Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What is the best way of life? Like, should we be living to maximize our happiness? Our service to other people? Physical pleasure? Strict adherence to a particular set of religious maxims?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

being gay

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The only way to win is not to play

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 4, 2014

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
Hedonism

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
being queer and feeling gay

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ahundredbux posted:

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas
Waking up at 4 am to raid based on excel spreadsheet probability tables

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
generous amounts of opiates

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

but really op
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Minorkos posted:

being gay

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Smoke big blunts and gently caress bad bitches, all while stackin paper G, ya wit me?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best way of life is being so stupidly rich you and generations of your grandchildren will never have to work a day in their lives, having at least four wives and living in country where the law does not apply to you so you can do whatever the hell you want

this guy knows whats up:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

play MMORPGs

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zzulu posted:

The best way of life is being so stupidly rich you and generations of your grandchildren will never have to work a day in their lives, having at least four wives and living in country where the law does not apply to you so you can do whatever the hell you want

this guy knows whats up:

agreed, bono is living the life

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ahundredbux posted:

came to post this

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
what if you could somehow smoke weed

every day

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

As a proponent of hedonism, I must decry this philosophy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ahundredbux posted:

what if you could somehow smoke weed

every day

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Zzulu posted:

this guy knows whats up:

yeah I want to be a hollywood star too

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
but for real

be born into a rich white family in america

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Now that's hedonism! :420:

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

You married? Do you have kids or ever want kids? If the answer is no, then go with Hedonism. If the answer is yes, then give up. You just have to do the best you can and be happy with what you have rather than pine away for what you think you want.

Or the Conan quote. That's pretty good in life too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ahundredbux posted:

allahu akbar friend

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 4, 2014

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

praxis posted:

You married? Do you have kids or ever want kids? If the answer is no, then go with Hedonism. If the answer is yes, then give up. You just have to do the best you can and be happy with what you have rather than pine away for what you think you want.

Or the Conan quote. That's pretty good in life too.

This person is correct. Don't choose hedonism if you have children.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
420666 smoke weed and hail satan

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ProfessorMurder posted:

understandable op lets have a Socratic dialogue about it. :)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Daimo posted:

The Game just wouldn't have been the same movie.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school
Live slow, die whenever.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

constantly remind yourself of the futility of life and drink yourself into an early death

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
the best way of life is to suffer and die in agonizing torture in the service of god

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

i also wanted to post that. you have good taste.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cuniculous posted:

Live slow, die whenever.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Zzulu posted:

allahu akbar friend

GOTTA PULL MY SOCKS UP OVER MY TRACKSUIT PANTS

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ProfessorMurder posted:

Lawman 0 posted:

understandable op lets have a Socratic dialogue about it. :)

Isn't stoicism technically a "hedonistic" philosophy as it acknowledges that seeking pleasure and avoiding pain is the prime motivator for human action?

My understanding was the only difference between Stoicism and Epicurianism (which is what most modern people actually mean when they say "hedonism") was their approach to how that pleasure should be experienced.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's only this hosed up.
I start realizing all this living is just dying
and if these are my friends, if this is my home,
if this is how i spend my nights, how I communicate, and demonstrate a love of life.
My eyes roll into the back of my head, if these are the last words that I've ever said
No I'm not ready to die just yet.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Daimo posted:

This too.

Tertiary answer: Hail Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Isn't stoicism technically a "hedonistic" philosophy as it acknowledges that seeking pleasure and avoiding pain is the prime motivator for human action?

My understanding was the only difference between Stoicism and Epicurianism (which is what most modern people actually mean when they say "hedonism") was their approach to how that pleasure should be experienced.

stoicism does not acknowledge that, and hedonism requires the active seeking of pleasure, which stoicism rejects

• Locked thread