Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm going to call them Man Utd to show how little it surprises me that said mid table club is struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Borini looked pretty good for Sunderland and he's only 23. Rodgers wasn't playing him because he was hoping to force him out, but I think Borini's certainly in the reckoning to play out wide.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Judging by that nipple are we sure this wasn't a fappening leaked pic?

The hack was at an awards ceremony, so I think Welbeck's pics are safe.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

How many top players have come through United's ranks since the good crop all arrived at once?

Wayne "one-club-man" Rooney for starters

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

To be fair any supporters would be entitled if their club had developed players as good as the Class of 92 and had as much sustained success under one manager as Man Utd have had.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

tbp posted:

He really was loving good wasn't he the old bastard

I said this last season and everyone was like "no Moyes is just awful, the squad is world class"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

If anything the instant implosion with basically the same set of players (plus decent on paper signings) has secured him the title of best ever imo.

So does that make O'Leary 2nd best?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

This joke started as funny and now has predictably been run in to the ground. No more "pooshited" in serious threads, you can thank Earthy Ape Unit for ruining everyone's fun.

e: Still allowed in gdt's because those are a free for all anyway.

Can we use "in the bin" in reference to Man Utd? At least until they are out of the bottom half of the table?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

not not luvd posted:

Weirdly I'm really happy with Welbeck.

Yeah but you'd be happy with Ali Dia.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Arsenal fans are also the easiest to impress. As long as your name isn't Kieran Richardson then they will be excited by your arrival.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Probably because Fergie saw "winning the league" as a more desirable goal than "playing Danny Wellbeck".

Lucky for Danny that Wenger feels differently

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

K U N T Z posted:

People comparing Welbeck to Sturridge when he went to Liverpool need to consider that Sturridge had Suarez to learn from, Welbz has a broken Giroud, lmao

One of my favorite dumb supporter things is the desire to have old players around to "mentor" young players.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

lol jovetic's knees gone again, it was a nice six week run but rip

check his wife's bag, when things go missing around albanians thats usually where they are

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Can't they just fine them like £5m and relegate Sheffield United instead?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

the escape goat posted:

have there been any teams in the past who had to leave their home grounds for a bit who still did rather well, or do teams usually fall off a bit if they're kind of perpetually an away team?

I don't know why but I get the feeling that Spurs will cope just fine with be expelled from their home.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

This is real funny and I look back and curse, but tbh Fergie was never bullied by agents and Pogbas agent wanted 60k a week and a 5 mil signing on fee for himself.

I thought it was 300k a week and £100m

quote:

It feels like Newcastle fans want rid of Pardew, but don't actually want to replace him with anyone. It's an interesting approach.

Only way to win is not to play.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Is this a serious post?

As serious and truthful as the claims that came from Man Utd and SAF regarding what Pogba was demanding.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

as his agent was demanding near double what established first team youth prospects were on. Then went off to Juve and agreed a deal for much less.

hmm yes tell me more

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

And set a record for most consecutive minutes without conceding a goal with a defense of Flamini, Toure, senderos, and eboue.

It's too bad the window closed already. Wenger could've put that defense back together for like £5 to see if it would work again.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Shroud posted:

So he'll be a world-beater once he goes to a good club?

I think he means that Lloris is being played out of position.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Would it be legal to have a tax on the transfer fee and/or the salary of non-EU players? Seems like that would be a good solution that wouldn't just result in smaller clubs getting screwed.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Limiting premier league clubs to a maximum of 5 loans would do more to help than this.

You would also have to ban buy back agreements, owners controlling more than one club and probably first refusal clauses.

Keep in mind the main reason Chelsea are ruining football with loans is so they can raise enough money to compete with Man Utd, Barca and Real Madrid.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

FFP rules say that Real Madrid can spend €200m more per season than Chelsea. Roman gotta make that up somehow.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lot 49 posted:

No they don't.

Chelsea has trouble getting noodle sponsors like Man Utd or sweetheart middle eastern sponsors like City. What would you suggest they do?

quote:

And even if they did buying so many players that you have to pay them to play for other clubs isn't going to help.

Exactly how did buying and selling Lukaku, Mata, David Luiz and de Bruyne not help?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Noted loan stars Juan Mata and David Luiz

You're right it's not exactly the same, but Luiz and Mata were young players who could've ended up not adapting to the league and having to go out on loan like Lukaku, Romeu, van Ginkel, or Moses.

Remember that Wenger refused to go over like £15m for Mata and everyone thought £25m for Luiz was crazy.

I don't think the Chelsea system is good for football, but you can't deny its a good racket.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

They were full Brazilian and Spanish internationals and Lukaku adapted to the premier league years ago, you mentalist.

Everyone gets caps for Brazil and Luiz had 4 when Chelsea bought him, and iirc all were friendlies.

And Mata had 10 caps, mostly because Spain rested the Barcelona contingent whenever possible.

And Lukaku didn't work out under AVB, which is what I was referring to.

Not sure what's so controversial about saying that Chelsea were taking a chance buying those players.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Myssu posted:

Would have got a lot more for him if we'd sold him to Barcelona last summer though.

I wonder if Liverpool would've sold him last summer if they could've done it without the supporters turning on the board and Rodgers.

£13m sounds good in hindsight, but it probably would've taken something like £25m for Liverpool fans to put away their pitchforks.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Has Pellegrini always been this snippy or is it England warping his mind?

He used to be more bubbly but now he's fizzled and lost his sparkle.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

There can be no argument that Rodgers says the dumbest stuff week in and week out of any premier league manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

its actually the washington generals, the senators dont exist any more.

• Locked thread