Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
many programmers aren't engineers and many engineers aren't programmers

makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
im neither but I get paid like one because computers are complicated enough to sound scary but not complicated enough to be beyond my meagre grasp

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
some times you're a computeer,
and some times you're a computologist

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I've said it before but the greatest superpower in programming is googling the error message and clicking the stack overflow links. That's a skill worth more than any degree and I wish more people on my team had it instead of asking me and watching me do it in front of them

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Fib posted:

I've said it before but the greatest superpower in programming is googling the error message and clicking the stack overflow links. That's a skill worth more than any degree and I wish more people on my team had it instead of asking me and watching me do it in front of them

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

suffix posted:

some times you're a computeer,
and some times you're a computologist

some times your a proctor and some times your e a proctologist

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I'm a chip whisperer

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
im a licensed computer

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

rotor posted:

I'm a chip whisperer

im really really good at chip's challenge

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Radio Paranoia posted:

many programmers aren't engineers and many engineers aren't programmers

makes u think
the school of computing at my university was part of the faculty of engineering. i tell people i know who are real engineers (civil, mechanical etc.) that i'm one too and it makes them really angry

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

big scary monsters posted:

the school of computing at my university was part of the faculty of engineering. i tell people i know who are real engineers (civil, mechanical etc.) that i'm one too and it makes them really angry

lol ours was a sub group under ee within engineering

as in, didn't have our own chair, whoever was cs chair was official assistant chair under the old fossil of an ee chair

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

The Management posted:

computer science - study algorithms and complexity
computer engineering - build computers
software engineering - design software
programming - write software
code janitoring - maintain software
computer janitoring - use software

paste this into the forums rules thx

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Fib posted:

lol that isn't a superpower its barest minimum competence

if your team doesnt even meet that bar you must be p terrible to still be working there

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
there's a lot of terrible places out there

like have you seen the california DMV website?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Misogynist posted:

im a licensed computer

lol 22k/year

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

carry on then posted:

lollin at all the engineering programs that have to put up with cs departments in the same building, they should be confined to the math building where they belong

at my school cs was cloistered off with the psychology department in one building of terribleness

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

lol 22k/year

$20,000 of 1892 dollars would be worth: $526,315.79 in 2014

:eyepop: I would be a compute

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

lol 22k/year

p sure that figure is per year

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

rotor posted:

I'm a chip whisperer

interior crocodile alligator

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

MeruFM posted:

there's a lot of terrible out there

ii oh el
Jan 9, 2007

carry on then posted:

p sure that figure is per year

they are. using a cpi estimate the positions are 26k and 37k per annum in 2014 dollars

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

we used to have engineering (actual engineerin) and then informatics (maths and computers and whatnot)

then for some reason they decided to merge a whole bunch of faculties so now it's engineering & information sciences and no one from either side is happy about it

and journalism is in creative arts now apparently lmao

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

lol 22k/year

i hope u know why this is deceptive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

coffeetable posted:

lol that isn't a superpower its barest minimum competence

if your team doesnt even meet that bar you must be p terrible to still be working there

MeruFM posted:

there's a lot of terrible places out there

These are both true

• Locked thread