Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Actually, the last time I bothered to mod Dwarf Fortress, doing something exactly like that would have been downright trivial. Not sure if it would work with the new trees, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I seem to recall that the ad-hoc graphics team was looking into that...two years ago, or so. Not sure if they got anywhere with it or not.

Also, yes, you could ABSOLUTELY make firestorm trees. All entities contain information about their natural homeotherm and heat resistance; you can, in fact, lock a given material or entity to a given heat value and make them immune to it. A neat sort-of-example that exists in the game already is Nethercap, an underground cavern mushroom-tree that is always locked in at exactly the freezing point of water. What's funny in that example is that Nethercap isn't actually as interesting for doing gimmicky things as you might think, because you need to chill water BELOW its freezing point to actually solidify it, so Nethercap is theoretically better at keeping water liquid, which could be done any number of ways on a cold map. Still, frigid mushroom logs exist if you need them for something, and if you wanted, it just takes a quick tweak of one material number to make them capable of freezing adjacent water. I'm not CERTAIN on this point, but it may even be possible for a firestorm tree to drop exploding branches, by making the wood material less heat resistant than the living entity, although this being Dwarf Fortress, that's likely to lead to all your firestorm trees spontaneously exploding in unison some hot sunny day three seasons into the new fort.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Portentous choice of words.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
This is insane, and this entire fort has been incredibly hilarious. It's amazing the poo poo Dwarf Fortress can still surprise you with even after years of playing it. I'm quite grateful for your struggling on through the glitchiness and insanity to bring us updates like this; hopefully the fort won't be TOO unstable by the time it gets to the next guy?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Alright, Crypt full of Undead Dwarven Heroes is about the most dwarfy drat thing I could have possibly imagined as an outcome of all this madness. That's FANTASTIC.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yes indeedy, though I'm afraid that's probably the most extreme version on offer. I certainly haven't seen migrants with a more dire arrival message, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Used to be you could die of suffocation from throat or lung injuries months after the initial wound, but I didn't think that was still the case; I may well be wrong.

• Locked thread