Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Previous Jesus posted:

CoL sold their Call of Duty team (the best in the world) to EG for 80k iirc.

CoD probably pulls less money than League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

wodin posted:

The curse owner (Liquid112) estimated approximately 50k in seed money if you 'want to do it right.' Trigger warning - reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2faoml/ama_steve_liquid112_arhancet_owner_and_gm_for/ck7j12i

Given that level of investment you'd have to figure that a successful club would be worth substantially more.

For sure, but I guess the question right here is whether we can consider CA a successful team that looks like a promising long term investment. None of their players past Saint are very marketable with their current star power, for starters. But say they get in for S5 LCS, do they look like they have the talent to stay there and improve? They're currently considered to be the worst of the three challenger teams in promotion, and with reports of all-Korean teams heading towards NA, it's a risky bet. If they fall out of LCS, they're unavoidably deep in the red for the next X months, which is a difficult issue for League specifically.

But raising the bar for success and looking at NA teams past coL and LMQ, EG possibly (too prideful to sell?), I doubt any of them would be for sale at 300k$, whereas more EU teams would be. Just guessing though, what do I know.

e: Also worth noting is how Liquid's quote of 50k$ was for starting a new team from scratch. CA was created under different circumstances that might've required a fraction of that seed money.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 5, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

glomkettle posted:

CoD probably pulls less money than League.

Oh, definitely. There's one CoD team (OpTic) where the players probably make more than League players who aren't on TSM/aren't named Doublelift/Froggen but beyond that there's a big drop off. It was just one of the few transfers in esports for which I actually know the amount of money exchanged.

I agree that the coL CoD team was probably not very profitable for coL, if at all.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 5, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
There's a video going around from Jan 2012 of some pro players (Hotshot, Doublelift, Dyrus, Wickd) discussing whether or not Koreans are going to be a threat.

It's hilarious how wrong Doublelift's prediction is.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i have never known a dlift prediction to be correct ever

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
http://clgaming.net/news/609-montecristo-steps-down-as-coach

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Expected that. I hoped he could become a fulltime coach, but frankly, staying with OGN is a much smarter decision for Monte.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I am so ready for Coach Zuna.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pretty sure everyone saw that coming. And it was clearly the right choice. CLG needs a full time coach to be in house 24/7 to deal with the team and all the issues. Especially during Bo3/5s to keep them from tilting.

Hopefully they do find someone good (though I don't know who) to fill the coaching role.

Also, agree with people saying CLG should keep the same roster for a while. Changing people out after each split never allows the team to fully mesh correctly. They need to get use to being a team.

Hypocrisy posted:

Who better to teach DoubleLift how to throw as Trist since she is the #1 pick these days?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

This isn't a joke btw for other people reading this post. Zuna was in the CLG house in Doublelift's stream and people are speculating that he's CLG's new coach lol.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hypocrisy posted:

CoachU ZuNa

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Monathin posted:

Is it that he doesn't take practice seriously or is it that he's put off by how hard Dexter tries and hounds on teammates to try? You can't just say "he doesn't take practice seriously" without there being an underlying reason, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dexter was tryharding to the point where Link hates practice because of it. It's great that Dexter wants to improve but I think if it's at the cost of team morale and attitude that needs to be looked at.
From watching Chasing the Cup (I know...but it's all we have) it seems pretty clear that Dexter only started having a problem with Link after Link wouldn't practice properly (focusing on Hearthstone, etc). I will agree that Dexter probably could express himself better, being a 20~ year old pro gamer means that's probably a given, but at the end of the day CLG's goal is explicitly to get to (and in their perfect dream scenario, win) Worlds so I can't fault Dexter for getting upset that Link doesn't want to practice properly. And what do you mean, "tryharding"? It's their job.

Previous Jesus posted:

This isn't a joke btw for other people reading this post. Zuna was in the CLG house in Doublelift's stream and people are speculating that he's CLG's new coach lol.
To be serious about Zuna, for a minute, all of the former Vulcun/XDG guys said he had ridiculous game knowledge, even when admitting that his play was less-than-ideal, so maybe this isn't a stupid as it might seem? I still think CLG will need a separate life coach and sports psychologist in addition to a normal coach for them to really get anywhere, though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Previous Jesus posted:

I mean, it's not a joke. I love Zuna and am glad to see him getting back into pro play.

Plus, he's the perfect lightning rod for CLG while he just hangs out with them and teaches them to be friends!

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Since teams use solo/duo queue as a large part of individual preparation for tournaments you really have to question the quality of the practice when the outcome can potentially be decided by literal children - ragequitting, going AFK for chores etc. Even as a casual player I find it hard to keep going after being matched with a terrible team who waste 20+ minutes of my time, let alone do it for 8 hours a day and expect to gain something from it. The unknown variables of the 'team' you are matched with can be frustrating enough but when even your friends/colleagues refuse to take games seriously due to the unstructured nature of the practice environment I imagine it is incredibly disheartening.

8 Ball fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 5, 2014

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Regardless of Zuna's coaching ability, the man had a great attitude on his team and just in general. Keeping him on just so the house has a good atmosphere is probably beneficial enough. Also I think XDG kept him for so long because of his game knowledge anyway - it can't hurt to have an ex-pro (who's also close friends with CLG) as a 6th opinion.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That's why they need sister teams, but Riot hates sister teams in LCS so they can only do so much. The lack of competition in NA hurts a lot too.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

That's why they need sister teams, but Riot hates sister teams in LCS so they can only do so much. The lack of competition in NA hurts a lot too.

That's always puzzled me.. like the presence of sister teams in OGNs makes for such great storylines.. "Frost and Blaze practice together.. now only one can escape groups. who will it be" etc.

especially with the move to 10 teams

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Korean players are talking about how good Froggen is, that's always great to see. They used to give Doublelift and Diamond a lot of respect too, but they've fallen hard.

@insideKLoL: NGTV Caster JoyLuck - "KR teams that have scrimmed against Alliance are saying 'Froggen is the real deal'."

I'm really excited to see Alliance play this season, they really got their poo poo together and they look like world beaters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Flameingblack posted:

Korean players are talking about how good Froggen is, that's always great to see. They used to give Doublelift and Diamond a lot of respect too, but they've fallen hard.

@insideKLoL: NGTV Caster JoyLuck - "KR teams that have scrimmed against Alliance are saying 'Froggen is the real deal'."

I'm really excited to see Alliance play this season, they really got their poo poo together and they look like world beaters.

Froggen is one of the guys who dominated the KR soloqueue ladder the last time he was in Korea, so its no surprise he is owning. That owns

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
It's impressive to me that Froggen has been so consistently good for such a long time. What other players can really match that?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Previous Jesus posted:

It's impressive to me that Froggen has been so consistently good for such a long time. What other players can really match that?

dyrus maybe

xspecial

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Previous Jesus posted:

I don't know about longevity but Rekkles gets a lot of Korean love too.

For those of you interested in watching NA/EU superstars possibly trying hard in soloq, you can find streams showing the games pretty easily. There are also a couple of sites following their progress such as http://koreagrind.altervista.org/ . Kind of neat. It seems like everyone is pretty much stomping the mid-tier diamond queues right now which supports the claims that the Korean ladder is pretty similar to NA/EU until you get to Diamond 1 50+ lp.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Previous Jesus posted:

Dyrus maybe? How long has Lemonation been playing? He's like 25 or something which is pretty old for a pro player.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Previous Jesus posted:

xPeke I guess.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I'd say the West has a few players who are definitely on the same level as some KR pros. Froggen, Rekkles, Dyrus, Bjergsen, Meteos, Balls. Wildturtle owns at soloqueue so I wonder if he is going to try to grind high on challenger and if he can. But in competitive I don't think he hs on those other guys levels.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Previous Jesus posted:

Flame, Weixiao?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I'm not super comfortable putting dyrus up there; he's pretty mediocre when he's mediocre but he turns on hard sometimes.

balls has also been kinda unimpressive lately.

My westerners that could hang in Korea list is like.. Bjerg and aphro and maybe xspecial

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Dyrus maybe? How long has Lemonation been playing? He's like 25 or something which is pretty old for a pro player.

Dyrus has been solid since Season 1 though on Epik gamer, I think he deserves it. Maybe he's had some ups and downs but he's never been bad.

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/the-top-10-decisions-reginald-has-made-for-tsm/1100-2167/ Speaking of Dyrus, Thorin complimenting Reggie, a rare sight.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Damiya posted:

I'm not super comfortable putting dyrus up there; he's pretty mediocre when he's mediocre but he turns on hard sometimes.

When Dyrus turns on, he turns on.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dyrus is one of two people in the world (the other being yellowstar) to have played in every single world championship

is he worth big bucks because of this

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the same note, TSM is the only team that will have competed in all worlds tournaments.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Dyrus has been playing top lane since S1 and he's always been in the top 2 or 3 in his region. Say all you want about NA top lane talent, that is still impressive. He's one of only two players in the entire world that has been at every single Worlds event and at this rate he'll be at the next four. Even at his worst he's reliable and when Dyrus is on he's red hot. He's earned his spot as one of the best in the world. If not mechanically, then certainly based on results.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Watch has been good, for a very long time.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 5, 2014

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Freaksaus posted:

On the same note, TSM is the only team that will have competed in all worlds tournaments.

Fanatic also has, right? Or were they not in season 2?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sexpansion posted:

Fanatic also has, right? Or were they not in season 2?

They missed S2, im not sure why though.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Freaksaus posted:

They missed S2, im not sure why though.

S2 WC qualification was based on a circuit point system, which fed into the regional qualifiers. The top 2 or 3 (depending on the region) from the qualifier qualified for the WC. For EU, these 3 teams were M5 (1st), SK (2nd), CLG EU (3rd). CLG EU beat Fnatic in the 3rd place match for the last spot.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
SK made the big upset by beating CLG.EU in the semis.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How the hell did I forget that, I was even there at Gamescom when that happened.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Damiya posted:

balls has also been kinda unimpressive lately.

My westerners that could hang in Korea list is like.. Bjerg and aphro and maybe xspecial

I'd say Xpecial, and maybe Yellowstar although he's changed positions. Bjerg and Aphro are recent so don't have the track record Froggen does. Froggen has just always been one of the top midlaners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Froggen carried Wickd, Snoopeh, Yellowpete and Krepo to the finals of OGN Champions and semifinals of Worlds. Even if he slumped a bit in Season 3 he has still been the overall best western player in my opinion. Diamondprox is the only close contender off the top of my head.

• Locked thread