Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo every single one of those is absolute garbage.

Counterpoint: they are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I just can't believe Jason is still there. I thought his skull was way shittier than Mr Middle of the Road's and I'm really tired of his whining. This whole freaking season is just ugh why do I watch this show.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Jesus that was a load of garbage. I didn't think Aaron would win the whole show, but Cris is now in the final 5 and holy poo poo, how did that even happen?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
That's kind of a cool twist compared to many lame ones.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
When they got to the 30 minute mark and they were doing critiques, I was wondering how they were going to fill in the last 30 mins.I did not like the elimination tattoo, but Chris really should have gone home last week. Kind of excited to see what puts Jason and Mark in losers next week.

MK Velocity
Nov 30, 2014

I had my molar knocked out by a dildo bazooka.
I actually kind of like Jason's tattoos - but I'm also sold by his personality, I just wanna give the dude a hug everytime I see him. But as much as I like his tattoos, I can't see him winning the thing. Cleen's gonna be the one to win it IMO.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
He has the personality of a whiny baby. Every time he has to do the tattoo of the week, he whines about it. Cleen is probably going to take it, but who knows, he might stumble in the finals. I hope they do like abstracts or minimalist tattoos or something. The reaper tattoos were a bit lack luster to me.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Let's be honest, the genuinely gracious and good-mannered contestants are few and far between. Cleen was basically whining himself when he didn't get best tattoo for once.

Once again they had two bottom tattoos that were pretty similar, so it makes me wonder if Cris would have gotten away with it again had he actually shown some fire. But whatever, he should have been gone weeks ago.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Two tattoos so lovely we can't decide a loser, let's have a tattoo-off. Huh, same result, let's decide this on a platitude-off.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

KingsPawn posted:

He has the personality of a whiny baby. Every time he has to do the tattoo of the week, he whines about it. Cleen is probably going to take it, but who knows, he might stumble in the finals. I hope they do like abstracts or minimalist tattoos or something. The reaper tattoos were a bit lack luster to me.

Tbh, it seems like most of the contestants on this show have the personality of a whiny baby. Technically, Cleen is the most consistent, but you saw him completely bitch out and begin whining about how much tougher his canvas was than Jason's. Jason is also half whiny, half conspiracy theorist, but if he has legit anxiety issues this show would be miserable for him.

I kinda liked Chris because he was one of the few that didn't whine. He wasn't great, but he just kinda stood there and took the criticism and didn't stoop to the levels that most competitors are. Cleen just looks like a giant douche at this point.

loving Josh. He had to go gently caress it all up by smoking weed.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm thrilled Chris got called out for always using so much white. I'm surprised he hasn't even figured out in the 8 years that he's been tattooing that there's a short lifespan on white ink.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Physically, Jason reminds me of a grown-up version of Bobby Hill, so I'm alright with him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shath Hole posted:

Cleen just looks like a giant douche at this point.

Yeah, he got WAY too excited about helping Jason to come up with a design that would gently caress over Cris and Mark as much as possible.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Every season I cheer for who I think will win, and as the season progresses and it looks like that person is going to win I start to resent and dislike them. Is that some sort of next level editing, my own deal with success, or just lovely reality TV tropes?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

oneof27 posted:

Every season I cheer for who I think will win, and as the season progresses and it looks like that person is going to win I start to resent and dislike them. Is that some sort of next level editing, my own deal with success, or just lovely reality TV tropes?

Generally speaking a combination of all three. Every time I'm call upon to closed caption the finale of some reality show I always end up rooting for the ones who ultimately lose because they seem less like dicks (During the earlier bits of a reality show season I'll go for whoever's funniest), but I know from working with behind the scenes footage that this is mostly done through the power of creative editing and a metric fuckload, like 90+ minute sessions, of interview footage that ends up pared down to like maybe 2-6 minutes of actual in episode talking head footage on average.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I want Jason to end up in the final 3. I don't think he has a hope of winning it against Cleen but he just seems like an awesome dude from everything I've seen/known about him. And I kinda cheer him on for having an anxiety disorder and going on a show like that anyway.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

moerketid posted:

I want Jason to end up in the final 3. I don't think he has a hope of winning it against Cleen but he just seems like an awesome dude from everything I've seen/known about him. And I kinda cheer him on for having an anxiety disorder and going on a show like that anyway.

Twice

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Bit surprised at Jasons poor tattoo, marks was way out there though. I liked his concept but definitely not his execution.

No surprise cleen is going to the finale, I picked him, Eric and Josh at the start

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Am I the only one who rolled their eyes really hard when the judges only real complaint at Jason was "NOT DYNAMIC!". It looked gorgeous and it seemed like they were just pissed he ignored them.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

OldTennisCourt posted:

Am I the only one who rolled their eyes really hard when the judges only real complaint at Jason was "NOT DYNAMIC!". It looked gorgeous and it seemed like they were just pissed he ignored them.

I agree with Jason that not every tattoo needs to be "in motion." At least he's moving on even if they were a bit pissy about him ignoring them.

Still no chance Kleen doesn't win this.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fejsze posted:

I agree with Jason that not every tattoo needs to be "in motion." At least he's moving on even if they were a bit pissy about him ignoring them.

Still no chance Kleen doesn't win this.

Kleen was so fake with his crying this episode. One second he's in tears about winning and the next it's "JASON'S TATTOO LOOKED LIKE LITERAL poo poo WHAT A loving TOOL"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, his tattoo was fine.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
it's no surprise by now that the judges frequently invent/overstate flaws and then tunnel vision on these imaginary foibles on an inexplicable arbitrary basis.

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but tonight's DORITOS "LIVE" "MAS" "MOMENT" explicitly spoiled the top 3 in the very first commercial of the very first commercial break, lmao

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Time for the live finale.

You know, for a concept that seemed really goofy on paper, this was actually a pretty decent season overall.

Hey there's Sausage.

And what is up with Erik's hair? Mixed reaction for sharp lookin' Cleen.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 17, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

"Merry Ink" next week, and "New Year's Ink" the following week. Both featuring former competitors (looks like 4 an episode,) tattooing for a shot at $10,000. And Josh is back again.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Christ these finales are always so awkward. They barely showed the master canvas tattoos too.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

ayb posted:

Christ these finales are always so awkward. They barely showed the master canvas tattoos too.

They need to tighten up the pacing. Dave is constantly doing the "alright guys, we gotta move on" shtick. Cut down on the recaps of the season and just go right to talking to the artists, that's the whole appeal.

Goon girlfriend! And starring in a show about giving blind tattoos as therapy, ho boy.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003

OmegaBR posted:

They need to tighten up the pacing. Dave is constantly doing the "alright guys, we gotta move on" shtick. Cut down on the recaps of the season and just go right to talking to the artists, that's the whole appeal.

Goon girlfriend! And starring in a show about giving blind tattoos as therapy, ho boy.

The lighting on the stage is so bad too. Their whole faces are in shadows.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
This fake live deliberation is just embarrassing for everyone..

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Wooooow, I'd call that a shocker. Fair points all around, particularly the comparison to the Super Bowl, but Cleen's clearly the better artist. If it wasn't for the added challenge, which they added this season, it likely would have been Cleen hands down.

This Ink Shrinks concept looks completely ridiculous. I don't know how they keep outdoing themselves with these Ink shows.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

Wooooow, I'd call that a shocker. Fair points all around, particularly the comparison to the Super Bowl, but Cleen's clearly the better artist. If it wasn't for the added challenge, which they added this season, it likely would have been Cleen hands down.

This Ink Shrinks concept looks completely ridiculous. I don't know how they keep outdoing themselves with these Ink shows.

I was going to watch it just to see what it was, but I barely got through the intro. Holy poo poo that was some finely crafted pseudoscientific bullshit.

I'm really glad Jason won. Cleen obviously did a better job throughout the competition, but to stand up there and pretend that tattoo was photorealism took some balls.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
That was loving hysterical how he hosed himself out of a hundred grand.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Now that I think about it, he's also probably got his rival Josh to thank, since he was a front runner for the finale himself until the whole contraband thing.

But Jason's a good guy, and he did rise to the new school challenge. Good for him.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
I'm sure Dave was like gently caress, these two jerks giving a split decision. Anyways, I think Cleen really flubbed the entire tattoo. His poo poo was not photorealistic and he could of done a simple hotrod on the guys back and nailing it.

After watching this season, I really agreed more with Oliver and Dave than with Chris. What really cemented it for me was the portrait tattoo. I was kind of hoping that Dave would interview each contestant about all the crazy poo poo this season and to put up their elimination tattoo on the screen for everyone to see. Boy, that would be fun to see. Imagine the cringes as people look at the poo poo tats!

Also did anyone catch the snickering as Dave talked about the furniture competition? I couldn't stop laughing about it.

KingsPawn fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 17, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Hey, what do you know. That was probably the most entertaining finale yet, despite the glaring omission of drawing any attention of Josh's troubles during the awkward, clipped competitor segments. It was somehow steeped with actual suspense despite how foregone the conclusion has seemed the entire back half of the season. Jason's win was actually really energizing to see, and his piece was drat good considering he's probably had next to no new school prowess. I enjoyed watching Cleen's entire reserve of assured confidence instantly evaporate out of his body language the moment he didn't win AMERICA'S "LIVE MAS" VOTE. This one actually came down to the wire for once, and for all the wasted time it did what it intended better than ever before.

Also weird was the unspoken omission of Scott Marshall (though one of those pointless tweets at the beginning was his), and the silent ignorance of other past INK MASTERS in the background. But hey, have the coronation of Sausage as officially sanctioned LIVE MAS "fan favorite", drawing a cute anime Xmas elf any canvas will almost certainly regret by the time June rolls around and it's shorts weather. It's interesting that he's teaming up with Joey Hamilton to open their own shop, whatever that means.

Above all, big shoutout to Dave Navarro for being "most improved" and "least buffoonish staff member". There's a handful of times this season where he's called out inexplicable nonsense from Peck and Nunez, actually playing the voice of reason. And he's finally got this "live hosting" thing down pat after 5 whole attempts. The only truly embarrassing thing he was embroiled in was that stretch of episodes where he wouldn't stop wearing a fat black grandma's church hats to work. Gotta give credit where it's due after justifiably beating up on him for so long!

detectivemonkey posted:

This fake live deliberation is just embarrassing for everyone..
The final call wasn't fake, there's absolutely no way Navarro is good enough of an actor to summon uncertain body language and nervous cold sweats on demand. Also, it was cool and good to watch.

KingsPawn posted:

Also did anyone catch the snickering as Dave talked about the furniture competition? I couldn't stop laughing about it.
Yes. I've been laughing my rear end off about that since the commercial premiered the other week. Common: On Endtables

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 17, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Preview is up for Merry Ink, and the competitors are: James Vaughn from season 1, Jime Litwalk from season 2, Tatu Baby from seasons 2 & 3, Sausage from season 4.

The competitors for New Year's Ink appear to be: Kay Kutta from season 2, Gentle Jay from season 4, Joshua Hibbard from seasons 3 & 5, and one other one I didn't catch.

Basically Chopped, with three elimination tattoos, each judged on two different skills.

Also, Season Six proper is scheduled for 13 episodes in Summer 2015.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 17, 2014

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
I just want to know why the hell Oliver peck went with the blazer and no shirt look. Still trying to decide if it's a step up from the cholo plaid he's been wearing all season...

Sausage's new shop is pretty cool. They opened a few months back, it's in the Miracle Mile shops at Planet Hollywood. Only thing is, with a location like that, it's all going to be poo poo, drunk tourist flash pieces, and not large custom work, unless people fly back regularly. Don't remember the exact prices, but they're also retardedly expensive.

Would continue but we have to move on...

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The final call wasn't fake, there's absolutely no way Navarro is good enough of an actor to summon uncertain body language and nervous cold sweats on demand. Also, it was cool and good to watch.

Seriously? You watched that and thought "this is very realistic and certainly genuine"? Besides the fact that I don't buy for a second the idea that they knew what the tattoos looked like before they went on stage but didn't figure out who won.

Maybe I'm just way too cynical?

I totally agree about Josh that was weird as poo poo. I wish they'd talked more to the loser panel. They definitely did it less than in previous finales and relied on clips more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fejsze posted:

I just want to know why the hell Oliver peck went with the blazer and no shirt look. Still trying to decide if it's a step up from the cholo plaid he's been wearing all season...

Maybe not a step up but definitely a step back. Wayyyyy back ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I was kind of underwhelmed by Cleen and Erik's final piece. If I had to wear any of them I'd prefer Jason's. Good on him for winning this thing, anxiety and all!

Man, that Ink Shrink show was a complete and utter joke.

• Locked thread