Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jack Oxide reporting for duty flight school :pilot: I should also probably install this at some point.

I should get some co-op stuff set up for my LP and watch the chaos begin :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dooky Dingo posted:

Man, this game looked like so much fun, I downloaded the demo version, went through all the updates, etc...
You can TECHNICALLY play this game with a mouse and keyboard, but the game goes out of its way to actively punish you for it. It is so stinking difficult and you have to remap literally all of your keys to have it make any kind of sense. Even then, I have to push "autopilot" every 3 seconds to stop from meeting the ground face to face.
:sigh: Oh well, I'll just have to live vicariously through my digital sprite getting gunned down by Gerry.

Technically you can play flight sims with KB+Mouse but as you experienced, the difficulty isn't worth it. If you have any modern controller (Xbox 360, PS3, etc.) you should be able to hook it up to your pc and use that. I can safely say it works for Il-2 1946.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pun pundit posted:

So I can vaguely remember reading that three confirmed kills is what makes a pilot an ace. Is this in any way correct? Is Conrad Kurtz an ace now?

It's five confirmed kills :eng101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

Turns out Endman is really good at mid-air collisions with friendly pilots.

:getin:

Is it as bad as my campaign?

E: Also, Endman, do you use Audacity or anything for audio editing? It sometimes gets hard to hear you while you're in your cockpit. Some auto-ducking would help with that.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 8, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, you yourself have yet to collide with anyone, I think.

I wonder who will be the first to pull a "Hartmann" though. :v:

Once planes start getting cannons! :getin:

I need to start reading up on World War I aircraft, I know there's a few I'm anxious to see.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly if I knew anything about recording/editing video, I would've made a RoF LP myself, but Endman beat me to it. Just as well, I have a terrible nerdvoice. :v:

Just means Co-op times are going to be even more fun. I just dropped 50$ on this game, and I should be able to have it up and running soon enough.

Hell, if the skins work the same as in Il-2, I'll make some skins for the people in this thread.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Skins are .tga files, and unfortunately my attempts to make a custom skin never worked quite right:

This is the closest I got to it working, but the layering, especially weathering, wasn't working right for some reason, so it looks far to vibrant. The problems were mostly due to GIMP I think.

Ugh, I hate .tga files. Weathering shouldn't be that big a deal, as you could just add some yourself. Same goes for the vibrancy. Do you have markings on? Trying to figure out why your white G is off-set and showing both the white and black.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pixelbaron posted:

Did Patrick Wilson ever get artillery spotting and photo recon mission generation into his campaign generator?

That sounds pretty cool, I hope it is.

I have boring tastes, shut up :saddowns:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pixelbaron posted:

If he finally put it in then I would suggest a Recon role in the next career. ;)

I once played a 3 hour mission flying a Ju-52 half-way across the North African coast to drop paratroopers and land dead stick on a friendly airfield because all engines were dead from running out of fuel.

I still have squadmates remind me of how crazy I was to accept and actually complete that mission.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm just going to point to this one thing about parachutes.

"Although a number of famous German fighter pilots were saved by this type of parachute, including Hermann Göring,[22] no parachutes were issued to Allied "heavier-than-air" aircrew, since it was thought at the time that if a pilot had a parachute he would jump from the plane when hit rather than trying to save the aircraft.[23]"

:stonklol:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

You may be on fire, shot to pieces and missing half your limbs, but there's no excuse to sacrifice a piece of quality British engineering because you're feeling a bit under the weather. :colbert:

Stiff upper lip wasn't about facing adversity with dignity it was about early onset rigormortis.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

It certainly puts Sir Winston Churchill's speech about never surrendering into a bit of context. Britain won't surrender even if they've horribly mutilated everyone and their gran just to fight you.

The same guy who thought Gallipoli was a good idea :ghost:

Guy knew how to read a speech, but what a lovely tactician

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
La Troisième République and Scouts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

It is... until you put the giant recoilless AT gun on the front.

57mm of destructive power... if you can hit with it.

I accept this challenge

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

I'll have to see if I can land on top of a balloon. :v:

Sounds like a great co-op mission!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I wish there were parachutes available. That way you could bail out and shoot at enemy planes while slowly falling towards the ground.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Those are the best in this game because of the soft body physics and breakable parts. I still remember this older flight sim from the mid 2000s where crashing just caused a 3D crater model to form where you landed with a few random parts of your plane scattered around it. Combat Something?

Combat Flight Simulator maybe?

Most games do that, modern or old. It simplifies a lot to just have a plane explode when contacting the ground at high velocity, compared to Rise of Flight taking more physics into account and how it affects the aircraft.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Nah, it was a smaller game without the Microsoft brand. It was an early example of free-to-play, being able to download a demo version with only a few planes and I think only a limited number of AI battles. I remember that PC Gamer's demo discs once had a download for it.

Jane's Combat Simulator is the only other thing I can think of that would have Combat in the name.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not even sure what kind of career I'll play!

ALL THE CAREERS!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Swastika was a sign of luck and prosperity and it was common for World War 1 pilots to have/use them. That's how Finland came to use the swastika as their national air force's symbol, from the first plane gifted to them carrying that particular good luck charm.

And the Germans loved camouflage and colour patterns even more in WW2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, its just kinda funny (if a bit sad) in hindsight. And yeah, German Camo is always fun, I really love those smooshed/lopsided hex patterns they used a lot in WW1.

Right. The same applies to firearms too, as there are known examples of German K98k's with nazi stamps getting Star of David stamps next to them.

The hex patterns were cool, if sometimes a little gaudy with the colors they chose.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pixelbaron posted:

I suppose it helps that the main boss man of the Luftwaffe was Goering.

I assumed that it had nothing to do with Goering. I mean, just look at the variety of camouflage patterns that many different squadrons employed (even going so far as disobeying direct orders to keep certain patterns). And that doesn't even include the incredible amount of AFV camouflage they developed.

Besides, Goering was such a tryhard that couldn't get enough of Hitler's only testicle it made Eva Braun look like Catholic nun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No. 69 Squadron (Goonian) - British
Jasta 42 (Lazy Fokkers) - German
Escadrille 22 (Les Quebecois) - French

pixelbaron posted:

The ROYAL Flaming Lawn Darts

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One (you should really watch this one)
Two
Three (I usually avoid firing this far away, but the Nieuport was outrunning me)

I should start making gifs...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bubi was born in 1922. :colbert:

Clearly he meant his father, duh!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:getin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grumio posted:

If it's not too late, could you add me in as a squadron member?

Seriously tempted to buy this game, I've been looking to get back into proper flight sims after playing War Thunder

You can try Rise of Flight for free, the caveat seems to be that you can't use the same email for the free version and then the steam version. (Also, totally look into Il-2 1946, if you like WW2 stuff)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

you can, I did this. Put your steam key into the rof website and it'll upgrade your account out of demo mode.

Ah, I had read otherwise on some forums. Good to know!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Time to go buy it. Ready to rock and roll!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

No worries. You can live vicariously through the achievements of an AI pilot instead.

Jobbo_Fett and Galaga Galaxian, we'll be using the AirGoons mumble (assuming that's okay pixelbaron :ohdear:), deets are:

URL: AirGoons.mumble.cc
Port: 31148

I'm currently chilling in the Rise of Flight channel if you'd like to join me.

Installing mumble asap

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I could've streamed, sorry I didn't think about it. :(

Technically I could've too... I didn't even think about saving my audio or the track.

(I demand a do-over! And not because I died :black101:)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

Splode and I are currently chilling in the mumble if you guys want to refly the mission.

I wish wasn't working :( I would've loved getting in the air again. :sigh:

Hopefully, AI Jack Oxide won't get rammed by enemy eindeckers! (And I'll make sure to get my streaming gear in order so that I can save stuff on my end, in case you want extra scenes/video.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I knew that, and I swear I typed Mauser. :psyduck:

It's because everyone was/is subconsciously brainwashed to think all German pistols are Lugers. :freep:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

Teaser for every mission today:

:iiam:

:shepface: Keeping the Lawn Dart name strong!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Start engine, rev up, nose down slightly and wait for take-off. I found the D.H.2 to be surprisingly easy to fly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In the immortal words of Endman... "Apply directly to forehead"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hotwire posted:

I've started a DH.2 career to get used to the plane, and while I love it when I see a bundle of E-III's flying around, I can't help but sigh every time my flight goes for a bunch of Rolands.

That's why co-op is awesome. You get to roll up in your DH.2 with all your buddies like :getin: ready to rock and roll and wreck some Germans.

Then you see them go after Rolands :v:

The secret to a good co-op mission is how badly you can screw up, yet still make it back home alive

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 13, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

This is kinda making me want to finally stop being lazy and buy a new joystick. I spent years using an old Logitech with a built-in throttle tab and twist yaw (so old that I used it on Battlefield 1942 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X when they were both new), before it finally bit the dust from overworking it.

Do iiiiiit. Flight sims like RoF are a ton of fun (Cost aside).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

We're doing another Co-op mission if anyone is interested. (Just the one though.)

Damnit, why is it always when I'm at work?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LordPants posted:

Oh thank god for that.

I lectured the other two about the finer points of criminal law, took off then promptly declared "welp, see ya later" and afk'd.

Top quality stuff.

I've learned this is great commentary if you're streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sounds like you guys could've used an Ace! :pilot:

• Locked thread