Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Giggling Ninnies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Splode posted:

Hartmann's Bane

Bubi was born in 1922. :colbert:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Galaga Galaxian posted:

nerd

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Clearly he meant his father, duh!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I just spent the last few hours trying to get the individual skins to work in PWCG. Its not really going well, I would recommend not bothering with it. Its kinda cool, but :effort:.

So basically I downloaded a shitton of skins for nothing. Good thing I don't have bandwidth caps. :doh:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:siren: VOTING IS CONCLUDED :siren:

I've tallied it up and the results are, for nations first:

The British Empire: 10
La Troisième République: 2
Deutsches Kaiserreich: 8

We'll be flying for Old Blighty!

Now for aircraft:

Scouts: 7
Reconnaissance Two-Seaters: 3
Strategic Bombers: 6
Seaplanes: 3

We'll be dancing through the skies in Scout Aircraft!

Thanks everybody for voting!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Say hello to your new aircraft, gentlemen:

http://riseofflight.com/en/store/planes/Airco_DH2 posted:

The Airco D.H.2 was a single-seat fighter and the second project of designer Sir Geoffrey de Havilland, leveraging development of the 'pusher' propeller concept, where the propellor is situated behind the pilot. This design allowed for building the aircraft without the need to synchronise the machine gun, which was implemented only at the end of 1916. The prototype of the D.H.2 made its first flight in July 1915. It entered service shortly afterwards and was delivered to the Royal Flying Corps, 24 Squadron. In February 1916 it began active service on French territory.

The Lewis machine gun was mounted in a nacelle and was difficult to implement to begin with. The movable gun mount forced the pilot not only to control the aircraft but also to aim the machine gun, which made combat even more difficult. Later on, pilots began to lock the gun down in a fixed position pointing forward. They managed to aim the weapon with the whole aircraft, and this was found to be more effective than attempting to move the machine gun around during engagements.

The D.H.2 was often criticised for the complex procedures needed to master the technique of piloting and for the sharp reactions pilots needed for the controls. But all of this made the D.H.2 an outstanding fighter for experienced pilots. With the production of the D.H.2 the RFC gained air superiority over the formerly-feared but now rapidly outdating Fokker monoplanes, especially during the first battle on the Somme. The allied air forces' domination lasted until the autumn of 1916, and this dominance was only ended with the introduction of the German Albatros D.I/D.II fighters.

By the end of 1916 the Airco D.H.2 was being retired from the front, and until the middle of 1917 almost all remaining aircraft were transferred to training squadrons, where they remained in service until the beginning of 1918. Several units remained in service until the end of 1917, in Palestine on the Macedonian front. Not a single unit survived by the end of WWI.

The list of people who'll be flying (either cooperatively or as AI) is as follows:

CongoJack
Mycroft Holmes
Heatwizard
Splode
azren
Night10194
McNally
Dooky Dingo
Hotwire
aniEhilated
Galaga Galaxian
Jack Oxide (Jobbo_Fett)
W.D. Lord III (LordPants)
Gideon020
pixelbaron
Bondematt

(Let me know if I've forgotten anyone!)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This has no throttle, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:getin:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The D.H.2 is honestly my favourite WW1 plane by far. I spent a good amount of time flying it in some arcade-y flight sim years ago, and I never stopped loving it. It's also directly responsible for my love of pretty much all of the de Havilland fighter designs.

Chief of which, is the Mossie, which will eternally give anyone with any taste some serious wood.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

LordPants posted:

This has no throttle, right?

Correct. The only way you could manage your RPMs with the Gnome Monosoupape Rotary engine was by changing the mixture or by using the blip switch which when depressed grounded the magneto and stopped ignition.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I submit, for your approval, The Royal Flaming Lawn Darts:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Bottom of the board? Well, the only way is up!

Or down. On fire.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Looks like me and Bondematt are missing from the roster.

Unless there's a cap or something, in which case I am fine to be a replacement when a bunch of you guys die. :getin:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
If it's not too late, could you add me in as a squadron member?

Seriously tempted to buy this game, I've been looking to get back into proper flight sims after playing War Thunder

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grumio posted:

Seriously tempted to buy this game, I've been looking to get back into proper flight sims after playing War Thunder

You can try Rise of Flight for free, the caveat seems to be that you can't use the same email for the free version and then the steam version. (Also, totally look into Il-2 1946, if you like WW2 stuff)

Endman
May 18, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

Looks like me and Bondematt are missing from the roster.

Unless there's a cap or something, in which case I am fine to be a replacement when a bunch of you guys die. :getin:

You're both in the config file, there just seems to be a cap on how many names it displays in the list for some reason. :shrug:

Grumio posted:

Sure! No worries.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can try Rise of Flight for free, the caveat seems to be that you can't use the same email for the free version and then the steam version. (Also, totally look into Il-2 1946, if you like WW2 stuff)

you can, I did this. Put your steam key into the rof website and it'll upgrade your account out of demo mode.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Ooh ooh! Me too, please. Just found this thread. I have a major nostalgic fondness for WWI flight sims. The first computer game I ever bought was one called Knights of the Sky, which I bought because they were out of Red Baron.

This was back in 1991, which I just realize is before some of the goers of this forum were even born. Cheers!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

you can, I did this. Put your steam key into the rof website and it'll upgrade your account out of demo mode.

Ah, I had read otherwise on some forums. Good to know!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

You're both in the config file, there just seems to be a cap on how many names it displays in the list for some reason. :shrug:

Sure! No worries.

Chiming in to get added too, if not too late, please. I too wish to crash and burn horribly serve The King.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Hm, I suppose I'm stuck in the Belgian roster? Unless you intended to switch everyone over to Britain and forgot me, I suppose.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm down to fly, if it's not too late! If you need in-game names, it's TheShineNSB.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh boy. As much as I like it as a pleasure flyer, I've never used thr DH2 in combat much.

I'll have to brush up a bit, if we're doung coop flights sometime.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I've never flown it, so apologies in advance!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Throw me in as a pilot as well if you don't mind.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh boy. As much as I like it as a pleasure flyer, I've never used thr DH2 in combat much.

I'll have to brush up a bit, if we're doung coop flights sometime.

I took it up once on a quick dogfight mission with an EIII. It loses energy and altitude very fast. Getting into a turnfight with the EIII never ended well. Read online that the DH2 rolls better than the EIII, so I tried initiating a scissors and it seemed to work better.

Still couldn't shoot it down, but that was because of terrible marksmanship. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah the Eindecker has a terrible roll rate because it has no ailerons. It uses wing warping instead, where a complex wire/pulley system bends the shape of the wings to create roll.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Please sign me up as cannon fodder! I have the game but I never got around to playing it after I lost my joystick moving. This LP is making me want to try to get back into it though

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Whoops, I don't have the pack this plane comes in. Count me out :(.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's show those Huns what for, eh? Tally Ho!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am ready to die for king, country, and the surely excellent and clear reasons we're fighting this war! For poor little Belgium, smash the Hun!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVNr9cn-Q8

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
So I just did a quick take-off and intercept in the DH.2 because I've not flown it in a while.

Remember: When attacking two-seaters, you're defending your engine with your life.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
That Requiem guys video's are fantastic for learning the game, only watched a couple so far but it seems like someone needs to mail that guy a TrackIR!

He also made this short film/recreation of a historical raid which I really enjoyed watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXn3KMMV-AQ&list=UUW_ZxFL1P9XDx-qjX2U5jog

Also, question for the OP, what kind of equipment (Joystick, rudders etc) are you using for the LP?

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Abongination posted:

That Requiem guys video's are fantastic for learning the game, only watched a couple so far but it seems like someone needs to mail that guy a TrackIR!

He's got one, don't you worry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are you sure that legally counts as an aircraft? I'm pretty sure they didn't even finish it before giving it to us.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Good morning, Aviators! Today is a very special day where I live since in Tasmnia it's the Centenary of the First Powered Flight!

Taking off from the Hobart Showgrounds on the 10th of September, 1914, Delfosse Badgery flew his Caudron Biplane around a bit and it was jolly impressive to just about everyone.

Speaking of flying, how's about we get a cooperative mission started? First off, I'll need :siren:four volunteers:siren: who own the plane.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Reporting for duty. :pilot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Time to go buy it. Ready to rock and roll!

• Locked thread