Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should the US Age of Consent be raised to 21?
Dear Editor, kids these days don't deserve to have sex until they're at least 21. Also, they should stop playing so much loud hip-hop music and get a job!
18 years old is perfectly reasonable.
What, are you nuts? 18 is bad enough. If anything, AOC should be brought back down to 16 (Mods please fwd the list of users who pick this option to the FBI).
What did we tell you about lurking moar, Applewhite?
View Results

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Age of Consent is a somewhat arbitrary number. While it depends partially upon the onset of puberty, it has much more to do with societal standards of "emotional maturity." Currently, 18 is, for the most part, the age at which American society recognizes an individual has probably achieved that required level of emotional maturity.

Back in the day, age of consent was 14-16. That might have been alright for a time when it was also okay for kids to bring guns to school because there was a real possibility they might have to defend themselves from a hostile animal or Native American on their way back home. It also made a little bit of sense because you had to start having kids super early because 70% of them would die of dysentery before the age of 2.

A little later, the child mortality rate got better and age of consent was raised to 18 (in most states). That's worked out okay up to this point, especially back when 18 year olds were going off to fight and die in Europe and Vietnam.

Back when I was 18, I agreed with the assessment that I was mature enough to handle sex. However, looking back as I've grown older, I've come to realize that all teenagers are immature, stupid little shits (especially millenialls) and that any age that ends in "teen" doesn't have anywhere near the required emotional maturity to have sex. Twenty year-olds are basically teenagers anyway so I say to Hell with it, let's just raise the age of consent to 21, right up there with the legal drinking age.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
gross fat americans you should raise the consent age to 60 so we dont have to see anymore fat rednecks on vacation

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

as i've gotten older, the thought of a 16-year-old piloting a 4000lbs of metal at 70mph has gotten more unsettling

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I think age of consent should be 4.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
create a test that determines if you are smart enough to make your own choices in this society and create two classes based on who passes or fails.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
YES MEANS YES, asswipe. Be it implied consent, consent decree, or consensual consensus.
But in your case op it's safe to assume the age of consent is never. Ever.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
all consent is rape

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
age of consent is 15 here in Sweden:gerty:

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
yeah but molesting children is legal in sweden, so its whatever

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

sweden yes

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
You're just pissed 'cause you never got laid in high school (or ever).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
for ur infos, all of europe is pretty teenfriendly

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jesus Christ posted:

You're just pissed 'cause you never got laid in high school (or ever).

That has nothing to do with this!

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
didn't read, voted lurk more

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Age of consent should be :gas:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Zzulu posted:

lol @ Yemen. "9 is cool, but 8? That's just gross!"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's a waste of time to slapfight over the age of consent in the US when the more pressing issue is over 50% of the population thinks sex should be only for procreation

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Only if you are married.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
sex is BAD! :wth:

if aatrek lived in yemen (or europe), he'd still be considered an okay standup guy

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Zzulu posted:

green is better than red so, yemen ftw imo

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

the prophet mohammad (pubh) hosed his youngest 9 year old wife, yemen is the only country shielded by allahs mercy. takbir

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Bring back shooting injuns.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Spiderjelly posted:

Bring back shooting injuns.

Not likely to happen as long as they're endangered.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

age of consent is 12 in vatican city

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

And there's no law about age of consent in Saudi Arabia and Oman. Mods?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LifeSizePotato posted:

as i've gotten older, the thought of a 16-year-old piloting a 4000lbs of metal at 70mph has gotten more unsettling

Now think about how they can legally get pilots licenses as young as 14..

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
This thread is going to devolve into an uber creepy honeypot... :ohdear:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LCL-Dead posted:

Ironically, piloting an aircraft is actually somewhat easier than driving in traffic.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

LCL-Dead posted:

that's 16 too

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Ironically, piloting an aircraft is actually somewhat easier than driving in traffic.

True, however, I am still more afraid of a 14 year old behind a stick and throttle than I am of a 16 year old behind a wheel, riding on four more of them.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

that's 16 too

But they can start earning their hours as young as 12.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This potato makes some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LcatLdYems

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
iM gay

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
How come you can decide the destiny of the country (by voting) & die for the country in the military at 18, but you're not responsible

enough to drink a beer until you're 21 ?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

How come you can decide the destiny of the country (by voting) & die for the country in the military at 18, but you're not responsible

I think military and voting should be raised to 21 as well, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Decebal posted:

cause americans are really retarded.

I support 21 though. It's better this way. instead of getting piss out black drunk during highschool, they do it during college and burn through their student loan money (which makes them more likely to work at jobs serving me coffee and checking out my items at a store) and overdrink and risk killing themselves (a good thing). it's like natural selection

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 2, 2014

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Decebal posted:

Whats the general age before one can buy a gun over there in jesusland?

Not being able to drink till 21 is dumb, it's 18 here.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

LCL-Dead posted:

True, however, I am still more afraid of a 14 year old behind a stick and throttle than I am of a 16 year old behind a wheel, riding on four more of them.

But they can start earning their hours as young as 12.

but no solo/PIC until 16. like guns, they can start young but it is only dangerous if their instructor is dumb as gently caress.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm of the more insane opinion that everyone should be sterilized a birth then unsterilized at 21 when they pass a competency exam. Age of consent can remain the same at 18, but if kids gently caress up like they're wont to do, the consequences won't be so dire.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

theperminator posted:

Whats the general age before one can buy a gun over there in jesusland?

Not being able to drink till 21 is dumb, it's 18 here.

by federal law licensed dealers can't sell to anyone under 18, but anyone can transfer ownership of a rifle or shotgun to anyone of any age unless prohibited by state law (many states have no such law)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'm of the more insane opinion that everyone should be sterilized a birth then unsterilized at 21 when they pass a competency exam. Age of consent can remain the same at 18, but if kids gently caress up like they're wont to do, the consequences won't be so dire.

Hmm. I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Locked thread