Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I vote for British flying boats. I demand comedy and this seems like the best method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hotwire posted:

That crash was my favorite kind. By which I mean one where the plane doesn't explode.

*Clunk*

Those are the best in this game because of the soft body physics and breakable parts. I still remember this older flight sim from the mid 2000s where crashing just caused a 3D crater model to form where you landed with a few random parts of your plane scattered around it. Combat Something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Combat Flight Simulator maybe?

Most games do that, modern or old. It simplifies a lot to just have a plane explode when contacting the ground at high velocity, compared to Rise of Flight taking more physics into account and how it affects the aircraft.

Nah, it was a smaller game without the Microsoft brand. It was an early example of free-to-play, being able to download a demo version with only a few planes and I think only a limited number of AI battles. I remember that PC Gamer's demo discs once had a download for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are you sure that legally counts as an aircraft? I'm pretty sure they didn't even finish it before giving it to us.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is kinda making me want to finally stop being lazy and buy a new joystick. I spent years using an old Logitech with a built-in throttle tab and twist yaw (so old that I used it on Battlefield 1942 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X when they were both new), before it finally bit the dust from overworking it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

First casualty: a moron flying his plane into his own teammate in an empty part of the sky.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That Roland reminds me a bit of the Spirit of St. Louis.

Just, you know, you can see out of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Why does the sopwith triplane have a desk fan bolted onto the right truss?

I believe that's just the airspeed indicator, relying on the speed of air rushing past to estimate it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Casualty posted:

Holy crap. That thing is just using air resistance against the block to act against the spring and point in the vague direction of some sort of speed, isn't it.

I think anything that purely relies on the wind blowing past the indicator can be described as "pointing in the vague direction" of your actual speed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neruz posted:

While amusing and cartoonish at first I think they are actually relatively correct; I remember reading about how some pilots actually did throw bricks at each other really early on.

It's cartoonish, but absolutely correct. World War I still tried to cling to "sportsmanship" and gentlemanly conduct of war among officers at the start (though obviously it ended up being such a horrific and damaging war that it permanently destroyed the concept), which meant that pilots of the early scouting planes would simply ignore or even wave at each other. Eventually they began to realize that they were freely allowing the enemy to scout out their positions, which was kinda stupid, and started trying to take each other down. They started out by hauling pistols or rifles into the planes (which were almost impossible to aim, especially big bolt-action rifles) or even throwing bricks at the pilots or trying to tangle their propellers with rope. The first recorded air-to-air kill was actually caused by a pilot ramming the tail of another plane, sending them both down.

It all came to a head when the countries started mounting machine guns on their aircraft and pilots even started hurling hand grenades at ground positions (starting in 1911 during the Italo-Turkish War), steadily creating the fighter & bomber dynamic of air combat.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 23, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Endman posted:

I have to admit, I'm always disappointed that Rise of Flight starts with 1916. It would be great to have to rely on brick hurling to take out your enemies in one of those 1914 aeroplanes that was built to look like a bat or something.

I mean, it already has the pistol shooting mechanic. Hold a pistols-only match?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neruz posted:

I think the game would be markedly improved by random and unpredictable crosswinds during all stages. Flying along and woop now you're goin sideways.

So GTA V flying physics?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wanna try something unusual, so let's go for German seaplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neruz posted:

An anti material rifle intended for use against armored trucks maybe? Did they use armored trucks in WWI? I have no idea :shrug:

Yeah, World War I used lots of armored cars that were literally cars or trucks with armor plating slapped on them, like the Belgian Minerva.

The Becker 20mm gun was first mass produced in 1916 (the year of that video) and used on aircraft, so it's accurate for the time period.

• Locked thread