Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
wow they really need to find a flatter field for you to land on. Even the AI was wobbling around wildly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

They are. If you nudge the ground even a little bit while travelling at speed you'll do the damage you'd expect. Thankfully, this also means it's possible to shoot off another pilot's wings with your machine-gun. :getin:

This game really does capture the fact that these planes were poo poo kites with tractor engines and crap machineguns stuck to them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

"I can't see anything because my face is covered in oil"

"Well I can't see anything either, my face is covered in blood"

It was a jolly good time

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As the starter of the RoF thread in Games, I guess I'll have to get in on this co-op stuff at some point. I, too, have all the things on Steam, except the latest release of the Hanriot and a few other planes.

Also good job doing this in the co-op while flying over no man's land. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHZZwuybiY

To be fair, it was a false alarm, I didn't actually shoot it off, I was just worried I had because I couldn't see anything at that point.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I figure I'll probably feature as myself again in a future campaign, so there's not much point adding me to the list of names.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Turns out Endman is really good at mid-air collisions with friendly pilots.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh by the way Endman, for your take offs, do you push the stick forward at all? Getting your tail off the ground can help a lot with stabilizing the plane and building up speed for a fast take off. Careful not to smash the prop into the ground or nose over though.

[edit] Here is an example of what I mean, right after throttling, up I push the stick forward to force the nose down/tail up and get some speed. Lets you take off much faster. This was a poor take off too because I was doing it from external view and having trouble judging yaw correction.

I can confirm Endman knows this, he taught it to me yesterday when I drove a sopwith camel into the side of a building because it wouldn't take off (skid at the back was just being dragged through a field). An amusing learning experience.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

It's okay, Splode. More pilots were injured or died just trying to fly the Sopwith Camel than they did going into fights with it.

At least that's what anecdotes from pilots suggests.

That plane is a death trap.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

You may be on fire, shot to pieces and missing half your limbs, but there's no excuse to sacrifice a piece of quality British engineering because you're feeling a bit under the weather. :colbert:

A quality piece of British engineering that has been consistently trying to kill you since you started the engine.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Germany

and

Not Scouts

If I have to vote properly:

Reconnaissance Two-Seaters

Because more co-op antics is always the best choice.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

It is... until you put the giant recoilless AT gun on the front.

57mm of destructive power... if you can hit with it.

Yes please.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/splode26/

watch endman embarrass himself trying to take off in the Gotha!

edit: he couldn't.

Splode fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 9, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

rip

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fresh Meat

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Hartmann's Bane

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bubi was born in 1922. :colbert:

nerd

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can try Rise of Flight for free, the caveat seems to be that you can't use the same email for the free version and then the steam version. (Also, totally look into Il-2 1946, if you like WW2 stuff)

you can, I did this. Put your steam key into the rof website and it'll upgrade your account out of demo mode.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

When are you flying? I'm out this morning but if it's this afternoon I think I'm around.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

I'm doing a mission this morning for people who aren't in the Aussie timezone, but that doesn't mean we can't do an Aussie mission later on :getin:

Fantastic, have fun and good hunting chaps!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

That... might actually be a good idea since I think I hosed up the audio recording and every time I "speak" the audio goes all wonky. My bad. :ohdear:

I'm back, not sure if I own the DH2 though, let me check

edit: I do now!

Splode fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 13, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

Stream it this time, you swine! :rant:

I will, pinky swear. I make no promises about the quality of the stream though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/splode26/

streaming. DH2 practice followed by Endman's mission. Feel free to watch Galaga Galaxian's stream if mine is broken

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Teaser for every mission today:

leading theory is I was destroyed by ghosts. My plane just went bang in mid-air, no flak, no collision. Hrmm.

Splode fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 13, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

LordPants posted:

:negative:

edit: Press A to Take Off.

To be fair, LordPants and I are rank amateurs trying to take off in a D.H.2 with a really strong crosswind.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Start engine, rev up, nose down slightly and wait for take-off. I found the D.H.2 to be surprisingly easy to fly.

I can take off in the D.H.2 reasonably easily, but not with a strong crosswind. Anyway, that last mission was great!

edit: truly a miracle occurred:

Splode fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 13, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Metrilenkki posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, but if any aspiring RFC cadets want to really set the mood then Sagittarius Rising is a definite pro-read about one person's experiences as a flight officer in the Great War. Spoilers: Total. Insanity.

Just picked this up

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well the good news is that WW1 Biplanes in general are less complicated mechanically than WW2 planes, but it has a different set of challenges to keep tabs on.

less complicated here meaning 'doesn't have a throttle'

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

LordPants posted:

Seeing myself fall out of the sky was pretty funny too.
Yeah that was pretty great

*clunk*

"Was that you?"

After viewing the footage I think I was killed by friendly flak during the second mission, but it is a mystery.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

For those of you who were disappointed about missing out on that mission:

The three of us took off in Dr Is, and flew to No-man's land. During this flight, Lordpants had to go and put himself on autopilot.

We soon spotted a flight of 4 S.E.5as. "Cool, this will be a challenge!"

Then 30 seconds later we spotted two flights of Sopwith Camels (5 and 3 aircraft). Uh oh.

Endman immediately took a shot in the engine and was out of the fight, and the enemy graciously letting him land in a field.

I was now alone (except for a bot) against 12 enemy aircraft. I got a few bursts off but the situation was hopeless. I took a hit and my vision was obscured by blood. Another pass and engine oil filled my face, and a third hit brought me closer to death. A fourth pass was enough to finally kill me, and my triplane spiralled to the ground.

Steam boops with a message from Lordpants: "Did I miss everything?"

All in all, it was a complete massacre and over very quickly.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

A good way of doing two-seater missions is to start everyone as a pilot, so everyone gets a second chance as a gunner if they die (you can occupy crew positions mid mission).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That was not my day, I died at the beginning of every mission without fail. I'm looking forward to not flying the DH2!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

LordPants posted:

Endman you are far too much of a gentleman for not complaining each time I attacked your target or flew dangerously in front of you. :allears:

Yeah when I was watching that I was horrified a few times. If you try that poo poo on me I'll shoot you down myself!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My joystick is that Logitech one, cost me thirty bucks and I've played loads of games with it. The sooner you buy game hardware the better value it is. If I'd bought a track ir for Arma 2 I'd have used it for il2 and rise of flight, when I buy one soon it'll mainly only be used for rof, and whatever future titles. Wish I'd bought one earlier.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, our little dicking around session is over now. Fun times everyone! Sorry Splode for repeatedly mudering you during the serious part. :shobon:

The bomber+SE5a dicking around was hilarious though. I also learned the Handley Page can perform a loop. In fact, just before we quit, I managed to do a triple loop, it wasn't very straight but hey!

Handley Page Loopdey-loop (gfycat)

Haha that's ok. I just need more practice. To be honest it was mostly a morale thing, I saw it was you, panicked, and snapped my wings off trying to flee.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

In rise of flight, the bar is lower. If you're incapable of taking off, you only need the ability to swallow your pride and hit 'a'. If you can't take off please don't die trying, restarting missions takes forever.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Hahaha bad luck Endman!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yep! Poorly organised and we've all been busy, but we did have a thing a few weeks ago.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Throttle to idle! That's the step I'd forgotten in the 'how not to die spinning' procedure! Thanks Charlie

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neruz posted:

While amusing and cartoonish at first I think they are actually relatively correct; I remember reading about how some pilots actually did throw bricks at each other really early on.

The planes are all recognisable too, which I thought was pretty neat. Even has a few planes missing from RoF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, it already has the pistol shooting mechanic. Hold a pistols-only match?

You wouldn't get to experience the bizarre terror of early war planes though

• Locked thread