Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Rene Bork posted:

Don't say that so loud. Therrien might hear you.

Did we discuss the disturbing rumours that the Habs are offering a tryout to Dustin Penner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

evenworse username posted:

Did we discuss the disturbing rumours that the Habs are offering a tryout to Dustin Penner?

Have we told Penner it's actually called "crepes" in Quebec?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
really excited about the new season and the potential that new acrimonious avatars have with the new 100k and 150x150 limits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

really excited about the new season and the potential that new acrimonious avatars have with the new 100k and 150x150 limits.

It's only matter of time before some idiot GM hands out a ridiculous contract for some mediocre avatar.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Anyone use GameCenter with a Roku box or something like that in the past? How did it work? I seem to remember people with AppleTV saying it worked real well, and I'm kind of debating getting one or the other (Roku or AppleTV)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Martytoof posted:

I have no idea why, but I paid $99 for GCL this year. Maybe because I'm using Unblock-US and it just threw me into a cheaper region? I dunno. Wasn't $75 but definitely wasn't $160..

I think that might be the Canadian early-bird deal or whatever, I'll check to see how much they charge me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'll probably have 2 spare coupons from NHL15 next week. I doubt they work with Russia to save any further, but if you don't want to risk any IP/geolocation issues I think they're for $50 each or something?

Edit: It's $25.

JawKnee posted:

I think that might be the Canadian early-bird deal or whatever, I'll check to see how much they charge me

The page still says "NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is not yet available for purchase in Canada. More information will be available in the coming weeks, please check back soon." for me.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 2, 2014

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

dyn posted:

Thin pancakes :colbert:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

dyn posted:

McGill has an excellent orthopedics department for when he throws his back out eating said crepes.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i sort of forgot it was September

ginc
Mar 25, 2007

Blatant Daniel Alfredsson apologist
Ottawa is a longshot to make the playoffs (more likely to finish 11th in the East) but IMO the only thing that could result in them tanking/selling for McDavid is a long-term Karlsson injury. If he's healthy then he's enough to prevent them from finishing last, and then you've got average-to-good goaltending and a number of forwards in contract years, most notably Bobby Ryan.

Losing Spezza and replacing him with David Legwand and spare parts is a definitely a downgrade, but Spezza played hurt last season and missed the nearly all of the season before that. Spezza's last elite season was 3 years ago and was pretty much his only healthy season in the past 5 years. When he plays hurt (which is often), he puts up points but also puts up weak possession numbers at even strength. Or, if you prefer a "watch the games" analysis, he skates like Jason Allison and is about as effective at backchecking.

Its crazy to be talking about a 34-year-old player being less of an injury risk than a 31-year-old, but here we are. Of course, Legwand is still an injury risk and Spezza could have a healthy season in Dallas and put up 80 points, but that's just as likely as Ottawa making the playoffs.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Spezza probably won't be facing first pair D in Dallas so I wouldn't be shocked if he exceeds expectations. Then again, the Central is much more grueling and way better defensively.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ginc posted:

Ottawa is a longshot to make the playoffs (more likely to finish 11th in the East) but IMO the only thing that could result in them tanking/selling for McDavid is a long-term Karlsson injury. Giving Cowen and Phillips more minutes.

I like this version

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Dallas is going to be a good team next year, I'll be shocked if they miss playoffs.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

Dallas is going to be a good team next year, I'll be shocked if they miss playoffs.

Anders Lindback, Kari groin, a Goose/Daley top pair, collapse of a Patrick defense, it could happen.

ginc
Mar 25, 2007

Blatant Daniel Alfredsson apologist
Other teams realized about halfway through last season that Ottawa's Turris line was better than their Spezza line and started deploying their better D against them. That's why Turris' production cooled off, although he maintained good possession numbers the whole way.

Spezza will have an easier matchups as a #2C in Dallas but 80 points is a lot these days, I'd say 65-70 pro-rated over 82 games is more likely.

Levitate posted:

Cowen and Philips more minutes
They were both getting 20 minutes last season, including powerplay time for Philips and hard matchups for Cowen (both were terrible), so the only way they get more is if Methot gets traded or... Karlsson gets injured.

ginc fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 2, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DOOMocrat posted:

Anders Lindback, Kari groin, a Goose/Daley top pair, collapse of a Patrick defense, it could happen.

That is true, but you could say the same for almost any team in the west.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

drat I didn't know it was that bad

What's Ottawa's center depth? Turris, Zibanejad, Smith? I'm getting a "Rangers center depth" vibe from that

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Levitate posted:

drat I didn't know it was that bad

What's Ottawa's center depth? Turris, Zibanejad, Smith? I'm getting a "Rangers center depth" vibe from that

Legwand

It seems to me they have three 2Cs and no 1C.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Depends on how Turris does I guess. If Spezza being gone means he gets more offensive zone draws and power play time then he might touch 70 which I'd consider first line center production. Hell, 60 points last year was good for 21st in the league for centers which is technically "1st line production", just not particularly great first line production if you don't also have a second line that's any good

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

DJExile posted:

hey guys

guys

preseason starts this month :toot:

yeah it's only preseason but goddamn i'll take what I can get

:buddy: our long, humid nightmare is nearly done.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Alexie Kovalev on the ice today for the Rangers

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/506833207804067840/photo/1

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I heard they kicked him off because he was hogging all the pucks and wouldn't let anyone else have them :v:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Stanley cup betting odds are out!

Chicago Blackhawks 13/2
Los Angeles Kings 9/1
Boston Bruins 10/1
Anaheim Ducks 12/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 12/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
San Jose Sharks 14/1
Minnesota Wild 16/1
New York Rangers 16/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 16/1
Colorado Avalanche 18/1
Montreal Canadiens 18/1
Dallas Stars 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 22/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 40/1
Vancouver Canucks 40/1
Washington Capitals 40/1
Edmonton Oilers 50/1
New Jersey Devils 50/1
Arizona Coyotes66/1
Carolina Hurricanes 66/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Ottawa Senators 66/1
Winnipeg Jets 66/1
Buffalo Sabres 75/1
Calgary Flames 75/1
Florida Panthers 75/1
Nashville Predators 75/1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It'a amazing what being over the cap can do for your odds. :angel:

Though there's good evidence that doesn't apply to the Flyers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Devils at 50/1 seems like the best long shot bet IMO.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

fits posted:

Dallas Stars 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 22/1

Holy poo poo that feels good. Mmm....

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ThinkTank posted:

I was just about to post that. Either them or the Islanders would make a pretty great payoff. I wonder if there's some guy who put a bunch of money on Carolina in 2006 as a joke.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DOOMocrat posted:

Holy poo poo that feels good. Mmm....

gently caress the Red Wings.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fits posted:

Chicago Blackhawks 13/2
Los Angeles Kings 9/1
Boston Bruins 10/1
Anaheim Ducks 12/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 12/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
San Jose Sharks 14/1
Minnesota Wild 16/1
New York Rangers 16/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 16/1
Colorado Avalanche 18/1
Montreal Canadiens 18/1
Dallas Stars 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 22/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 40/1
Vancouver Canucks 40/1
Washington Capitals 40/1
Edmonton Oilers 50/1
New Jersey Devils 50/1
Arizona Coyotes66/1
Carolina Hurricanes 66/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Ottawa Senators 66/1
Winnipeg Jets 66/1
Buffalo Sabres 75/1
Calgary Flames 75/1
Florida Panthers 75/1
Nashville Predators 75/1

Go Leafs.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Usually top 4 are pretty solid, but I don't think Boston is there anymore. Chara's too old.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

I was just about to post that. Either them or the Islanders would make a pretty great payoff. I wonder if there's some guy who put a bunch of money on Carolina in 2006 as a joke.

A poster here made a decent amount of money doing exactly that. Also, Carolina was good to great for like the past three years before the cup win.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Usually top 4 are pretty solid, but I don't think Boston is there anymore. Chara's too old.

Also it has Anaheim in it.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

:buddy: our long, humid nightmare is nearly done.

:buddy: Getting pumped for a McDavid worthy winter from the Flyers!

And I'm moving back to PA tomorrow! Well, not fully yet, but it's a start.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Also it has Anaheim in it.

The Ducks are up! up! up!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

DOOMocrat posted:

A poster here made a decent amount of money doing exactly that. Also, Carolina was good to great for like the past three years before the cup win.

they were the worst team two seasons before, bottom ten before the lockout, and missed the playoffs the year after lol

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

fits posted:

Chicago Blackhawks 13/2
Los Angeles Kings 9/1
Boston Bruins 10/1
Anaheim Ducks 12/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 12/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
San Jose Sharks 14/1
Minnesota Wild 16/1
New York Rangers 16/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 16/1
Colorado Avalanche 18/1
Montreal Canadiens 18/1
Dallas Stars 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 22/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 40/1
Vancouver Canucks 40/1
Washington Capitals 40/1
Edmonton Oilers 50/1
New Jersey Devils 50/1
Arizona Coyotes66/1
Carolina Hurricanes 66/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Ottawa Senators 66/1
Winnipeg Jets 66/1
Buffalo Sabres 75/1
Calgary Flames 75/1
Florida Panthers 75/1
Nashville Predators 75/1

Oilers are just as good as the Devils now, they truly are back

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I do seriously wonder how Boston will be when Chara really falls off the cliff...him being terrible and injured against Montreal did seem to be a large reason they lost that series.

They have good players on their blueline but Chara is unique and you just can't replace that. I'd wager it plays a large role in knocking them down from the pedestal of "big bad bruins best team in the east" to just another good team in the mix of good teams in the east.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Verviticus posted:

they were the worst team two seasons before, bottom ten before the lockout, and missed the playoffs the year after lol

Man, I was thinking the 02 finals appearance was much later than it actually was. 03-04 they finished third, that was still a good year for them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Levitate posted:

Anyone use GameCenter with a Roku box or something like that in the past? How did it work? I seem to remember people with AppleTV saying it worked real well, and I'm kind of debating getting one or the other (Roku or AppleTV)

It never worked on my Roku, but I have an older one, so maybe that's why? I just canceled my auto-renew, but I don't know which of these shifty schemes I am going to jump on.

ThinkTank posted:

They were last year too at I think 40/1, but we all know how that turned out. :mad: I wonder if Vegas oddsmakers were big Brodeur fans or summat?

• Locked thread