Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
my parents just let me drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
every time my kid does soemthing bad i put another pokemon card in the fire

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Did it occur to you that you might not have done it again even if they hadn't spanked you? What if they gave you a time out instead? It's possible that just the other kid talking to you helped you realize why you shouldn't do that, but your parents spanking you upset you so much that that was all you remembered.

No, I remember the kid taking me back because I was angry with him for doing so and stubbed my toe trying to pull away from him. I remember my mom being very scared and upset. In all honesty, I don't remember actually being spanked. Like, I can't picture it or anything as opposed to my memory of walking up there and the toe-stubbing. I remember being scared of being spanked and that being the consequence for me going to the highway, and I remember thinking spanking was a bad punishment and I shouldn't do things if my mom said she'd spank me for it. So I didn't. It really only took that one time.

Maybe I have a completely different interpretation of what a spanking is, because this was literally one swat on the butt, like you'd swat a mosquito. Children have a way of amplifying the the positivity and negativity of experiences, however, and I built it up to be the scariest thing ever.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Dear previous 8000 generations of humans-

don't have kids

- agoon

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maoist Pussy posted:

Dear previous 8000 generations of humans-

don't have kids

- agoon

that would've been cool, yes

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

THS posted:

spanking fetishes and "daddy" stuff is p. disturbing on a lot of levels imo

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I am a Childfree, please take my parenting advice.

- agoon

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
"my intuition is better than scientific research" - a fat american

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I used to get mad at people who had no control over their kids, because of the noise + destroying everything in sight when out in public.

Then you gotta remember that the parent can never get any peace, they have to put up with this poo poo 24/7.
Weak cunts getting owned by their kids

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
shut the gently caress up all of you

Here's how to do it properly:

When you have your first child you hire a child actor to come round your house often enough, progressively more frequently as your child ages. You teach your child that this is their older brother / sister

when your first born is old enough to understand the concept of death, you have the child actor (fake sibling) gently caress up in a facile way (spills a drink on the floor, gets a B on homework etc) and then you fake-murder them infront of your actual child

This way your real child learns that even the slightest mistake can bring grizzly death, and will either grow to be a faultless, perfect person or remove themselves from the genepool in a timely manner

hth

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 1, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
getting spanked ruled compared to being grounded or getting my poo poo taken away.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
i blackmailed my real mom, not the fajke one my dad married 4 times, and told her, "i'm steal the giggarettes, and will keep doing so until you sell them to me"

<started smoking at age 15

i ran the mile in under 5 minutes then

welp

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

i like smoking even if it kills me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Quickscope420dad posted:

When you have your first child you hire a child actor to come round your house often enough, progressively more frequently as your child ages. You teach your child that this is their older brother / sister

when your first born is old enough to understand the concept of death, you have the child actor (fake sibling) gently caress up in a facile way (spills a drink on the floor, gets a B on homework etc) and then you fake-murder them infront of your actual child

This way your real child learns that even the slightest mistake can bring grizzly death, and will be either grow to be a faultless, perfect person or remove themselves from the genepool in a timely manner

hth

"And that's why you don't teach lessons to your son."

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

some guy says dont do that and now i have too, but gently caress twitter, asnd your "white hats"

lets watxch the world melt

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
working-class parents are more likely to spank or beat their children because their main concern is that children obey but they don't give a poo poo if they agree with it or not

middle-class parents are more likely to use deprivation or confinements because their main concern is that children understand why the thing is wrong

these also correlate heavily with their children's likely working environments and the survival skills necessary

what i'm getting from this is that we can tell who grew up poor and who didn't lol

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Effectronica posted:

working-class parents are more likely to spank or beat their children because their main concern is that children obey but they don't give a poo poo if they agree with it or not

middle-class parents are more likely to use deprivation or confinements because their main concern is that children understand why the thing is wrong

these also correlate heavily with their children's likely working environments and the survival skills necessary

what i'm getting from this is that we can tell who grew up poor and who didn't lol

i rescued 12 people once from a blizzard when i was 9 years old.

i should have left them thetre to freeze to death

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

streams flowwing this way

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Quickscope420dad posted:

This way your real child learns that even the slightest mistake can bring grizzly death, and will either grow to be a faultless, perfect person or remove themselves from the genepool in a timely manner

hth

We got ourselves a George Bluth over here.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ColdReaches posted:

i rescued 12 people once from a blizzard when i was 9 years old.

i should have left them thetre to freeze to death

meanwhile, we can infer you grew up in a house with lead paint and alcoholic parents

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
wait did that actually happen in arrested devlopment because i've watched every episode of it and i don't remember any of it

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Effectronica posted:

meanwhile, we can infer you grew up in a house with lead paint and alcoholic parents

and?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

Ya but you left rich people out, is it that rich people are just further down a track prioritizing comprehension over obedience? My guess would be they let their kids do whatever they want but emphasize the importance of appearances, for example acting like a maniac and breaking poo poo at home is fine because we can just buy more poo poo but doing it at a restaurant is wrong

Quickscope420dad posted:

wait did that actually happen in arrested devlopment because i've watched every episode of it and i don't remember any of it

There is an entire running gag i wanna say midseries about how George would teach the kids lessons by hiring that guy with one arm to display the horrific consequences of small transgressions like not leaving a note

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
I used to walk uphill both ways through twelve feet of snow. I got spanked if I got the doormat wet.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Quickscope420dad posted:

I don't remember that lesson specifically, but it's super Bluthy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Ya but you left rich people out, is it that rich people are just further down a track prioritizing comprehension over obedience? My guess would be they let their kids do whatever they want but emphasize the importance of appearances, for example acting like a maniac and breaking poo poo at home is fine because we can just buy more poo poo but doing it at a restaurant is wrong

There is an entire running gag i wanna say midseries about how George would teach the kids lessons by hiring that guy with one arm to display the horrific consequences of small transgressions like not leaving a note

there's not as much data because really rich people are small enough to have issues with doing studies of them, but im guessing that your idea is probably right, as a natural extension of training their kids to view themselves as on top but having manners to uphold

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Ebola Roulette posted:

I used to walk uphill both ways through twelve feet of snow. I got spanked if I got the doormat wet.

hosed up if true

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Zombies' Downfall posted:

ah that rings a bell yeah

lol enjoyable show in which zero characters are likeable, way underrated

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

Seriously though some people say they used to get "spanked" when really they got beaten with a belt or something.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I don't remember that lesson specifically, but it's super Bluthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWZrDH5X8o

im sleep, in an alcoholic place

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

go gently caress yourself

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
in any case, i had carnies for parents so every time i did something bad they'd make me practice trapeze acts and memorize makeup patterns. i still can't use a catwalk without posing gracefully

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

ColdReaches posted:

i blackmailed my real mom, not the fajke one my dad married 4 times, and told her, "i'm steal the giggarettes, and will keep doing so until you sell them to me"

<started smoking at age 15

i ran the mile in under 5 minutes then

welp

my parents bought cigs for me because they assumed if they didn't i'd buy them from other people who might also sell me acid and weed

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
teach your kids a valuable lesson about human nature by having them write compassionate and enthusiastic introduction / new poster threads in GBS

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ebola Roulette posted:

Seriously though some people say they used to get "spanked" when really they got beaten with a belt or something.

most people who "spank" do it multiple times a year, and a quarter of them "spank" their kids at least once a week. good company to be in imo

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The only Morcheeba song I know is Enjoy the Ride. Do they always have weird-rear end videos?

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

my parents bought cigs for me because they assumed if they didn't i'd buy them from other people who might also sell me acid and weed

it was like you want a kid with a shop lifting sheet?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Spanking is fine while they're still small, but the only way to get a teenager to behave is with the threat of cucking.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

I hit my kid on the butt so no one will see the bruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
i abuse my dick daily OP

• Locked thread