Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Rise of Flight is a Combat Flight Simulator set during the First World War over the Western Front. It's gorgeous to look at, the flight models are brilliant, and the damage physics are often hilarious yet terrifyingly realistic. If you're a fan of biplanes, the Red Baron or those Biggles stories where men strapped themselves into canvas and wood boxes with propellers attached and threw themselves into the air to shoot machine guns at each other, then you'll find a home here. The game features too maps of the Western Front, the main bit of the front where all the fighting happened and a second map of the English channel that caters to all your ship-strafing, port-bombing and sea-planing needs.

Unfortunately, the downside to Rise of Flight is in its cost. While there's a free version of the game you can get here that allows you to fly two planes in missions, multiplayer and even career mode, every single other plane you can fly in the game is purchased via a microtransaction or a DLC pack on Steam. And they're not cheap. I'm very bad with money, so I've bought everything. Yes, everything. Right down to the different coloured scarves, sidearms and streamers. But hey! It's still less expensive than Star Citizen at least.

So what am I doing here, you ask? Well...

I'd like to show you how fiscally irresponsible I am all the game has to offer! That means that eventually I hope I'll have shown off every single plane in the game.

Having a cool, fun time, talking about the history of the aeroplanes and the war, and providing a (hopefully) enjoyable experience to the thread are my first priorities. As such, I'll be playing with the Standard game settings pictured here:

That means the computer will handle the engine mixture and the radiator, and the UI will provide me with info such as the names of my allies and enemies, way-point markers to objectives, and other info in the form of instrument readouts that are very useful since many of the aircraft lack things like speedometers and altimeters. HOWEVER, after the first campaign, if there's enough demand, I will ratchet up the difficulty to Expert and you can watch me flail around with no helpful, cheating gauges and markers. I will probably cry. You monsters.

The first career I'll be playing as a Belgian pilot will be done in the conventional Career generator that comes with the game itself. However, afterwards I'll be switching to Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator which provides a much more varied experience where you're more likely to get interesting missions featuring more aircraft and you'll even run into historical aces from time to time. I'm not using PWCG for the first career because it hasn't been updated to accommodate the Hanriot HD.1, which I'll be showing off as part of flying for Belgium.

After the first career is done (it'll be short, don't worry) I'll be gathering votes for which nation and type of aircraft we'll look at next. First you'll vote on the nation, then you'll vote on whether we'll be flying Scouts (Fighters), Reconnaissance Planes, Strategic Bombers or Seaplanes.

When voting is done, we'll commence co-op! Two types of co-operative mission will be run - live and AI. Live is for the people who own the plane to fly in person (in limited numbers due to my terrible Australian internet), AI for the people who can't and will be represented by a bot flying using your name! So please do let me know in the thread if you'd like to participate in one or the other. I can't put you in both, since I'd like to leave AI spots open for people who can't fly themselves. And don't worry if you suck, just take a look at this handy infographic:

SOLO UPDATES:

CO-OP UPDATES:

OTHER SHENANIGANS:

HISTORY CHAT:
Galaga Galaxian provides us with the History of the Nieuport 11

HOW TO FLY A PLANE CHAT:
nohitcharlie tells us what spinning really is and how not to land like idiots!

Endman fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Welcome to the Belgian Air Force!

Consisting of five to six squadrons at a time, it's a relatively puny force compared to the gigantic flying corps of other nations in the war. But what we lack in numbers I'm certain we'll make up for in spirit. We'll be flying over the Belgian held section of the front just East of Dunkerque, pictured here:

This part of the front has been static for quite a while, since the Battle of Yser when the remains of the Belgian army managed to grind the German advance to a halt, losing a third of their men in the process. We'll be helping defend the tiny last section of Belgium that remains free from German control West of the Yser River. 1ere Escadrille de Chasse (1st Pursuit Squadron) is our unit for the time being. Formed as the first dedicated Belgian fighter squadron, it was the formation that contained my personal favourite flying ace Willy Coppens.

We join up with the squadron on the 11th of June 1917 and are immediately and rather unceremoniously tossed into combat.

How the flight before us managed to screw up a balloon attack I've got no idea. I mean really, it's just a canvas bag of gas, how hard could it be?

Well, about that hard. :shepface:

Two men killed, one wounded. If this is a war of attrition, we're certainly losing. But hey, we got a kill. Four more of those and we can call ourselves an Ace! ...I think. Also, medals! Two medals!

:smug:

Endman fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 5, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My word. It seems quite tough to actually hit anything with that Lewis Gun.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That's a nice bend you put on that wing of yours.

You're right. that was a short campaign.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 4, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
wow they really need to find a flatter field for you to land on. Even the AI was wobbling around wildly!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Splode posted:

wow they really need to find a flatter field for you to land on. Even the AI was wobbling around wildly!

I... don't think that's the field. While I never played the game, I did hear a couple things about it and apparently the plane-ripping physics are pretty realistic.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

You're right. that was a short campaign.

Yep! On to the next one. :v:

Seriously though, this campaign will be pretty short. I picked the time period because in the space of about two months game time we go through three different planes. It's the wonders of hand-me-downs; we fly what the French and British don't want any more.

anilEhilated posted:

I... don't think that's the field. While I never played the game, I did hear a couple things about it and apparently the plane-ripping physics are pretty realistic.

They are. If you nudge the ground even a little bit while travelling at speed you'll do the damage you'd expect. Thankfully, this also means it's possible to shoot off another pilot's wings with your machine-gun. :getin:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

They are. If you nudge the ground even a little bit while travelling at speed you'll do the damage you'd expect. Thankfully, this also means it's possible to shoot off another pilot's wings with your machine-gun. :getin:

This game really does capture the fact that these planes were poo poo kites with tractor engines and crap machineguns stuck to them.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
That was a really good first video, sign me up for piloting

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Splode posted:

This game really does capture the fact that these planes were poo poo kites with tractor engines and crap machineguns stuck to them.

Crap guns until you get Dual Prop-synced Vickers. Goes from spraying wildly, to putting a burst in the pilot while diving past him.

Those giant rear end balloon guns one of the planes get is hilarious too. Almost useless at shooting planes since they wobble around so much.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Ready to do my duty for King and Country. Let's show those Jerries what for, eh?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I got this game a couple months back out of a bundle at the recommendation of the War Thunder thread, which came with two packs of planes. However, despite it being installed the whole time I've never gotten around to launching it, so I wouldn't know which planes, specifically. I'll certainly throw my name on the pile of available gunners, or friendly pilots who may or may not manage to get off the ground.

Endman
May 18, 2010

CongoJack posted:

That was a really good first video, sign me up for piloting

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ready to do my duty for King and Country. Let's show those Jerries what for, eh?

Great! Consider yourselves enlisted.

Heatwizard posted:

I'll certainly throw my name on the pile of available gunners, or friendly pilots who may or may not manage to get off the ground.

Excellent. I definitely know that it works now. Splode and I tested it out and Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator builds working co-op maps, and you're able to fly in the gunner seat of any multi-seat aeroplane without actually owning the plane itself, which is awesome. All friendly kills are recorded, so I'm looking into modifying the names of pilots generated in the campaign so you can be represented in the game, either flying yourself or through an AI pilot.

That'll all come after I'm done with Belgium, of course, but until then I'm uploading some highlights of Splode and I being incredibly skilled in an Airco DH2, and I'll post them as soon as they're done.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

"I can't see anything because my face is covered in oil"

"Well I can't see anything either, my face is covered in blood"

It was a jolly good time

Endman
May 18, 2010

Splode posted:

It was a jolly good time

It was! Speaking of...

Apologies for how quiet my voice is to start off with. I needed to fiddle with the Mumble settings.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dorf me Sign me up for piloting! I look forward to glorious crashes!

edit: I assume your co-gunner can take out the wings if he's not careful?

azren fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 5, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Splode posted:

"I can't see anything because my face is covered in oil"

"Well I can't see anything either, my face is covered in blood"

It was a jolly good time

I thought you were exaggerating. Apparently, WWI aviation was a hilarious, bumbling comedy of errors.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
This brings back fond memories of my old copy of Red Baron. When I was 9 years old, I had nothing else to play, so all of a sudden seeing all these familiar planes in gorgeous hi-def is something of a shock. Really got to admit that the game is beautiful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Night10194 posted:

I thought you were exaggerating. Apparently, WWI aviation was a hilarious, bumbling comedy of errors.

Don't forget the pilots of some planes getting a face full of castor oil from the engine lubricant. Remember to wear your brown trousers, and hope it freezes at altitude and you can get out of the plane before it warms up.

Excellent landing on that last mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I noticed you weren't actually using the gunsight to aim, but rather the center of the fuselage, during the train caper. Is the gunsight completely inaccurate?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I noticed you weren't actually using the gunsight to aim, but rather the center of the fuselage, during the train caper. Is the gunsight completely inaccurate?

It isn't too bad, but it's strapped in such an awkward place that in order to use it I had to lean over in exactly the right place. The guns in the game fire an ahistorical number of tracers (every second shot iirc) so I find it's more expedient to fire a couple of rounds and memorise where I'm shooting based on the engine cupola and the cross cables. Scout aircraft are usually much nicer and have the gunsight right in front of you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As the starter of the RoF thread in Games, I guess I'll have to get in on this co-op stuff at some point. I, too, have all the things on Steam, except the latest release of the Hanriot and a few other planes.

Also good job doing this in the co-op while flying over no man's land. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHZZwuybiY

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As the starter of the RoF thread in Games, I guess I'll have to get in on this co-op stuff at some point. I, too, have all the things on Steam, except the latest release of the Hanriot and a few other planes.

Also good job doing this in the co-op while flying over no man's land. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHZZwuybiY

To be fair, it was a false alarm, I didn't actually shoot it off, I was just worried I had because I couldn't see anything at that point.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Welp, looks like this is moving up higher on the Steam wishlist.

Where do I sign up?

Endman
May 18, 2010

McNally posted:

Where do I sign up?

Right here!

So far I've got CongoJack, Mycroft Holmes, Heatwizard, azren, Galaga Galaxian and McNally up for inclusion in the next Campaign. And I've just figured out how to edit the files to make you persistent AI and/or Coop pilots in the squadron. :getin:

If anybody else would like to be included, please let me know. I won't just assume because you've posted in the thread you want to take part. :ohdear:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sign me up to die horribly in a poo poo kite with tractor engine innit. Can leave off the ill-advised 10194, of course. I don't own a joystick or the game, so I can't do co-op stuffs, but you can at least have someone named after me suffer a sudden and inexplicable lack of wings/oil/blood.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I figure I'll probably feature as myself again in a future campaign, so there's not much point adding me to the list of names.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Sign me up to die horribly in a poo poo kite with tractor engine innit. Can leave off the ill-advised 10194, of course. I don't own a joystick or the game, so I can't do co-op stuffs, but you can at least have someone named after me suffer a sudden and inexplicable lack of wings/oil/blood.

No worries. I won't be making every single mission available for co-op play anyway, since the time and :effort: involved would be immense. Instead I reckon we'll have one or two co-op sessions per career/squadron.

e: The rest of the time your lives will be in the hands of AI pilots whom I will try to keep alive. Maybe.

Endman fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 6, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Endman posted:

No worries. I won't be making every single mission available for co-op play anyway, since the time and :effort: involved would be immense. Instead I reckon we'll have one or two co-op sessions per career/squadron.

e: The rest of the time your lives will be in the hands of AI pilots whom I will try to keep alive. Maybe.

I always wanted to die screaming and covered in oil become a fighter ace stave off the invading huns! I'm in. :patriot:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I'm in for co-op if the schedule and timing allows it! I've everything but the latest bundle released in steam.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Perfectly willing to be turned into a short-lived AI companion.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I shall die as I lived: Screaming and on fire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh, and having your elevator destroyed/disabled like that one guy really does suck. You basically have to perform all sorts of rolls to turn that pitch into horizontal movement and try to bleed altitude, then stall the plane just right. Even then you're looking at hitting the ground hard, wrecking the plane, and probably hurting yourself. If only we had parachutes*!

Here is me attempting to safely land an Albatros D.V with a disabled elevator jammed at an upwards pitch. Not the best job.

Amazingly I survived, but was hospitalized.

*Early Parachutes were around during WW1, though not 100% reliable. In the last year of the war the Germans started issuing to them to pilots because they realized just how valuable their dwindling reserve of skilled pilots was compared to the planes themselves. Meanwhile throughout the war the allies basically refused to issue them because planes are expensive and the top brass worried pilots would panic and bail out the second they saw the enemy/got shot at/took the smallest of hits.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yeah, I'll need to be AI as well; I don't have game/joystick, and it's more fun for me to just put my cyber-life in the hands of some baffling computer.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'd like to sign up for dying a terrible death by gun (as AI, I suppose).
Gonna follow this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jack Oxide reporting for duty flight school :pilot: I should also probably install this at some point.

I should get some co-op stuff set up for my LP and watch the chaos begin :supaburn:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Man, this game looked like so much fun, I downloaded the demo version, went through all the updates, etc...
You can TECHNICALLY play this game with a mouse and keyboard, but the game goes out of its way to actively punish you for it. It is so stinking difficult and you have to remap literally all of your keys to have it make any kind of sense. Even then, I have to push "autopilot" every 3 seconds to stop from meeting the ground face to face.
:sigh: Oh well, I'll just have to live vicariously through my digital sprite getting gunned down by Gerry.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dooky Dingo posted:

Man, this game looked like so much fun, I downloaded the demo version, went through all the updates, etc...
You can TECHNICALLY play this game with a mouse and keyboard, but the game goes out of its way to actively punish you for it. It is so stinking difficult and you have to remap literally all of your keys to have it make any kind of sense. Even then, I have to push "autopilot" every 3 seconds to stop from meeting the ground face to face.
:sigh: Oh well, I'll just have to live vicariously through my digital sprite getting gunned down by Gerry.

If you have a wired xbox 360 controller then you can kinda get it to play decently. Just be prepared for 50% of your time in game to be loving with response curves and such. It's not easy at all. Aside from that, joystick is pretty much your only option.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dooky Dingo posted:

Technically you can play flight sims with KB+Mouse but as you experienced, the difficulty isn't worth it. If you have any modern controller (Xbox 360, PS3, etc.) you should be able to hook it up to your pc and use that. I can safely say it works for Il-2 1946.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in as W.D. Lord III

• Locked thread