Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
OP, am I wrong or was it yourself who started the Grandmirrors(or something) DF LP a while ago? The delay here isn't by any chance you trying to mine out a massive intricate forge level one z above the magma sea, as a a result having to spend ages unpausing and redesignating dig spots as the dwarves cancel due to warm stone...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Ok screw it I'm in.

On the one hand I'm flying home tomorrow so might not see the thread til tomorrow night, on the other it's the last week of freedom before college/work starts again so why not make the most of it by trying to manage an anthill of wee computerised sociopaths.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
First years are generally boring... just from poking around the save I reckon that things are have potential to get very interesting very quickly.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
RIP Animals, you never even had the chance to slowly starve to death while ignored by all.

Danny Glands posted:

How weird is it that the first year bugs actually happened at the start of the second year?

I don't think it's a bug really, just a symptom of the new 'living world'. Goblin civs are now coded not to send squads instead of theives in the first year, but will do so straight after.

Anyway, there's a much more efficient way of dealing with these Goblins than serrated glass disks, and from the update it seems like our Overseer is onto it.

Also, I know I've invested too much in this game when I cringed at the thought of our starting Miners being marched out the door to fight a full squad of gobbos.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I'm reading on a tiny screen and really broken tables are not that big of a deal. It takes like two button presses to view the bit you can't see in the images, and it's only a single post every two days or so. The posts look and read better with the images not timg'd. Sorry fellow people with small monitors, you should just get over it. :shrug:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yeah, if not the dwarves being on duty it's probably due to the axe being flagged as needed for a military dwarf or something. Try setting the squad to inactive, and make sure they're not assigned to train in a barracks or anything at the moment. Or if that still doesn't do it, disband it (again :/).

e: Spoilered for those not wishing to know about gamey exploits Dwarves can cut down trees with wooden training axes somehow, probably relishing the tree-on-tree violence. Once you get the first tree down, you can make a bunch of axes with it without having to go looking for weapons grade metals.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 18, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

This is a poorly-crafted discarded envelope scribble of a platinum statue. All linesmanship is of the most wobbly quality. It menaces with rings of hasty sketching. On the scribble is an image of a Kafit Rootwaxed the Lustful Rawnesses of Nature the marsh titan and Zon Metboats. The dwarf Zon Metboats is completely phoned in at the end.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 19, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
My first Dwarfing! Weak, quick to tire and very flimsy. Quite the catch you've got here, Mrs. 'Mr. Showtime'. Well, hopefully I can suture a great work of art some day.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 19, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Alavaria posted:

Wait a second, surely you mean "Kafit Rootwaxed the Lustful Rawnesses of Nature the marsh titan"

Yes. :argh:

Fixed for posterity, I was literally running out the door to an orientation course, and all I could think of (apart from my awful scratchy sketch lines that I wasn't gonna fix) was that I didn't have time to open his description again and write his full title word-for-word, thus ruining the authenticity of the parody. :(

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I can suture a new future!

This has been great so far. Looking forward to poking around the save later.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Hope I'm getting some nice suturing done on Fogwall's finest, and didn't just get killed off-screen by getting my neck broken in a fistfight or something.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yes, Elk birds can really ruin a dwarves day if they come up against them unarmed. The fuckers are fast too which can result in some hilarious and quite bloody Benny-Hill style chases through the fortress, pursued by a heavily armoured melee squad.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Are they actually aggressive though?

Last time I saw one in my fortress yes, but this was a) many versions ago and b) might have been provoked by being attacked by a hunter or something.

It definitely left a big mess, and was followed by a bunch more (I knew much less about the game and couldn't figure out how to seal the stairwell they were coming in.)

e: Pretty sure they're about the same as alligators etc. They attack dwarves but don't aggressively try and path into the foretress or whatever.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 26, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Alright! Third time's the charm... I'm in!

Potato Jones posted:

Mlle snubbed me when I waved to her in the halls. Hmph, rude.

:smugmrgw:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Veloxyll posted:

shameless power abuse is just one of the perks of Overseership.

Kind of hoping Grey Hunter gets it this time just to see if the dwarves of people who were policing his spelling earlier have any unfortunate meetings with some high velocity lead bars or assigned to mining out the magma level or something

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Mistakes were made. Rings were exported. Zarah is not the broker so I don't know why she gets locked up. Ask Le_Squid.

I think dwarven justice blames the sap who hauled the ring to the depot. I mean, just because it was probably one ring in a bin buried under 500 dwardpounds of *siltstone amulets* is no excuse.

I guess being drained of all blood in your sleep is a pretty peaceful way to go by dwarven standards, but I really feel I'm failing here as a suturer.

"Yes, don't worry, they died in their sleep, always very peaceful..."

*corpse is carted out, pallid and emaciated, eyes bulging in horror and mouth distended in a scream above a deep but competently sutured neck wound*

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
So I did a few portraits of dwarves between bouts of study and bouts of pretending to study. I was originally just going to do one for my own journal entries, but I underestimated how fun stuff seems when the alternative is work, so ended up doing our pioneer leader DannyGlands and current vengeful mastermind Spanish Matlock too. So! Just throwing my own one up at the moment as it's (once again) a lovely phone pic. My plan is tomorrow to head up to the college, scan them in and try colouring them in GIMP or something - dwarves have some pretty gnarly skin colour/hair combos.

Wanna try doing some scene next, I'm thinking our baroness beheading that jabberer in the cavern. I was playing around with trying to make them look like carvings, but the free image filters online I tried made the ink drawings look worse (rounded off all lines and made them equal thicknss, etc.). Maybe it'll work better with scanned images. Open to suggestions if anyone has done that sort of thing before. :)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Epee Em posted:

Ran it through a lazy sequence of filters and layer blends in Illustrator and Photoshop to provide a rough mock-up of a result:

Whatever you did it looks better than my attempt! I didn't have as long as I thought to mess around with them today, plus I realised when I got to the scanner I had forgotten to ink the Spanish Matlock doodle.

Here's Dash's and DannyGland's scan if you want to run those filters over it and see how it looks:

And I started messing around with colouring. First go trying to do something like this, mainly I was just curious what exactly a person would look like with skin of burnt umber, hair of mahogany, brass eyes and all those other poetic procedural descriptions. Faithful as possible! Still needs to be finished, shaded and get a background maybe, but I'm going out now and just wanted to show how it's going.

And the slightly cleaned phone pic start of Spanish Matlock:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Danny Glands posted:

"Pardon my elvish, but I've seen some poo poo..."

Yeah man, you ended up look quite bombed out, don't quite know what happened. I reckon because I drew it at like 2 in the morning maybe some of that transferred into the sketch. Anyway here's the finished-as-it's-gonna-be colour.

Actually, I did think of a reason you look so eh, perturbed.

The Outpost Founder DannyGlands Nishodok, inspects the Trap corridor built by Overseer symuun Oddemendok, in the second year of Fogwall:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 13, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
You know what? That background works for an awful lot of dwarf fortress situations.

Dashticle, in the hospital hard at work.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Gridlocked posted:

Just put it in spoiler tags for those of us too blind to see.

If you really want to spoil yourself, the wiki can point you in the right direction. Seen as it seems a surprising amount of people actually can't connect the dots (or are DF vets and just pretending they can't) it leaves scope for the next overseer to preside over a clusterfuck whodunnit. It's Exciting !.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Spanish Matlock inspects the Garbage Day device after its inauguration:

scalded schlong posted:

Jesus Christ is that a distant cousin or something

You know, if you put together Spanish Matlock's eyes and DannyGland's teeth... and wait, that baby was never found you say..? :tinfoil:

Well colouring them was a fun time killer, learned some GIMP, learned drawings you do on discarded copier paper that are about 4 x 3 inches don't actually always look that great when blown up on a scanner, and finally that I probably should have just rolled filters over them to make them look like carvings instead of bothering to colour at all. Aww yiss.

Next will be our baroness kicking rear end I think. What's she wearing, by the way? Are our soldiers properly equipped yet?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 13, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I see! Well then, scene from here, once again tiny and a bit going on so not sure if it will survive inking to be scanned, hence another crappy phone shot.

Noble baroness Captain_Duck embarks on the first of many diplomatic missions to improve relations with cavern life:

e: Ha! Just noticed, 'Her hair is clean-shaven. Her hair is mahogany.' I think I might give her hair anyway, it adds some nice momentum, and kinda fits with the 'propaganda' thing I guess? Also, Le_Squide - I want to have a go at doing your dwarf, he's pretty badass and also has skin of sepia, which I don't even know what the gently caress it is. However, his extremely long moustache is arranged in loving double braids so it will take a while to muster motivation.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 14, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Interesting note: Captain_Duck is my younger sister. I assume that her baronessship is acquired through marriage? Or perhaps our civilization is matriarchal. It would explain all the women in the fortress.
Your sister, but do both of you have both the same parents? Dwarves seem to have kids with whoever these days so her Barony might have been the result of some duke sowing his royal oats in your mum or what have you. Whatever the case, I wouldn't dispute it with Cap_Duck. She is incredibly muscular. She is mighty. :black101:

I couldn't leave her with hair after I read the description, so I gave her a helmet with straps instead. This one will be fun to colour as I get to put in a bunch of blood. Compromised with equipment between ideal (plate) and probable reality (one copper boot and a helmet): two boots, a helmet and a chain shirt over civvies.

I had no idea Jabberers were supposed to be so big! I only knew goblins rode around on them, so I thought maybe 3 - 4 times dwarf size, max. Let's just pretend it was a baby one that our War Baroness punctured the lung of and then left to die.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 14, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

This is a journal entry of Dashticle Galleyshimmered, suturer in Fogwall. All wordsmanship is of the most overwrought quality. It menaces with lengthy paragraphs and is encircled by rings of unnecessary adjectives.

10th Opal 553

Ever since coming to this miserable, wet, forsaken hole and ruining my best silk socks in a pool of alligator blood which for some reason was going stagnant outside the main entrance tunnel, I knew we had made a big mistake. The air inside was not filled with the welcome smouldering heat of charcoal furnaces, nor the ringing of anvils and the echoes of carved, sterile stone - instead the tangy smell of earthen walls, the mud off our boots adding to the mess as we trudged our damp and weary bodies inside this dump. We were nearly 100 feet inside before we came to a door!

I thought for a while it was some Goblin trick. Lure Dwarves from the safety of the larger cities with promises of a new start, away from the onslaught of of the Wraith of Clutching - one party at a time, lured into some dank excuse for a tunnel and quietly murdered. I almost wish it had been. Surely it would have been a more merciful fate than what has happened over the last 2 years.

The second year of its founding, the Wraith came for Fogwall. The bloody overseer, one of these word-murdering rustic types, had built a giant stone lollipop about 20 yards away from the entrance hole apparently, and the squad of goblins just walked around it. Inside our front entrance, held off only by a doorway. The contingency plan tunnel failed. My wife, image of Mestthos herself, was cut down in the desperate struggle in this forsaken hallway, my baby lunnrais too. This was when the fortress started to bleed. Or did it start to bleed us?

I've made my livelihood from staunching wounds. I do my best. But this fortress, this miserable place... it seems to have a thirst. In the darkness, it is literally taking the life from our veins these days, making us pay with our very blood for each desperate push for expansion. The Barony and the mayor have started throwing people in prison for ignoring their work orders. Rings, wheelbarrows... these are not things to throw dwarves in jail over.

I've met the mayor, he seems a nice fellow - and a Legendary fighter, I've heard - but with the nobility, you just never know. They are probably pulling Stephen Armstrong's strings, making him throw innocent dwarves in jail in order to smear the good dwarf's name. I've heard two of them fancy themselves warriors, and go off hunting cave creatures- I know Le_Squide at least killed one of the goblins during the first siege - though I also happen to know from stitching him up that the drat thing nearly crippled him. False imprisonments. Blood draining. Paranoia. I can tell a sick fortress when I see one. And I've made it my life's work... to find a cure.

I need a loving lie down.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 17, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
It's highly likely my CPU will melt if the fort gets any bigger.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
All right so I just wanted to put in that I won't be around 'til Monday if perchance my name did get pulled from the hat(should still be within the time limit I think?). Also saying to DannyGlands that I will probably also on Monday consolidate all my pics into this post or so, so your head doesn't explode trying to link all those lovely pics post by post in the OP.

Also here's a phone pic that I wasn't gonna put up 'til I could scan it and try making it look properly carved. e: gently caress it, I just continued to butcher it in GIMP. At least I know roughly how to do it properly now for a scan when I have time next week.

Technical Analysis posted:

Doesn't matter, a proper Dwarven carving is all about the propoganda. Our War Baroness is clearly armed to the teeth with steel platemail all over.

This is an image of the Baroness Cap_Duck and the War Baron Le_Squide. On the image is an image of a kobold. The dwarves are angry. The kobold is sorry. This image is relating to the broken trade prohibition of rings in Fogwall in 553.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 19, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Xun posted:

Are those dwarves space marines?

Actually, I started with the idea of the entire nobility of Fogwall (I think we have 4? now) standing on top of a mound of skulls/corpses and firing crossbows in random directions while the guys/gals in front wield oversized melee weapons and frowny faces, like the old 40k artwork. So yeah, that's the boob-plate and oversized shoulder-pads and boots. I a) got bored of the idea and b) decided this is more dwarfy, especially since dwarves are more likely to beat the poo poo out of things with their crossbows than fire them anyway.

So gathering my portraits for ease of linking, will add more here if/as they come up.
Faces of Fogwall:

DannyGlands

Spanish Matlock

Yours truly

And coloured the Baroness discussing the rent situation with those squatters in our basement:

I scanned the cave marine pic today so I'll add the improved version here when I get time to gently caress around with it.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Drakenel posted:

It's been a long rear end time since I've played this game, but can dwarves have mounts to ride into battle? I know goblins can, but I've never really seen that happen for the dwarven side. Just war animals that fight on their own.

Not from the player's fort, but they are capable of riding in adventure mode and when they show up in sieges against other races in (modded) fortress mode.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

But, for example, the good mayor's project had a number of problems with it (and still does, actually!

If I had been drawn from the overseer hat I was going to build one of these too and so I did my homework on it. Pretty sure one of the problems is Water needs to be at least 2 whole Z levels deep to draw a well from it. From what I see this one isn't, but moving the well one more Z up, demolishing the floor in the old well room then screw-pumping water into that level from the reservoir should fix it? .

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

Wentley finally manages to get a lucky hit in on Captain_Duck, smashing her bone apart. Captain_Duck falls over, days of peacefully resisting finally catching up to her just as she can no longer do anything about it, and Wentley swiftly disposes of her like he did Le_Squid

Is a dwarf not entitled to the export of his goods? "No" says the noble, "it belongs to the fort." Wentley chose a different path.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Pyroi posted:

You know how Pig Latin is a thing?

This is Dwarf Latin.

Exactly. Basically most of the words are just smaller and more blunt. What you see in frame is the entirety of the phrase.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yeah, I don't think there's any way to come back from a loyalty cascade once one of the affected dwarves breaks quarantine anyway. Plus, abandoning while there still some people left alive will mean they'll wander off and may reappear as migrants to a new fort... right?

Plus, I've never played adventure mode. I'd like to read a playthrough from someone who's good at it as an interlude.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Guessing someone threw a full quiver or something, and the bolts shotgunned out of it after some janky physics calculations? Anybody's guess.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

Not shotgunned, exploded. They flew out in every direction and covered like half the screen. I should've just grabbed a screenshot immediately but I wanted to figure out what was going on first

I get you, but I'm wondering if maybe the quiver being thrown by a dwarf or dropped as opposed to fired from a cart did something weird. I'd love to know what happened exactly as it seems it would be interesting to weaponise if I ever get time to play DF again...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to see an artistic representation of a foot getting hit so hard by a wool cap that it explodes

The reason I love this game is the vivid situations it creates through awkward procedural text. Really wanna draw a scene to encompass this, our lich mayor, the great outdoors troll-punching sleep-in, and the goblin archer who wake-boarded across the river on a dwarven corpse only to get mobbed by battle-hardened children.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Between dodging last minute assignments I tried to capture the new immigrant's arrival to Fogwall:

Also the black and white copy just in case someone with a tablet and (even more) time on their hands than me could volunteer a better colour job, my one is beyond awful.

Click here for the full 2000x2828 image

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Matlock posted:

child beating.

Oh rats, I hope that panel is clear. I'm not making light of child beating, it's actually hitting children so hard with your hat that they explode.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

TildeATH posted:

No, no, you have to kill. Dwarfs can get into fistfights and be fine.

I also think a hammerer can kill a man and be fine. Anyone know if that's the case?

I actually thought it was any attack too, the way loyalty cascades work I thought a dwarf would be flagged as an enemy of the fort as soon as they attacked an affected dwarf for any reason.

If it's only killing I guess there's still a chance, but if not I think some kind of dfhack voodoo might be needed to calm poo poo down? Otherwise there'll be one crazy dwarf left and he will murder the next immigrant wave even unless he's told to go play with the goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I'm pretty sure vampires caught drinking just cause a crime to be reported unless the discoverer is a soldier or otherwise has their attack response triggered... most of my vampires in previous versions only got into trouble with the Sheriff/Hammerer, sometimes after calmly bisecting any unfortunate soldiers that caught them drinking in the barracks or whatever.

Happy Christmas Fogwall!

• Locked thread