Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Dooky Dingo posted:

Man, this game looked like so much fun, I downloaded the demo version, went through all the updates, etc...
You can TECHNICALLY play this game with a mouse and keyboard, but the game goes out of its way to actively punish you for it. It is so stinking difficult and you have to remap literally all of your keys to have it make any kind of sense. Even then, I have to push "autopilot" every 3 seconds to stop from meeting the ground face to face.
:sigh: Oh well, I'll just have to live vicariously through my digital sprite getting gunned down by Gerry.

Just take the plunge and get something cheap like a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. One of us, one of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Did Patrick Wilson ever get artillery spotting and photo recon mission generation into his campaign generator?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That sounds pretty cool, I hope it is.

I have boring tastes, shut up :saddowns:

Yeah, especially since artillery spotting in Rise of Flight actually requires you to pull up your map and match grid references for artillery to zero in, then you watch as they open up on the area, and you correct their firing if they are off mark. I think photo recon missions also have you actually having to aim the camera and take pictures similar to a bomb sight. I know Patrick Wilson had some trouble for awhile with those missions because of the logic in the files or something. If he finally put it in then I would suggest a Recon role in the next career. ;)

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 8, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think he still hasn't got the artillery spotting missions working correctly and you basically just fly to the waypoint and loiter for a while. Not sure though, I haven't actually played RoF in a few months. :v:

And you're wrong about photo recon, even in 777's campaign system you just fly over the target area and click a camera button. What you describe would be really awesome though.

Dang.

I think some realism servers for multiplayer have coded something special to make it look like you are taking pictures with the bombsight or something. Too bad that that isn't in the normal game.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I once played a 3 hour mission flying a Ju-52 half-way across the North African coast to drop paratroopers and land dead stick on a friendly airfield because all engines were dead from running out of fuel.

I still have squadmates remind me of how crazy I was to accept and actually complete that mission.

Doing crazy stuff like that is sometimes more fun and intense than just getting into a dogfight.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 8, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's okay, Splode. More pilots were injured or died just trying to fly the Sopwith Camel than they did going into fights with it.

At least that's what anecdotes from pilots suggests.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
"Camels were wonderful fliers when you had got used to them, which took about three months of hard flying. At the end of that time you were either dead, a nervous wreck, or the hell of a pilot and a terror to Huns, who were more unwilling to attack Camels than any other sort of machine except perhaps Bristol Fighters. But then Bristol Fighters weren't fair. They combined the advantages of a scout with that of a two-seater. Huns preferred fighting SEs which were stationary engined scouts more like themselves, for the Germans were not using rotary engines except for their exotic triplanes, and the standard Hun scout was the very orthodox Albatros. They knew where they were with SEs, which obeyed the laws of flight and did as properly stabilized aeroplanes ought to do. If you shot at one, allowing correctly for its speed, you would hit it: it would be going the way it looked as if it were going, following its nose. But not so a Camel. A Camel might be going sideways or flat-spinning, or going in any direction except straight backwards." - Winged Victory, V.M Yeates

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
You can add me as an AI mate and I'll probably join a co-op thing if I can catch a session.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The British Empire

and

Reconnaissance Two-Seaters

I mean look at that Bristol Fighter c'mon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fLzPXjwmw

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

Aww poo poo. :(

The damage modeling in this game is incredible. There's nothing cooler than lining up a deflection shot, unloading some rounds, and seeing one of their wings start to peel away, sending them into a death spiral. Good poo poo.

Except when it peels away and flies into your plane seriously wounding you and destroying your propeller.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

The Casualty posted:

Is that the pilot lying there like a roasted chicken, in the bottom left?

Looks like it.

Here's a great website for photos of WWI and early aviation

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And the Germans loved camouflage and colour patterns even more in WW2.

I suppose it helps that the main boss man of the Luftwaffe was Goering.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Flaming Lawn Darts

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

LordPants posted:

This has no throttle, right?

Correct. The only way you could manage your RPMs with the Gnome Monosoupape Rotary engine was by changing the mixture or by using the blip switch which when depressed grounded the magneto and stopped ignition.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Looks like me and Bondematt are missing from the roster.

Unless there's a cap or something, in which case I am fine to be a replacement when a bunch of you guys die. :getin:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVNr9cn-Q8

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Endman posted:

Jobbo_Fett and Galaga Galaxian, we'll be using the AirGoons mumble (assuming that's okay pixelbaron :ohdear:), deets are:

URL: AirGoons.mumble.cc
Port: 31148

I'm currently chilling in the Rise of Flight channel if you'd like to join me.

That's what it's there for!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Reading material!

Winged Victory
Flying Fury
Knight of Germany
Black Fokker Leader
Aces Falling
Bloody April

Also, Aces High is on Netflix

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's also tail heavy.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Full on double flak burst all the way across the sky. Oh my god.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Light a small plane-shaped candle for each of the fallen.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I can only hope I'll soon be maimed in a flying mishap.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Engine and Weapon control sections are about all you need to look at when you first start binding stuff to your stick.

Galaga: You should get headtracking and then use your PoV switches as buttons. ;)

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 23, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
If you have a webcam you can try FaceTrackNoIR, though I don't know how good it is anymore since I have gotten a TrackIR.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Abongination posted:

This game is amazing, spotted a flight of three German Gotha's while out on my own and decided to have a crack at em. I swooped in and got some shots off but spooked them so badly all three managed to get into uncontrollable spins and crashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64MVrioSqlo

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's pretty good so far. Unfortunately probably going to have that vanilla RoF emptiness to it and Patrick Wilson aint interested in making a generator for WWII.

• Locked thread