Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Remembering how charcoal works. Still dusting off the rusty wagon. Kept getting interrupted by some dirty dogs that wanted to eat my pencils. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

More RPG characters! Only two left to do from the current game! :toot:

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

nothing major.

proportions feel way off and the face size and shape is rough but it's not the absolute worst

beats
Oct 21, 2010
So I've been up all night painting a chimpanzee and I don't know why.

Here's some studies from the last few days:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

* does not come in pumpkin spice

Reene fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 9, 2014

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Uuuggghhh, first thing I've done this month, and I will most likely slack even more because snowfall hit

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

super hot animation background sneak peek

edit- heck, may as well post a few

bitmap fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 10, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Listen.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
Yet another portrait study (sorry!).

Actually really happy with this. Feel like I've been making progress lately.

beats fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 11, 2014

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

beats posted:

Yet another portrait study (sorry!).

Actually really happy with this. Feel like I've been making progress lately.

Definetily! Those eyes are beautiful.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Got a new Surface pro 3, until I get Photoshop and the gang on this machine all I have is the default program that comes with the device (fresh paint), I did some sketches yesterday morning and today in the morning to test it out and so far drawing on this thing has been fantastic!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Got a new Surface pro 3

How would you compare it to a wacom tablet, or cintiq?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

In terms of pure drawing and animating I can't come back to you with a definitive answer until I install Adobe, Autodesk, or Corel Painter, This machine is brand new, so I need a few days to get the licenses for the heavier duty stuff.

The only software I have tried so far with this is the default fancy MSPAINT that comes with it and the sketches you see are from that, FreshPaint.

1) the accuracy (after installing an official driver called 'WinTab') Is incredible, I was not at all expecting this device to be as good at giving a sense of accuracy and flow as it was, if you had told me that this was a Wacom Companion I would have been fooled, drawing on the screen is an absolute pleasure, it gets all the strokes I want how I want it. The pen especially feels really nice and weighty. The only main difference is the lack of a textured screen like Wacom, Although honestly I have no problems at all with the smooth glass, it just means that I have to lighten my strokes, but not by much.

2) The device is really awesome for sketching people in cafés, and doing observational painting, the best thing about this device is that it's essentially a powerful laptop given the lightweight form and quick ease of use of a tablet. a lot of the best drawing and sketching software have custom built for a touch screen (Photoshop and sketchbook pro especially), so sitting down, plopping open the SP3 and staring to draw takes just as little time as opening a molskine and unfurling your pencil roll. Except with MUCH more tools at you're disposal. Also because it has an extremely flexible stand that allows it to be a mini-canvas at any angle you could want it to be.

3) However, this depends on what you're looking to get out your drawing experience, it's NOT a pure drawing mechanism like an Intuos or a Cintiq, those still have the absolute advantage in terms of stroke accuracy, pressure sensitivity, and overall drawing experience, this is not a tablet that can replace your Cintiq it still has quirks and deficiencies and weird stuff that keep it not as good as a dedicated drawing device like a Wacom (like weird stuff such as skin detection and dragging menus offscreen). however what this is, is an ultraportable laptop that happens to have the most powerful, portable, fastest and easiest to use drawing experience currently available on a tablet anywhere.

It has a very crisp and beautiful screen, but it's still full windows PC. Meaning that while certain software are custom built for the touch screen and touch interface (Photoshop, Sketchbook, etc.) the actual animation software people use (toonboom, TVpaint, Maya) aren't, so I had to buy a special dock that hooks up to a 24 inch monitor to have a brighter and larger display to make the regular software more manageable, I have my Intuos on standby, but I have not hooked it up yet because I still haven't tested how much difference there is drawing on the surface to a large screen compared to drawing on the Intuos.

Think of it like this, what this machine gives you is powerful enough to be docked and turned into a workstation that supports a second screen and heavy stuff like animating and video editing. While giving you the option of simply Plopping that thing off the dock, taking it to a café or work or the park that it does the exact same thing as a desktop would except with the added bonus of tablet friendly drawing experiences with Photoshop and sketchbook pro. Giving you an extremely versatile and powerful companion wherever you go.

Is it a replacement for a cintiq? Never. The cintiq is the ultimate drawing machine and nothing beats it. Nothing comes close. If you have a powerful workstation and a cintiq you're all set and will absolutely not find a better drawing experience.

Is it better than a Wacom companion? Absolutely. This thing is just as powerful (if you buy the i7 8gb ram version) and is smaller and weighs just as much as a MacBook air, it's super portable and the battery lasts 9 Goddamn hours, meaning I could sit down at the park and do my drawing all day there if I wanted to with software I'd expect out of a desktop. The difference in drawing quality and penmanship between this and the Companion is neglible compared to the overall portability and form factor. I will give the Companion one thing, is that the screen of the companion doesn't glare or reflect, while the SP3 does.

Is it a replacement for a tablet? Not really. It has many of the essentials (twitter, Facebook, Audible, Kindle, Etc. minus a few important ones like Instagram and Tumblr) and it runs all of the productivity software (like Office) fantastically, but it does not at all have the sheer amount of volume of apps android and apple offer, so if you're looking for the bare minimum I guess it has it, but really, this thing occupies a weird 'kinda but not really' area. I'm not a tablet aficionado so it has enough of what I'm looking for in terms of apps. Any other fancy apps I might want go to my phone instead.

I think in the end, this machine works for me because it allows for the best of both worlds, it allows me to dock it to a big screen and Intuos for heavy and long work if I want to, and it allows me to take my drawing and sketching anywhere I want, and it's super fun to draw with, like I could snap a painting on 3/4ths of the screen while watching Youtube or looking at a reference with the remaining 1/4. It's a really unique machine and I highly and totally recommend it. However it is not cheap, and there's bullshit costs like the essential dock and keyboard that come separately. But take note, I am in a unique position where I do not NEED a super powerful to have a desktop workstation at home (I go someplace to access one), but to me, having this thing is much more convenient than lugging around a high end laptop and a tablet. And certainly cheaper as a combo with a screen and intuos than buying a Cintiq and workstation.

Oh and it also does everything a full blown laptop does too, but don't expect to play high end games on it.

In any case, this is my initial review of the device, I still HAVE NOT USED IMPORTANT SOFTWARE like Adobe, Corel or Autodesk, ToonBoom, Etc. so my views could still either change dramatically or be reinforced dramatically depending on what happens in the next few weeks once I get the licenses. But so far I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 12, 2014

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
What would Mario look like if he shaved his moustache down?
IT’SA ME, HITLER!

bitmap posted:

I'd like to second how good the below post on how good the Surface is. I have the Pro 2 and holy poo poo is it great.

Previously I've owned and used various wacom. Surface is great with photoshop. I found 8gb of ram is surprisingly snappy-probavly due to the ssd.

I don't like using Illustrator on it because I'm more a mouse person with the pen tool. After Effects is semi painful as you'd expect but I grudging deal with it because I like portable AE and carry two laptops would be stupid. The next update will fix problems like keyframes being hard to click apparently with new high res support.

You can probably get the i5 / 256gb pro2 for far, far cheaper unless you really need the i7 + higher res screen.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Done on my Samsung Note tablet (:shlick:), I'd love to have photoshop on it, but the pen (wacom-made) is awesome, and it can handle decent size canvases fine - this was originally 2500x1250, it hangs on very large brushes (~300px), but otherwise all goo). Hella lot cheaper than a surface, too.

5am is not my sexy-face time, nor my inspiration time.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I've decided to try to get back into learning to draw, and in honor of just moving to Baltimore, I drew an oriole based on a picture I found online

I'm open to any criticisms, as I feel I'm pretty new to this and still have a tremendous amount to learn.

The thing that bothers me the most about this drawing, and has been an issue for me in the past, is the proportions. I know that practice is the best way to get better, but I feel that getting proportions right is something that I'm not practicing properly. Does anyone have any good exercises to work on that will help with this?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Phthisis posted:

I've decided to try to get back into learning to draw, and in honor of just moving to Baltimore, I drew an oriole based on a picture I found online

I'm open to any criticisms, as I feel I'm pretty new to this and still have a tremendous amount to learn.

The thing that bothers me the most about this drawing, and has been an issue for me in the past, is the proportions. I know that practice is the best way to get better, but I feel that getting proportions right is something that I'm not practicing properly. Does anyone have any good exercises to work on that will help with this?

Everything looks like it checks out on your pecker.
My special eyes don't really seem to pick up anything that is really out of place here - and I can confirm that it is, indeed, a bird.

Not sure what you mean about proportions here though. But if its about making sure that every thing is the right size, you'll need some kind of unit of measure. Be it a pencil point, a thumb, and eraser. That's pretty much what they taught me to do in my figure drawing class.

So for instance I guess, take your bird reference picture, and find out how many of its own head is it tall.
Then do the same thing with your bird to make sure its just as many heads tall.

You could also just do the grid method.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
This one is going on the fridge

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

cashew baby.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Dags scare the crap out of me. But I met the most adorable (husky? I didn't think to ask) at a slow party, and split my time between playing with him and drawing him. 11 years old, which amazed me - he head the huge-eyes thing I think of as meaning 'young'. And a surprisingly good model. Very well behaved. I still hate dags shut up I totally wouldn't dream of stealing him.

Also, my tablet is definitely higher-contrast than my desktop monitor, I need to spend some time colour-balancing the two. No idea how, but that's not a tonight problem.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

petrol blue posted:

Dags scare the crap out of me. But I met the most adorable (husky? I didn't think to ask) at a slow party, and split my time between playing with him and drawing him. 11 years old, which amazed me - he head the huge-eyes thing I think of as meaning 'young'. And a surprisingly good model. Very well behaved. I still hate dags shut up I totally wouldn't dream of stealing him.

Also, my tablet is definitely higher-contrast than my desktop monitor, I need to spend some time colour-balancing the two. No idea how, but that's not a tonight problem.

Assuming you're using windows, right click, select personalize. They select display, then calibrate color.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Hmm, I get that, but how do I decide which device is correct, or tweak them both to be more correct? Is there any way to find a standard to judge them both against, or is it purely 'which looks more right'? Neither claims to have any colour management on, but they're displaying slightly different tones, or with more contrast or something that's consistently not quite right. Every pic I finish on the tablet looks flat on the desktop till I crank the contrast in photoshop.

Tech is evil/awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Got bored, so I decided to mess around with some photo manipulation and splatter brushes in PhotoShop.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2014

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

scarycave posted:

Not sure what you mean about proportions here though. But if its about making sure that every thing is the right size, you'll need some kind of unit of measure. Be it a pencil point, a thumb, and eraser. That's pretty much what they taught me to do in my figure drawing class.

So for instance I guess, take your bird reference picture, and find out how many of its own head is it tall.
Then do the same thing with your bird to make sure its just as many heads tall.

That is what I meant, and thanks for the tip. I decided to try some watercolors out on another oriole, and I tried that with the preliminary sketch and I think it is much better.

I think it turned out ok. I think I definitely need to work on varying line width. It feels a little flat.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Phylodox posted:

Got bored, so I decided to mess around with some photo manipulation and splatter brushes in PhotoShop.

drat those are some nice brushes. I don't think I've seen those, did you get them somewhere else?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ha, great minds! The good thing about a pepper is they always look like peppers, although I'd rethink the colours on this one.

More generally, there's really no need to preface submissions with 'got bored and...' I mean, drawing is a respectable thing to do. if the subject you pick embarrasses you, let's not hide behind a lame excuse. Let's be honest with ourselves and say: you know what, I spent Two hours drawing stylised versions of cartoon robots and im comfortable with that

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Reene posted:

drat those are some nice brushes. I don't think I've seen those, did you get them somewhere else?

I just looked up "splatter brushes" on DeviantArt and they had a ton.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Speaking of Photoshop brushes, I'm in the process of making a PS watercolor brush set for sale. I will post the link when it's released.
This is the kind of stuff it does:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Burqa King posted:

Ha, great minds! The good thing about a pepper is they always look like peppers, although I'd rethink the colours on this one.

That's not a pepper. It's a cashew fruit. Hence the "cashew baby."

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Huh, I'd never seen one of those before!

Cashew village of the damned. :stare:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The past couple days sketches.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Are those digital? I'd suggest swapping brushes a bit more, the content is great but it has a really weird 'trying too hard to be traditional' vibe to the strokes/highlights.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Doodlin'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

petrol blue posted:

Are those digital? I'd suggest swapping brushes a bit more, the content is great but it has a really weird 'trying too hard to be traditional' vibe to the strokes/highlights.

Thanks. Yes it is all digital, these were made using Freshpaint on my surface pro 3, but it's simply a glorified MSpaint, there's only like four brushes and the pencil tool and no layers or opacity or anything like that, the only thing that caught my eye was that the few brushes it has has a nice blendy aspect to them with the 'traditional' effect.

Either ways, I'm waiting to receive the licenses for proper drawing software like Adobe and Sketchbook, in the mean time all I have is the thing that came with the device. So I'm using that to get used to drawing on the screen.

But I'd like to hear more about what you meant by 'trying too hard', is it the colors and values or is it just the effect of the brush?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm not sure, honestly - it's got the equivalent of 'uncanny valley' applied to brush strokes, if that makes any sense? The depth of stroke is the same, the highlights a hair too crisp... I don't work with traditional mediums enough to really pinpoint it, but something's just a touch off. Sorry I can't be of more help!

e: The down-strokes start too crisply - it's more obvious on the middle pic, but the last has it in places as well.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 15, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

petrol blue posted:

I'm not sure, honestly - it's got the equivalent of 'uncanny valley' applied to brush strokes, if that makes any sense? The depth of stroke is the same, the highlights a hair too crisp... I don't work with traditional mediums enough to really pinpoint it, but something's just a touch off. Sorry I can't be of more help!

e: The down-strokes start too crisply - it's more obvious on the middle pic, but the last has it in places as well.

Yeah I think I see what you mean. It's kinda missing that impasto-y peaks and valleys thing that happens when you load that much paint on your brush in traditional oil. I mean it's got the valleys, but not the peaks so it's a little weird.

But meh, that's just an artifact of the brush, the sketches themselves are pretty cool and now I have to seriously contemplate getting a surface pro. There are certainly some good arguments for it in this thread. If it ends up handling stuff like Photoshop well it's prob gonna be a nice little tablet.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Haven't drawn anything in a couple of months. Got the itch to doodle again.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Squalid posted:

That's not a pepper. It's a cashew fruit. Hence the "cashew baby."

Oops, I thought it was a pepper and The stalk had been changed into a cashew NUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

petrol blue posted:

Hmm, I get that, but how do I decide which device is correct, or tweak them both to be more correct? Is there any way to find a standard to judge them both against, or is it purely 'which looks more right'? Neither claims to have any colour management on, but they're displaying slightly different tones, or with more contrast or something that's consistently not quite right. Every pic I finish on the tablet looks flat on the desktop till I crank the contrast in photoshop.

Tech is evil/awesome.

Short answer: not really. It's entirely possible that you simply can't get them looking exactly the same. The reasons for this are...beyond the scope of this thread. The OP in the monitor/display megathread has a good, accessible explanation of different monitor technologies and their wildy differing performance characteristics, and why there are small differences even within a given brand and model. Your best bet is calibrate them both via the easy wizard in control panel, then try to tweak them toward eachother.

Even shorter answer: CHAOS REIGNS

• Locked thread