10 are at a prime age for learning things like new languages, but realistically speaking there are a huge number of problems with that, from the resources required (computer space for every child? Custom programmes for each age category?) to the availability of qualified teachers. This latter problem would be magnified if you're talking about primary school kids who generally only have one teacher, but I know even in my later schools the IT teachers were notoriously disinterested.

Fake edit: I will concede that there are much better tools for engaging kids with computers now than I had at school, such as the Raspberry Pi, and I'm definitely in favour of pushing thing like HTML at older ages.

quote:

Also, internet diagnosing people with mental illnesses is a lovely thing to do, especially if it's just because they have a hobby you can't or don't want to do.
Fair enough, that was a lovely thing to say. However I stand by my objection that generalising your own positive experience of coding across an entire generation is not a practical approach, however enthusiastic Michael Gove was at the idea.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

twoot posted:

We can all 'decorate the Winterval pole' without needing electricity :eng101:
Well I know my wife prefers it when the lights are off.
:smith:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

That would be interesting

A county that contains Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham, York and Carlisle is clearly the best county. :getin:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Westcountry as a country then let Cornwall go independent because their cider is terrible and you always put jam & cream on the Devon way. :colbert:

Well, I suppose you do have Bristol and, uh

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

A large chunk of the country's naval forces?

So you have Bristol, cider, sodomy and the lash?

I'm sorry for kinkshaming your counties :saddowns:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

I'd love to hear more about how you have a grudge because of an ex.

I went to Bristol once, it was cold and poo poo and while I was there someone got murdered (wasn't me).

Why are Bristolians so easy to upset?

Fluo posted:

The train station is nice <insert joke here>. :v:

The train station was a massive building site when I went to Reading. I guess it is definitely even worse than Bristol though.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 12, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

You get my point, London bashing is abit OTT generally too, its a nice city with so many things to do and see. :)
London/Bristol can't be that bad, they're nice places to visit? If you think London bashing comes exclusively from people thinking it's a boring place, I don't know what to tell you...

In any case, those two places keep getting brought up as Awesome Places To Live Unlike Your lovely Northern Cities so it does get kind of wearisome. It's not even that we think our hometowns are that amazing, it's just the smug superiority that comes with the sentiment that gets annoying.

"Have you tried not living in an impoverished cultural backwater, pleb? :smuggo:"

ReV VAdAUL posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/12/mps-expenses-under-fire

With this news that the political class are striving to ever greater heights of corruption it seems like a primary system (not a fake one like the Tories just did) would be a good idea. Currently it is very hard to get rid of an individual politician you dislike but keep the same party in power. It would also enable greater popular influence on the political process.

Would there be any major downsides to it?
Seems like this system would just be a greater opportunity for cults of personality to emerge, at which point expenses fiddling becomes a bit academic. I'm not at all sure it's going to be a disincentive for that sort of behaviour, especially if you're put up against a fellow politician wanting to do exactly the same thing.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Quite strong confirmation bias/strawman vibes coming off this post :/. Reading isn't a Northern City and I'd like a source on the quote "Have you tried not living in an impoverished cultural backwater, pleb? :smuggo:".

If it makes you happier I can include Reading in a list of towns that aren't Bristol/London. There are a lot of poor/under invested towns in the south as well of course.

For a source on that quote - see any page on this thread where people have justified their paying huge London rent prices. So many museums and things to see! You just can't get this culture anywhere else you guys (no I'm not interested in why not). And why should I settle for poverty wages anyway?

Edit: oh god, the free food at art event things. Get back to me when the V&A runs a soup kitchen for the homeless. (Disclaimer: I did stuff my face at a gallery preview in Bury last Saturday. :v:)

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The primary system, in theory, makes it easier for a non establishment politician to challenge a corrupt or otherwise bad politician without having to be vetted by the constituency party (and thus be an insider politician) or having to run as an independent.

The personality cult thing seems unlikely but it wouldn't be a bad thing if people voted more for a candidate than their party.
Could another problem be that people may have to register their political affiliation to take part in a primary? I know some states don't require that but that can also make the process more problematic.

A simpler problem might just be that not enough people within a constituency would care enough to vote. There's rarely much clear water between politicians and their party in this country anyway.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Are you saying there is no difference for things to do every single night between London & Stoke-On-Trent? Different people have different values in their quality of life. I'm a city person, you sound like you're more a countryside type person, thats ok. But a lot of people enjoy big cities like Liverpool, Bristol, London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Manchester, Wiltshire and such. If they didn't they would have moved. London high prices which are a rip off, people mentally counterbalance it because some of the biggest events happen there. Had to travel there to see Boris (the band, not Bojo), 2010 new years even ATP had an event with Shellac, Sonic Youth, Pop Group, Factory Floor and Stuart Braithwaite was DJing in the bar. Traveling home at 4am back to Bristol, it was still worth it but I can't go to those types of things in London as much as I'd like to.

I still don't understand it though, shouldn't everyone not settle for a poverty wage, or do you think people should settle for below the living wage? I don't get your point to be honest, it's just coming across like Kansas City complaining about "those New Yorkers". :I A big part of it is population, the bigger the city, the bigger the entertainment attracts to it. Would be funny though Wu-Tang doing a gig in Wells, mistakenly booking it instead of Wales. :v:
Whooooosh

Obviously people have complete agency over where they live so they'd only not live in London if they weren't interested in arts, culture or having top jobs. Everyone knows their place :downs:

But no, I don't have anything against urban life, so I don't know where you got that from.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

:psyboom: http://dalstonist.co.uk/a-death-row-themed-pop-up-restaurant-is-opening-in-hoxton/

Who wants to dress up as Judge Dredd and go administer sentences to the diners?
I'm going to take a wild guess at the chef's special:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

How some of you haven't figured out General China's schtick yet and keep taking the bait is beyond me.

He lives in a country pad funded by his missus and is bitter about the education of others. He's basically an amalgam of Gove and IDS at this point, combined with Karl's dad from Neighbours for colour.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

General China posted:

On the other hand- George Orwell.

He's a class traitor I can get behind. He even scored a loving goal in the wall game.

George Orwells plus points

took a bullet for the POUM

married a woman from South Shields

wrote some good books- Coming up for air and Keep the aspidistra flying are well worth reading to understand a bit of history- and how much has not changed.
I'm surprised you didn't come to post your outrage at the lack of the most important question (squares/triangles?).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

gorki posted:

I cut my refrigerated slices of 50p loaf bread into triangles because I am a hardworking striver :smug:
You own a fridge? Shouldn't you be getting all your food fresh from your local Mediterranean peasant market? :wankah:

don't put bread in the fridge jesus

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

gorki posted:

I live exist in Bristol and yes I am actually of such means that allowing my bread to sit around at room temperature would be part of a life of opulence I can only imagine. Also it is my understanding that Jesus didn't need a fridge or E numbers to work miracles with bread.
Bread goes stale more quickly in the fridge. Keep it in the bag and put it in a box. :ssh:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 23, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But mouldier vastly slower, so if you always toast your bread it lasts much longer that way.

I've also legitimately never seen bread go stale outside of the fridge. It's always soft and delicious up until the point where it's soft and delicious and green and furry. I don't know what this says about my kitchen hygiene.

Uncut loaves definitely will go stale (and baguettes go rock hard within a day). But sliced bread should still last 3-4 days at least before going off. :shrug:

If I had to make a loaf last longer I'd probably freeze it, but between my wife and I we don't generally get to that point.

JFairfax posted:

I only eat toast sandwiches cut at right angles:

• Toast a thin slice of bread
  • Butter two slices of bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
  • Place the toast between the two slices of bread-and-butter to form a sandwich
The toastie version of this sandwich is pretty disappointing.

Toast should be brown, buttered, and spread with orange marmalade and grated cheddar. loving yum.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

What the gently caress is with you people faffing about cutting your toast? Just bite chunks out of the square it comes in jesus christ

Cutting toast is a sign of unbearable snobbery, it has to be said.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Exactly this. Although I like to eat the crust first so I get the best centre bit with all the butter last.

That's just loving weird.

However, the end piece does make for the best toast, especially when it's extra thick.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

You know it's very easy to dislike the police without wanted to inflict unnecessary suffering on another human being. I don't think I'd ever feel safe turning my back on someone like you.
Turning your back? Turn...turncoat. Traitor!

YOU loving SCAB

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

OK, I'll be keen to spend some of my time each week slapping you around the face with some mouldy (un-refrigerated) bread, id value that investment immensely, you cant put a price on happiness.
Nah mate, you should be freezing your bread. Especially for occasions such as this.

The rich are best enjoyed freshly barbecued.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone think Labour actually has a chance? Ed is a loving joke and looks more like a child whose won a Blue Peter competition than an actual candidate for the PM.
It's not so much his looks as how he sounds. He's a lovely, uninspiring orator. On the other hand Labour have had a pretty good lead for a while now and it's not his face voters will be putting an X next to (except in Doncaster North I guess).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Answers Me posted:

But then so is Cameron. Whenever he gives a speech I'm always taken aback by just how bad he is at it.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure I've ever sat through a Cameron speech long enough to pass judgement. He is, at least, a clearer speaker.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Again I realise this is just a style over substance matter when it comes down it, but compare Obama to any of our leaders, the man is in a different class (heh). Ok different league. Does that make sense?
Obama is especially good at speeches - compare him to the last Bush - but there are a number of other factors at play. One is that we don't really get these state of the union type addresses anyway. Another is that overt references to patriotism over here sound very forced.

But mostly it's because our party leaders are complete bellends from overprivileged backgrounds, and we're completely aware that every word they say is coated in poo poo.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Zephro posted:

I know it sounds all :smug: and :goonsay: but I honestly never really understood people's admiration for Blair's speaking skills. He's always seemed insincere and affected to me (and he did make a conscious effort to tone down his posh accent in favour of sounding as Estuary as possible).

It became impossible for me to take Blair's speaking style seriously after hearing Rory Bremner's impression of him.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Here is my improv blair speech:

"I went to the dentist this morning ... pause ... Its a NEW appointment, with a NEW dentist on a NEW day!!. *applause*" etc.
You missed out "Look, the thing you have to remember is..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

"Look the thing you have to remember is...first point...second point.....satisfying third point."

Once you know the rule of three, you'll never not notice it. You need it on your CV if you want to be a politician.

This is also known as a tricolon and is associated with the Roman orator Cicero. :hist101:

Barack Obama - The New Cicero. A Guardian article from 2008 and what I first think of when people discuss his oratory skills.

• Locked thread