Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dooky Dingo posted:

Man, this game looked like so much fun, I downloaded the demo version, went through all the updates, etc...
You can TECHNICALLY play this game with a mouse and keyboard, but the game goes out of its way to actively punish you for it. It is so stinking difficult and you have to remap literally all of your keys to have it make any kind of sense. Even then, I have to push "autopilot" every 3 seconds to stop from meeting the ground face to face.
:sigh: Oh well, I'll just have to live vicariously through my digital sprite getting gunned down by Gerry.

If you have a wired xbox 360 controller then you can kinda get it to play decently. Just be prepared for 50% of your time in game to be loving with response curves and such. It's not easy at all. Aside from that, joystick is pretty much your only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My vote is for RAF and Scouts. Barring that, you have my support for anything that involves flying a Gotha [spoiler]straight into the ground on takeoff, killing everyone[/b]

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The D.H.2 is honestly my favourite WW1 plane by far. I spent a good amount of time flying it in some arcade-y flight sim years ago, and I never stopped loving it. It's also directly responsible for my love of pretty much all of the de Havilland fighter designs.

Chief of which, is the Mossie, which will eternally give anyone with any taste some serious wood.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Endman posted:

Splode and I are currently chilling in the mumble if you guys want to refly the mission.

You better set up a stream. Until I get a joystick shipped to me, then I'm living vicariously through you.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Assuming we start up again, I'll stream. Quality won't be that great though. :v:

I first played this game on a netbook with an Xbox 360 controller. Low quality is just nostalgic.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

pixelbaron posted:

Light a small plane-shaped candle for each of the fallen.

Endman's gonna need a lot of loving candles.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So I downloaded this again, and while I'm waiting for a joystick to be shipped to me, I started screwing around with using an Xbox 360 controller again. 5 missions in, 0 crashes, precisely one kill(plus one I should have gotten the assist for, except the loving AI swooped in and killed the pilot of a crippled plane with no engine).

I still wouldn't reccomend that anyone try this, because it's loving HARD.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

T1g4h posted:

... Jeff Gerstmann?

I'd make a sign for a code, but i'm content just watching this LP since all I have is a 360 controller :v:

I've been playing this almost exclusively with a 360 controller. While not as nice as a joystick, it does work. It's a bit tough though. Remember to bind your rudder input to the triggers, or you're gonna have a hell of a time flying. Also, you'll want to tweak the deadzone in the responses tab. Now get in, and start playing.

Hey Shine, if you're willing to wait a bit for me to remember what DLCs I have/don't have, I'm more than willing to throw a picture up of me threatening my controller with extreme violence.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shine posted:

:siren: One bundle left! :siren:

I am literally waiting for Canada Post to deliver a joystick today. Then again, it's loving Canada Post. They've turned what was supposed to be a 2 day delivery, with a package going exactly 42 kilometres, into 4 days.

loving canada post is probably gonna take an extra week because they're loving horrid :smithicide:
I loving hate Canada Post

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jobbo_Fett posted:

CanadaPost is a piece of poo poo. They can't manage Montreal to Ottawa in a day, but Toronto to Ottawa is fine.

Right now they're failing to do Richmond to Maple Ridge. Both in the loving lower mainland. Joystick was shipped same day I ordered it, got the tracking number and everything, and then loving Canada Post has been sitting on it since then. Except today, it's in transit(hopefully to my damned house :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I got my joystick! It's only 3 days late! Approximate speed of travel for it to get to me after 5 days(assuming the longest possible distance between the end of town I'm on, and the far side of the city it was shipped from): 460 meters per hour!

gently caress Canada Post!

Also, first time flying with this Logitech and it is goddamned FANTASTIC. I cannot possibly explain how much nicer it is than a controller. I think I'm just about tripling the number of kills I used to get. I also tear my wings off about three times as often too.

• Locked thread