Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'll just leave this dwarf pubic hair here in case anyone ever needs a new avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I blame Gray Hunter's insufficient grasp of the English language.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vadoc posted:

That sounds pretty good, otherwise they're useless for a long time before getting slaughtered because their mother decided to drag them into battle, into the middle of nowhere and get ambushed, or into the caves and die when they get blocked in.

You don't get Dwarf Fortress.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Moose King posted:

I think the two gate statues really speak to the two main stages of dwarf life. First you are a dwarf. Then you are murdered by a crazy swamp thing with a long, ridiculous name.

It's.. a.. circle...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
So much better than tedious turtle Dwarf Fortress LPs.

I eagerly await the bloody denouement!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
That was a great turn. Really the most fun I've had reading a DF LP in a long time. I'm with everyone else who says overly professional turtling in the face of danger is not nearly as entertaining as having things go south like this.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

tlarn posted:

And if your turn does end catastrophically and in such a way that even a veteran cannot recover the fortress, there's always the save from the previous overseer to roll back to.

That would be horrible.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ratoslov posted:

Boy, don't know what I would do without gremlin sweat. Nothing like starting your day by cracking open a can of nice, lukewarm gremlin sweat. Love that smell. Love it.

Some things in Dwarf Fortress are just too gross to be funny.

Like Durian.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I just hope the last overseer had the common decency to sprinkle access points all over the fort, so the next siege comes in without too much trouble.

Every overseer should be doing this. Hell, the guy running the LP should be doing this as prep work on the save before passing it along.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Os should be allowed to do this during every visit. A small price to pay for the freedom and safety of the fortress.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Spanish Matlock posted:

Were you born in prison after your father died in a horrible construction accident?

He said the only real differences already, are you just trying to bully him by bringing up what must be a truly horrible memory?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GrimRevenant posted:

Apparently this may be a "loyalty cascade". Not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds like Fun.

:psydwarf:

It is. Thus proving again that people who don't know DF backward and forward make the best overseers.

Any dwarf that kills a dwarf from the fort is listed as an enemy of the fort, and will be automatically attacked. The same thing happens to the dwarf that kills that dwarf, and so on, forever.

This term is awesome, I hope Ninjewtsu has more twists and turns for us.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pyroi posted:

We will further divide the fort into the following sections: elf, troll, dwarf, and spaceman. Elves will live on the surface, Trolls in the caves, Dwarves in the actual fortress, and spacemen on a platform suspended many z-levels above the ground.

Then, after a year or two, we let them mingle.

..by dropping the spaceman platform onto the elves.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

Not so confident in getting an update out tonight, some outside circumstances are making that a bit difficult

Trying to move Fogwall to the new version so you can start gelding dwarfs?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

Anyone who has ever aimed a punch at a fellow dwarf is infected

No, no, you have to kill. Dwarfs can get into fistfights and be fine.

I also think a hammerer can kill a man and be fine. Anyone know if that's the case?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Please let's try to avoid another 3 month term...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

StrangeAeon posted:

I wonder how long before everyone is vampires? :allears:

Given how quickly they're eating the non-vampires, I'd say about a month.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Well, this is a different kind of Dwarf Fortress LP.

A better kind.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dashticle posted:

Is there any chance you have a slightly earlier save,

You know, like, one where everyone isn't dead or a baby or a vampire or about to get eaten by a flesh-melting humanoid made of white chalcedony?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

symuun posted:

On the other hand, I think we're supposed to be trying to save the fortress this turn...

I've yet to see anything that suggests that.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Spanish Matlock posted:

A good DF LP needs cycles of death and rebirth.

This is the only LP I know of that's circled the drain like this. It's really great. Too bad the updates are so slow.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

I would be interested in knowing if my segregation riots or the forgotten beast you let into the fortress caused more deaths

Nietzschean posted:

To be honest the biggest cause of death on my turn was the vampires. The forgotten beast was merely a road bump.

That's the sign of a quality Dwarf Fortress LP right here.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dashticle posted:

What's a good option for making a .gif of a scene or whatever, I seem to remember someone posting some earlier?

LICEcap is really convenient.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nietzschean posted:

He has the single most terrifying weapon that it is possible to acquire, and is the single most powerful combatant available in fortress mode. He can take on a bronze colossus by himself and likely kill it in one or two swings; and, he will be able to single-handedly kill the rest of the militia if he ever goes on a rampage.

Sounds like something we need to test.

I like that the vampires took a blood toll for their service in the siege. If we just let one vampire macedwarf live among the non-vampires, then I think the resultant tax will be in line with services rendered.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Instead of Dwarf Fortress, this should be called Dwarf Corpses.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gridlocked posted:

Literally still a bigger achievement then I have ever made.

Rock on Dwarf me. May you not die accidentally to a raging baby dwarf.

Don't ever go to sleep and you'll be fine.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The answer to that question is always no.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BattleCattle posted:

Ask the captain of the guard for permission. We have procedures here, ya know.

Maybe for a common criminal, but for a villain like Gridlocked, I think we'd need the mayor to sign off on it, too.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gridlocked posted:

I, Griddlocked, mayor of Fogwall, dispenser of Justice and Hammerings, Captain of the Guard have once again spent the day guarding the prisoner and dispensing Justice as required. Today I punished him by looking in the mirror then headbutting him a few times. He is sore and thusly punished.

Hammerer hammer thyself.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it may be time to Good Job Good Effort this LP.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

There was a bridge here

It's gone now

Does that make it... a bridge to nowhere? Surely, Gridlocked must be informed of this Gridlocked's perfidy so that he can have Gridlocked exact the proper punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It's a good idea, we'll use Gridlocked as a bridge.

• Locked thread