Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Can't wait to see this started. Wait... I can. I still have to catch up on Bronzestabbed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Seyser Koze posted:

I was just asking from a mechanics standpoint, I've never actually played the game.

I should apply for overseer.

I would love you see you become overseer this or next round. Let's make it happen!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

tlarn posted:

This thread and my slowly working through the Bronzestabbed thread's updates has gotten me back on the saddle of delving into the earth. I forgot how you just lose sense of time when you're setting designations and doing exploratory mining and yeah now I have a dorm and a dining hall let's turn food off on this stockpile and gently caress me it's almost midnight. :stare:

Yeah, my sleep habits have become awful since DF2014 has (mostly) killed the new bugs.

Also, I look forward to Veloxyll's term!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

Oh my bad you're right, I always thought they could destroy constructed walls! Was it like that in an older version?

I don't think so... pretty sure they've always stuck to passable objects (doors, grates, etc...) and workshops. Walls and bridges are 100% safe.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Huh, I might get dwarfed after the next few waves of migrants. That doesn't seem too far off.

Oh man, I'm so excited!

If things continue at this pace I will be off camping when I get dwarfed! Hopefully I survive until I return.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
My dwarf seems like the perfect butcher. I hope we encounter a giant snail so she can chop it to pieces.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I am enjoying your overseership so far, but some of the images are a bit hard to read. Try to use PNG instead of JPEG, it works so much better with text and blocky images (and is perfect for DF).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

gently caress.

So its not Os? Oh dear... perhaps he turned someone to the dark side on his last visit.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

1 Asexual Female:

necrotic Dawncropper.

If only Toady added beastiality I would probably be that instead. Necro-beastiality maybe?

:barf:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Epee Em posted:

We'll see what goes catastrophically wrong THIS time.

My vote: everything.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

tlarn posted:

Also I'm pretty sure quality-of-life utilities like Dwarf Therapist are going to need a while to update to the changes. I know I couldn't play Dwarf Fortress without that.

First year or so is doable without any addons, but past that its pretty much a requirement. I couldn't imagine trying to manage Fogwall without DT.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

Nothing out of the ordinary happening here. It's all in his bio.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Is that his actual bio? Awesome.

This is turning out to be a great turn, thank you for the entertainment. Also, where did my dwarf end up? Barred inside the fort? She's kind of a loner.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Burrows do not stop job cancel spam, I have learned! Everyone was burrowed for a long while when the great banishment took place, and I was still getting job cancel messages out of my ears

The job cancel spam quadruples in speed if the wall is taken down while everyone is burrowed

Mostly though I just want to be able to see the combat logs. I can see that a trolldwarf got in a fight, and some jabberers also got in a fight, but I can't actually see how the fight went at all, which is a shame. I'm also missing out on the killing blow on a dwarf, which is also a shame.

I left you a note in the DF thread on how you can stop the CANCEL_JOB spam. Hope it helps

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
My favorite part of this update is watching the happiness meter get worse and worse.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
This is probably my favorite year of any DFLP I've followed.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Noseabout posted:

For a bit of fun I recreated Fogwall in Minecraft from after Spanish Matlock's turn. It is rather basic but has the structure down to the cave entrance to view.

Some screen grabs.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/fogwallmcimages

The save of the map if you wish to view it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-UeysQXKCnc1pJM0JQTzZXbWc/view?pli=1

why do I have to login to tumblr to view it? I don't want a tumblr account.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
My plan of quietly surviving didn't pan out :(

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
That's the spacefox tileset right? I really like that color scheme.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

The storybook thing was good, but it would probably have been better in a fortress not overrun with forgotten beasts, vampires, loyalty cascades, and tantrum spirals.

Yeah, we lost something like 50 dwarves since the last update? Whats next? The last 32 (with one left alive!, hopefully a vampire)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

It seemed like Nietzschean was content with ending his turn there. If he wanted to, he could have continued as a... ghost baby dwarf overseer? It's entirely his call.

We had a child dwarf ghost overseer before. Nothing new here.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I am loving this fort so much. The clusterfuck never ends!

ViggyNash posted:

BTW, since I drowned, am I a ghost now or does that count as a burial?

Pretty sure you need a slab engraved to memorialize you if the body is not recoverable (drowning, magma, melting, whatever)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Have you tried setting some dwarves to mining labor And Nothing Else?

This usually does it for me. There's a lot of things to pick up ATM I would think.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
gently caress it, I've never thrown myself in as overseer but I think I can have some fun with this.

Don't make me the only one in the lottery please

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

It's your lucky day, Stringbean! The random draw has picked you as the next overseer!

Stringbean, my savior. I don't think I was prepared for just how... fun the fort would be right now. But I guess that's the point, isn't it?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Been in bed sick the last couple of days so I didn't see the call for new overseers. I'll throw in for next round then!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Nietzschean posted:

I will gladly relinquish the turn to you. I think people would prefer to see a fresh face. I haven't touched it yet, so go wild!

With the amount of catch up I have to do at work after this cold/fever it'd be better for me to wait for the next round.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Rotekian posted:

The illegal mayor's punishment has been decided.

This is glorious. Dwarven punishment is the best.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
put me in coach!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
So I guess it'll be me? I can have a first post out tomorrow.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Alright, spent some time getting everything running. First post should be up in a couple hours and will be a brief intro/overview. Tomorrow will be the first post with any form of progress.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Galena 1st, 557
Contents of a tablet found on the route to Fogwall, with crude sketches

I've been relegated to surface duty in this hell hole. Better than inside at this point, I can't stop retching on miasma.

103 people are here despite all of the death and infighting. We're a bit low on food stuffs, but not low enough to panic. Although its too late for that last part.

No less than a dozen corpses lie rotting at the entrance of this place. I hope they keep them there as a sign of your doom.

The place remains constantly cluttered as people continue to rage. A few people remain hopeful, but its hard to remain that way for long in this place. Miasma plagues us almost constantly.

The living situation isnt awful, but some of us have been relegated to a shared dormatory while others get proper rooms. The selection process around this is still not known.

Everything has become chaos. From a tomb for every individual to mass burial rooms. At least the area is respectfully lacking of old clothes strewn aside.

The dining room looks like hardly anyone uses it. Probably has to do with the severe lack of tables, but I'm not in charge of that. Hopefully someone in charge figures it out.

I think this place is growing on me. The crafting area feels... normal.

The locals are mostly harmless at this point. All we really have to fear is ourselves, judging by all of the infighting.

A general overview of the fuckery in this fort. This place is all one giant trap, my god. Tomorrow I'll start in on a real update. Not sure if I'll stick with this format (basically letters or whatever)... depends on when a migrant wave comes, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Apologies for not getting a release out like I said I would. I was woefully unprepared to pick this up. On the way though!

ninjewtsu posted:

Are those corpses still from my run as overseer

I'm pretty sure they are.

• Locked thread