Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

It also runs in the biggest yuri magazine and has lots of female fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

CAN SOMEONE POST ALL THE YURI ANIME THIS SEASON

I'm just not seeing any whatsoever (maybe that terrible fanservicey Cross Ange thing), so I'm kind of puzzled. There's certainly yaoi this season (that mermaid bathtub... whatever it is), but I'm genuinely baffled by all the OH NOES THIS IS THE AUTUMN OF AWFUL YURI doomsaying.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm just not seeing any whatsoever (maybe that terrible fanservicey Cross Ange thing), so I'm kind of puzzled. There's certainly yaoi this season (that mermaid bathtub... whatever it is), but I'm genuinely baffled by all the OH NOES THIS IS THE AUTUMN OF AWFUL YURI doomsaying.

Would you believe that's not a yaoi at all!?

It's not even really homoerotic at all from what I've seen of the manga.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Strange Quark posted:

Okay, now you're just loving with me. Not falling for that one again.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The bathtub manga is pretty funny and not bad.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Strange Quark posted:

I'm removing it from my to watch list now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

pandaK posted:

same

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

pandaK posted:

yeah

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I used to have a handy list written down but I'm afraid I lost it. One of the things I did enjoy awhile ago though was Bee and Puppycat, which was a nice short that is getting more episodes made because it had a successful Kickstarter.

Bee and Puppycat isn't amateur at all, it's animated in Korea and produced by the same company that makes Adventure Time. Small time animation done right is all stuff that works well within its limits, like Simons Cat or Sita Sings the Blues, but those take way longer to make than RWBY does.

What wrong with RWBY has nothing to do with being amateur or small time or whatever, and everything thing to do with just having bad taste.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Strange Quark posted:

So what's the point?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bathtub merman manga isn't a straight up romance but it's totally homoerotic, wtf quark.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Bathtub merman manga isn't a straight up romance but it's totally homoerotic, wtf quark.

Full disclosure, I have not read much of the manga.

e: I also think that the one episode of Free! I've seen wasn't very homoerotic either, so. It was trying too hard if anything.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 9, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Truly what you need is to get in touch with your inner fujoshi, for then you can see the layers of homoeroticism behind everything, not just in anime and manga but in your everyday life.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the sight of naked men is just Too Macho for Me.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
entertainment for and by inscrutable orientals

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm surprised that nobody bothered to mention Prison School at this time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I'm surprised that nobody bothered to mention Prison School at this time.

I'm, erm. Going to watch it as a joke. And make the thread, just to laugh at it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I actually read The King of the Magic Bullet and Vanadis a while back on a whim because I was bored and in the mood for trashy harem nonsense, so I can give some thoughts on it. It hits a lot of the typical harem cliches, and the cover art gets pretty unfortunate, but surprisingly it does put a lot of focus on war and battle tactics, as well as many cases of sniping murder. The main character isn't your typical usual sword-wielding protagonist, instead solely specializing in archery, which he does not hold back from using if his strategy is to just snipe the enemy general. Also lots and lots of words about war tactics, troop morale, politics and occasionally economy. Not gonna endorse it or anything, but it could be another case like Bodacious Space Pirates where it's actually watchable and not just another harem romcom.

I read some of the manga tonight after seeing your description and I really do like the protagonist and the setting. It also reminds me a bit of Rain with some of the "overpowered/unstoppable hero using clever tactics so the underdog army wins" scenarios. It's really a shame that it also does things like have a full page of serious strategy conversation between two characters who are naked. I may keep reading the manga since it's easy to just skim past all the titties but I like my fanservice to be of the male variety so I'll just watch merman bathtub and skip the anime of this one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Current Yaoi anime:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, does the racist bug manga ever actually have a story or is it: bug people go to Mars -> show off bug powers -> get massacred -> repeat forever?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I just started reading it and I'm still like 20 chapters behind but yeah there's plot threads here and there. Though whether or not they're just veneer for bug fighting is yet to be seen.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

So, does the racist bug manga ever actually have a story or is it: bug people go to Mars -> show off bug powers -> get massacred -> repeat forever?

This was my main problem with it. After they killed off the third entire cast of characters, my patience wore thin.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Longer Parasyte trailer this time, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFQLo1kBUk

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes there's a lot of intrigue and human/human fighting with the nations betraying each other to get access to superior bug hybrid mutation technology. The first mission where almost everyone dies is just the prologue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sindai posted:

Yes there's a lot of intrigue and human/human fighting with the nations betraying each other to get access to superior bug hybrid mutation technology. The first mission where almost everyone dies is just the prologue.

What about the second and third missions where almost everyone dies? Are those just the prologue?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

What about the second and third missions where almost everyone dies? Are those just the prologue?

Arent we still on the third mission?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is it still on namek?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

darkgray posted:

Longer Parasyte trailer this time, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFQLo1kBUk
This is gonna be rad although Migi is a bit too cute.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've started to read Parasyte after seeing that trailer for the movie and I'm liking it so far. Also this page was loving hilarious; I would have spat out water if I was drinking at the time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Genocyber posted:

I've started to read Parasyte after seeing that trailer for the movie and I'm liking it so far. Also this page was loving hilarious; I would have spat out water if I was drinking at the time.

The early parts of the manga when he's coming to terms with things are my favourite. There's a famous panel that'll give you a good chuckle coming up, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parasyte is definitely a manga that started out stronger than it finished, that's not to say it was ever bad but as soon is it started turning in to (very vague manga spoilers) The Guyver, it kind of lost me a bit.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sakurazuka posted:

Parasyte is definitely a manga that started out stronger than it finished, that's not to say it was ever bad but as soon is it started turning in to (very vague manga spoilers) The Guyver, it kind of lost me a bit.

Yeah, I agree. I feel that way about most fiction where people get superpowers, though. The origin story and discovery of their abilities in a mundane setting is way more interesting to me than when the stakes are higher and they're fighting other superbeings to save the world/girl.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Has the new Squid Girl OVA been subbed yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What happened with that Bodacious Space Pirates movie, has it still not had a DVD release?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The movie bombed in theaters, the BD is coming out Nov 12.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

Has the new Squid Girl OVA been subbed yet?

i cant find anything at the moment.

aers stop getting ddosed

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Soon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Trailer for Urobuchi's new 3DCG movie thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExufsWmrMeA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darkgray posted:

Trailer for Urobuchi's new 3DCG movie thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExufsWmrMeA

It might just be because its on youtube but that animation looks extremely choppy and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

kind of how like madoka magica is the greatest anime of our generation, gen urobutchi is like the madoka magica of anime writers of our generation

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread