Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I have a PC that has a nice 5.1 set up. It connects to my tv which also connects to my video game consoles. I was wondering if I can take advantage of my computer's 5.1 set up by somehow connecting through the computer a surround receiver. Is there an accessory I can get that adds spdif optical inputs to my computer that can turn it into a surround reciever? Or, better yet, some HDMI inputs so that I can capture some video as well. I don't have much space and would rather not buy a receiver and a whole new set of speakers for the tv.

I bought this a few years ago but the spdif input only does stereo
http://www.siig.com/it-products/multimedia/sound/usb/usb-soundwave-7-1-digital.html

I also have this but the hdmi input doesn't work very well at resolutions above 480p (very choppy and sometimes doesn't work at all)
http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=482&tab=APDriver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twi
Oct 31, 2011
What you want to do is impossible because your computer is not an amplifier.

What you could do is get a set of Logitech 5.1 desktop speakers for like $40 on sale, but the 5.1 it generates is for one person at a computer desk, not 2+ people. There's pretty much no avoiding a receiver if you want 5.1 in a living room.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/

If you can't tell from the pic, the sub is pretty small as well as the speakers themselves. Basically it's a get what you pay for type of deal.

If you want to pull the trigger on an actual home audio system for a living room, wait for the right sale price and look at slickdeals once every morning, noon, and night. Cables and accessories aside, it cost me $430 for the set of speakers and the receiver

Total spent: $479.33

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I wound up just getting an all in one 5.1 receiver and hooking it up to my computer. Now I have 2 sets of 5.1 speakers, one set up for my computer, one set up for my tv. It's a little weird, but it works and only cost me about 100 bucks.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 8, 2014

• Locked thread