Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hi folks, I'd figure we'd try something new, focused on the specifics of the games since N/V tends to get crowded with whichever 49er is committing a felony this week. So this is the place for game preview articles, analysis and whatever tends to get overlooked in N/V.

TNF: Packers @ Seahawks

Sunday:
1pm
Washington @ Texans
Titans @ Chiefs
Patriots @ Dolphins
Raiders @ Jets
Jaguars @ Eagles
Browns @ Steelers
Vikings @ Rams
Bills @ Bears
Bengals @ Ravens
Saints @ Falcons

4:30pm
Panthers @ Buccaneers
49ers @ Cowboys

SNF: Colts @ Broncos

MNF:
7pm Giants @ Lions
10:30pm Chargers @ Cardinals

-----------------------------------------------

For starters, Gronk will play against the Dolphins, who will be missing Dion Jordan.

Wes Welker hasn't passed concussion protocol tests yet.

Giants @ Lions is going to be an amazing poo poo show.

Real football you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Robert Griffin will die

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Raiders at Jets?! Get yo popcorn ready

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Dolphins suck at LB and the Patriots will run for 230 yards against us.

It will be very frustrating to watch.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Holy poo poo you guys weren't exaggerating, those are some painfully bad games

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Kalli posted:

Giants @ Lions is going to be an amazing poo poo show.

drat right.

48-3 Lions.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

cucka posted:

drat right.

48-3 Lions.

you forgot a 4

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Raiders at Jets?! Get yo popcorn ready

What's the record for most combined interceptions thrown in a game?

js86
Jul 22, 2012
So I don't know anything about the Bills offense, but is it fair to assume that they can light up the shitstorm that is the Bears secondary?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The Bengals always look like poo poo on opening day and Andy Dalton always plays like garbage against the Ravens.

In conclusion, Bengals by 30

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

ZenVulgarity posted:

you forgot a 4

484-3, you're right.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants offense is going to be hot garbage and the O-line is going to get Eli killed. They need probably about a halfseason or so before I see them really gelling and getting into a rhythm (if it happens). It was clear from preseason the offense needs more time to figure itself out. But the Lions D-line is going to be trial by fire and it's going to be a bloodbath. I predict a disastrous first few drives, followed by a lot of running the ball to keep Eli safe.

But we might still win because our defense is also good and we can put Stevie Brown and DRC on megatron with some help and then just watch Stafford fart himself and occasionally complete a pass to megatron anyway.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Every week Packers.com pull together a dope sheet of random facts and figures with regard to the week's matchup.

The Packers / Seahawks sheet: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-Seahawks-Week-1-Dope-Sheet/43ca54a9-b703-477b-b554-cfffbd31be14

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The Bengals always look like poo poo on opening day and Andy Dalton always plays like garbage against the Ravens.

In conclusion, Bengals by 30

Come on, cough up some honest evaluation. For my part the Ravens secondary could be the big weakness in this match up. All of our starting corners are hurt but really only in the way that football players constantly play though so they'll be in the game. The third corner, Asa Jackson, is young and inexperienced. He'll make up a few plays with athleticism but may get eaten alive by competent route running and a little trickery. Add to this that Matt Elam has not improved at all and Darian Stewart, possibly the league's worst starting safety last year, are on the back end and we might get smoked for a lot of passing yards.

Unless the Bengals O-line has improved there will probably be a good deal of pressure on Dalton. The loss of Art Jones won't hurt near as bad with Jernigan taking over his slot.

The Ravens o-line is improved but probably still a weakness overall. This is especially true at RT where Ricky Wagner is going to have to get a season or two of play to grow into a middle of the road tackle.

With the new offense expect a ton of 5 yard passes to Steve Smith and RB/TE/FB screens. As a matter of fact expect a whole lot of FB screens. Kyle Jusychkeyafgafaeafk is more TE that blocks from the backfield than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 50 catches this year.

As for the running game, it is a totally different animal with last year's crap center and LG being replaced with competent starters. I would keep your eyes on rookie RB Taliafero on short yardage downs. He has consistently sent defenders 2 yards backwards after initial contact.

What's new with the Bengals?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Colts are going to get crushed week 1. Peyton will become the 2nd QB to beat all 32 teams.

But that's what I thought last year too for this game, and the Colts won. Who the gently caress knows what the Colts are going to bring any given week.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

TubeStank posted:

Every week Packers.com pull together a dope sheet of random facts and figures with regard to the week's matchup.

The Packers / Seahawks sheet: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-Seahawks-Week-1-Dope-Sheet/43ca54a9-b703-477b-b554-cfffbd31be14

this is a pro click

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Kalli posted:

TNF: Packers @ Seahawks

hawks motherfuckre :hawksin:

quote:

Sunday:
1pm
Washington @ Texans

r**skins gonna get murdered by the ___Starting_Quarterback___ Experience + Arian Foster because gently caress them, seriously

quote:

Titans @ Chiefs

gently caress Jake Locker. gently caress Bishop Sankey, gently caress the Huskies, roll god drat Chiefs, poo poo

quote:

Patriots @ Dolphins
lmao phins. y'all gonna get Brady'd

quote:

Raiders @ Jets
tossup and I'm okay with either team taking it but I'm leaning Jets here

quote:

Jaguars @ Eagles
is bortle a bad enough dude to outscore the eagles in a shootout?? probably not. shady doin' thangs

quote:

Browns @ Steelers
gently caress the god drat steelers I hope their franchise never wins another single god drat game, go loving Browns forever

quote:

Vikings @ Rams
apparently bradford's backup is pretty good? rams D is way better than vikings so this seems like a tossup but i'd like to see MN do something so Go Vikings

quote:

Bills @ Bears
5 words: bills staring qb ej manual. game: bears. cutler rules

quote:

Bengals @ Ravens
i have no goddamn clue but joe flacco speaks to be on an autistic level so go ravens I guess? eifert is cool though so I don't really care

quote:

Saints @ Falcons
gently caress THE SAINTS

quote:

4:30pm
Panthers @ Buccaneers
:swoon: cam and the nobodies vs TB and the new guys. i don't know what to expect out of TB with their new QB and mike evans + supporting cast, so this is a super intriguing matchup imo. i'm cool with either winning

quote:

49ers @ Cowboys

quote:

SNF: Colts @ Broncos
gently caress THE BRONCOS GO COLTS

quote:

MNF:
7pm Giants @ Lions
lmao lions in a landslide. also stafford and megatron are gnar as gently caress and I wish them nothing but the best

quote:

10:30pm Chargers @ Cardinals
rooting cardinals, but only because of :swoon:Deone Bucannon :swoon:
carson palmer is the 2nd dullest qb in the league after matt ryan so gently caress him

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

Sunday:

1pm
Jaguars @ Eagles

Eagles will run over whatever mediocre defense the Jags are trotting out this year. I'd almost say that Jacksonville should start Bortles and get him some reps against our really bad secondary, but their O-line is putrid and Philly has a stable of half-decent pass rushers. The Jaguar's no name WRs vs Philadelphia's garbage DBs is a case of a stoppable force against a movable object, whihc at least gives Jacksonville a chance. Long story short: Eagles over Jaguars. Probably 31-17 or something.

quote:

49ers @ Cowboys

gently caress the Cowboys. Tony Romo tears off his own skin revealing himself as a lizard person from far beneath the surface of the earth. There are rules against this kind of thing. 49ers 49, Dallas 3.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Jaguars vs the Eagles is going to be a bit of a poo poo show. The Jags defense is pretty stiff against the run and has decent pass rush, but I don't think either of those units stand much a chance against our line. That is, of course, unless Barbre is a complete turnstile. That's really going to be the most interesting part of this match as Lane Johnson out of the lineup could cause us gigantic problems when we get to the 49ers. This will be a bit of a test run. The terrifying thing about it is Foles will have to respond to pressure most likely, something last season he largely didn't have to deal with. The numbers suggest, to me at least, that Foles under pressure is barely an NFL starter. It will be interesting, at least.

The reason it will be a poo poo show really, though, is how difficult to defend Chip's passing offense is and how the Jags pass coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Couple that with a Jags offense more impotent than the Eagles Defense (which I hold out hopes for being improved with Vinny Curry getting put into the mix a lot more) and you have a game that ends with an Eagles 14 point lead, probably. We won't really have any idea if Foles is the real deal or not from this unless he plays really poorly.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'd like for the Bills to beat the Bears, but hiring Stafford's old quarterback "coach" to mentor E.J. Manuel was a really bad idea. Also, the Bills special teams coach is terrible which may give the Hester-less Bears a chance.

Suh is probably going to kill Eli. Hopefully Stafford doesn't lock onto Megatron like he did in the preseason. If Stafford spreads the ball around and the defense doesn't commit all of the penalties, the Lions should probably win.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The other game I'm keyed in to watch is the thursday night game, Green Bay at Seattle (who isn't, eh?). Green Bay's offensive line is actually pretty decent at pass pro and doesn't need to worry about opening things up for Lacy too much, so it will be the triumphant return of Aaron Rodgers. What makes this really interesting to me is that I kind of view Rodgers as a guy as talented as Peyton but still young and in his prime with just as many weapons available to him as the Broncos do. In essence, it will be a bit of a Superbowl ramped up to me, fueled by the bullshit catch with Golden Tate a while back. I think Nelson is a good and physical enough receiver to beat out Sherman potentially, and I think Cobb being back is going to really test this Seattle defense right away. Packers are going to be a team to watch again and that really excites me for some reason.

Then there's the other end of it. Russell Wilson is coming into his third year and has Percy Harvin back. Lynch is getting older too, and while Turbin and Michael are there to keep a strong run game going, I think the offense is going to have to be a little more balanced (as Carroll has claimed it will be) to keep enough points on the board to let the defense carry the torch from there. Green Bay's defense hasn't been particularly good in a while, but it's really not bad at all, excepting perhaps pass defense. It's going to be fun to see if Wilson utilizes Harvin and what looks different about his game compared to the superbowl.

You'd think Seattle would take this on sheer momentum alone and on their home turf and with the win against GB in the bullshit call thing, but I kind of think GB takes it and Seattle fans freak the gently caress out.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

News: Suh/Fairley against the Giants poo poo stain interior OL

Views: Bet the under

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

TubeStank posted:

I used to get something like this in an email when working for the Vikings. If you pay attention to game commentators, you'll hear a lot of stuff listed on dope sheets repeated by them. Some of it will also pop up in preview articles. It's basically sport journalists' cheat sheet.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

wheez the roux posted:

r**skins gonna get murdered by the ___Starting_Quarterback___ Experience + Arian Foster because gently caress them, seriously

I thought you were above the influence. smh

Its on the road and the defense is a mess so I'm guessing Texans win even if the offense moves the ball.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Packers will be running a no-huddle offense for the Seahawk game. Rodgers has a million weapons. The only thing I'm concerned about for the Packers offense is our tackles are kinda eh and our center is a rookie who didn't get any snaps in the preseason with the first team. Seattle's starting DBs didn't draw a single penalty in the preseason over a combined 285 snaps. Should be good classic #1 offense vs #1 defense.

Packers secondary is now actually a point of strength for the defense thanks to Clinton-Dix getting drafted and Hyde being worth a poo poo. Casey Hayward's return sets the Packers CBs pretty solidly deep between Hayward, Tramon Williams, and Sam Shields. The big weakness on defense is the defensive line thanks to a lack of BJ Raji and no one to really replace him. Look for Seattle to run Lynch through the gut pretty often and set players to chip the hell out of Matthews and Peppers.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Re: cowboys-49ers

I think Dallas's cover 2 scheme will provide an advantage against Kaepernick's running ability. Man coverage tends to open up space for running qbs but with the Cowboys' quick linebackers sitting back in zone, it should force SF to throw and I think Kaep will have a tough time. Frank Gore running between the tackles is a concern but I think the addition of Henry Melton should help to gum up the works and make for some tough sledding.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans are going to get exposed big time defensively. JJ and Clowney will be good but the Texans have no decent cover LBs or slot corners so draws and slants are going to destroy them

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I doubt a rookie safety in his first game in the NFL is going to transform a previous weakness into a team's strength. Especially one from Alabama, their defenders haven't exactly stacked up as of late.

I mean you'd have to be an idiot to invest in a Bama defender with your 1st rou... C.J. Mosely is from where?

Oh. :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Gnar as gently caress?

?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ZenVulgarity posted:

Gnar as gently caress?

?

That sure is some analysis.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the Panthers have never beaten the Lovie Smith during the Rivera era.

I don't think the Panthers offense will click yet, but I think their defense will manhandle the Bucs and whoever they trot out at QB. Carolina's corners can't stay with the Bucs receivers but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Expect a very conservative gameplan from the Panthers, and hopefully they move on from DeAngelo and lean on Stewart who has looked like a man possessed this preseason.

This looks like a 13-7/12-6 type game that I think Carolina grits out.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We get to face the patriots at our weakest (missing Pouncey, Jones, and Dion Jordan) while we dont face the Jets until the end of the year when their weakest position (CB) greatly benefits our strongest position (WR)

Life isnt fair

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

:swoon: cam and the nobodies vs TB and the new guys. i don't know what to expect out of TB with their new QB and mike evans + supporting cast, so this is a super intriguing matchup imo. i'm cool with either winning

You can probably expect a great defense and a mid table (if we're lucky) offense from the Bucs. The Bucs first team defense looked lights out the last three games of the preseason, and I know, preseason :jerkbag: but its a Lovie Smith defense with possibly the best DT in the game and one of the best 4-3 OLBs in the game and general competence elsewhere. The offense is a mystery, mostly because of the line. How will Mankins do? Can he pick up the offense in time to be effective? Who will start at the other guard spot? Will Collins look the lovely player he looked like for large parts of the preseason or will he look like the player from last year the Bucs spent a lot of money on? Who the hell knows, but the Bucs offense hinges on the line play. If McCown has more than 2 seconds in the pocket he might could put in an Alex Smith like performance and get us 17-21 points from the offense, if they get mauled by the Panthers front seven, ewwww, it doesn't bear thinking about.

It helps the Bucs chances that Cam is injured and likely to be more limited in his mobility and that he has no one of note to throw the ball to or hand off to. The Panthers have a great front 7 though and against that shaky Bucs line, well, I'm not super confident we can pull it off.

I look for a low scoring, defensively dominated game with a final score something like 17-10.

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 1, 2014

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oops, wrong thread. Game analysis: Bills' offense is terrible and the Bears will be able to wear out our D enough to win without much issue.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

You fool, MV is gonna find you

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I doubt a rookie safety in his first game in the NFL is going to transform a previous weakness into a team's strength. Especially one from Alabama, their defenders haven't exactly stacked up as of late.

I mean you'd have to be an idiot to invest in a Bama defender with your 1st rou... C.J. Mosely is from where?

Oh. :(

Mosley is pretty badass. So is Upshaw. :mad:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Brannock posted:

The Packers will be running a no-huddle offense for the Seahawk game. Rodgers has a million weapons. The only thing I'm concerned about for the Packers offense is our tackles are kinda eh and our center is a rookie who didn't get any snaps in the preseason with the first team. Seattle's starting DBs didn't draw a single penalty in the preseason over a combined 285 snaps. Should be good classic #1 offense vs #1 defense.

Packers secondary is now actually a point of strength for the defense thanks to Clinton-Dix getting drafted and Hyde being worth a poo poo. Casey Hayward's return sets the Packers CBs pretty solidly deep between Hayward, Tramon Williams, and Sam Shields. The big weakness on defense is the defensive line thanks to a lack of BJ Raji and no one to really replace him. Look for Seattle to run Lynch through the gut pretty often and set players to chip the hell out of Matthews and Peppers.

Except apparently Brad Jones is good again??

Between Lynch being a million years old, Michael having fumble problems, and the Seahawks terrible O-line I'm more worried about Wilson out of the pocket than anything.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lynch turned 28 a few months ago.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Green Bay's offensive line is actually pretty decent at pass pro

No it isn't. Going back from last year, 26th, 31st, 23rd, 21st in adjusted sack rate.

At their best, they're just "below average" but really they're bad. Very far away from "pretty decent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kalli posted:

49ers @ Cowboys

It's nice that the Niners will have at least one relatively easy game before the roof falls in on our season because a bunch of our players had their brains removed during the offseason and because Goodell decided to wait until the absolutely last minute before dropping the hammer on Aldon Smith.

Sorry, Dallas fans Tony Romo.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 1, 2014

• Locked thread