Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I am awful at this game and haven't played in months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Danny Glands posted:

Overseer Lottery is open!
As before, you have 48 hours to declare your intent to run the fort. The winner will be selected by random draw.

You know what this fortress needs? A dark lord, risen from the dead!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I know this is from a few pages back, but elk birds are sort of a thing. The Peryton is a gribbly and nasty creature from myth. I know of them from Dungeons and Dragons, where they hunt men for their hearts in hopes of one day finding the perfect one, to stop being a retarded elk bird, I presume. Roughly 250 lbs.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Sweet atleast now we will have some amazing carved artwork directly relevant to our fortress happening.

Hopefully they are all of Elk Birds, who are far more dangerous than Gugo.

Also we need some artwork comissioned for Gugo.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Ahh, screw it, I'm only doing 1(3) lps at the moment.

Ah be aplyin for tha overseer-ship

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
What the hell, I've never done an overseership before, but Sign me up for overseer too.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.

Jvie posted:

Do overseers get a dwarf for themselves even if they aren't on the dwarfing list? I want to order alcoholics around but it would be awkward to write updates without a viewpoint character.
Either way include me in the lottery.

I think the general rule is that Overseers can dwarf themselves as soon as a suitable avatar shows up. You totally could do a year in third person, though. I went on a DF LP binge not long ago, and some of the very best contributions have been done that way. Pozzo's turn at Syrupleaf, nvining's turn at Bronzestabbed, Jazzimus Prime's year at Gemclod. Probably others I've forgotten.

(And incidentally, why the hell do I remember any of this stuff at all, rather than useful things like real people's names or how to spell "Caribbean"?)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

symuun posted:

I think the general rule is that Overseers can dwarf themselves as soon as a suitable avatar shows up. You totally could do a year in third person, though. I went on a DF LP binge not long ago, and some of the very best contributions have been done that way. Pozzo's turn at Syrupleaf, nvining's turn at Bronzestabbed, Jazzimus Prime's year at Gemclod. Probably others I've forgotten.

(And incidentally, why the hell do I remember any of this stuff at all, rather than useful things like real people's names or how to spell "Caribbean"?)

shameless power abuse is just one of the perks of Overseership.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Veloxyll posted:

shameless power abuse is just one of the perks of Overseership.

Kind of hoping Grey Hunter gets it this time just to see if the dwarves of people who were policing his spelling earlier have any unfortunate meetings with some high velocity lead bars or assigned to mining out the magma level or something

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Have we not yet selected a new leader?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
The overseer lottery is now closed, and as determined by a random draw, the new overseer is Spanish Matlock!

Good luck!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Danny Glands posted:

The new overseer is Spanish Matlock!

All hail our new dinosaur tea-party overlord!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Danny Glands posted:

The overseer lottery is now closed, and as determined by a random draw, the new overseer is Spanish Matlock!

Good luck!

Hooboy. Let's see how fast I can burn this motherfucker to the ground.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hooboy. Let's see how fast I can burn this motherfucker to the ground.

I hold to the hopes that you put it at the brink of burnt to the ground at the end of your year so that the next person can rebuild it... better... faster... stronger. With more booze.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I just hope the last overseer had the common decency to sprinkle access points all over the fort, so the next siege comes in without too much trouble.

Every overseer should be doing this. Hell, the guy running the LP should be doing this as prep work on the save before passing it along.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TildeATH posted:

I just hope the last overseer had the common decency to sprinkle access points all over the fort, so the next siege comes in without too much trouble.

Every overseer should be doing this. Hell, the guy running the LP should be doing this as prep work on the save before passing it along.

The access points are there, just really well hidden. There's one that you enter from the very edge of the map, as far away as possible from the entrance to the fortress, and goes all the way down to the first cavern level. Also there are hidden spike traps in every room, with a dwarf pulling a level to make them go on and off randomly.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there a difference in what materials make good smashing weapons, and what materials make good cutting/stabbing weapons? Or are some materials just +weapon goodness in general?

HOT drat SOMEBODY ASKED

There is a difference. Cutting/stabbing is about the weapon and the material playing top trumps with their SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE values to see whether the defending layer/tissue/armor can grind down the attack's momentum before it's sawed completely apart. If it fails, the attack must go back to square 1 where it will see if it can smash through.

Smashing is about the attack's total momentum desperately trying to overcome the IMPACT values and thickness of the defending layer/tissue/armor - much less so if it flexes (IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000). If the defending layer is heavy (volume + density) enough and the weapon is small and soft (low volume and IMPACT_YIELD) enough, the attack might just immediately deflect without ever getting to the actual comparisons. This is the only time the weapon material's IMPACT_x values are ever asked!

High weapon quality and MAX_EDGE make the slice lose less momentum as it cuts through metal and flesh. The fact that MAX_EDGE is all the same across the board is a real lost opportunity in metal balancing. To make everything just a little less instant-death-gently caress-you effective, try lowering them to 5000-6000.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 3, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Veloxyll posted:

Zarah joins the mother train. Hi Rulebook Heavily. Don't mind the pile of hastily carved birth tablets!

This is what giving people time off does to the place!

"So you say the boy likes eating pears?"

"Nay, love. He likes eating pear trees."

:iit:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

scamtank posted:

HOT drat SOMEBODY ASKED

There is a difference. Cutting/stabbing is about the weapon and the material playing top trumps with their SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE values to see whether the defending layer/tissue/armor can grind down the attack's momentum before it's sawed completely apart. If it fails, the attack must go back to square 1 where it will see if it can smash through.

Smashing is about the attack's total momentum desperately trying to overcome the IMPACT values and thickness of the defending layer/tissue/armor - much less so if it flexes (IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000). If the defending layer is heavy (volume + density) enough and the weapon is small and soft (low volume and IMPACT_YIELD) enough, the attack might just immediately deflect without ever getting to the actual comparisons. This is the only time the weapon material's IMPACT_x values are ever asked!

High weapon quality and MAX_EDGE make the slice lose less momentum as it cuts through metal and flesh. The fact that MAX_EDGE is all the same across the board is a real lost opportunity in metal balancing. To make everything just a little less instant-death-gently caress-you effective, try lowering them to 5000-6000.

How much of a random factor is there in this, though? Or is it just static values?

For instance is there a chance of a MARSHMALLOW SWORD bashing through a SOLID GRANITE PLATEMAIL, even if it's an extreme outlier? Or will some materials simply never manage to penetrate certain others?

Also MAX_EDGE sounds like a terrible 90's superhero comic.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

It's deterministic with a pile of specific factors spitting in the soup. To illustrate how, here's some notes I jotted down in my weapon_default.txt about attack momentum once:

quote:

swing velocity = [(wielder base size/10) * actual strength * attack speed multiplier * rage bonus * (1/effective heft)] * fighting quality multiplier

Rage bonus is a 1.25x multiplier and gets applied if the swinger is berserk, enraged or tantruming. Fighting quality multiplier hovers around 1x, but the total range reaches from 2x to 0,0005x. It is affected by (but not limited to) combat skills, martial trance, adverse health effects like nausea and stunning, self-discipline, gregariousness, assertiveness, being webbed, luck curses and whether the weapon needs two hands.

There's a similar "circumstances multiplier" for every step of the cutting/fracturing calculations, too. There's a range of effects, but no 1% chance of the impossible.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Spanish Matlock is on the clock. If he does not produce an update in 24 hours another overseer draw will be held from the lottery pool.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'll beat the clock. I'll have an update out before the weekend is over.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Overseer's Log for the First of Granite, 553

OOOOK Spanish Matlock, everyone’s watching us now.
They’re looking to me for leadership, not a blatant cash grab,
so I’m going to have to work my rear end off to make all the loving treasure
I’m about to walk away with worth it.

I guess we start by telling someone to haul away these stinking carcasses
that the hunters have been littering the apartment level with.

See what I mean? Even right now somebody’s murdering some kind of beast outside
someone’s bedroom. Hopefully he’ll be done soon. If only there was some other way
to acquire proficiency with a crossbow--

Do you believe in miracles? I've heard stories of archers training with inanimate
objects, but I had always thought they were myths. I don't know what dwarf invented
this strange system, but if I ever meet him I'll shake his hand.

Ok, I really don’t know why Splode is just sitting there staring into the eyes of this
dead hornbird when there’s GARBAGE TO HAUL. Do you want the whole fortress to smell like
skinless rotting pork? DO YOU?!

I’m sorry about that outburst but to be honest, a tree attacked us today. Trees. They tried
to murder Commoners. I better order someone to take that thing down. For too long it has menaced
the good dwarves of this fortress. Commoners goes to wash the sand out of… everywhere. Tough luck, mate.
Don’t worry, we’ll get that bastard.

I see some masons running down the hallway dragging half tonne stone blocks from the depths. I order
them to check the stockpile first before wasting their time on grunt work. I don’t need those perfect
hands damaged hauling stones.

WARNING: A new baby appears. Mlle Keybores gives birth to Lawman0.

The dining room engraving continues apace. Subnat Sazirmasos is my kind of nobility. She’s just down
there putting tool to stone. Baroness Consort Sazirmasos is responsible for the first masterwork
carving in our dining room. Let’s just have a look and see what she--

Oh boy. I was kind of hoping we might have maybe one work of art in this fortress that didn’t involve
being eaten by giant monsters. But I definitely see a theme here. Oh well fine art is fine art.

All right I’ve got a project for the miners. Our current refuse stockpile situation is sad. This place
is festering hole of guts and filth, to be quite honest. Get out there and dig me a proper garbage dump.
Once I have this purple mist out of the halls I can do some proper thinking.

Edit: (Made it in with an hour and a half or so to spare. Sorry I took so long, got caught up DMing a Cthulhu campaign this weekend, Next update will see us through to the end of summer.)

Edit2: Oh so THAT's how X consort works. Got it.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 8, 2014

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Someone got attacked by a tree? Man, I really need to keep up with Dwarf Fortress, I didn't know the vegetation could be aggressive. And I'm afraid to know how it got the poor victim coated in sand.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

Someone got attacked by a tree? Man, I really need to keep up with Dwarf Fortress, I didn't know the vegetation could be aggressive. And I'm afraid to know how it got the poor victim coated in sand.

It threw half of its branches at him in a cowardly sneak attack. He escaped unharmed, but the resulting walk to the well to wash off must have chafed something fierce.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

PurpleXVI posted:

Spanish Matlock posted:

It threw half of its branches at him in a cowardly sneak attack. He escaped unharmed, but the resulting walk to the well to wash off must have chafed something fierce.

Ah, so somebody cut the tree down and/or mined out its roots, and it promptly fell on them (along with some sand)? Yeah, I've done that before... :D

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
I had no idea sand could do that to dwarves. Forget the giant skinless pig with the poison sting, that's nightmare fuel.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Ah, so somebody cut the tree down and/or mined out its roots, and it promptly fell on them (along with some sand)? Yeah, I've done that before... :D

No, this is worse. It seems that sometimes growing branches pop into existence disconnected and implode from their own impossibility, causing small explosions that cover their victims in dirt.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

scamtank posted:

No, this is worse. It seems that sometimes growing branches pop into existence disconnected and implode from their own impossibility, causing small explosions that cover their victims in dirt.

So we're in Australia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus#Falling_branches posted:

Some species of gum trees drop branches unexpectedly. In Australia, Parks Victoria warns campers not to camp under River Red Gums.[22] Some Councils in Australia such as Gosnells, Western Australia, have removed eucalypts after reports of damage from dropped branches, even in the face of lengthy, well publicised protests to protect particular trees.[23] A former Australian National Botanic Gardens director and consulting arborist, Robert Boden, has been quoted referring to "summer branch drop".[24] Dropping of branches is recognised in Australia literature through the fictional death of Judy in Seven Little Australians. Although all large trees can drop branches, the weight of eucalyptus wood is high because of its density and high resin content.[citation needed]

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Huh, I thought we already had a lawman0.

That tree! Told you they're the real enemy. And right in the bee hives too!

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Could this be the work of a tree necromancer?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I wonder if it's possible to mod in a tree made out of fire that periodically explodes into firestorms.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Elth posted:

I wonder if it's possible to mod in a tree made out of fire that periodically explodes into firestorms.

Let dwarves craft metal seeds that grow into metal trees. Replace wood forests with metal ones to establish a final victory over the elves.

Any casualties to falling iron and silver branches are just a bonus.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Actually, the last time I bothered to mod Dwarf Fortress, doing something exactly like that would have been downright trivial. Not sure if it would work with the new trees, though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Actually, the last time I bothered to mod Dwarf Fortress, doing something exactly like that would have been downright trivial. Not sure if it would work with the new trees, though.

The man speaks truth. I once modded the game to let me give my military the equivalent of Nerf bats to train with.

I've been out of the DF modding scene for about four years or so now though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Gonna throw it out here that that's probably the ugliest Dwarf Fortress tileset I've ever seen.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what are the Xs that keep showing up? like there's a 3x3 grid of

XXX
XXX
XXX

that i keep seeing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

crabrock posted:

what are the Xs that keep showing up? like there's a 3x3 grid of

XXX
XXX
XXX

that i keep seeing.

That's the central staircase. X is the symbol for > and <

quote:

Gonna throw it out here that that's probably the ugliest Dwarf Fortress tileset I've ever seen.

Be careful what you wish for.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
To elaborate (:spergin:), in roguelikes and other games that use ascii, < and > are frequently used to denote up and down staircases respectively. Dwarf Fortress uses X to indicate that a tile contains a stairway that goes both up and down. Other uses for X include archery targets and bins (both of which are visible in this update!)

e: the tile for X in that set doesn't look like loving anything though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ixjuvin posted:

To elaborate (:spergin:), in roguelikes and other games that use ascii, < and > are frequently used to denote up and down staircases respectively. Dwarf Fortress uses X to indicate that a tile contains a stairway that goes both up and down. Other uses for X include archery targets and bins (both of which are visible in this update!)

e: the tile for X in that set doesn't look like loving anything though

Also floodgates

• Locked thread