Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

pixelbaron posted:

It's okay, Splode. More pilots were injured or died just trying to fly the Sopwith Camel than they did going into fights with it.

At least that's what anecdotes from pilots suggests.

We actually had this conversation while dicking about in the Camel and Splode theorised that that may have been the case. I didn't think it was, to be honest, so I'm a bit horrified. :stare:

Oh well, I guess they also put pilots with barely any training into Hurricanes and Spitfires in 1940. Gotta love the RAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm just going to point to this one thing about parachutes.

"Although a number of famous German fighter pilots were saved by this type of parachute, including Hermann Göring,[22] no parachutes were issued to Allied "heavier-than-air" aircrew, since it was thought at the time that if a pilot had a parachute he would jump from the plane when hit rather than trying to save the aircraft.[23]"

:stonklol:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You may be on fire, shot to pieces and missing half your limbs, but there's no excuse to sacrifice a piece of quality British engineering because you're feeling a bit under the weather. :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

You may be on fire, shot to pieces and missing half your limbs, but there's no excuse to sacrifice a piece of quality British engineering because you're feeling a bit under the weather. :colbert:

Stiff upper lip wasn't about facing adversity with dignity it was about early onset rigormortis.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Endman posted:

A quality piece of British engineering that has been consistently trying to kill you since you started the engine.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Stiff upper lip wasn't about facing adversity with dignity it was about early onset rigormortis.

It certainly puts Sir Winston Churchill's speech about never surrendering into a bit of context. Britain won't surrender even if they've horribly mutilated everyone and their gran just to fight you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

It certainly puts Sir Winston Churchill's speech about never surrendering into a bit of context. Britain won't surrender even if they've horribly mutilated everyone and their gran just to fight you.

The same guy who thought Gallipoli was a good idea :ghost:

Guy knew how to read a speech, but what a lovely tactician

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
You can add me as an AI mate and I'll probably join a co-op thing if I can catch a session.

Endman
May 18, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

You can add me as an AI mate and I'll probably join a co-op thing if I can catch a session.

Awesome, I'll add you to the list.

And with that, I've decided to start the voting for the next co-op campaign :siren: NOW :siren: since we're on a new-ish page.

I'll need two votes (in the same post, but counted separately) from you, the viewers.

VOTE #1: NATIONALISM

We've three nations to choose from on the Western Front:

The British Empire
The British fly geometric shapes with wings and propellors attached. They also fly two hilariously silly pusher aircraft that are a laugh, and the ridiculous flying boat, the Felixtowe F.2.

La Troisième République
The French have probably the most limited selection of aircraft in the game after Belgium, consisting of Nieuport scouts, SPADs and the Breguet 14.B two-seater.

Deutsches Kaiserreich
The Germans feature sleek, aerodynamic looking fighters and two-seaters for the middle part of the war. They also fly the first plane with a synchronised gun, the Fokker Eindecker (monoplane).

(I didn't include Belgium because we're already going to see all they've got to offer, and I didn't include the Americans because they only fly British and French planes and arrive late.)

VOTE #2: MILITARISM

Now we need to decide what kind of plane we're going to fly:

Scouts
Scouts are the primary combat aircraft of the First World War, they carry one pilot and a couple of machine guns. These are the dogfighters. They're thrilling, but fragile.

Reconnaissance Two-Seaters
These two-seater planes are mostly used for taking photographs of enemy lines, collecting intelligence, spotting for artillery fire, and light bombing missions.

Strategic Bombers
A new invention of the late war, strategic bombers are huge and unwieldy planes that carry a large number of bombs to obliterate ground targets.

Seaplanes
Seaplane are boats that can fly! :monocle: They come in different sizes in this game, from the Felixtowe pictured above, to the tiny Hanriot HD.2 which is barely more than a scout with some sea-floats.

Please vote on both a single nation and a single type of aircraft. Votes will be counted separately, so even if you don't get your chosen nation, you may get your chosen type of plane and vice versa.

VOTING WILL BE OPEN UNTIL FRIDAY

Endman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 9, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles

and

Strategic Bombers

I just want to see someone do an actual campaign in a Gotha. Although I know it will probably end on takeoff or landing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RAF and BOATPLANE BESTPLANE!

We need all the Boatplanes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, German is the nation I'm most familiar with in terms of aircraft via Albatros and Pfalzes, but I will vote for Two Seaters so that even some goons that don't have sticks or lots of planes can join in the fun as gunners.

In which case the Bristol F2B might be the best choice, as its basically a two-seater fighter. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
La Troisième République and Scouts

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My vote is for RAF and Scouts. Barring that, you have my support for anything that involves flying a Gotha [spoiler]straight into the ground on takeoff, killing everyone[/b]

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Germany

and

Not Scouts

If I have to vote properly:

Because more co-op antics is always the best choice.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'll hop in for an AI dude too if you still have more and I'm up for any Co-op shenanigans. I don't own too many planes, but I think I cover most of the war.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The British Empire

and

I mean look at that Bristol Fighter c'mon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fLzPXjwmw

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The Germans

and

Strategic Bombers

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Bristol F.2 Fighter is quite possibly the best general-purpose two-seater of the entire war. She was often used in the same offensive roles typically assigned to a single seater Scout. It was so capable and popular that it remained in military service into the early 1930s, at least one is even known to have participated in the Spanish Civil war!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Germans and Scouts

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
German bombers, because I want to see you fly a Gotha.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Night10194 posted:

RAF and BOATPLANE BESTPLANE!

We need all the Boatplanes.

This.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Felixstowe is kinda boring to be honest. :(

Endman
May 18, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Felixstowe is kinda boring to be honest. :(

It is... until you put the giant recoilless AT gun on the front.

57mm of destructive power... if you can hit with it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

I accept this challenge

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

Yes please.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
German bombers. Considering how hard the tiny planes seem to be to handle, can't wait to see you in a Gotha.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
RAF and strategic bombers. Let's bomb those Huns to pieces, eh wot?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/splode26/

watch endman embarrass himself trying to take off in the Gotha!

edit: he couldn't.

Splode fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 9, 2014

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
La Troisième République
Scouts
:france:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfdzfe-jVw:france:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Splode posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/splode26/

watch endman embarrass himself trying to take off in the Gotha!

:pcgaming:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Save Germany for last.

O Britannia, Britannia rule the waves skies!

Also, Scout planes.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Lynneth posted:

Save Germany for last.

O Britannia, Britannia rule the waves skies!

Also, Scout planes.

Likewise. Because:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

quantumavenger posted:

Likewise. Because:

With tuppence for paper and string, you can have your own set of wings...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Airco DH2 is a fine plane. I mean, c'mon, it has ailetons! The Fokker Eindecker doesn't even have those! And just like the Eindecker it has a nose mounted gun! And the pusher configuration makes it more stable for better shooting!

Sure neither of them have engine throttles, but judicious blipping is just as good!

Seriously though, its one of my favorite planes to go leisure flying in the game with. The view is just amazing with no wings or engine in front of you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I say British scout planes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I love the DH2. It does become outmatched ridiculously quickly in this game though, since the only pre-Albatross German fighter is the Eindecker. I'd really love it if the devs would add some more earlier war aeroplanes, but I think the Hanriot is the last one we'll see, at least for a long time, since they've moved on to other projects like Ilya Muromets and helping make IL2: Battle of Stalingrad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, if the Hanriot is the last one, at least they let us fufill our Willy Coppens fanboyism, Endman. :pilot::respek::pilot:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 10, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, if the Hanriot is the last one, at least they let us fufill our Willy Coppens fanboyism, Endman. :pilot::respek::pilot:

I'll have to see if I can land on top of a balloon. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bombers for RAF I suppose.

edit: since we're talking WWI air combat, I feel compelled to bring up this song about the Red Baron:

Original version (I think) by The Royal Guard

Version by The Irish Rovers (I personally like this one a bit better)

azren fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread