Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
my creative writting clas was being locked in my bedroom for a couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I wrote a story about a guy who got drunk and picked a fight with the lightweight boxing champion of the world. He got his rear end beat and it got recorded and it went viral so he was sitting in the hospital watching all these people on the news and internet laughing at him and poo poo.

There was a guy in my class that no matter what kind of assignment it was he would use it to whine about how his girlfriend left him for another guy and generally being a beta bitch.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I wrote a story back in freshman year about a kid who was going to start shooting people in his class, but before he commits he realizes that everything is going to be ok. The twist is that the teacher breaks from everyone in the class being a bunch of assholes and starts shooting everyone. I remember laughing so hard while reading it in front of the class I could barely finish reading. When I was done I sat down and my teacher said, "Okay...That...was interesting." This was a couple years before Columbine.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
In 3rd grade I wrote a story about how there were 100 snakes and I had to kill all the snakes using tools such as a baseball bat and a humvee. Culminated in a great final boss fight with the snake. Full of plot holes. This was for the eqao which is some government testing thing.

Astrofig posted:

In elementary school we had an annual 'author day' where everyone would write and illustrate a story and it would get bound into these cheap-rear end cloth-covered books and then there'd be a picnic where we'd share them. I wrote about a stuck-up spider who was hated by her entire class (at spider school, of course) because she was a show-off and did everything better than the others. I don't remember what comeuppance I finally gave her.

My book in the book picnic was some awesome book called "man of war" it was about pirates and had awesome professionally photoshopped pictures in it because the school computers had Photoshop and of course I was the master. Probably still have it somewhere

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

For my college creative writing class I wrote a sci-fi detective story that was pretty alright and had lots of super derivative cyberpunk elements and the ending scene revealed that it took place on the moon!! not bad for a 5 page final assignment, I got an A

my friend in the class wrote 17 pages of anime fanfiction for the assignment

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I don't think I ever took a creative writing class. I'm not sure why I didn't have to.

e: although in Spanish class I did write a story about how an American college professor escaped being raped/murdered by throwing a sausage in his attacker's mouth. I got an A for that.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Went to Hell posted:

I found a copy of the story. Here's the last paragraph from the 2,000+ word document:

And here's an example of one of her dream sequences:

the words are doing bad things make them stop :qq:

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
My friend once wrote a short story that featured three fictional characters plus one based on my roommate. The professor commented that it was a great story excepting my roommate, that character was too unrealistic.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
My friend who took a creative writing class told me that one of the people there wrote self-insert bioshock fanfiction and then flipped out when people didn't like it

i'm far too self-conscious to ever take a crative writing class myself

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
11th grade engish

We had to do a first person POV piece with any character from Things Fall Apart. I wrote about the one kid that died (don't remember not gonna wiki it) he decomposed/got eaten so it was from the POV of the plants and the animals that ate him.

It was pretty gay and I wish I hadn't deleted it so I could laugh at it now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My friend wrote a short story where there was a guy who lived the most boring and unfulfilling life ever. Until one day he goes to his bank and a guy tries to rob it. So he finally loses it and mouths off to the robber and gets shot. As he's laying there dying he thinks to himself "this is the greatest day of my life"

His teacher gave him a D because he didn't get it

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I once wrote an ironic self insertion story for class that featured a character named after myself having a severe psychotic break after the death of his mother. The professor didn't get it and after I informed her it was a joke her critique switched from encouraging complements to needling little insults. I was pretty disheartened at the time but reflecting on her self defensiveness I'm going to call it a success.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011

Rad Tad posted:

I took grammar lessons instead of creative writing :smith:

If you read my previous post, you'll see that you made the right decision.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Keep this thread alive for 2 days I got a folder at home filled with creative writing submissions

Grammar class might actually teach you something important IMO

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 4, 2014

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

CharlestonJew posted:

My friend wrote a short story where there was a guy who lived the most boring and unfulfilling life ever. Until one day he goes to his bank and a guy tries to rob it. So he finally loses it and mouths off to the robber and gets shot. As he's laying there dying he thinks to himself "this is the greatest day of my life"

His teacher gave him a D because he didn't get it

And that friend's name was Tobias Wolff

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
Nothing can possibly top the story from that creative writing thread years ago. Where the guy kept getting the story from a class mate and posting it on the forums.

The whole story was like some massive epic that stole things directly from every science fiction property of all time whether they were good or not. The aliens where called like the Flareness or something and the first chapter is filled with great lines like "The brave space marine screamed in terror and ran away at the sight of the aliens!"

It was basically a Halo fan fiction written by a man with a third grader's grasp of spelling and grammar.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Lowtax's dick was really hard.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Inevitable posted:

Lowtax's dick

A truly short story :rimshot:

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Went to Hell posted:

A few years ago at my university, I took an online creative writing class, where it turned out that having a basic grasp on grammar and sentence structure meant you were already ahead. Towards the end of the program, we had to read over and critique a classmate's final short story, offer encouragement, critique, and ask questions that would provoke new ideas for the writer. My assignment was a photography major's wank fantasy about her perfect, special little Sunday.

Spelling and grammar issues aside, the story is just plain boring. It opens with a news story about a little boy disappearing on a beach, then shifts to this hip, young, lovably clumsy redhead getting out of bed late in the morning. Then the story goes into meticulous detail about exactly what kind of bedsheets our hero sleeps on, exactly what she eats for breakfast that morning, exactly how adorable her pet dog is, etc.

Anyway, turns out our protagonist is a professional photographer (did I mention the writer was a photography major?). The story turns into an in-depth travelogue of our hero enjoying an ideal day, going to the beach, playing with her dog, and photographing people. She remarks that right after photographing these people, they're nowhere to be seen. She then rides the subway home, photographs a passing subway cart, and gets ready for HER DEBUT ART GALLERY OPENING! With lots of important people there, who all agree how great her art is, how the artist really CAPTURES the subject's essence. Everybody loves her work and wants to talk to her, but her REAL friends are all there to show her support, and after the show they all go out for drinks and have a good time.

The next morning, our hero awakes, turns on the TV, and sees a news report about how the people she photographed on the beach are all gone, and how an entire subway cart full of people just disappeared. Finally, she realizes that she's actually been kidnapping people with her magic camera, and the story ends.

That's it. No resolution, no real conflict, just idle daydreaming about a professional gallery photographer's life, with a bad Twilight Zone episode stapled onto it.

All throughout the story, our protagonist has weird daydream hallucinations, where everything turns whimsical and magical. I guess it's meant to be endearing, but it just comes off as padding.

Mind you, this was our final assignment, the culmination of all the writing we'd been doing for the past four months.

Fake edit:
I found a copy of the story. Here's the last paragraph from the 2,000+ word document:

And here's an example of one of her dream sequences:

hm u seem to have mistaken dis thread for creative writing class

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

E1M1 posted:

And that friend's name was Tobias Wolff

Wasn't that story more "Main dude can't take bank robbers seriously because of how clichéd their threats are and gets shot for it and has some flashbacks of his childhood while the bullet is traveling through his brain." rather than "sad sack tries to be a hero and gets killed and thinks it is awesome" like that dudes friend wrote?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the only person in class to have a title page on his story wrote about an attorney who comes home from a case on the other side of the country to find his wife loving his best friend. in the course of an afternoon he renounces both of them, and then decides they're alright once they give him a nice new phone and a box of bath soaps

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

lots of weird rear end pyscho killer bullshit i tell you what

also a fair amount of "guy and girl are in love but their famil dont get along"

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i wrote this post

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I adapted the entirety of Killer Angels: A Novel of the Civil War to a futuristic setting where the "North" was an assortment of my favorite characters from entertainment mediums, and the "South" was comprised of gay technophiles and their army of perpetually-prepubescent Chinese conscripts.

quote:

The young Chinese conscript rode into the dark of the woods and dismounted from his electric horse. He got down on his smooth, yellow stomach and began crawling through the cool mud; his snake-like body made sexual sounds as he deftly slithered through the goop, flexing and writhing, lean muscles taut beneath his flawless oriental skin.

Suddenly he emerged from filthy underbelly of the woods, finding himself on the edge of a perilous overlook. Beneath him was a vast army, filling the valley of Saint Fernando like a smoking river. He then produced a pair of ornate brass opera glasses and, using the slender handle that was affixed to them, brought the lenses to his face so that he might peer through them.

Ich. Ni. San. Shi... his sweaty, muddy grip slipped on the handle and he readjusted; he held the rod in his nimble hands and felt strangely reassured by its firmness.

So many flags! he thought to himself. There must have been twenty thousand men down there in that valley. He could make out the brilliant royal blue banners of Sonic's Hedgehogs, the banana-yellow skin of Springfieldians, and even the unmistakable flexing of Vin Diesel.

For a moment he found himself transfixed by the latter, who was wearing a dark ribbed tank top that was so tight against his brawn, it was impossible to tell where the fabric ended and the rippling tan flesh began. The spy sighed. Vin Diesel was only 5'4", but he was positively gigantic.

He continued to watch as Vin Diesel practiced fighting with two over-sized karambits. Because of the wielder's size, it was difficult to tell how large they were, but his shrewd Asian mind calculated that they were easily a meter long and made of shimmering gold. Vin Diesel spun his body and swung them and kicked and pirouetted; he turned into a living bullet and launched himself at imaginary foes; he surely won each and every one of these battles--these complex dances of death--of that, the spy had no doubt.

As he watched, Vin Diesel seemed to grow weary of the harsh red sun that beat down on them both, for he reached over his shoulders and peeled the tank top off of his glistening, bulging muscles. The spy nearly fainted right there and then, but he forced himself to persevere. Then he meditated over the fact that "persevere" and "perverse" were so similar.

Persevere. Perverse. Could that be more than coincidence?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 4, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
"oh no!" said the dead dog

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

the culminator posted:

11th grade engish

We had to do a first person POV piece with any character from Things Fall Apart. I wrote about the one kid that died (don't remember not gonna wiki it) he decomposed/got eaten so it was from the POV of the plants and the animals that ate him.

It was pretty gay and I wish I hadn't deleted it so I could laugh at it now

Ours was rewriting a chapter of The Great Gatsby from someone else's perspective; I redid the ending as Daisy and the teacher liked it so much she asked to keep it as an example.

But yeah, it probably actually sucked fairly hard.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I won a bunch of awards as a kid writer which in retrospect was one of the worse things to happen to me since it convinced me to become a writer and live the writer's life instead of making millions of dollars being normal. And as an adult, I'm not that interesting a writer.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i wrote about a spider named spid

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
In second grade my friend wrote a story about Donkey Kong Country which was basically just him playing through a level collecting kong tokens and poo poo then he tried to get it published.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
"poo poo," he said shittily.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011

ilikedirt posted:

hm u seem to have mistaken dis thread for creative writing class

Hey man, the thread title said to share stories from creative writing class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Mines too big too post here but please review

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/994/1/Triumph-of-the-Retart

• Locked thread