Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ninjewtsu posted:

My husband is the gooniest of goons and I was probably drunk when I married him

It's actually kind of funny how he got almost every possible negative related to communicating with others

No empathy, social skills, or linguistic ability is the trifecta of goon

Yes, but on the plus side, we both "often feel lustful", I have "an active imagination", and you don't mind "wearing something special sometimes". So that could have been it...

I also note that I have an very odd relationship with spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
No Bad Munki?
No Bad Munki!
Perhaps doom can be forestalled after all...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

From the Diary of 'Ghostwoods' Wonderedhalls, Fogwall outpost.
25th Granite 551.

Well. Damned if I know what all that was about. I was trying to explain the challenges of slicing Elephant-cheese to that old farmer, Symuun, when he dashed off. I was still getting over my surprise at that when he dashed back again, this time with a bloody great big axe.

"Grab this, lad," he said, and pressed it into my hands.

I did my best to point out that you really don't want an axe for cheese. Not enough precision, see. Too weighty, too... well... axey. You don't want mangle-cheese now, do you? 'Course not.

Anyway, did he listen? Did he buggery. The old coot shot off somewhere else, came back with a couple of girls, and told me I was in charge! That's not so bad, having a pair of 70-somethings looking up to me. I'm a married dwarf of course, but there's nothing wrong with looking, even if one of 'em seems depressed, and the other one's a bit slow. That's miners for you, though. Too wrapped up in stone. No connection to the things that matter, like rotting milk.

From then on, it was all "Stand here!", "Go out the door!", "Come back in the door!", "Go out again!", "Come back in again!", and so on, for over three weeks now. Can't make his bloody mind up, the poor old sod. He said something about goblins, but that's a ridiculous idea.

Who under the earth would ever consider eating Goblin-cheese?

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Elth posted:

You should timg all the images because...

... because if you do that, you clearly want everyone to stop reading the thread.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

From the Diary of 'Ghostwoods' Wonderedhalls, Fogwall outpost.
23rd Limestone 551.

I'm becoming quite concerned about Overseer Symuun's mental health. He doesn't seem to understand the differences between a logging axe, a battling axe, and a cheesing axe. How could a Dwarf fall so far from Armok's grace? He is very old, the poor fellow. Ancient, even. Perhaps his eyesight is going -- or his mind. Or both.

Whatever the reason, he spent solid hours screaming at me about things he clearly has absolutely no understanding of. I did my best to remain patient. It is wrong to be cruel to the afflicted. Besides, he is Overseer for now, and thus deserves respect. I doubt that I would waste a slice of cheddar on him if he were toasting, however. Anyhow, he finally seemed to actually remember the true writ. I left to take out my frustration on some trees. Pointless things, trees. Utterly milkless.

That StrangeAeon seems like a solid fellow, however. He knows his way around a wheel of Gouda. Good to have him on board.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ninjewtsu posted:

He's all I have left of my precious Ghoostwoods

If I do come back as a ghost of some sort, I can only hope that I go haunt some trees.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Good work, Veloxyll!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Danny Glands posted:

The new overseer is Spanish Matlock!

All hail our new dinosaur tea-party overlord!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Haifisch posted:

gently caress it, put my name in the hat. I'm good at managing day-to-day fort life but bad at military, so clearly I'm what fogwall needs. :downs:

Given how you seem to control the powers of chaos -- at least, if Crawl is anything to go by -- I don't see you could possibly be more disastrous than, say, Epee Em's planepacked-glitching ways!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Blessed be the Cheesemakers, for they shall inherit the Earth! Well. Their families, anyway :) Give 'em hell!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

symuun posted:

What is this turn?

Very hard for future overseers to deal with? :allears:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

Eh it's no trouble at all to deconstruct the walls and return the fortress to normal. Which will hopefully happen. As fun as shut-in madness is for a turn, turtle fortress is not exactly thrilling.

I was thinking more of a vampire fortress with no military and a bunch of murdered settlers.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Valiantman posted:

That's, like... wow. I don't look like that and I don't have muscles to speak of but that's downright uncanny.

You eat KUMQUATS? You monster!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

VanSandman posted:

What happens if everyone is a vampire?

They all become really strong and hardy, and then slow to a not-even-a-crawl because they can't drink booze any more and nobody ever does anything ever again. Plus new arrivals and traders tend to get a rather shocking welcome.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ViggyNash posted:

Wait a second, I'm drowning to death... but I'm thirsty?

Clearly, the dwarfy solution to this problem would be to carve a channel between your lungs and your stomach.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not a huge fan of calling this a civil war. There really isn't any sides or factions or loyalties or anything

As I understand it, dwarves attacking a friendly do actually get labelled as members of an enemy faction. Unfortunately, they're still tagged as friendly faction too. Which pretty much is the definition of a civil war.

Anyway, the problem arises when a newcomer attempts to pacify the 'enemy', because that also counts as attacking a friendly for purposes of tagging. So the insanity spreads like a death-virus. I don't think it can end anywhere other than a Highlanderesque "There Can Be Only One". You can hide a chunk of the populace away from all the combatants, so they never get infected though, and keep them separate until all the fighters are dead.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

If only there were another kind of virus spreading through the fort that made people exceptionally easy to hide away for long periods of time.

Well, yes. When I say "problem", I of course mean "wonderfulness".

ninjewtsu posted:

This makes sense, though from my observations it would appear that each dwarf gets tagged as a member of its own individual enemy faction, which are also all hostile to each other. At the very least, there's some 3-5 factions in play here, which makes me hesitant to call it a "civil war" when it's that chaotic. There are no obvious lines in the sand like a war would imply, so
:goonsay:

Hm. You have an excellent point, there. OK, I take it back. It's not so much a civil war as The Stars Are Right. I'd guess that every infected dwarf still considers itself a friendly member of the Civ, but sees other dwarfs' enemy tags as a faceless mass.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Is anyone doing anything other than fighting/dying, Ninjewtsu?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Funky Valentine posted:

watered with blood.

Blooded? Bloodied? Blood-soaked?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Danny Glands posted:

Someone needs to compose a poem called "In Fogwall Fields".

Love and Thunder herald pain,
Lightning-struck in blood-smear rain,
Terror bites across the plain,
In Fogwall Fields.

Traitor lovers dream of blood,
Kindled rage like river's flood,
Ev'ry hope dies in the bud,
In Fogwall Fields.

Safety promised was a lie,
Knowing there is naught to try,
Wretched here we waste and die,
In Fogwall Fields.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TildeATH posted:

No, no, you have to kill. Dwarfs can get into fistfights and be fine.

I also think a hammerer can kill a man and be fine. Anyone know if that's the case?

Hammerers and brawls are fine, but IIRC there's a difference in the way the attack is coded -- so hitting someone both friendly and enemy as if they were an enemy will infect you, whilst brawling or hammering someone to death (which you do as/despite being friendly) will not. I don't believe the loyalty cascade can be started without a death, but once it's going, the tangled flags will get ya.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Grey Hunter posted:

At least dorf me got a few hits in.

It could be worse. I only got to mutter about cheese a bit :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Grey Hunter posted:

Oh yeah, I just find it funny I make a critism and then my dorf dies in the next update.....

Armok is a cruel God...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

StrangeAeon posted:

I wonder how long before everyone is vampires? :allears:

Since there's more vamps than non-vamps, and feeding is usually fatal, about the next time they've all gotten thirsty.

Vampires will feed on animals, if they can find one sleeping, so a breeding pair of narcoleptic cattle would be a great stand-by...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Nietzschean posted:

That miasma cloud in the screenshot of the party at the gabbro table is you.

:iceburn:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Great update, Dashticle. Man, this fort is horrible!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I've been wondering whether vampires will feed on other vampires. I guess we're about to find out!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I admire anyone who can take on this hideous poisoned chalice and wrangle out something better than "Vampires fall, everyone dies." Beyond me, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Sheeeit, Danno, that's all you had to say.

• Locked thread