Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Elerion posted:

Italy, Germany, Spain and France all have a significantly larger share of domestic players in their top league, allowing young players far better opportunities to develop. The best players get siphoned into the 2-3 best teams and then go play in european competition.

Norway's greatest modern footballing generation (for what that's worth) came up during the '90s, at a time when nearly all the players in the top division were domestic, and the league was dominated by a single team. These days the title is changing hands every year, the league is dominated by foreign players, and the national team is poo poo.

Sound familiar?

Correlation doesn't equal causation, and it is possible that better youth development leads to more domestic players in the domestic league. I tend to think it's the other way around, though.

English teams absolutely dominated in Europe from the late 1970's till the European ban at a time where every team was made up of 90% British players, and the English teams of then did no better than they do now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's a mix of both coaching problems and thus a lack of domestic players in the top flight.

Doesn't help that good players at unfashionable clubs get overlooked either.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Some Premier League streaming operation got shut down in Manchester.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-bust-illegal-premier-league-4150731

The article mentions that streaming costs the TV industry £10 million each year. Doesn't seem like much to me. Just over half a Welbeck

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Elerion posted:

Italy, Germany, Spain and France all have a significantly larger share of domestic players in their top league, allowing young players far better opportunities to develop. The best players get siphoned into the 2-3 best teams and then go play in european competition.

:can:

How are these countries different than England? It is openly admitted English players are over priced in the English transfer market and almost no English players play abroad.

Italy, Germany, and Spain all built incredible identities around tactics. Italy has been using a version of their system before most posters were born. Spain is built off of Tiki-Taka, and Low/Klinssman reinvented Germany to a offensive powerhouse.

What is England's tactical identity? The top clubs in England can maximize the English talent, but why not the national manager?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Spain were shite for ages, got good briefly and are now shite again.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
It's absolutely a coaching issue. There's no surprise that the nations that made big leaps and bounds (first Spain then Germany) did so by spending a poo poo load of cash getting more coaches better training. I remember seeing somewhere that during their peak Spain had, depending on their qualification level, 5-15 times as many trained youth coaches as there were in England. Then I think the Germans went even more extreme and blew those numbers out of the water. For all the talk of "grass roots football" it's hard to beat lots of well trained professionals working with kids from a young age to develop the fundamental skills properly.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Elerion posted:

Norway's greatest modern footballing generation (for what that's worth) came up during the '90s, at a time when nearly all the players in the top division were domestic, and the league was dominated by a single team. These days the title is changing hands every year, the league is dominated by foreign players, and the national team is poo poo.

Sound familiar?

Correlation doesn't equal causation, and it is possible that better youth development leads to more domestic players in the domestic league. I tend to think it's the other way around, though.

It has nothing to do with foreigners. It has everything to do with the vast majority of academies being total garbage and how poo poo the system is for small clubs who actually produce a talented player rarely.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ninpo posted:

Doesn't help that good players at unfashionable clubs get overlooked either.

Shawcross/Noble/Delph/Howson would have won us the world cup.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
It's no one issue. Just take a punt on fixing the coaching by drilling players in a system from the ground up because it's actually doable and don't knee jerk if it doesn't pay off quickly. That's all that can be done really.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

sebzilla posted:

Shawcross/Noble/Delph/Howson would have won us the world cup.

Not with Hodgson managing, he's shithouse.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I want to see England institute a coherent system.

Bring Pulis in.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

K U N T Z posted:

Not with Hodgson managing, he's shithouse.
How times have changed.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

TheBigAristotle posted:

The article mentions that streaming costs the TV industry £10 million each year. Doesn't seem like much to me. Just over half a Welbeck

Seems kind of oddly low, those types of piracy figures are usually inflated.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Primpod posted:

It's no one issue. Just take a punt on fixing the coaching by drilling players in a system from the ground up because it's actually doable and don't knee jerk if it doesn't pay off quickly. That's all that can be done really.

just spend more resources on educating more/better youth coaches. do like the dutch who show up in every wc final but have a population of like 15 million

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

By all accounts the transfer poo poo during Moyes'reign was in spite of Moyes' best efforts, not because of them. So watch what happens as United glide to a smooth 6th place finish this year, because that's what would have happened.
As funny as Moyes failure was, it doesn't seem fair to blame him for Fellani fiasco and I have to think he would have finished higher with access to the kind of money LVG has gotten (and the Dutchman is off to an even worse start than Moyes).

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Falcao is a little short for a center back imo.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Not to mention that the 'cost' attributed to streaming is probably calculated the same way downloads were at the height of the RIAA persecution of people that had downloaded 'It's in his kiss' on Limewire. Number of people streaming does is not equal to number of people that would be otherwise subscribing, and streaming has provided access to a far vaster audience than ever before, which has no doubt added value to deals like MU's new shirt.

It all evens out in the end.

corpuscollossus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 3, 2014

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Primpod posted:

Coaching badges in the UK are loving horrendously expensive too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

corpuscollossus posted:

Not to mention that the 'cost' attributed to streaming is probably calculated the same way downloads were at the height of the RIAA persecution of people that had downloaded 'It's in his kiss' on Limewire. Number of people streaming does is not equal to number of people that would be otherwise subscribing, and streaming has provided access to a far vaster audience than ever before, which has no doubt added value to deals like MU's new shirt.

It all evens out in the end.

I'm surprised they didn't assume for calculation purposes that every single stream was a full-cost season ticket not sold!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Modus Trollens posted:

I do wonder what would have happened had it been all Moyes on transfer front - 50m on Baines?

Well that would have actually been a sensible buy

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

webmeister posted:

I'm surprised they didn't assume for calculation purposes that every single stream was a full-cost season ticket not sold!

The RIAA would have assumed four people on the sofa who would have all bought a season ticket, two hotdogs, a burger a program and four drinks, plus all visited the club shop. At Arsenal. I'm the club level because normal fan season tickets are on a waiting list system.

Yes your honour. That stream of Hull v Sunderland cost the premiership more than the GDP of the UK. And it's happening ten times a week thanks to monsters like the plaintiff!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ninpo posted:

Coaching badges in the UK are loving horrendously expensive too.

Maybe they should spend some time coaching players instead of badges haha

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Danny Welbeck hasn't scored many goals in his career I don't see what the fuss is about?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Maybe they should spend some time coaching players instead of badges haha

cull english players imo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fat Lowtax posted:

I want to see England institute a coherent system.

Bring Pulis in.
I don't think they're ready for another foreign manager

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Pissflaps posted:

Danny Welbeck hasn't scored many goals in his career I don't see what the fuss is about?

1 in 4 or less at every club hes been at, i dont think hes very good

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

tbp posted:

just looked it up and he even had 1 in 4 at PNE wtf

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tbp posted:

He's OK.

But he's no big shakes.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

tbp posted:

How was Sturridge at Chelsea?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Sturridge at Chelsea was still better than Welbeck at Man united

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
I believe in Danny he deserves a chance to play regularly up front in a team with a competent midfield who can actually create chances. If he still misses most of them all then well they've got two Olivier Girouds.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

TelekineticBear! posted:

Sturridge at Chelsea was still better than Welbeck at Man united

I'm craving some advanced stats.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

ephex posted:

let me pull up my DZBTS CASHZ spreadsheet

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

ephex posted:

I would be surprised if there were many people that would chose Welbeck over Sturridge.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

I would be surprised if there were many people that would chose Welbeck over Sturridge.

Enter Roy Hodgson

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Welbeck isn't as good as Sturridge obviously but he's decent and I think a new start at a top club ("but he went to Arsenal" jokes notwithstanding) will see him improve a fair bit

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ewar Woowar posted:

They might have done a couple of years ago

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I woulkd have had Welbeck over Sturridge before Sturridge went to Liverpool, amazing what a consistant run in the team does for a player.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

The Big Taff Man posted:

I woulkd have had Welbeck over Sturridge before Sturridge went to Liverpool, amazing what a consistant run in the team does for a player.

I thought Welbeck has played a lot for you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Lots of people making fun of Welbeck, not enough making fun of the fact that we're literally one injury away (if Koscielny doesn't recover over the break) from playing Nacho Monreal at centre-back and Flamini at full-back.

• Locked thread