Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

gently caress the ROW posted:

reading books on a computer is really bad for your eyes

really? i used computers for most of my life and still have perfect vision. mostly read documents/articles too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Infidel Castro posted:

True. Civ 4 had a crippling memory leak and Civ 5 was missing a bunch of features such as "stuff to do" and "fun."

That's unfair: Civ 5 is an excellent 'Press Enter' simulator!

(Does it still take about 80 turns just to build a loving Warrior?)

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
pretty sure. Theres a cool total war game where you can use rifles to brutally slaughter thousands of samurai, that was way more fun than civ 5. I'm talking like 1000 dead samurai

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

paradox

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Still waiting on the patch for 5

comes out next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
sometimes i gave myself and my civilization naughty names so emissaries would have to address me as MR BUTT of THE SMELLY GAYLORDS :laugh:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i will let's play anyone in FTL - heres the kicker: I won't broadcast it & also i will try to kill u :devil:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I went to the first solar flare and now gorki, Big Ol Marsh Pussy, and RedMage129 burned to death in the oxygen room :devil: u can't stop me

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Feranon posted:

You can turn victory types off in the setup options

I turn em all off except science and domination victories. you're either gonna let me launch my rocket ship or get brutally insanely murdered.
I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.

Totally turning off culture victories cuz they are boring. Not as boring as they were before BNW, but still boring.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 3, 2014

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
civ IV was, and still is, better OP. :smug:

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
Civ IV was better. I bought 5 on a steam deal for twentyish bucks. It's okay, definitely very pretty, but I still don't like stackless warfare and it's more vapid than IV.

I'd like to play Europa Universalis but it's always >40 bucks and I'm a stingy bastard when it comes to videogames.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Morkyz posted:

Civ 4 even still looks good thanks to it's art style. It aged well.

For all the people saying 5 is pretty I think 4 actually ultimately looks better because your whole continents turn into nice sprawling cities and stuff. Higher polygon counts and texture resolutions don't always beat stuff like that.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
You should be able to play as the Mormons.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Morkyz posted:

"What's religion? Are different religions different and make people act in different ways?"
Civ V: "Yes!"
Civ IV: "No, it makes people happier! That's about it."

"What's culture? Paintings and museums and stuff?"
Civ IV: "Well, it makes your borders bigger and then you can stop worrying about it. Unless you get three super-cultural cities then you win the world."

"So if I'm playing a fascist or a commie dictator should I build museums and radio towers so I can have propaganda and my people will be happier and my soldiers will fight harder?"
Civ IV: Lol no, build more tanks, why would you need that stuff if you're planning to fight a war?"

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
The hexes and ability to defend cities without stacking units is p cool. i liked civ iv too though so i dunno.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

"What's religion? Are different religions different and make people act in different ways?"
Civ IV: "No, it makes people happier! That's about it."

Play the expansions, where religion and religion conversion is a central part to Civ IV, and can directly impact your alliances and cultural interactions.

Point: Civ IV. BTS.

"What's culture? Paintings and museums and stuff?"
Civ IV: "Well, it makes your borders bigger and then you can stop worrying about it. Unless you get three super-cultural cities then you win the world."

Also a city taken from another culture will retain part of that culture and more easy to sway, requiring all kinds of special considerations instead of "Here, have a culture point."

Point: Civ IV: BTS.

"So if I'm playing a fascist or a commie dictator should I build museums and radio towers so I can have propaganda and my people will be happier and my soldiers will fight harder?"
Civ IV: Lol no, build more tanks, why would you need that stuff if you're planning to fight a war?"

Except Civ IV had far, far more options to help pacify the population available during wartime.

None of your points are remotely accurate.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Civ 5 was okay, but Civ 2 is still the greatest Civ game of all time.

Frankly, the best 4X game I've played in recent years was Sins of a Solar Empire.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Wait did culture ever get mechanics beyond 'buy buildings for more culture points' that mattered because I know religion was a huuuuuge waste of time but now people are talking about their personal painting galleries and poo poo and ???

Is this like a Sims patch that is also called Civilization V or something

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 3, 2014

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Like, I understand the direction civ V was trying to take, but I just feel like IV was overall the better game.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Play the expansions, where religion and religion conversion is a central part to Civ IV, and can directly impact your alliances and cultural interactions.

Point: Civ IV. BTS.

Also a city taken from another culture will retain part of that culture and more easy to sway, requiring all kinds of special considerations instead of "Here, have a culture point."

Except Civ IV had far, far more options to help pacify the population available during wartime.

None of your points are remotely accurate.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Civ wont be an acceptable game until they create a mod that adds rape culture.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

India has been in civ since the first game.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Would you be able to take over enemy cities if your rape culture is high enough?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
People hating on Civ V are kind of like people hating on 4th ed DnD.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cathulhu posted:

Conversely, people defending Civ V are like people who really want you to know that they like 4th ed DnD

My elf got killed by the GM's wacky level 99 kobold sorceror in the first five minutes and nobody had taken a shower in at least a week, it sucks, stop telling me I didn't give it a chance

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Don't you special spergflakes have an entire forum where you can discuss this gay poo poo?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cathulhu posted:

Nah people who like Civ V are more like someone who sees a remake of a classic movie without ever enjoying the original and doesn't understand why the original fans all keep saying it's poo poo.

Somewhere out there, someone just saw the remake of Robocop (which was an alright, slickly produced product just like Civ V) and doesn't realize how inferior it was to the original.

I've hit very few Civ V fans that were also big Civ IV fans. Almost always Civ V fans last played like, Civ 2 or nothing at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Civ5 can be a decent MP war game so long as everyone has decently balanced starts and there's no one vastly more skilled player who goes around chumping everyone else.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Civ 4 even still looks good thanks to it's art style. It aged well.

For all the people saying 5 is pretty I think 4 actually ultimately looks better because your whole continents turn into nice sprawling cities and stuff. Higher polygon counts and texture resolutions don't always beat stuff like that.

Civ4 was a great empire building game, my favourite thing to do was to zoom in on your cities and a look at all the lil models of the buildings you have constructed. Ooh, a granary, a barracks, a stable. Civ5 only showed your palace, and then a colosseum, and wonders, and that was basically it.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

You should be able to play as the Mormons.

i can't get fully invested in a game that lets me nuke people but i can't nuke mormons or israelis

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i think civ v is alright but as other people have said im pretty bad at it unless i play on an easy difficulty.

i can't play civ iv anymore because caveman2cosmos made it totally awesome but it takes forever to get through turns. i had a massive world war going and it seriously took 10 minutes between turns i dont have the patience for that poo poo seriously though try caveman2cosmos for civ iv... you will lovei t!!!!! i like civ v though i was just playing it as the aztecs and was about to slaughter napoleon then it crashed and i forgot to save for half an hour

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Wait did culture ever become a thing that mattered because I know religion was a huuuuuge waste of time but now people are talking about their personal painting galleries and poo poo and ???

Is this like a Sims patch that is also called Civilization V or something

there are artifacts you send archeologists to find and cultural works great people can generate. collecting them enhances your culture and tourism. the artifacts appear at historical sites (is old battle sites and the like), you can plunder them from other civs, and having diverse art/artifacts enhances their effects.

its actually the only neat idea in all of civ v. it makes culture victories theoretically less passive and plundering is cool as hell. unfortunately the mechanics of the rest of the game actually got worse with the expansion and the ai is just as dumb. consequently there's no balancing of resources or strategy and their one good idea is wasted, you build 4 cities then kinda sleep walk through busy work, hit end turn every so often, then you win.

civ v is terrible

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Civ4 was a great empire building game, my favourite thing to do was to zoom in on your cities and a look at all the lil models of the buildings you have constructed. Ooh, a granary, a barracks, a stable. Civ5 only showed your palace, and then a colosseum, and wonders, and that was basically it.

that was my thing too

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't give a flying poo poo which version of game any of you prefer.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

seriously though if you like civ iv:bts play this mod its the best and its both totally cool and totally awesome

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=288570

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

civ 2 was the best civ game, because it was in the heady days of modding when all you needed was a basic knowledge of the scripting language within the game (that they included in the freaking manual for the second-to-last version) and you could create an arcade version of the battle of the atlantic, or play through settling mars, or world war: 1979, or the post-apocalyptic one with dinosaurs, terminators, and bikers

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I liked the idea of roads costing maintenance on CIV V because holy gently caress computer literally builds roads on every atom of the map and that basically kills any raiding/cutting off supply lines irrelevant-ish unless you cut off the resource itself.

If there is a mod that makes CIV IV roads having upkeep, help this brother out mang.

Hexes are ok I guess, doom stacks are kinda boring.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
if i could kill all of you with my disdain for civ 5? I would

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

if i could kill all of you with my disdain for civ 5? I would

look at this pikeman

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

paradox.

MechaStalin
Jun 13, 2013

pretty sure. Theres a cool total war game where you can use rifles to brutally slaughter thousands of samurai, that was way more fun than civ 5. I'm talking like 1000 dead samurai

Try 10000. Against US marines with gatling guns defending the castle from lord of the rings. gently caress Civ 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i like civ 5

• Locked thread