Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I feel embarrassed for all the artist doing their posing in the intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Instead of useless bugs or tweets it would be way funnier to see a color coded label in a corner classifying the chronology of each talking head/couch yelling segment one after another so you could see exactly how manufactured it all was.

I can't speak for exactly how long after principle photography the talking heads in Ink Master were (I got then sense it was a while afterwards, though), but for most reality TV the entire episode, sometimes even the whole season, is recorded before the talking head parts are.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Shima Honnou posted:

I can't speak for exactly how long after principle photography the talking heads in Ink Master were (I got then sense it was a while afterwards, though), but for most reality TV the entire episode, sometimes even the whole season, is recorded before the talking head parts are.
That's what I suspected, and it still makes me laugh a lot! Thanks.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I mean, I don't totally buy into the reality of Ink Master, but with most of the pairs I at least buy unpleasantness between them - the lower key ones like Don/Erik or Tim/Cleen especially.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The funniest one was the two brothers who had to be held back from attacking each other for 3 weeks and then suddenly reconciled and became bestest friends 30 seconds before one got eliminated. :v:

The delivery of "You've lost a tattoo competition but you've won a brother" was amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's getting increasingly more difficult for reality TV to maintain kayfabe. The fact that the news media often tries to 'catch them out' also doesn't help. There was a recent "Save My Gym" show and right before the first episode aired there was a flurry of articles and tweets about how one of the gyms they 'helped' actually went bankrupt as a result when it turned out all the renovations they'd done to the building weren't under permit or up to code and the business owner got left with all the fines. :v:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

That's what I suspected, and it still makes me laugh a lot! Thanks.

The funniest part is how much coaching most people need to actually get into the moment, since most producers want the talking heads to speak using present tense about poo poo that happened usually months before.

Reality TV would probably be best served just admitting that it's scripted to be entertaining, because really, most people have boring as gently caress lives. I mean poo poo, my job is sitting on my rear end in my house all day typing and watching reality TV, make a show about that, producers.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 3, 2014

trem
Sep 17, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

The funniest part is how much coaching most people need to actually get into the moment, since most producers want the talking heads to speak using present tense about poo poo that happened usually months before.

Reality TV would probably be best served just admitting that it's scripted to be entertaining, because really, most people have boring as gently caress lives. I mean poo poo, my job is sitting on my rear end in my house all day typing and watching reality TV, make a show about that, producers.

Is there enough leftover pizza for lunch today???
Will he be able to find batteries for the remote???
What did he just spill on his keyboard???

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

trem posted:

Is there enough leftover pizza for lunch today???
Will he be able to find batteries for the remote???
What did he just spill on his keyboard???

Yes
No
Tune in next time to find out!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just spilt something on my keyboard as well. Who did the better spill? WE'LL LET AMERICA DECIDE! TWEET NOW #ShimaSpilla #GlobeyGlobs

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Cracked has a few articles about the actual subject of reality tv that are pretty fun reads. This one in particular really fits in well with this thread.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secrets-making-reality-tv-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

And here's another about the depressing realities of reality tv.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20299_5-depressing-realities-behind-popular-reality-tv-shows.html

I was talking to an acquaintance about this exact situation in tattoo shows who's an artist. She mentioned that a lot of this drama has to exist because the day-to-day at a shop is actually pretty boring and doesn't make for good television, just like any typical work place.

uncle_skin
Feb 23, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

This is painfully obvious when the person doing the talking head gets a haircut in between the "live action" and talking head. I think there were a few last season where Jason's beard didn't match in the talking heads yet he was using present tense as though they were filmed at the same time.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Tonight's episode promises the longest elimination tattoo yet, on a part of the body you don't want to stare at too long.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

I say again: it's a goddamn shame they didn't just let most of these guys play it straight, since their honest answers are way funnier/more entertaining than what's in the actual show. It's the INTENSE OH MY loving GOD LET'S DO THIS RAAAH motif that the show has that totally drowns it out.

Seriously, they could play chill-out music over the entire show, have it be the goofy banter, and it'd easily be 10 times better post-production. Most reality shows wouldn't be able to pull it off, since they're riding on the hammy bullshit, but this one absolutely could.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 8, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Old Boot posted:

I say again: it's a goddamn shame they didn't just let most of these guys play it straight, since their honest answers are way funnier/more entertaining than what's in the actual show. It's the INTENSE OH MY loving GOD LET'S DO THIS RAAAH motif that the show has that totally drowns it out.

Seriously, they could play chill-out music over the entire show, have it be the goofy banter, and it'd easily be 10 times better post-production. Most reality shows wouldn't be able to pull it off, since they're riding on the hammy bullshit, but this one absolutely could.

I want nothing more than for one of the interviewees who was drinking to loosen up for the question session to have the drunken answers be on the show because that poo poo was just funny.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 8, 2014

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Two buttcheeks, one day.

edit: That was one awkward anti-smoking ad.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 8, 2014

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Stink line butt tattoo!

:dance:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Eh, probably should have been Emily, but that one by Robbie was obviously chewed up. I don't know if I remember one being that obvious on the show before.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

Eh, probably should have been Emily, but that one by Robbie was obviously chewed up. I don't know if I remember one being that obvious on the show before.

I really like it when they cut people based on how much they destroyed the canvas. I just ran through previous seasons and it happened once before where the artist did something that just wouldn't heal well.

I never watched the show, but some people I know go to Don's shop so I figured I'd see how he did. It's hard to tell with all the white noise coming off of him.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao a suicide sob story preview for next week's episode from emily. you can set your watch to all the dyed-in-wool stereotypes that end up in the roster season after season!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That was a great episode. I especially loved that the judges sometimes went "These both suck, no one wins" and they completely ignored the human canvas jury decision and ripped on the guys who should have been there instead. :v:

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
drat there's a lot of injuries this season. We're at a Survivor or Hell's Kitchen level but without the knives and fire.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Angel, Emily, & Josh seems like a match made in hell, but I have a weird feeling they'll actually pull it off (if for no other reason than Josh, for all his arrogance, can produce.)

How can you hate Julia's voice?

That banner on that ship tattoo looked pretty obviously bad.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 15, 2014

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

Angel, Emily, & Josh seems like a match made in hell, but I have a weird feeling they'll actually pull it off (if for no other reason than Josh, for all his arrogance, can produce.)

How can you hate Julia's voice?

That banner on that ship tattoo looked pretty obviously bad.

Her voice was annoying when she was doing "Sexy Baby Voice" at the start of the season but it quickly dissolved. You can still hear her use it when she talks to some of her clients though.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
god drat it, Emily gets saved for another week.

I think it's a Josh/Erik/Cleen finale

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

jason quietly backing down on his (editing) manufactured resolve to sacrifice himself was really, really funny

dumbhand
Nov 5, 2004

WATCH OUT!

jason quietly backing down on his (editing) manufactured resolve to sacrifice himself was really, really funny

That was absolutely not editing btw. If an artist decides to change their strategy mid-stream we aren't telling them to do that. They decide how they are going to play the game and we follow that.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I figured it was because they asked each artist individually who should be up. Since Julia and Mark had already voted for each other, Jason would just look silly voting for himself. If they had asked the team as a whole, he might have stepped up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm getting a lot of laugh out of how hard their pushing the "Emily is a drama queen bitch" narrative, even though Julia is far more annoying to me.

At least Emily is funny, Julia is being portrayed as every bit as arrogant as that Don character (and yes, they're all characters at this point).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Julia started out introverted or subdued but now that she's had a few wins non-losses has gained a lot of confidence (if not ability). What's funny is the people who are healthy saying "I don't care if my leg was sawed off, I'd still do a great tattoo no matter how much pain I was in".
But you never really know until it (toothache, cramps, whatever) happens to you.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

Julia started out introverted or subdued but now that she's had a few wins non-losses has gained a lot of confidence (if not ability). What's funny is the people who are healthy saying "I don't care if my leg was sawed off, I'd still do a great tattoo no matter how much pain I was in".
But you never really know until it (toothache, cramps, whatever) happens to you.

I felt like (or hoped) that was really put on. In other scenes people seemed sympathetic enough.

It stings a bit for me to see poo poo like that tooo since I really wanted to get into tattooing but my chronic illness means it's almost certainly impossible.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
My new job has me working nights so sadly I'm not able to watch this show regularly. Hopefully a weekend marathon comes through soon.

Is Cleen still the best artist so far, or did someone else jump to the top with him?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I think Josh is more likely to win than Cleen but they're basically both at the top of the heap.

dumbhand posted:

That was absolutely not editing btw. If an artist decides to change their strategy mid-stream we aren't telling them to do that. They decide how they are going to play the game and we follow that.
I do not mean manufactured in the absolutely literal sense, but that that whole "talk him out of it with Cleen & Eric" scene was pumped with dramatic music and emphasis to make it look like he was swearing himself to it, when in in fact it was probably a fleeting moment of passing consideration that he thought better of within minutes in off camera footage.

OmegaBR posted:

I figured it was because they asked each artist individually who should be up. Since Julia and Mark had already voted for each other, Jason would just look silly voting for himself. If they had asked the team as a whole, he might have stepped up.
I don't think so, he loves giving unprompted speeches so it seemed he thought better of his previous brash proclamation, which was really itself most likely a cowardly way to avoid personal face-to-face conflict with whoever he voted down. And thrusting one's self into an OPTIONAL exhausting 4 hour elimination scenario is quite possibly the worst thing anyone in the game could do by choice.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 17, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

drat, Julia's gettin' nasty. Almost makes me think Emily exorcised that bitchy demon last week and it jumped into her.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 22, 2014

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

OmegaBR posted:

drat, Julia's gettin' nasty. Almost makes me think Emily exorcised that bitchy demon last week and it jumped into her.

Quiet week for Emily. I didn't care for Eric's tattoo, the gears looked terrible. Julia just went nuts this week and is lucky her tattoo was pretty decent. I don't think the worst one got sent home though

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

ayb posted:

Quiet week for Emily. I didn't care for Eric's tattoo, the gears looked terrible. Julia just went nuts this week and is lucky her tattoo was pretty decent. I don't think the worst one got sent home though

I think Julia was already stressed about the challenge, and the fact that she went from being one of the most praised to one of the least, and then saw her canvas and assumed he'd be a difficult meathead. There was really no cause for that though. If there weren't ten other artists with the potential to do worse, she may have gone home simply on the principle. But Angel's been skirting the line with Emily as far as underperforming. Since the start Julia struck me as a Tatu Baby fourth place kind of contender.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's a safe bet in saying they kept Julia because she provided them with a the storyline of an entire episode which they will flash back to incessantly during the "greatest hits" montages to come, as well as the fact her tattoo wasn't dogshit. I realized the driving reason Craig got criminally voted off in his season is because he gave the producers virtually nothing dramatic/wacky to work with whatsoever. What self-respecting reality company needs a soft spoken black guy they can't rely on for campy reaction shots or INCENDIARY TALKING HEADS

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
A big part of this show is about putting as much stress on the artist as possible to manufacture reality tv drama. If this show was about the art instead of the drama, i'm sure that julia's outburst wouldn't happen, but this is on spike tv and most of their reality tv shows involve someone screaming at someone else.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

There isn't even a need to haughtily single out spikeTV in that regard, all reality television production companies want their shows to revel in screaming, crying and bickering. Douches yelling swears in kitchens is its own cottage television sub-genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

ayb posted:

I'm a fan of biomech tattoos and Eric's was absolutely the worst to me. No wonder the jury voted it as the worst. Horrible composition, no flow with the body, those lovely little gears all over the background. Just horrendous. I don't see why the gently caress anyone praised it.

• Locked thread