Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's not a completely unreasonable point that there's a big shortage of quality defenders around at the moment, and even fewer that are available to buy. There's a reason David Luiz cost £50m and someone as unproven as Mangala cost £35m or whatever it was.

But they should have at least bought some middling defenders for cover rather than just buying no-one and relying on Tyler Blackett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

This didn't get enough lols for my liking. You're dropping the ball, TRP.

IDGI, he's 23, has two seasons as first choice at Porto and has 3 France caps. He may have been highly rated, but he's definitely unproven for a player that is now the second or third most expensive defender of all time.

Also I get that pretending you watch every league in world tootball is a TRP thing but I doubt most posters here had ever heard his name before the day he was announced for City.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ninpo posted:

The reasons he gave?

On the evidence of one match against Chelsea he seems a decent buy, but it wasn't that long ago Nastasic was amazing and a worthy partner for Kompany. It's not unreasonable to suggest he was a risk given where he's played up until now, the difference between the two leagues (remember how great Luiz managed to look as a defender in Portugal) and his age.

Yeah I'm not saying he's bad or won't turn out to be worth the money. He looked fantastic against Chelsea.

Just that it's indicative of the shortage of talent available at the position that someone of his age and experience can command a transfer fee higher than Thiago Silva.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Gate stewards tend to be pretty lax if you don't look dodgy.

No alcohol in the stands rules are enforced very strictly though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Serious question - is it still really necessary? I know there used to be lots of problems with firms and what not (actually read a great book about it - Among the Thugs by Bill Buford) but was under the impression that has mellowed out a lot. Is there ever a chance this gets done away with or is it more or less permanently ingrained in English football culture at this point?

I think it's a total waste of time. It just means people get tanked up quickly by downing beers before the game/during halftime rather than drinking more slowly throughout.

It wouldn't be passed now, but since it exists it would require someone to do the work to get it repealed and no-one seems inclined. I'm surprised the clubs haven't tried harder as it surely hurts their match day earnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Non-specific rumours of 'substantial US investment' floating around the liberty.

Would you want this? Swansea seem like the best run club in the league already.

• Locked thread