Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One Tip Sperglords Hate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In the immortal words of Endman... "Apply directly to forehead"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Start engine, rev up, nose down slightly and wait for take-off. I found the D.H.2 to be surprisingly easy to fly.

I can take off in the D.H.2 reasonably easily, but not with a strong crosswind. Anyway, that last mission was great!

edit: truly a miracle occurred:

Splode fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 13, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Splode posted:

I can take off in the D.H.2 reasonably easily, but not with a strong crosswind. Anyway, that last mission was great!

It was like having sex for the first time, I was too busy taking it all in to actually hit anything with my pea shooter.

That's how sex works, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tonight, The Royal Flaming Lawn Darts in their Airco DH2s while on patrol engaged in a pitched battle against huns who had the advantage of superior numbers and largely superior planes. It was a brutal fight, please look forward to it.

Also, Endman, I had my flight recording going for that whole fight a minute or two before engagement, I can send you the file if you wanna use it to get alternative perspectives from the fight.

But anyways, one thing you do NOT want to notice coming back wounded and damaged from a sortie:

Can you spot the problem? :v:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Ah that's fine. Your rear wheel is already a skid. Now you've just got another one.

I've started a DH.2 career to get used to the plane, and while I love it when I see a bundle of E-III's flying around, I can't help but sigh every time my flight goes for a bunch of Rolands.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hotwire posted:

I've started a DH.2 career to get used to the plane, and while I love it when I see a bundle of E-III's flying around, I can't help but sigh every time my flight goes for a bunch of Rolands.

That's why co-op is awesome. You get to roll up in your DH.2 with all your buddies like :getin: ready to rock and roll and wreck some Germans.

Then you see them go after Rolands :v:

The secret to a good co-op mission is how badly you can screw up, yet still make it back home alive

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 13, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Endman posted:

Jobbo_Fett and Galaga Galaxian, we'll be using the AirGoons mumble (assuming that's okay pixelbaron :ohdear:), deets are:

URL: AirGoons.mumble.cc
Port: 31148

I'm currently chilling in the Rise of Flight channel if you'd like to join me.

That's what it's there for!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, Endman, I had my flight recording going for that whole fight a minute or two before engagement, I can send you the file if you wanna use it to get alternative perspectives from the fight.

That would mean separating the commentary track from the videos and I am terminally lazy, but thanks for offering! I got all of the :krad: stuff on camera, so not to worry.

pixelbaron posted:

That's what it's there for!

Awesome! :D

Speaking of co-op stuff, I reckon I'll have another round of missions in the DH2 for those who didn't get to play in this batch and then we'll move on to an aircraft that brings a little more competition to the skies. After all, there's only so much laughter you can get out of flying a hilariously underpowered aeroplane against better-equipped foes. We'll be sticking to British Scouts for the time being, however. I'd like to give everyone a taste of what the Brits have to offer in the single-seat department before we vote again.

The co-op video is taking ages to encode, but it should be done by tomorrow. I'm also working on another Solo Career focusing on the Battle of Verdun. I feel like we need a little extra history in the LP, so I'm currently refreshing my memory of the battle with Alistair Horne's The Price of Glory.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tasmanians represent \o/

I spent today, and am spending tomorrow driving an 80+ year old tram to 'celebrate'

Okay, it's what I do every weekend.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, but if any aspiring RFC cadets want to really set the mood then Sagittarius Rising is a definite pro-read about one person's experiences as a flight officer in the Great War. Spoilers: Total. Insanity.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Reading material!

Winged Victory
Flying Fury
Knight of Germany
Black Fokker Leader
Aces Falling
Bloody April

Also, Aces High is on Netflix

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Metrilenkki posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, but if any aspiring RFC cadets want to really set the mood then Sagittarius Rising is a definite pro-read about one person's experiences as a flight officer in the Great War. Spoilers: Total. Insanity.

Just picked this up

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is kinda making me want to finally stop being lazy and buy a new joystick. I spent years using an old Logitech with a built-in throttle tab and twist yaw (so old that I used it on Battlefield 1942 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X when they were both new), before it finally bit the dust from overworking it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

This is kinda making me want to finally stop being lazy and buy a new joystick. I spent years using an old Logitech with a built-in throttle tab and twist yaw (so old that I used it on Battlefield 1942 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X when they were both new), before it finally bit the dust from overworking it.

Do iiiiiit. Flight sims like RoF are a ton of fun (Cost aside).

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This thread somehow led to me reinstalling IL-2 1946. Goddamn, I am still terrible at any flight games more realistic than Ace Combat. Flaps and trim and prop pitch and... I think i'll play around with all the realism settings off for a bit until I can manage to stop putting my P-51 into a flatspin every other flight.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well the good news is that WW1 Biplanes in general are less complicated mechanically than WW2 planes, but it has a different set of challenges to keep tabs on.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, I'm thinking RoF would see me tearing off my wings in ridiculous high G dives constantly :v:

It's hard to break the Ace Combat mentality of constant full burn and snap rolls.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well the good news is that WW1 Biplanes in general are less complicated mechanically than WW2 planes, but it has a different set of challenges to keep tabs on.

less complicated here meaning 'doesn't have a throttle'

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hello again, everyone. Time to see how our co-operative squadron fared in the field!

At the end of this round of missions, the tallies are:

Cpt. Endman 1 KIA, 2 Kills:
1x Halberstadt D.II
1x Fokker E.III Eindecker

Lt. Splode 2 KIA, 2 Kills:
1x Roland D.II (Aerial Collision)
1x DFW C.V

Lt. Galaga Galaxian 0 KIA, 5 Kills :siren: ACE :siren::
3x Fokker E.III Eindecker
1x DFW C.V
1x Albatross D.II Late

Lt. LordPants 1 KIA, 0 Kills.

Endman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 14, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Galaga is pretty pro tier ROF.

edit: Ahh that ending :allears:

Seeing myself fall out of the sky was pretty funny too.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 14, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

LordPants posted:

Seeing myself fall out of the sky was pretty funny too.
Yeah that was pretty great

*clunk*

"Was that you?"

After viewing the footage I think I was killed by friendly flak during the second mission, but it is a mystery.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh man, you actually put that Congratulations clip at the end. :haw:

Anyways, it was good fun. I was pretty quiet during the third mission cause I was being a silly tryhard and concentrating a LOT on fighting those Albatros. They are better than us in every regard and really the only reason I picked up most of those kills in each mission is because they were big swirling melees with lots of planes. 1v1 an Albatros D.II(Late) would've toasted my Airco DH2 easily. That said I'm quite pleased to have downed one, and I forced another to disengage from the fight with probably decent damage.

Here is a nice gifycat of me pursuing that Albatros, you can see how much of a whirlwind of planes everywhere this drat fight (which lasted 10+ minutes!) was during the thick of it.

And one thing I noticed is that I still had my wheels intact when I took down that DFW, so I decided to see what happened. Turns out, groundfire shot it off while I was crossing the German trenches! Just remember, for every tracer and its white smoke trail you see, several other invisible bullets are stabbing out alongside them shortly before and after. You can also see I have a serious fuel leak, which is what I believed caused my engine to quit out as I reached the Entente trenches. Good thing I decided to leave when I did. :v:

Definitely had fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again! And maybe getting to do it in some better planes!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 14, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

It really was a ton of fun! I'm going to take some of the AI pilots for a spin today, so watch out for another video either later today or tomorrow.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Abongination posted:

Also, question for the OP, what kind of equipment (Joystick, rudders etc) are you using for the LP?

I totally missed this question from over a page ago.

I'm using a Thrustmaster T.16000M + TrackIR.

I don't currently have any pedals, but I'm thinking about investing in a set.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Endman posted:

I'm using a Thrustmaster T.16000M + TrackIR.

And the award for most unintentionally sexual product name goes to...

Endman
May 18, 2010

We're doing another Co-op mission if anyone is interested. (Just the one though.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

We're doing another Co-op mission if anyone is interested. (Just the one though.)

Damnit, why is it always when I'm at work?

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Agreed. I can't fight the hun because I'm fighting the forces of 'a vent not being properly fitted I swear I'm going to punch the goddamn duct fitters.'

Endman
May 18, 2010

Don't worry, we didn't end up recording anything for the LP anyway. We just dicked around for a bit in the Fokker Dr.I

On another note, I've decided to change up how I'm doing the LP. I'll be using your names for AI pilots in my solo videos, and doing the co-op separately. There's a bit more continuity that way, and it gives me some more to talk about in the solo vids when you guys all die horribly in AI form. :v:

e: Also organising the co-op with PWCG is a pain when I'm also trying to add custom names to it, since there's a bit of a bug with the co-op mission generation. It's much easier to keep the custom AI names in a single-player campaign than in a co-op campaign because of that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

Don't worry, we didn't end up recording anything for the LP anyway.

Oh thank god for that.

I lectured the other two about the finer points of criminal law, took off then promptly declared "welp, see ya later" and afk'd.

Top quality stuff.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Oh, another thing re: my last post. This won't really mean any change for you guys. If you want to fly yourself in co-op, you can. If you want to see yourself as an AI pilot, you can. Just a little behind the scenes commentary on why you won't be seeing real co-op pilots and your personalised AI pilots in the same missions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Endman posted:

Don't worry, we didn't end up recording anything for the LP anyway. We just dicked around for a bit in the Fokker Dr.I

On another note, I've decided to change up how I'm doing the LP. I'll be using your names for AI pilots in my solo videos, and doing the co-op separately. There's a bit more continuity that way, and it gives me some more to talk about in the solo vids when you guys all die horribly in AI form. :v:

e: Also organising the co-op with PWCG is a pain when I'm also trying to add custom names to it, since there's a bit of a bug with the co-op mission generation. It's much easier to keep the custom AI names in a single-player campaign than in a co-op campaign because of that.

sign me up to die horribly, then!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LordPants posted:

Oh thank god for that.

I lectured the other two about the finer points of criminal law, took off then promptly declared "welp, see ya later" and afk'd.

Top quality stuff.

I've learned this is great commentary if you're streaming.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

sign me up to die horribly, then!

Consider yourself added to the pool of pilots...

...or really just the notepad document I put everyone's names in :v:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

For those of you who were disappointed about missing out on that mission:

The three of us took off in Dr Is, and flew to No-man's land. During this flight, Lordpants had to go and put himself on autopilot.

We soon spotted a flight of 4 S.E.5as. "Cool, this will be a challenge!"

Then 30 seconds later we spotted two flights of Sopwith Camels (5 and 3 aircraft). Uh oh.

Endman immediately took a shot in the engine and was out of the fight, and the enemy graciously letting him land in a field.

I was now alone (except for a bot) against 12 enemy aircraft. I got a few bursts off but the situation was hopeless. I took a hit and my vision was obscured by blood. Another pass and engine oil filled my face, and a third hit brought me closer to death. A fourth pass was enough to finally kill me, and my triplane spiralled to the ground.

Steam boops with a message from Lordpants: "Did I miss everything?"

All in all, it was a complete massacre and over very quickly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sounds like you guys could've used an Ace! :pilot:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sounds like you guys could've used an Ace! :pilot:

Yeah, its a shame I went to bed shortly before Endman made that "hey were doing co-op" post. :smuggo:

Then again, I've never really flown the Dr.I before, IIRC its a bit squirrelly with how it wants to turn. You need to give it a good rudder kick to get it to properly turn.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's also tail heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Whenever you crash and survive like that you should just load up Verdun and play it out on the ground :black101:

See, it got planes too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpj4m5dQSJ4&t=52s

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread