Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

StrangeAeon posted:

Ground floor, hells yes. Bring on the loresplosion and madness!

Catsplosion or bust.

Also beware of Anvils in Trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

c/o captain_duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wd68MzT4I0

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RIP tables. We hardly knew ye.

The true horror of a fortress. Running out of booze.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Epee Em posted:

Given how child dwarves are typically undesired by those who sign up, would it be possible to basically consider them separately? Just looking at the spreadsheet, out of 234 sign-ups, only 7 specified wishing to be a child dwarf. 2.9%! By comparison, adult dwarves were specified for 114 out of the 234: 48%.

An idea comes to mind, based on the obvious situation of readers wanting to be assigned dwarves who will be doing things and won't take in-game years, quite possibly real-time months, to be notable. That being, this could help ameliorate the classic "aww, the dwarf list is super long, I'll never get in" issue a bit. Simply, children are not filled in during regular dwarf-naming via birth/migration. One has to specifically ask to be a child to be assigned a child dwarf. On one hand, this means that the list can progress slightly slower (migrations almost certainly will be outpacing birth rates in terms of population growth), but on the other it means that a prospective new participant can 'skip the line' by accepting the drawbacks of being dwarfed as a child.

Alternatively, due to how raws work, replacing [CHILD:12] with [CHILD:1] or something in the dwarf raw would mean that the fort would only need to wait 1 year for a newborn child (migrant children always arrive as at least age 2) to become an adult. Cheating? A little bit. Would it make things more streamlined? I think that'd be worth it. At the very least, growth hormone jokes. Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure if this would lead to actual rapid physical adulthood or just child labor/soldiers.

:v: As usual, mad science ends up my focus in these threads. This was such a benevolent idea until I realized that! Anything involving the [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] token is hilarious, semi-related.

What about the other 50% of people who don't care?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Intentional poor decision signup bere

Overseer me!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

I know we are not voting but if we were the honesty of this candidate has my vote.

In Bronzestabbed I was honestly surprised and amazed at the wonderful secret child meeting area.

And am sad that I can't come up with anything as wonderful yet. Though year 2 is generally forges and fortifications.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

and generally you aim for 800-1000 pix wide images. I am enjoying this overseership so far.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And our first death is coming soon. Autumn and a mood for a material the fort doesn'/t have.

RIP AC

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AfroSquirrel posted:

No, you see, the dwarf who built that bridge was a true visionary. By raising it when the elves are on it, you can fling them AWAY from the fortress! It'll keep them out, maybe rough them up a bit, and it will be a good show for the youngsters to see them soaring through the air.

It would be slightly more effective if there was a dug out section beneath it, however. since, in its present form, it doesn't exactly keep the Goblins out.

the lives of dwarves are short and brutal.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rather Watch Them posted:

Oh man, good thing my dwarf isn't around. He'd drink himself to death over that.

I'm never going to see my dwarf, am I? :ohdear:

Nonsense. There's 3 fresh beds just made available last update.

Assuming the Goblins don't slaughter everyone, and the siege is willing to self-lift again, the next wave or two of migrants should be extra healthy.

Of course, the front gate not working may hinder that slightly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Air is lava! posted:

Now would be a perfect time for Kafit to appear. I really like this turn of events, as it makes the LP somewhat more interesting. In my oppinion Bronzestabbed was just way to professional. Too bad LeJackal died though. He really managed to mix a few things up back then.

did you not see the holes in fortifications...

or the Balista batteries (plural).

Also, I put in more than one bridge I had to rip down because it opened the wrong way. I just never got sieged while I was correcting it.
I have every faith in the Overseer's ability to lead us to ruin.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chose the future

Chose Me!

I wonder if you can rig balista up to switches...

Well, you can train carts if we can find any forgable ore.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Seyser Koze posted:

I was just asking from a mechanics standpoint, I've never actually played the game.

I should apply for overseer.

Competence is optional when it comes to DF LPs. And you can at least ask the OP on how to do specific things if you're struggling.

while competent overseers can make amazing projects happen on purpose, incompetent ones can create drama entirely on their own. :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aw yeah. Time to entomb some dwarves.

Who knows, they might even be dead when I do it!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hubriswall - On the fortress Fogwall and the Overseership of Veloxyll

1st Granite, 552

By now you have read of the failure of the defense at Fogwall, and the desperation that lead to dwarves and cage traps being thrown at the goblin intruders. But what happened after Overseer symuun stepped down from leadership during the siege?

Records show that the next Overseer of the Fortress was a dwarf named Veloxyll, but records show they were not present in the fortress when the siege took place. Nevertheless, orders were issued, perhaps via the same secret ways that a Baron knows of his enoblement despite not being told. Who can say.

Regardless, at the start of Granite, the fortress was being besieged by two goblins, both who stood firm in the cage hall amidst the ichor and corpses of many dwarves. Their fellow assailants rattled their cages, but the goblins stood immobile, unwilling to budge, perhaps out of fear of setting off more traps and becoming caged themselves.
Or perhaps because goblins are arseholes.

How can two goblins besiege a fortress, you ask? Well, the military of Fogwall was a sorry sight. A hospitalised baron, and a lone recruit who quickly found himself Militia Commander.

Though it is a civilian, Tresdim, who strikes the next 'blow' for the fortress. Running towards the goblins, taunting them, then running back over the cunningly placed traps, babe in arms, she causes another of the besiegers to lose their freedom. One goblin remains.

Was it bravery, or madness? Vander felt dirty, and decided that the path to cleanliness was held in the last goblin's possession. Or perhaps simply wished to clean the fortress of the Goblin Filth.
That, or she succumbed to the taunting of one of the Fort's young:

Jon Joe posted:

If only I was an adult, I could have killed all those goblins with my bare hands!

Ah who am I kidding, I would have died horribly. Long live the young!

As you might expect, when an unequipped rookie faces off against a well equipped invader, there is only one outcome.

scamtank tries to bait out the other goblin, but gets too close and pays the price.

The goblin eventually cannot stand to be around the death and cage traps, and leaves.
No grand battle or new dwarven cunning. it gets bored/horrified, and LEAVES OF ITS OWN ACCORD.
Just as our miners approach to cut a path to the next trap. But, nevertheless, the Siege of Fogwall is over.
To be fair, there is a LOT of death to leave behind.

The siege lead symuun to the horrible task of forbidding the corpses of the fallen, and progress is made to bring things back to something resembling normality. (Actually I think DFhack was doing it, but whatevs)

Even after the siege lifts, not everyone can handle the stress...
Or being dead.

Which means it's time for promotions! Congratulations to our new Expedition Leader, Grey Hunter.

For his new promotion, the manager has a discussion with him. Uh. This is awkward.

Oh god, he's asleep too! Something needs to be done.

Apparently being repeatedly hit in the head while asleep is upsetting.

Thankfully, his dwarven sense kicks in before another dwarf dies.

Grey Hunter responds in a natural fashion. This could take a while to sort out. Especially considering there are still crazy dwarfs running around.

To take everyone's mind off it, and give them something to do besides hauling corpses and making coffins, we take some time to designate some new excavations.
Near the workshops and forges, we designate space for stone, ore, and bars cut.

In the upper depths, tunnels are designated to scout out the Tetrahedrite deposits. While I cannot recall the metals it smelts into, even these initial cuts should net the fortress a good 20 ore to be smelted, so we'll know soon enough. (I want to say it's Tin or copper/silver. Maybe Zinc. I could check the wiki, but I'll know next month anyhow.)

Deeper down, we also order some of the Malachite tapped, as well as expanding the So we definitely have copper. Which means armour, weapons, everything can be made from proper metals. It's no iron, but it's better than nothing.

As a last task for the month, the Goblins are removed from the fortress. We don't need their kind reminding us of the siege. They can sit in the sun until it kills them. Or whatever it is that the sun does. Maybe we'll set some hives up near them later and see if the bees can make them puff up like balloons for the enjoyment of visitors.

1 Slate, 552

(OOC: not that worried about a Tantrum spiral. As time passes we'll get the corpses interred and fortress life will return to practically normal. Until the next siege at least. Almost no-one is getting horrified in the traphall any more! Also probably should've waited till morning so I could edit this and stuff (like consistency of voice), but gently caress it! It's late and I'm lazy :p)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vander posted:

So did I die, or did I just get horribly maimed?

You died. I just didn't think till now to include the pink notice.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dashticle posted:

Hope I'm getting some nice suturing done on Fogwall's finest, and didn't just get killed off-screen by getting my neck broken in a fistfight or something.

I'm pretty sure you got promoted to chief medical dwarf, actually. Since the previous holder decided to hug a goblin. I'm doing a labour pass on the fortress this update, to make sure we have brewers, masons, carpenters etc. Though I may just wait for the migrants, who hopefully didn't get scared off by the 1 goblin siege. There's a lot of hauling to be done regardless, so dwarves are busy anyhow.

Only 2 dead and 1 insane in my first month. A good start!

symuun posted:

Ghosts can pull levers?

You, uh, you should probably do something about the healthcare superweapon sooner rather than later. I'd do literally anything with it other than maintain the status quo, if I were you.

You forget the most important rule of overseeing. Half built death traps are FUN (tm)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

While I work on the update - can we get the current status of applicant dwarves on the spread sheet? It'd make figuring out who is next on the list easier.

My current estimates show, before the update we have:-

Next Male: Loskel McDungen (Locke Dunnegan)
Next Dwarf: Tyty

HAHA, SUCK IT, POWER ABUSE! I GET THE NEXT DWARF.

Also dang it, while writing this, I changed the font size in the unit list >: (
And maybe the entire aspect ratio. so when I do the next update I'll have to ask if it's just me or if I made it weird. Still quite screencappable though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Of Dwarves and Labour

As the fortress recovered, at least its dead, if not its sanity, thoughts turned to what dwarves should focus on for the rest of the season.

Especially since the fallen were in the stage of decay where they stink.

Grey Hunter goes to have a meeting with Tresdin. And by meeting I mean punching her in the stomach. Must be some weird dwarven humour.

Twice.

Several days later, velkest collapses in the hallway of dehydration. An unfulfilled mood is as deadly as any Goblin.

With the slow progress of Dwarven Masons crafting coffins for the fallen, Daeren is put to rest. He haunts the stockpiles no longer.

But it's not all doom and gloom for the fortress. First Neophyte, then atomicthumbs give birth to children.

Neophyte gives birth to the girl, Tyty. A name she blames entirely on the deceased King Cohort.
atomicthumbs gives birth to Loskel McDungen. Another child of another dead warrior.

Tyty

Loskel McDungen.

Our healers make progress treating the wounded, as well. And the Well itself proceeds nicely. Tinkertoy has diagnosed both of them, and assigned treatments for their wounds. Once we have cloth and thread, they should be easily healed.

This should be made much easier as, on the 19th of Slate, a wave of 30 migrants arrives, more than doubling Fogwall's populace. Tropico is now home to over 50 People Dwarves!
The specifics of the arrivals is detailed hence, but the short version is that the following dwarves (presented in no particular order) join the populace. They are:
Veloxyll, Ragnar Lodbrok, Windy Skunk, Idles, Turtlicious McJagger, Jamsque, Potato, Toplough, Dourgrim, OrganGrinder, Anticheese, SilentW, Commoners, Excelzior, Mlle, Rather, Nuramor, sum, Gamer, Boing, Zarah, Fat And Useless, Elswyyr, Aerion, Koushirou, reign, Mister Adequate, Yeol, Splode, Rhames.

With extra hands, walls to make the Hubris bridge an effective defense are ordered.

Baby lunnrais jumps out at tinkerttoy. Though tinkerttoy pretends not to notice.

Thankfully, a new coffin has just been placed, so he won't be haunting us for too long. Last thing the fortress needs is ghosts spooking everyone.

Also, since we have ALL those migrants, we can put together a proper military! 10 dwarves are assigned to the fortress's defense corps. That's half the populace from before we swapped Overseers! Who knows, maybe some day they'll actually be competent.

Speaking of competence, Fogwall has grown enough that it is no longer administrated by an Expedition Leader, but by a mayor. reading gets to be the first elected official, to go with his work as manager, bookkeeper, and broker. As an elected official, his first command is to get a room as good as Baron Le_Squide. Bureaucracy. Bureaucracy never changes.

In other news, the masons haven't QUITE gotten up to enough speed to stop the fallen haunting the fortress yet...Mr Showtime thus gets the next available coffin. Fear not, friends. You will all get a bed before I'm done here.

As we dig deeper, we find another ore worthy of investigation. Even if it will take some tunneling to get to. One of the children is now old enough to work, and is sent to the stills to get the most valuable of all dwarven commodities...Booze! Though some Casserite would be handy to find. Then we'd have Bisimuth Bronze at our command, ah, a dwarf can dream.

Speaking of booze, checking on the hospital, I see our patients are up and about. As evidence of their hale state, they make a bee line straight for the drink stores. A sensible choice if ever there was one.

Just before summer arrives, we get a mix of news, good and bad. DannyGlands leaves the fortress, but a new boy, More Grim, joins it.

Grey Hunter, now freed from the duties of Expedition Leader, feels this is cause for celebration.

As a last note, I accidentally test the fortress wall. By forgetting to lower the drawbridge so that Dwarves can complete the fortifications. Thankfully it's easily fixed.

ninjewtsu celebrates by giving birth. AfroSquirrel joins our ranks.

And with that, Summer is upon us.

Administration:
Oh god, so many names and labours to assign! At least I'm caught up on the spreadsheet so the next migrant wave won't be so grueling.

scamtank posted:

You just zoomed in with the scroll wheel or made the window too tiny.

Ta. thankfully it only really affects the Migrant post that will be after this one.

New dwarfs:
Tyty - Baby Girl
Loskel McDungen - Baby Boy
More Grim - Baby Boy
Afrosquirrel - Baby Boy

Migrants:
Veloxyll
Ragnar Lodbrok
Windy Skunk
Idles
Turtlicious McJagger
Jamsque
Potato
Toplough
Dourgrim
OrganGrinder
Anticheese
SilentW
Commoners
Excelzior
Mlle
Rather
Nuramor
sum
Gamer
Boing
Zarah
Fat And Useless
Elswyyr
Aerion
Koushirou
reign
Mister Adequate
Yeol
Splode
Rhames

next Male Adult: ghetto wormhole
Next Dwarf: Five

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The First Grand Migration
25-55 dwarves in one go. That is a lot of dwarves to induct!

In the spring of 552, the following dwarves joined Fogwall.

sum, Fisherdwarf and Beekeeper. Married to:

SilentW, Medical Dwarf. Parents of:

Rather, Child, and:

Gamer. Peasant and wife to:

Myself, Veloxyll. Woodcutter, Bonecarver, and, of course, Overseer. We ourselves are parents to:

reign, and the deceased Elth, who died protecting Fogwall.

Aerion, Engraver, herbalist, brewer.

Splode. Spinner.

Excelzior. Weaver and mechanic. Husband to:

Elswyyr, Military dwarf. Parents of:

Nuramor. Child.

Turtilicious McJagger. Woodcutter.

Jamsque. Son of Mr Showtime (deceased) and Dashticle. Mason.

Potato. Hunter, Husband of:

Zarah. Military dwarf.

Ragnar Lodbrok, Military dwarf (viking).

Commoners. Military dwarf. Husband of:

Yeol. Military dwarf. Parents to:

Rhames. Child, and:

Mlle. Military Dwarf. Wife of:

Toplough. Farmer and cook.

Boing. Medical Dwarf. Wife of:

Windy Skunk. Cook, brewer, dyer. Parents of:

Mister Adequate. Child. And:

Koushirou. Baby.

Fat and Useless. Military Dwarf. Wife to:

Idles. Blacksmith.

Dourgrim. Military Dwarf. Mother of:

Anticheese. Child.

OrganGrinder. Fisherdwarf and Furnace Operator.

What a lot of new additions we have.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Espilae posted:

Am I still alive? Not much of us original seven left, right? Farmin' away, probably. I'll do a journal if so, I gots ideas :frog:

I think so.
I almost forgot to report Danny's unfortunate demise, and just realised I missed a little dilemma relating to getting drinks for the patients and tactical conscription of the military, but I'm 99% sure I haven't missed a death. I'll check when I'm back in front of my Fortresscomputer.
Edit: Yup. still farming and brewing.

Oh drat. And thought of another thing I forgot about. farn army of migrants making the update take all day! I'll have to throw together a supplemental update tomorrow evening.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 26, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

symuun posted:

From the journal of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

It were me greatest fear, so 'twere. A bridgedoor what works too well.

Alternate subtitles for this image included:
When I named it Hubris gate, I didn't expect to be the one experiencing anything of the kind myself.

Hubris Gate: The lesson that keeps on teaching.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AfroSquirrel posted:

I know I'm just an infant, but could you post my description as well?

whoops, thought I did. I'll add it into the post, as well as putting it here.

And yeah, feel free to ask if you want more info on what your dwarf is up to. Or where they're buried. :p it gives me something to check up on during the slow parts of an update.

Fat and Useless posted:

Fat and Useless

Corpulent

Military Dwarf - Quick to tire and slow to heal

I thank you for this good laugh Veloxyll.

Ahaha. I didn't even look. I just found someone who didn't have many labours assigned and added them.
That, or I added you because it'll be funny when we get a legendary Military Dwarf called Fat And Useless (I have no idea what weapon you have actually picked up at this point). I assure you that corpulent and quick to tire were ENTIRELY accidental.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Of proper application of Military units during peacetime, and wildlife.

An Overseer faces many problems during their terms. From ill conceived defensive mechanisms, to sieges and tantrum spirals.

As well, there are the inevitable shortages of supplies. So what is an overseer to do?

Why, throw the military at the problem, of course. Fortresses often run militaries of 20-30 dwarves. While they are often of a low skill compared to dedicated
craftsmen, if an overseer needs to quickly complete a production run, they can be helped along by conscripting the soldiery into the role.

This time, the fortress actually managed to make enough cloth to complete treatment so the buckets were ultimately less necessary than they might otherwise have been. But the method is sound.

Whether the doctoring is sound, is an entirely separate issue.

Still, little by little the hospital is getting supplied. All we need now is some soap. I wonder if we have anyone handy...

Also outside wildlife that is 10 floors deep within the fortress. Just because.

Gridlocked posted:

It's the accidental stuff that is the best.

Quote often, yeah. Dwarf Fortress is a weird and wonderful event generator.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ah, then I don't have a shot of her as high as she got. She was at the workshop levels at one point.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Summer outside the sun
A fortress is equal parts preventing problems from occurring, solving problems that have occured, and fixing the previous fixes.

Workshop areas, for example, need a healthy supply of spare sites for future demands. And to provide spares in the event of moody dwarves.

A problem we perhaps cannot fix right now is that our entry hall is kinda gross. And I don't just mean the blood everywhere. I mean. SAND walls. Disgusting. Why, if I had some spare pick axes I'd remodel the whole setup. Maybe next season.

Our Mayor flexes his gubenatorial muscles. I think we can manage this one.

Our Baron gets in on the act. Sorry, WAR baron. I guess he's feeling a bit draftee.

Terrible news! Our dwarves can no longer get plastered. Our traders will have to keep an eye out for Gypsium. We are also slowly working on getting soap production going, but that may require our animal raising gets a bit more developed.

Maybe the humans have some. It is good to meet some non-dwarves who don't want to kill us. And are not elves, so we don't want to kill them EITHER. This is what we call a win win.

They arrive without incident. Look, we even cleaned up the blood! We're such good hosts.

Potato is so worn out, so they sleep outside the fortress, for some reason. I actually checked the register, and they have a room and everything.
What are you doing with that Goblin, Potato. Though, that DOES give me an idea...

Satisfied that reading hasn't destroyed the fortress in one month, reading is re-elected mayor. Grey Hunter's zero-tolerence policy towards unhappiness just doesn't seem to resonate with voters.

Also, the secret behind the Humans' continued existence may be their use of serpentmen in trading negotiations.

We sell some food, crafts, old clothes for cloth, leather, and a few weapons. As well as booze of course. Dwarves have NEEDS. Regardless, we should have sufficient goods to avoid any bad moods occuring for the next few seasons.

Meanwhile, in the deeps, our Trapper, awake from his nap, solves the Elk Bird issue.

Things are quiet for a while. Well, quiet for a fortress. There's still mining and workshopping going on. And our smelters still want for more ores. Jon Joe takes his first steps.

In the deeps, we find well. A lot of things. We won't want for new areas to explore for our miners, at least. This inspires Ragnar Lodbrok to get a bit crafty.

Zore and tak also become children.

Since our smelters are at least complaining about ores, if not actually smelting it, I order some basic protective equipment for our soldiers.

The human merchants leave, and I order some exploratory mining done around the newly found Galena. With luck, it'll be done before winter!

Though the stockpile digs make me somewhat skeptical.

They don't discourage more migrants though! Welcome: ghetto wormhole, Quatrefoil, Caro, broken box, Drakenel, GoldenPrice, Pitsburg Lambi, Geokinesis, Spanish Matlock, Peas, and Green Intern.

Ragnar now has everything he needs to get to work.

While the crafting goes well, hauling appears a little bit behind schedule.

Also, just below the food stockpile, I order a new room dug out. Space hadn't really been laid out to make a legendary dining hall. So this should at least give us a place to start. Because our miners clearly didn't have enough to do already!

Someone spots a gremlin in the works! or deeps. When the militia shows up to try and chase it off, it vanishes to parts unknown.

The new dining room may have to put up with clay walls on one end. I'm unsure if they can be smoothed and engraved like the stone that makes up the majority of the room.

I also commission a new noblesquad. This squad is a crossbow squad. I could've filled the shell that is MechanicalComplexity, but having a captain of the guard sounds more official.

I really must catch up on Noble accommodations.

Ragnar has completed his grand work, at least. A siltstone bracelet. It menaces all who doubt it.

Tresdin births a new boy, 100 HOGS AGREE, to swell the numbers in the fort.

As the season winds to a close, we discover ilmenite in the walls of the new dining hall, and Green Intern celebrates his first birthday.

The human ambassador finally catches up with our Baron too.

New arrivals - and jobs.
Ghetto wormhole - Military
Caro - Military
Geokinesis - Miliatry
broken box - military
Drakenel - military
GoldenPrice - Carpenter
Pittsburg Lambi - Animal Trainer/Smelter
Quatrefoil - Miner
Spanish Matlock - Smith
Peas - Baby
Green Intern - Baby

100 HOGS AGREE - Baby

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A reasonably sized migrant wave

The arrivals in the summer of 552 numbered only 11. Herein lie their names.

Drakenel, Military dwarf and wife of:

Pittsburg Lambi. Animal Trainer and Smelter. Parents of:

Green Intern - Baby

And GoldenPrice, Carpenter. Wife of:

Quatrefoil, Miner.

ghetto wormhole, Captain of the Guard.

Caro, Military dwarf.

SpanishMatlock, smith, husband of:

broken box, Military dwarf. Parents of:

Peas - Baby.

And Geokinesis, Military Dwarf

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

with the entry hall, it's more that you can't smooth and engrave a sand wall. So you don't get quite as good a "admired a nice/legendary" carving while they walk through it. The clay may also make the dining hall not able to quite hit legendary status, which means it isn't as good for the common dwarf.

It's not BAD. just. Not as good.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PotatoManJack posted:

Oooh - shiny bracelet - you now have a dwarf who can make you a whole bunch of trade fodder.

How much was that silstone bracelet worth? Also, is there any way it can be hung up in the legendary dining hall or something?

Another dwarf who can. And yeah. I think I can put it in a glass case or some such.

As for noble quarters. they're proving a little more...interesting. Partly because our Masons and engravers aren't quite as skilled as our craftsdwarves. Partly because of OTHER reasons.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Walked through the door and got promoted on the spot to Captain of the Guard awww yeah :smug:

well yeah. Everyone previously skilled with the crossbow was dead.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PurpleXVI posted:

So did Os' cult dedicated to his own worship ever gain any more followers? Or is he basically sitting around in the evenings worshipping himself all alone? Because that sounds like the saddest thing.

Os the Narccistic. Loving all the Os fanfic :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Friends and enemies in the depths.
Limestone, 552

Now that the Human's Snakeman Vampire Lawgiver has caught our baron, we should see what he wants to talk about, I suppose.

News. Oh. You mean he's run around our fort for 3 months to tell us that The Still Buck and Wraith of Clutching are on the warpath. That's awfully dedicated of you.
Well, that or he was hiding in our Fort for a few safe months. Regardless, he's on his way now.

Peas is also on his way, now able to run around the digs on his own.

Speaking of running around. His name is Gorlak. That's all we know. He walked out the front gate and was never seen again.

Well, he might've been, but no sooner have the humans left than REAL traders arrive. It's slightly a shame that we've so recently traded with the humans. But hopefully we'll be able to find a few items to trade.

While we moved goods to the trade depot, Le_Squidie ordered some doors. Maybe to keep the Snakemen out?

It doesn't stop more Migrants from arriving, at any rate. Welcome Camoes, Eclectic Tastes, Neurosis Pinche, Jimmy4400nav, Captain_Duck, Illest Khan, Geri Khan necrotic.

We buy a bunch of animals. and, ew!

Most importantly, we resupply the hospital.

The fortress liason reports that the Wraith of Clutching continues their campaign, while we order beers, ores, and a few animals the fortress lacks.

Our marksdwarf squad also gets an archery range set up.

Work orders get completed, and one of our Carpenters gets so caught up in his work, he forgets to drink. Most peculiar. The names of the others are lost to history.

As our friends leave for another year, I can see why they call it a wagon train.

In preparation for expanding the fortifications, we designate two stone stockpiles to be fed so our Masons can easily access building materials. Who knows, if we are not besieged this winter, we might even be able to protect our livestock.

Trundel gets all the chicks. Since we have multiple boars, several are marked for slaughter. Fresh meat for the fortress. Hopefully next trade season we can purchase some breeding pairs to keep us properly supplied.

I may have slightly overdone the work orders. But it will be good to make new clothes in the fortress.

Le_Squidie fears we will need siege weapons to protect ourselves.

Of course, siege workshops are significantly larger than other workshops. It is especially concerning when Grey Hunter reports that some of the stone is damp. Fortunately, it still fits.

Despite completing many other tasks, no-one thinks to move StrangeAeon's body.

Our chief medical dwarf is horrified. One assumes by the rowdyness of celebrating dwarves. Also Koushirou walks on their own.

Oh. the trap hall. I thought we were past that sort of thing now.

Our dwarves continue to be inspired.

Wait what. It hasn't even been a day since you claimed the workshop! Normally these things take forever to assemble materials for.

Meanwhile, the Gremlin Stair gets another visitor. All militarydwarves are called to greet it.

Captain_Duck is first on the scene. And makes short work of it.

Submat gives birth to a girl, SimianNinja.

The walls in the new dining room have now been cut back. Once the stone next to them is smoothed and engraved, walls will be constructed to complete the dining room. Then it's just a matter of placing the furniture.

The particulars of moods always perplexes.

Placing a Platinum statue in each Noble's room seems to have satisfied them with reguards to the quality of their accommodations.

Unfortunately, this just seems to encourage them.
well, Winter won't be dull, at least.

It is also time, as winter sets in, to look into the establishment of a Dwarven Bee Industry.

Administration:

Gridlocked posted:

Is it fanfic though? It sounds like some slightly fluffed expansion on the characters randomly generated in-game history. Which makes it even more badass.

Eh, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

Births, Deaths:
SimianNinja - Baby
StrangeAeon - Died.

Migrants the last:

Camoes - Military
Eclectic Tastes - Child
Neurosis Pinche - Peasant
Jimmy4400nav - Carpenter and Mason
Captain_Duck - Military Dwarf (hammer)
Illest Khan - Medical dwarf
Geri Khan - Tanner, beekeeper
necrotic - butcher

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

On the Third Migrant Wave under Overseer Veloxyll of Fogwall.

Only 8 migrants arrived in the last wave. But this still puts the fortress at over 60 capable dwarves.

Jummy4400nav. Carpenter, Mason. Wife of:

Camoes, Marksdwarf.

Geri Khan, Tanner and Beekeeper

necrotic, butcher.

Neurosis Pinche, peasant

Illest Khan. Medical Dwarf.

Captain_Duck, Military Dwarf. Mother of:

Eclectic Tastes. Child.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 1, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wait, really :O Though the Miasma flowed through it just fine.

I'm gonna have to check that. At least it'd explain why he kept complaining he had no logs...

All I see in game is dense floor Fungus. I'll order a vertical set of connections opened anyhow, just in case.

Oh. The wall from the workshop itself. I forgot that was even a thing.

Dwarf Fortress: that's how it gets you, And dwarves.

For those still wondering where the wall is (I actually took a minute to figure it out even once I'd read there was a wall in his way)

Those white blocks are impassable walls. The workshop to the north is maybe accessable around them via the diagonal. Our crossbow maker though, was trapped as soon as the workshop was built.

So yeah, uh, mistakes were made. RIP.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 30, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PurpleXVI posted:

Fogwall's particular curse seems to be administrators lacking in the finer points of architecture. Can't wait to see what happens when they embark on larger mechanisms and fortifications!

Dwarf Fortress is a complex beast at the best of times. These things happen!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pittsburg Lambi had the same problem. cut off the C. when it does I even try re-entering them because my fingers have betrayed me before.

All dwarves are fated to suffer gruesome death. Some of them will be at the hands of the enemies of the Fort. Others by the Incompetence of the Overseers!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Satiation of Nobles and the Challenges of Hunting.

The Cold Months.

Digs were quickly assigned for the accommodation of mining. Darth Various et al quickly carved out space for us to house these bloody menaces noble personages.

Meanwhile the new dining room, and works to hide the clay behind good dwarven stone continue well.

Any suggestion of Deathtrap workshops is a filthy elven lie, all workshops are accessible from multiple entrances.

The new nobles experiment with banning things.

As for myself, well. The fortress is well supplied with slain tree, so I take up the mining pick and now consider myself at least as good at parting the stone as murdering the vile tree.

Le_Squidie shows the new guys how it's done. Given that it is winter regardless, I am not concerned.

Potato, meanwhile, is very concerned when he runs out of bolts.

This leads to the Elk Birds invading the residential level. they do not seem particularly belligerent, thus I allow the militia to continue their training.

I also expand the bee industry.

Not that the rest of our industry is idle during the wintery months. A fortress always needs more goods.

With the new quarters stone smoothed, our engravers begin the more delicate task of etching imagery across the walls, so that the Nobles will not forget the stories of Fogwall.

The military, meanwhile, is given the month of Opal off. This has nothing to do with the Marksdwarves being competent hunters at all. Nor a third Elk Bird on the residential level.

Our Armour crafting bears fruit. While Bronze, Iron, or Steel would provide better protection, it is still reassuring to see our soldiers clad in proper armour.

Darth Various, Grey Hunter, Aerion, and necrotic complete the engraving in the first new room. It is now ready to be furnished. The Elk bird watches.

We also have a good stock of copper bars, and stone blocks. Potato claims they are comfortable to sleep on. I suspect he just doesn't want to face the Elk Birds he led into the fort.

The new rooms are furnished. Though we have exhausted the Fortress's supply of doors.

The engraving in the new dining room is also complete, so we can complete the walls.

As well, we are able to order some soap made, so we can get rid of some of the stains upon the fortress floors.

On the 19th of Opal, Boing gives birth to Duckaerobics.

Later that day sum gives birth to Chunkter.

Then Fat And Useless follows suit, bringing Hutter Huttersson to Fogwall.

THEN YEOL bears Impy, late that night/early the next morning.

Haha, you thought we were done. Elswyyr contradicts you. Say hallo to Saturnine.

Zarah joins the mother train. Hi Rulebook Heavily. Don't mind the pile of hastily carved birth tablets!

This is what giving people time off does to the place!

Illest Khan tires of waiting, and hauls her own Platinum statue to her room.

Perhaps the Elk Birds aren't ALL Potato's fault... I order the door locked and decide to leave it for the next Overseer. it is late in the winter now, and the beast is a long way south east of the only stair.

Gugo has other ideas, and ascends the stairwell. There is no option. I call the Militia to face the beast.

Neophyte is first on the scene, bringing Tyty to see the beast defeated. Quickly the militia assembles. But bravely, or foolishly, the civilian atomicthumbs, Loskel in arms, walks blithely towards the beast. The militia is ordered to charge, even though crossbow support has not arrived yet.

Meanwhile, Potato has finally found some bolts and is battling one of the Elk Birds. Perhaps for moral support?

The militia is able to easily land blows on the skinless horror-pig. And our investment in equipment helps the militia keep the upper hand.

And quickly surround the beast.

The battle does not all go our way though. In the melee, Mlle is bitten by the beast.

It inflicts a terrible wound.

Of course, Potato takes this moment to inform us he's out of ammunition, as a pair of crossbow dwarves join the fray.

The creature falls, inflicting no further wounds. Mlle doesn't even see the need to visit the doctors. Stotically going about her duties despite her injuries.

Zarah, meanwhile, cleans up Potato's leftovers in the residential area.

While Splode claims the killing blow on Gugo.

As Obsidian draws to a close, Gamer gives birth to a boy, Lawman0. Hopefully that bolt order will shoosh Potato, too. But I doubt it.

Our nobles are sated though, besides wishing for higher quality post-dwarfous accommodations. Finishing the smoothing in the Noble tombs will probably solve that though.

Potato continues to be the worst hunter. THREE MONTHS THOSE drat BIRDS RAN AROUND THE SLEEPING QUARTERS.

The season turns, and I relinquish the title of Overseer.

Our hospital is now equipped with at least some of everything, though we could use more soap. And tables and a traction bench.

The dining room is basically ready to be engraved.

We have a good supply of livestock. Though we still need breeding pairs. We also have bees coming along, and stones ready to start work on fortification walls. As well as a number of tree corpses to feed the furnaces.

Ores and stone are in good supply. though our Cloth and Silk supplies are low, we still (probably) have a fair supply of yarn. And leather.

Our workshops are humming along nicely. I'd say there's 1-2 months tops of in progress work orders at them. Orewise we have Galena, Tetrahedite, Platinum, and Malachite. So copper equipment and Silver, Zinc, or Platinum arts.

Finally, we've got a few spare beds in the cemetery at the moment should dwarves meet unfortunate ends.

Administration:
OH GOD SO MANY BABIES.
Duckaerobics.
Chunkter.
Hutter Huttersson
Impy
Saturnine
Rulebook Heavily
Lawman0

The next Male Adult is #98, Zarwell. And the next otherwise is #114 or so. Up to you if you want to heed their requests, or just throw names on anyone.

Save is Here
Please don't get us all killed.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 1, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PurpleXVI posted:

Well drat, that was a surprisingly easily killed forgotten beast.

Also this game is educational, I didn't even know what the hell a quern was before a noble banned it. Maybe we can rebrand Dwarf Fortress as edutainment.

The fortress even HAS a Quern! and a Screw Press. No dwarves even DIED making it.

Sometimes it's nice to have a relatively quiet year.

I was tempted to just put the birth chain down and just say: "This happened."
Instead I went with my actual reaction at the time.

So of COURSE the militia would have to face a Forgotten Beast while half the melee dwarves had babies on them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eh, guess I should've made Platinum maces and hammers. Ah well. we have good supplies of ore for the next Overseer anyhow.

Shame Lead and Zinc can't be used for smooshing weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

symuun posted:

I think the general rule is that Overseers can dwarf themselves as soon as a suitable avatar shows up. You totally could do a year in third person, though. I went on a DF LP binge not long ago, and some of the very best contributions have been done that way. Pozzo's turn at Syrupleaf, nvining's turn at Bronzestabbed, Jazzimus Prime's year at Gemclod. Probably others I've forgotten.

(And incidentally, why the hell do I remember any of this stuff at all, rather than useful things like real people's names or how to spell "Caribbean"?)

shameless power abuse is just one of the perks of Overseership.

• Locked thread