Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Sandstone 17, the 549th year of the Rhythmic Ropes and the 18th year of Queen Tobul Bellyells
Oiledgorged, current capital of the Rhythmic Ropes

A figure dressed in the purple and black cloak of the Administrators guild walked slowly through the Hall of Rulers, on his way to an important meeting. He looked at some of the statues in the halls.

There was Deler Bridgenotched, the founder of the Reeded Ropes, who gave his life in 11 fighting Acithe Pussplashes the Dungs of Spray, the Forgotten Beast who decided to take Authoredcopper, the First City, as its lair.

There were the two human rulers, Meng Gildspirits and Kadol Racklanced, who came from Glazetraded, the fortress which offered protection to a small human hamlet displaced by the constant civil wars of their former civilization.

And then there was Dodok Bellslore, who turned her back on her civilization in 39 to join a vile confederation of necromancers in Basesboot. As such, the face on her statue was carved off in a superstitious move, due to the belief that Dodok could possess anything bearing her image.

"And to think she still walks the Realm of Oracles," the dwarf said to himself, shivering while walking into the meeting room.

"Guildsdwarf DannyGlands, you are late," proclaimed the Grand Master of the Administrators Guild as soon as she saw him approach.

"I'm sorry, I had to wait for..."

"I don't care for your excuses, Guildsdwarf. You are to arrive promptly when asked!"

"Yes, Grand Master," the more junior dwarf replied insincerely.

"Now, I understand you've voted against my son gaining full membership in the Guild. I have a letter here you sent to another guildsman saying, quote, 'he lacks the ability to lead any group, even if the group is him alone.' Now, I'm not bitter about that at all."

"Of course you aren't, Grand Master..." DannyGlands responded. He guessed his friend was now languishing in the jailfor the mere offense of holding an "offensive" letter, even if the only thing offensive about it was that it did not paint the Grand Master's son in a positive light.

"Now on an unrelated note, the Council has authorized a mining expedition to The Virtuous Swamp. We have a site set up alongside Nastylards Stream. You are to join them. You leave the first of the new year, and I will send some dwarves to see you off."

---

The Journal of DannyGlands, Granite 15 550
So when the Grand Bitch said she'd have someone see me off, what she really meant is that she would send hammerdwarves to my room to throw me onto a wagon in the middle of the night. It's been two weeks of travel and we've finally made it to the area called Fogwall. The journey was rough -- this wagon is obviously garbage -- too rough to reasonably write anything down. But now that we're at a stop, I can write freely.

I've included dossiers on myself and the six others assigned to this "mining expedition":

Most of them seemed to have been forced on this expedition for the same reason I was: somehow insulting the mad Grand Master of the Administrator Guild. She had probably intended for us to die out in this fetid swamp, but we had smuggled some supplies with us. We will defy the bitch, and we will thrive here... in FOGWALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Welcome to the DF14 LP, Fogwall. This is the first Let's Play on the SA forums for the new Dwarf Fortress (more information on this in the Games thread)

No "dwarf me" posts!
There is a sign up sheet for those who want to be dwarfed, which fills out this spreadsheet.

How to become the next overseer
This is a succession game, which means control of the fortress will be handed off to a new player every 1st of Granite (when the game announces that spring has arrived). When one player's turn ends, I will open up a call for overseers and randomly select a respondent in the thread. Overseers are expected to give updates in 48-hour intervals at the most. This is to keep the game moving swiftly.

Other thread rules
If you are an overseer and an unforseen circumstance forces you to be away from the fort, please post your latest save so I can pick a new overseer and avoid writing time paradoxes and the sort by reverting to the old save. An overseer taking over for one that leaves before the year is over can play the remainder of the current year plus one bonus year if they so choose.

Small constructive posts providing advice to the current overseer are welcome; backseat overseeing is not. Don't fill up the thread with advice posts.

As always with DF LPs here, fan art and journal entries, as well as other contributions, are welcome.

Gods of the Rhythmic Ropes

• Sazir, female dwarf: minerals, jewels, wealth, and trade
  • Mestthos, female dwarf: fortresses
  • Lurit the Diamonds of Gold, male wolverine: mountains, metal, and fire
  • Onul Mistyauras, male dwarf: lies and darkness
  • Shilrar, female dwarf: marriage
  • Oth Whispernight the Impervious Cave, male dwarf: mist
  • Atol, male dwarf: art and inspiration
  • Rulush the Heavenly Clam, female dwarf: rain
  • Dur Fangprince, female dwarf: generosity, war, and valor
  • Gadan, male dwarf: happiness
  • The Furnaces of Sizzling, male dwarf: Volcanoes
  • Rilem the Fair Bud, male dwarf: birth and balance

DannyGlands

symuun

Veloxyll

Spanish Matlock

Epee Em (non-canon)

ninjewtsu

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 31, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Non-overseer updates and other fan articles

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 8, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

NewMars posted:

So what's the plan re:updates to dwarf fortress during the course of the LP?

I'm running this off the DF starter pack so updates, assuming save compatibility doesn't break, will be handled by the updater batch file the starter pack guys provide.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Second Entry

"It's not all flat swamp," Grey Hunter, one of the miners, told me. "Look at those cliffs to the southwest. We could start digging over there."

"Get to it," I told the miners. "We need to at least get a place for sleeping and a place to farm, out of this sun... or what we can see of it," I commented while looking at the huge trees that blanketed the place. "We could use some wood as well."

I looked at the others. "None of you are woodworkers, huh?" I said, shaking my head. "I can only tolerate sleeping on the ground for so long... it's probably the same with you guys..."

AC, the bowyer, raised her hand. "I mostly worked on wooden bows," she told me. "I can probably do other things related to wood as well."

I sighed and nodded. "All right then. Let's get started."

A few minutes later, we were fighting a alligator that decided to come out of the river.

The miners ran off scared, but the rest of us just decided to give it a good old-fashioned beat down after we decided it was mostly harmless.

Unfortunately, AC decided to end our game of "punch the reptile" with a good whack with her axe, killing it with a few blows. So it was back to work we went.

Finally, the miners began to work, digging the entrance in the root system of a tree. The miners tell me that the composition of the hall they started work on is sand in the front, and siltstone a ways back.

I will leave them to their jobs...

~~

After a while, we've managed to make a decent place to sleep, farm, store food, and make the all-essential liquor that powers the dwarven spirit.

"You know what?" I asked one of the miners. "Let's defy that bitch. Let's make Fogwall not an exile outpost but a fortress that needs no administrators guild. Let's build the best drat city the Rhythmic Ropes has ever known!"

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Ha, I bet everyone thought a bowyer would be useless. Bowyers are the best!

Yep. I may have to build a butcher shop early to take care of the alligator that you ended the suffering of.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Third Journal Entry
I am not sure how much left we have to drink.

Reading is our bookkeeper, but he does not have an office yet, so he cannot take a detailed inventory yet. In our time of setting up, though, I sadly shake my head and say we should start the still only when we have to rush to the river and drink water to slake our thirst. Hopefully this will not happen.

~~

The miners have discovered some low-value gems while excavating the area to store useless trade goods. We also have a trade depot ready, in case the Rhythmic Ropes decides to send out a trade delegation.

Also, I need to think about making individual rooms for ourselves. Scamtank's snoring wakes me up constantly.

Rulush the Heavenly Clam visits this place often, it appears.

~~
There is a section scratched out here.
~~

... I just beat up a rattlesnake with my bare hands. My god, being in the swamp has gotten to me... Espilae ran out with some logs, made an impromptu butcher's shop, and made food out of the rattlesnake I strangled. Waste not, want not, I guess?

~~
Summer has arrived on the calendar.
~~

Time to start laying out the fortress proper -- what we were doing is merely a hole in the cliff...

This will be the working level. It's expandable, and the rooms that are being dug out can work as both offices and workshops. Across the hall is the warehouse, which is also expandable.

This will be the Great Hall and the relaxation level. Also included will be a food storepile with a passage heading to the fields up on the Entry Level. Possible further uses for this level could include a statue garden and rooms for the nobility.

And below that we have the habitat level, a place where every dwarf may have a room. Spaces are big enough for the average dwarf, yet small enough so that rooms pack easily.

Plus a project a few levels below I'm not ready to tell anyone about yet.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Fourth Entry

The discovery of fire clay in the relaxation level means we can move our farms down deeper and not have them at such a vulnerable spot at the fortress entrance. I will inform Espilae of this.

Horrors... what I designated to be the residential level was made of clay as well. This will not work as all. I'm telling the miners to scrub this floor and move the plans down. I will not be sleeping in a room of clay when there is the potential of sleeping in a room of stone!

~~
16th Malachite
I am actually writing down the date today as it appears that some dwarves have left the more established cities to come to this little hole-in-the-cliff.

They are:

Our population now stands at 13, which now includes two married couples. I wonder if their children will come later.

~~
The dry season has come.
Autumn has arrived on the calendar.

~~

14th Limestone
Traders! And an outpost liason! I guess there must have been a change in power in the Administrators Guild back in the capital -- the bitch would never have sent traders out here, in a place that was supposed to be our unmarked grave.

~~

I woke up to find the outpost liason sitting on the foot of the bed I was in.

"Uh, how is it going?" I asked him.

"The world is the same as ever."

"Ah... nothing about anything back home? Any shakeups in the Administrators Guild?"

"Ah yes... she was found dead back in the summer, with 'I AM NOT YOUR TOY' carved into her forehead... the captain of the guard calls it an accident."

"An awful specific accident..."

"Yes. Anyway--"

"OI! WHERE'S THE TRADER OF THIS ELFHOLE?!" screamed a voice outside the dormatory.

"I'll talk to you later," I said as I rushed to the depot.

~~
10th Sandstone

More migrants are coming...

Our fortress population is now 21.

~~
We have finalized an agreement with the mountainhomes. They are asking for:

and we are requesting mostly booze.
~~

We have found native platinum while digging out living quarters! Now if only we can get the beds made, but our carpenter is finding excuse after excuse.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm sure there is a more useless (but healthy) dwarf than I am.

I'm still pretty useless though, look at those attributes. "Quick to tire" "flimsy" "bad intuition" "clumsy kinesthetic sense." I would make a terrible draftee, and I'm pretty sure quick to tire makes me pretty useless for most anything else. Plus I'm a GLASSMAKER. The SECOND ONE.

At least you have a mighty husband.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Final update of my reign will be posted tomorrow sometime this week.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 11, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Dashticle posted:

OP, am I wrong or was it yourself who started the Grandmirrors(or something) DF LP a while ago? The delay here isn't by any chance you trying to mine out a massive intricate forge level one z above the magma sea, as a a result having to spend ages unpausing and redesignating dig spots as the dwarves cancel due to warm stone...?

I did do Grandmirror a while back, yes. (nothing more to be said about that.)

And no, the delay is for issues that happened in meatspace. The year is done; I've just got some image cropping to do and then I'll post my update and open the :siren:OVERSEER LOTTERY:siren:.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Fifth Entry
Winter has arrived on the calendar.
Nine months. It has been nine months, more or less, since we came here. We stand at 21 dwarves and our food stores are holding steady, thanks to the ability of our turkeys to squat out eggs that can be made into wonderful...

egg stews. Don't the humans have another name for it? Eh, doesn't matter.

Our industry is going well. With nothing to mine, I've decided to add the miners to the Masonry Corps... temporarily, until further expansion is needed.

Industry is good, and we're surviving.

~~
8th Opal
Woytaz has suddenly dropped his drink and started yelling for a glass furnace. Uh-oh... I call for Ninjewtsu to help out. Thank the gods we have two glassmakers!

~~

20th Opal
Woytaz keeps muttering something about "Takuthkonos" needing raw green glass... ninjewtsu is working as fast as she can. I am worried about Woytaz, he looks extremely thirsty.

~~
24th Opal
Woytaz has apparently gotten all he needs to build what he was struck with the inspiration for... Hopefully he finishes it before he dehydrates completely.

~~
1st Obsidian

There was a yell coming from the glass furnaces. Woytaz has apparently woken from his stupor, yelling about why he was here when he was so drat thirsty and what this gem was. He then stomped off to the drinking halls.

I took a look at what he left behind, a gem with a picture of a book on it. Apparently it is called Chasmbrass. Too bad woytaz doesn't remember a drat thing about making it, it's really perfect.

~~
11th Obsidian

It may be a bit on the morbid side, but I have recieved word that the mausoleum is ready. The seven coffins that greet visitors to the necropolis are reserved for me and the six others who started building this place, so that we may never be forgotten...

Of course, it's expandable. The necropolis holds space for more coffins to give dwarves their final rest, plus a plan for a tomb for a royal, if one comes to stay here in Fogwall.

~~
As the year comes to a close, I reflect on how we got here. Seven outcasts from a mad administrator's rampage start a rather nice fort that even manages to trade with the mountain halls. For someone who was supposed to die from exile, I consider myself very lucky. And now the time has come to close this chapter of Fogwall. May my successor continue to keep us thriving.

The wet season has arrived!
Spring has arrived on the calendar.

Status, end of 550

Overseer Lottery time! Just state your intent to oversee Fogwall in this thread, and in 48 hours I will randomly select the Overseer for the next year from those who spoke up.

Here is the savegame for those interested.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 14, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

With :siren:8 hours:siren: left until the draw, here's a list of people interested in the next turn so far:

• Veloxyll
  • scamtank
  • symuun
  • ninjewtsu
  • Woodburger
  • Dashticle

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Entries closed!

Using random.org to pick, and symuun is the winner! You have 24 hours to start your turn. Good luck!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

How weird is it that the first year bugs actually happened at the start of the second year? Too bad we can't make large glass sawblades, since the sand collection zone is on the wrong end of the elbow doors.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 16, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Personal Journal, 25th Granite 551
23 days into a siege by a goblin exploratory force is not the time for showing both me and the current overseer your lineage records. Even if Le_Jackal's mother is Mafol Mansionsabre, Baroness of Wanderedinks, there has been no declaration of Fogwall of a barony yet, we are still technically a exploratory outpost, and there's a bunch of goblins standing in the depot! If he starts making demands over anyone's head, I swear I'll throw eggs at him...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here is a description of the marsh titan that seems to be on our civilization's mind lately:

240 kills (156 dwarves, 70 goblins, 11 humans, and 3 elves) and 29 rampages (All on goblin sites, and preferring the goblin city of Rampartfly -- 15 rampages on that one alone).

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Personal Journal, 15th Limestone 551

Fifty-six. From a civilization of 97 cities, we have fallen to 56. This is a clear message from those goblin bastards... they want The Rhythmic Ropes to fall. I'm not sure if this is directed at us in particular, or if this is a general campaign of terror against this region in general. A human civilization occupies pretty much the same geographic area as us. I wonder if they've been terrorized too...

While doing some research, I noticed the demon leader of the Wraith of Clutching... A horrifying creature.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Trundel posted:

OOC: What's the policy on posting stuff from legends viewer? I want to look back at the group that my dwarf was a part of, but is there anything that we should hold off of posting?

Uh, my journal entries draw a lot from legends, so I'd say it's allowed.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

:siren:Overseer Lottery is open!:siren:
You have 48 hours to express interest in running this fort. Once time is up, I will randomly pick a new overseer.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here's a list of people wishing to oversee this turn so far:
  • scamtank
  • LeJackal
  • Elth
  • Veloxyll
  • ninjewtsu
  • Dashticle
  • Boing

The lotto will close and a new overseer will be selected at random at noon Pacific Time tomorrow.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Okay, the lotto is now closed. Determined by a random draw, your new overseer is Veloxyll!

May whatever deity you worship have mercy on your soul.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Suicide Note of DannyGlands, sometime in 552
The humans have managed to avoid any goblin invasion... This war, the War of Targeting, waged by the goblin scourge is too much... the Grandmaster was right... this place was intended for my execution after all.

AC... I'll join you in whatever life is after this one.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

If we can beat a crocodile unconscious, we can take care of this bird.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I have no idea why people are not voting for me!

What was your campaign like? Reading probably ran on the "I'm doing all the administrative jobs already" ticket...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

A serpent man diplomat... Now that's something to see (or at least hear)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Overseer Lottery is open!
As before, you have 48 hours to declare your intent to run the fort. The winner will be selected by random draw.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

The overseer lottery is now closed, and as determined by a random draw, the new overseer is Spanish Matlock!

Good luck!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Spanish Matlock is on the clock. If he does not produce an update in 24 hours another overseer draw will be held from the lottery pool.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Update and journal directories will be updated tomorrow.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Journal and update lists have finally updated!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Why hasn't Os just eaten the rat demon? He is a serpent (man) after all.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Would you guys want me to make a "legends" heading to supplement the Journal ones?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here you go, symuun (and anyone else who wants to dive straight into the legends of the Realm of Oracles -- which is the name of the entire DF world we're playing in, I think someone asked earlier)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

symuun posted:

Cheers! Are you going to put these in the OP? If so, my previous legend's here.

I'll do so when I'm at a physical keyboard.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

"Pardon my elvish, but I've seen some poo poo..."

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Overseer lottery time!

You know the drill: post your intent to continue the legacy, then I'll pick a new overseer by random 48 hours from now!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I use random.org to pick the overseer. But if they want to post resumes let them. It's harmless fun.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Entries are closed. LeJackal is the next overseer, good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Next on the draw is Epee Em.

• Locked thread