Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
72o
Dec 14, 2007

I'm just thinking how cool this franchise would be in 20 years when we have actual artificial intelligence deciding what Napoleon is gonna do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
for me to poop on

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

turn based is for babies

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
and it'll still take your quantum computer minutes to take the AIs turn

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I'm hoping beyond earth will be really good without having to wait for any expansion packs, but I know better.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Saalkin posted:

turn based is for babies

No it's great, I can post between building an observatory and attacking Ethiopia you see

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
My beef with it is the computer cheats at higher difficulties rather then getting better. If you try to be diplomatic they make completely unreasonable decisions unless you pay them everything you've got. It's annoying as gently caress.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Ramsus posted:

My beef with it is the computer cheats at higher difficulties rather then getting better. If you try to be diplomatic they make completely unreasonable decisions unless you pay them everything you've got. It's annoying as gently caress.

Yeah it sort of sucks. And I don't really want to memorize a Civ wiki page to figure out how likely another civ is to do agressive actions on a scale of 1 to 10 in place of getting more detailed feedback in-game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

for me to poop on

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
i was just playing this game ealrier today so this thread is relevant to my sad lonely life and i'm awaiting further developments

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
civ2 is superior because of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEccQp15dWQ

in-game movie videos

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

havent played it

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

havent played it

You should try it, even if you don't play video games

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i just bought it

e: a couple of days ago. not because of op

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Civ 2: a call to arms was the most fun.

Stopped playing after civ 3 bc I no longer have endless hours to spend playing video games, too old, too little time left here, life is too short for that etc. :(

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
i wonder how the civ2 actors' careers have played out

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

is it as good as skyrim??

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I like it but I'm bad at it

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Civ 2: a call to arms was the most fun.

Stopped playing after civ 3 bc I no longer have endless hours to spend playing video games, too old, too little time left here, life is too short for that etc. :(

Because it's turn based it's really the only game I play nowadays, and it doesn't shut down when I put my laptop to sleep mode

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i like to play civ 5 on the second lowest difficulty and play the build a pretty empire game then quit when i reach industrialization

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

72o posted:

You should try it, even if you don't play video games

idk i played civ 4, i dont think its really my thing

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ramsus posted:

this is why alpha centauri is so good, because the AI does this way less

at least I remember the gaming being real good at letting you play civs against each other and poo poo.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

72o posted:

Because it's turn based it's really the only game I play nowadays, and it doesn't shut down when I put my laptop to sleep mode

My freshman year at UMASS my friend stayed on my computer playing civ for almost 48 hours straight, no sleep just beers and bong hits and the lovely food we'd steal from the dining hall for him. He peed in the mop sink across the hall so he wouldn't have to go too far... :ohdear: he had never really played it before.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
civ is what i play when i'm tired of total war, but if i didn't get tired of total war i'd rather be playing that

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
civ v is a bad game for idiots

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
civ is great if ur a big babby who cant play eu.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

civ is what i play when i'm tired of total war, but if i didn't get tired of total war i'd rather be playing that

That's all my brother plays now and he's a lawyer with kids, dunno which end of the candle he burns to get that free time

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baracula posted:

EU is also a badgame

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Baracula posted:

paradox poo poo is boring as hell

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

SickZip posted:

EU is also a badgame

:allears: you sound like an edgy badass

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SickZip posted:

EU is also a badgame

do ypur posts play eu

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like Civ5 but god drat do I suck at it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the eu games would be so much better if they werent made by swedes but maybe swedes are the only ppl awful enough to make a game like that

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Luvcow posted:

My freshman year at UMASS my friend stayed on my computer playing civ for almost 48 hours straight, no sleep just beers and bong hits and the lovely food we'd steal from the dining hall for him. He peed in the mop sink across the hall so he wouldn't have to go too far... :ohdear: he had never really played it before.

Haha, yeah, this game will ruin your life.

Its worse than an MMO, at least MMOs are about being social with other weirdos. Civ is about sitting there for days pressing a button and then telling all your friends about your awesome Alternate History. Like, in your world, the Dutch are a desert-worshipping tribe that founded Confucianism and then it spread through the entire continent, after they wiped out the Catholic Iroquois in a Holy Crusade.

Well, you won't HAVE friends after a few playthroughs. But you can tell your cat about it. Wait the cat died. Well anyway it's time to start a new game. This time as the Maya.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
weird how sweden always overtake their regional rivals in eu

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

EU4 is a good game but there was too much micromanaging poo poo for my taste

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I don't know why playing civ 5 seems like the most tedious thing in the world, but it does.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I played Civ 5 for hours with my friends on release day. We made it to turn 4.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Its worse than an MMO, at least MMOs are about being social with other weirdos. Civ is about sitting there for days pressing a button and then telling all your friends about your awesome Alternate History. Like, in your world, the Dutch are a desert-worshipping tribe that founded Confucianism and then it spread through the entire continent, after they wiped out the Catholic Iroquois in a Holy Crusade.

Well, you won't HAVE friends after a few playthroughs. But you can tell your cat about it. Wait the cat died. Well anyway it's time to start a new game. This time as the Maya.

Wow, never thought about like that, it's even more depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

still probably better than associating with mmo weirdos

• Locked thread