Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

When that segment came on Toonami a few weeks back i was surprised that that first part of the music was actually in the show and not something added to the video. Of course i watch Shippuden whenever i get the chance and i get confused as all hell, hopefully this game can shed some light on this subject!

Anyway as soon as you metioned the it was the guys behind Asura's Wrath that did this game as well i expected great things and the first boss fight did not disappoint. About those conditions you get as well, the ones that are "cannot Awaken/use Ultimate Jutsu" and the like would those even matter for sombody going through the game the first time? I don't imagine you would have anything at that point that lets you use status ailments for example or even if you knew what Awakening was you probalby didn't know what it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Hidden Valley village is in River Country, between Fire/Leaf and Wind/Sand, and south of Rain. The name is the only thing we know about them. The status of their ranches are also unknown.

See, I can pretend I'm informative in this thread, too! :v:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

When that segment came on Toonami a few weeks back i was surprised that that first part of the music was actually in the show and not something added to the video. Of course i watch Shippuden whenever i get the chance and i get confused as all hell, hopefully this game can shed some light on this subject!

Anyway as soon as you metioned the it was the guys behind Asura's Wrath that did this game as well i expected great things and the first boss fight did not disappoint. About those conditions you get as well, the ones that are "cannot Awaken/use Ultimate Jutsu" and the like would those even matter for sombody going through the game the first time? I don't imagine you would have anything at that point that lets you use status ailments for example or even if you knew what Awakening was you probalby didn't know what it did.

On a first playthrough? For the most part, no. Especially since, in theory, you're faking your way through the first fight, and therefore you probably don't have any idea what you're doing into the second fight.
The game has some in-game text tutorials that tell you about these mechanics, but it's likely that first time players won't stumble on them. Naruto is locked out of using Awakening for most of the story mode, and you're forced to use him throughout most of the starting section, so it's a moot point. It would be possible, though unlikely, for a player to figure out Ultimate Jutsus in the first fight, but I don't think it's gonna impact a new player's ability that much when they have to do the boss fight next. And I don't think that the game lets you construct battle items that cause status effects until at least halfway through your first playthrough, so that's out as well. Part of it is probably that the game wants to restrict the player to make sure they have time to learn the mechanics more, and part of it is that those restrictions are true of almost all, if not all, of the boss fights.

That said, I realize that I haven't actually said too much about how the game plays past "Here I'm doing a thing and wow look at how cool it looks" and "It's pretty simple to pick up with a decent learning curve when it comes to real play". If anyone wants to see the mechanics broken down, I can do a quick tutorial video on how to do each type of attack and the other ninja movements available in the game. Most of the mechanics carry over from game to game with only minor changes, so if you pick up one of the Steam games or something it could still be a handy guide.

dancingbears posted:

Hidden Valley village is in River Country, between Fire/Leaf and Wind/Sand, and south of Rain. The name is the only thing we know about them. The status of their ranches are also unknown.

See, I can pretend I'm informative in this thread, too! :v:

That's hosed up. I wanna know main imports/exports and figure out if there are ninja who have dressing-based techniques. This is important!

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
I saw a lot of Bleach making GBS threads going on and as the Bleach apologist I have to step in while also putting in my piece on Naruto.

I got way too into arguing with dumb people so I know all the reasons why Bleach is squandered.
It isn't the authors fault, in fact, Kubo fell to the same trap that a lot of people in the Western comic industry are prone to. The ever inevitable editorial mandate. You see after the Soul Society arc happened, Shinigami became like the ultimate envision of cash cows, and it got to the point where the only way that Kubo could get people invested in any other part of the mythos was by making Ichigo this chimera of powers related directly to the villains and where they come from. It'd be kind of like in DBZ instead of Goku being a Saiyen and his friends and family the focus of the story, instead Piccolo became way more important and suddenly Namekians were everywhere and solving every problem- that is essentially what happened for Bleach. So the current arc, which is the final one because Kubo got sick of editors yanking him around and ruining his previous arc (the Fullbringers- ie humans with supernatural powers like Chad) where he tried to be less dumb DBZ poo poo that didn't focus on people and make it like JoJo's Bizarre Adventures and have psychological intrigue, but because his ratings in the magazine were poor his editors were like "Alright you had your fun, put the Shinigami in". He decided that was the last straw and decided "gently caress it, I'm killing half my characters and ending the series, and you can't stop me." Since it has so little investment and the author has full control like he did around the start, the series has been way more enjoyable in my opinion, I admit people might not like how it is, but hell it's better than Aizen.

NOW THEN ONTO THE RELEVANCE OF NARUTO.
My opinion of Naruto is that everything prior to the current events in "Ultimate that other game 3", the story was still good and still held potential to progress well even with the stupid ninja magic DBZ herp because I liked the character and the story. Also the Akatsuki still had some intrigue behind them so you could only guess what they were up to. There is a certain point within the story where it gets bad for me and I begin to hate Naruto's Josuke Higashikata-esque abilities to make people his friends by beating them up (which has been a thing since the Zabuza arc) like to a point I can't even use the handwave about Shonen Hero symptoms. I'm not going to say when because you guys don't wanna spoiler stuff, but after it comes up I'll mention it and the downfall from there, and it really helped me come to terms with some of the other problems Kishimoto has as a writer- namely shortchanging the female characters, including Sakura (oh Sakura...you could have been a contender) . In the end...I used to like Naruto but given recent developments I've fallen out of it really hard.

...at least One Piece is still good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TCat posted:

...at least One Piece is still good.

In my opinion One Piece went off the deep end at Thriller Bark and hit rock bottom at Marineford then never recovered.

Rest In (One) Piece you beautiful series. :japan:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JordanKai posted:

In my opinion One Piece went off the deep end at Thriller Bark and hit rock bottom at Marineford then never recovered.

That's a funny way of saying had the best arc of the year. Though this is neither the time nor place.

Anyway about the game itself, I always liked Cyberconnect2's fighting games. (And I always loved they were Cyberconnect2 and the fictional company in the .Hack// universe is simply Cyberconnect) So as completely loving horrid as Naruto got, and really if we'll be honest this is anywhere from 'the chuunin exams starting' to 'the transition into shippuden', the games were always fairly strong and fun to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TCat posted:

NOW THEN ONTO THE RELEVANCE OF NARUTO.
My opinion of Naruto is that everything prior to the current events in "Ultimate that other game 3", the story was still good and still held potential to progress well even with the stupid ninja magic DBZ herp because I liked the character and the story. Also the Akatsuki still had some intrigue behind them so you could only guess what they were up to. There is a certain point within the story where it gets bad for me and I begin to hate Naruto's Josuke Higashikata-esque abilities to make people his friends by beating them up (which has been a thing since the Zabuza arc) like to a point I can't even use the handwave about Shonen Hero symptoms. I'm not going to say when because you guys don't wanna spoiler stuff, but after it comes up I'll mention it and the downfall from there, and it really helped me come to terms with some of the other problems Kishimoto has as a writer- namely shortchanging the female characters, including Sakura (oh Sakura...you could have been a contender) . In the end...I used to like Naruto but given recent developments I've fallen out of it really hard.

When one of the villains was described unironically as "the essence of Kishi's misogyny given form" in the manga thread without anybody disagreeing with it, it really drives home how badly he treats women. It's certainly one of the manga's biggest failings.

I found the solution to the bell test much better in the manga, in that Naruto and Sakura actually used intelligent tactics to outsmart Kakashi.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Torrannor posted:

When one of the villains was described unironically as "the essence of Kishi's misogyny given form" in the manga thread without anybody disagreeing with it, it really drives home how badly he treats women. It's certainly one of the manga's biggest failings.

I found the solution to the bell test much better in the manga, in that Naruto and Sakura actually used intelligent tactics to outsmart Kakashi.

Yeah but that wouldn't make for an interesting open world game that just grabs fighting game mechanics to shove in the middle.

JordanKai posted:

Thriller Bark was really out of place and Marineford was just DRAMATIC EDGE to set up the timeskip, but after that One Piece just went back up into it's usual shenanigans. I know there's plenty of people that became butthurt and crylord after Ace got killed but trust me it got better. Besides if that didn't happen they'd still be getting effected by the "man nobody dies in [insert shonen anime here]" joke... although since it happened it did put pressure on the other series to up their game so I guess it's partially problematic on that front.

TCat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 13, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I find I've always enjoyed the big shounen series a lot more when I don't follow them, and just check in every few years to reread the whole thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I thought Marineford was actually really cool. I liked that Luffy just gathered up a bunch of his former villains to try and save the day.

Though the anime's pacing of it was terrible. Constant flashbacks and random scenes of dudes with no names fighting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Onmi posted:

Anyway about the game itself, I always liked Cyberconnect2's fighting games. (And I always loved they were Cyberconnect2 and the fictional company in the .Hack// universe is simply Cyberconnect) So as completely loving horrid as Naruto got, and really if we'll be honest this is anywhere from 'the chuunin exams starting' to 'the transition into shippuden', the games were always fairly strong and fun to me.

The best part was .hack's CC Corp were basically the villains. Especially in GU where they basically made 8 people go insane to try to resurrect an AI and make their profits go up again.
Goddamnit GU why did you have to squander your...everything!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Paper Bomb

Today, we fight off terrorists and take performance-enhancing drugs on our way to the Hidden Sand Village! Also, the plot begins to take shape for the first official chapter of the game, so I hope you're excited for THAT!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Deidara
A member of the Akatsuki. His abilities mainly focus on his ability to channel his chakra into clay, in order to create moving clay creatures that attack for him. Also his chakra is explosive, and so his clay animals are equally explosive. He sees his creations as works of art and is rather vain about beauty and his abilities. Due to his focus on long-range techniques, he is weak in close combat. He wears a scope on his left eye for long-range observation.

Gaara
The current leader of the Hidden Sand Village and vessel for the One-Tailed Shukaku. After having gained Naruto’s empathy over their shared experiences, Gaara has made it his mission to gain other’s respect. He does his best to be understanding and accommodating to all. His abilities are focus around sand manipulation, particularly the sand located in the gourd on his back. Since his sand manipulation takes a lot of power, he moves very slowly.

Konohamaru
Grandchild of the Third Hokage. He wants to grow up to become the Hokage, originally to escape the shadow of his grandfather and the expectations put on him. However, Naruto teaches him that there are no shortcuts to becoming Hokage, and so he sees Naruto as an unofficial mentor and constantly tests him to see if he can surpass Naruto. He learned most of his techniques from Naruto, including the Shadow Clone Technique and the Sexy no Jutsu.

Baki
One of the lead council members for the Hidden Sand Village. Originally the leader of Gaara and Temari's ninja group (along with their brother, Kankuro), he now acts as a council leader in order to help keep the peace in the village and watch over Gaara.

Glossary Terms For This Update

Kazekage
The leader of the Hidden Sand Village. There have been five Kazekages in the history of the Hidden Sand Village, with Gaara acting as the fifth and current Kazekage. Gaara’s father was the fourth Kazekage.

One-Tailed Shukaku
The Tailed Beast sealed inside of Gaara, taking the form of a tanuki. As an entity, Shukaku is wild and short-tempered, with a constant desire to kill. Its personality and power caused young Gaara to frequently lose control and release Shukaku, causing much destruction and death within the Hidden Sand Village.

Akatsuki
A criminal organization of high-ranking rouge ninja. Their main mission is to capture the Tailed Beasts in order to harness their power and start and all-out war with Ninja World. Members of the Akatsuki almost always work in groups of two, in order to have complementary powers.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 19, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, we continue our search for the Kazekage, and Tsunade's sending backup, and they've got the full Power of Youth on their side! Two ninja teams are now on the mission, but are two heads better than one? I dunno, but there's A LOT of fighting this episode!

Might Guy
The leader of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Guy. While he has no talent for ninjutsu, he is a master of taijutsu and recognized as one of the most physically powerful ninja in the Hidden Leaf Village. Might Guy is corny and old-fashioned, always going on about the “Power of Youth” and making a signature thumbs-up pose. He is an emphatic leader who, while a little optimistic and forgetful, always looks out for his students and friends. He has a friendly rivalry with Kakashi, though Kakashi does not participate or acknowledge anything of the sort.

Rock Lee
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Guy. Just like his teacher, he has no talent for ninjutsu, but is a powerful taijutsu user. Due to their similar circumstances and the subsequent bonding, Rock Lee changed his appearance to be more like that of Might Guy. His personality also became very similar, as he is also passionate, energetic, and tends to be a bit air-headed. He wears heavy weights around his legs to restrict his movement, meaning he could very well be the most agile and physically powerful ninja of his generation.

Tenten
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Guy. Her main focus is in armed combat, and she keeps all of her weapons sealed in a giant scroll on her back. From kunai to a gigantic spiked ball, and even an entire warship, Tenten can keep any weapon sealed in her scroll. She is intelligent and tends to be more easy-going than the other members of Team Guy, but she is very serious when it comes to missions. She tends to act as support for the team due to her analytical abilities, but she can hold her own in a fight.

Neji Hyuga
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Guy. Although he surpassed his teammates and became a jonin, he still tries to participate in missions with his team. He is a very serious person with a stern demeanor. As a wielder of the Byakugan, his attacks focus on restricting chakra flow rather than dealing physical damage. His family heritage allows him a number of techniques unique to his clan, most of which augment the abilities his Byakugan gives him.

Kisame Hoshigaki
A member of the Akatsuki and one of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist. He wields a scale-covered sword from the Hidden Mist Village that is meant to shave and mutilate opponents. Kisame is sadistic and aggressive, and is quick to fight in situation. He has many shark-like features and also literal gills on his body. This goes well with many of his water-element jutsus, his most powerful of which creates large bodies of water which can engulf his battlefield. He is also said to have more chakra than any other Akatsuki member, and possibly any other ninja.

Chiyo
An old woman, grandmother to Sasori, and ex-counselor for the Hidden Sand Village. She is wise, but very grumpy. She is a famed puppeteer and medical ninja, her main focus being in poisons. She has a long-standing rivalry with Tsunade in medical ninjutsu.

Itachi Uchiha
A member of the Akatsuki and the brother of Sasuke Uchiha. After betraying his clan by killing everyone in the clan except for Sasuke, he left to join the Akatsuki in order to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village. He is a calm individual who very rarely shows signs of emotions, and he prefers not to fight unless it is necessary. His fighting style is based around his Sharingan power that allows him to create illusions for anyone who makes eye contact with him, and taking advantage of the confusion.

Glossary Terms for This Update

Taijutsu
A catch-all term for any technique based around martial arts or the optimization of natural human abilities. These techniques do not require chakra use or hand seals, and are entirely based on the user’s physical and mental abilities. Every member of Team Guy uses taijutsu almost exclusively.

Bukijutsu
A catch-all term for any technique based around the use of weapons. Like taijutsu, these techniques do not require chakra use or hand seals, but every weapon requires its own level of mastery. Tenten is the series’ main user of bukijutsu, having mastered the use of every type of weapon.

Chakra Gates
A series of eight “gates” within a person’s body that limits chakra flow. By removing these gates, a person can gain increased strength and physical ability, at the cost of serious internal bodily damage. If all eight gates are released, the user will reach their maximum physical limit, but will absolutely die. The only three characters known to have opened chakra gates are Kakashi, Rock Lee, and Might Guy.

Byakugan
Considered one of the Three Great Eye Techniques and a technique unique to the Hyuga clan. Unlike the other dojutsu, everyone in the Hyuga family can use this technique from birth, and does not require any sort of awakening. When activated, the Byakugan gives the user a near-360 degree field of vision, as well as increasing their field of vision greatly, with the most powerful user increasing it to 10km. It also allows the user to see through walls, smokescreens, and illusions. Finally, the user can see chakra flows, whether it be in seals, in nature, or even in people.

Nine Tails
The Tailed Beast inside of Naruto, taking the form of a kitsune. As an entity, the Nine Tails is cynical and intelligent. Due to all of the effort spent to capture it and seal it, the Nine Tails has become dismissive of humans, and desires to kill all of humanity. It can sense negative emotions, and so every time Naruto begins to feel hat, the Nine Tails takes advantage of his compromised emotional state in order to try and take over his body.

Jinchuriki
The term used to refer to the vessels of the Tailed Beasts. They tend to be ostracized from their community, due to many people seeing them as just new forms for the much-hated Tailed Beasts. Each Jinchuriki shows incredible power due to the chakra of the Tailed Beasts following through them, and with enough control they can manifest their Tailed Beast either as extensions of themselves, or as a separate entity.

Tailed Beasts
A group of nine living forms of chakra. They each manifest as large monsters with a number of tails, ranging from one to nine. They have an incredible amount of power and more chakra than any person could possibly possess on their own, which they can transfer to any other entity that they wish. While each of them used to run free, they have all been sealed into humans at this point.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Posting here to say that this LP owns way more than it should.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You guys put a lot more effort into this LP than it deserves. I was laughing my rear end off when I saw the logos changing on screen during the Sandzer Dragoon/Gaar Fox section.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
:eng99: :"Hrmm, it seems he was only trying to buy time. Well, better stand around in a field while I dump exposition on you."

Also I'm just going to echo the above posters, I know jack poo poo about Naruto besides it often being a perfectly acceptable punchline and this LP owns.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Aw, it's good to hear that we're doing good work! We're here to have fun and make this as enjoyable as possible, so it's always good to hear that people are enjoying what we do!
Since you guys are so nice (and also because episode 4 was kinda short) I thought I'd do an extra update today!

Today, Team Guy and Team 7 make it to the Akatsuki hideout, only to find it blocked off with an incredibly strong barrier! Will our heroes be able to break the seal in time to save Gaara? Or has the sand in the hourglass run out?

Characters and Glossary Terms for this Episode

None! That certainly makes my life easier today!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

:eng99: :"Hrmm, it seems he was only trying to buy time. Well, better stand around in a field while I dump exposition on you."

I'm fully convinced that all anime monologues and exposition dumps happen in an alternate time-space that doesn't affect the world around it. How else does the original DBZ explain the ending of the Namek arc?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ChorpSaway posted:

How else does the original DBZ explain the ending of the Namek arc?

The same answer as any other anime series that's done before the manga finishes - they ran out of filler ideas and had to stretch a couple of chapters, which take about five minutes to read, into seven episodes, but felt that saying "You have only THREE HOURS before the planet explodes" didn't really have the same impact.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChorpSaway posted:

Aw, it's good to hear that we're doing good work! We're here to have fun and make this as enjoyable as possible, so it's always good to hear that people are enjoying what we do!

Like I said after the first update, I have managed to consume more Naruto stuff through this one thread than everything else ever combined. Y'all have done the seemingly impossible and made it entertaining.

Sounds like damning with faint praise there, but for whatever reason "shonen ninjas with magic powers" somehow ends up bad on its own merit. Go figure.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

:eng101: Tenten's thing is that she's a primarily ranged character and so her projectile attacks are full combos while her melee attacks are rudimentary (there's a couple other characters like this, including Temari and Deidara).

Tenten isn't nearly as good in this game as she was in the previous one, though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Nidoking posted:

The same answer as any other anime series that's done before the manga finishes - they ran out of filler ideas and had to stretch a couple of chapters, which take about five minutes to read, into seven episodes, but felt that saying "You have only THREE HOURS before the planet explodes" didn't really have the same impact.

The abridged series fixed that by having Freeza pull the "5 minutes" thing out of his rear end, or something like that.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Waruto, you say?

I'm not sorry.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

VolticSurge posted:

The abridged series fixed that by having Freeza pull the "5 minutes" thing out of his rear end, or something like that.

The "fix" is to make interesting things happen in the anime series, if there's not enough manga to fill the time. Or go on hiatus and wait for the manga to catch up - except that the more popular the series is, the less willing the studio will be to let the anime version get behind, which means that the better the manga series is, usually, the worse the anime will be. It also helps if the series isn't particularly tied to a straightforward story, letting the studio slide in filler episodes liberally without actually diverging from the original plot. Anything by Rumiko Takahashi is perfect for that.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Nidoking posted:

The "fix" is to make interesting things happen in the anime series, if there's not enough manga to fill the time. Or go on hiatus and wait for the manga to catch up - except that the more popular the series is, the less willing the studio will be to let the anime version get behind, which means that the better the manga series is, usually, the worse the anime will be. It also helps if the series isn't particularly tied to a straightforward story, letting the studio slide in filler episodes liberally without actually diverging from the original plot. Anything by Rumiko Takahashi is perfect for that.

Although studios are perfectly happy to utterly demolish the current story in favor of slipping in a filler arc (see: Bleach's Captain Amagai Arc)

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

U.T. Raptor posted:

:eng101: Tenten's thing is that she's a primarily ranged character and so her projectile attacks are full combos while her melee attacks are rudimentary (there's a couple other characters like this, including Temari and Deidara).

Tenten isn't nearly as good in this game as she was in the previous one, though.

Yeah, that explains it. I noticed this as I played through the next chapter and saw how the AI used her, but it's good to have more confirmation to this. Long-range characters, man.

Ometeotl posted:

Waruto, you say?

I'm not sorry.

There is absolutely nothing to be sorry about. This is fantastic. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nidoking posted:

The "fix" is to make interesting things happen in the anime series, if there's not enough manga to fill the time. Or go on hiatus and wait for the manga to catch up - except that the more popular the series is, the less willing the studio will be to let the anime version get behind, which means that the better the manga series is, usually, the worse the anime will be.

One Piece after Water Seven. :negative:

Especially after Thriller Bark. :negative:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
While this may be the very definition of damning with faint praise, this is definitely the part of Naruto when the story was at its best. It actually did manage to hit a few genuinely good emotional moments. Nice to see it relived, through what looks like a pretty good/fun game.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Calax posted:

Although studios are perfectly happy to utterly demolish the current story in favor of slipping in a filler arc (see: Bleach's Captain Amagai Arc)

Was he the random captain in that forest of Menos Grandes in Hueco Mundo? I seem to recall that was the moment that I finally said "Okay, I'm done." with the anime.

I still read the manga though. I know, I'm dumb.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Hoss Corncave posted:

Was he the random captain in that forest of Menos Grandes in Hueco Mundo? I seem to recall that was the moment that I finally said "Okay, I'm done." with the anime.

I still read the manga though. I know, I'm dumb.

Nah, he got an entire story arc... that just appeared in the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc, took place back in the soul society, and acted as if it'd come just after the Soul Society arc rather than in the middle of another arc (Rukia had just been "killed", as had a few others by the Espada... but were perfectly fine for Amagai's arc).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Calax posted:

Nah, he got an entire story arc... that just appeared in the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc, took place back in the soul society, and acted as if it'd come just after the Soul Society arc rather than in the middle of another arc (Rukia had just been "killed", as had a few others by the Espada... but were perfectly fine for Amagai's arc).

The fact that this actually happened in the show makes my head hurt.

Then again, they did have a perfect opportunity to get rid of Ririn, Claude and Nova when that female captain doctor person, but no, let's keep them in the series where they're just tacked on.

Anyway, back to Naruto.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Please save Bleach chat for my LP of Bleach: Soul Resurrection*.

Anyways, it's...

Today, our heroes enter the Akatsuki hideout, having taken down the barrier and destroyed the large rock blocking the entrance. But will they be in time to save the Kazekage, or has he been left without a leg to sand on? Find out now in the thrilling conclusion to Chapter 1: Rescue the Kazekage!

Sasori
A member of the Akatsuki. His parents died when he was young; due to the resulting lonely childhood, Sasori grew to be aloof and nihilistic, seeing no beauty or purpose in human life. Rather, he only sees beauty in everlasting things, such as his puppets. As a wielder of puppets, he is not particularly powerful on his own, and must rely on the strength of his puppets in order to hold his own in battle. He makes most of his puppets out of the bodies of his deceased enemies, which retain the powers they had when they were alive. He is also able to create powerful poisons, which he laces each of his weapons and puppets with. Also he turned himself into a puppet so that he could be immortal.

Glossary Terms This Episode

None! No new ninja words this time!

*I am not doing an LP of Bleach: Soul Resurrection.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please give me a Rules of Nature edit of Sakura swinging Sasori around by the cable.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm glad you guys are okay with the dub - it has the worst reputation around but it's honestly decent. There's a LOT of big names in there, and even Naruto's voice got better as Naruto himself got better.

By the way, any plans for the Rock Lee spinoff game? It actually covers a lot of this game's story arc as well, with a few ... embellishments.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You will be missed, lady whose backstory we just learned.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Pyrotoad posted:

I'm glad you guys are okay with the dub - it has the worst reputation around but it's honestly decent. There's a LOT of big names in there, and even Naruto's voice got better as Naruto himself got better.

Yeah...the only complaint I have is that it seems like they reuse the sort of guy who whispers in a deep, raspy voice trope a little too much. Like, they have Gaara talking like that, and then they also have Itachi talking like that...and then also Sasori (though not quite to the same extent)...I think Shikamaru also talks like that...and I know for a fact that there's this one guy who pulls bones out of his body who also talks like that...

Yeah, gets kind of repetitive after a while. But I certainly can't find anything offensively bad, like say...4Kids Sanji...or 4Kids Mad Dog...or 4Kids Espa Roba...or, well, a lot of things from 4Kids :mmmhmm: .

EDIT: Shame too. 4Kids had some pretty good actors, just...maybe not very good direction :( .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 4, 2014

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, gets kind of repetitive after a while. But I certainly can't find anything offensively bad, like say...4Kids Sanji...or 4Kids Mad Dog...or 4Kids Espa Roba...or, well, a lot of things from 4Kids :mmmhmm: .
How can you not like 4Kids Sanji? Do you also hate the One Piece rap opening, because it's also the best thing.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

anybody who dislikes 4kidz dubs has never seen this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oawUi9s3ENE

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Beefstew posted:

How can you not like 4Kids Sanji? Do you also hate the One Piece rap opening, because it's also the best thing.

But of course. I mean, how can one NOT like someone who sounds like Joey Wheeler, after 12 years of drugs, and a head cold on top of that :haw:?

I actually do like the opening though. Only good thing about that version really.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 4, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Fionordequester posted:

Who could possibly hate on 4Kids. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5WEyH285EQ&t=36m1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah...the only complaint I have is that it seems like they reuse the sort of guy who whispers in a deep, raspy voice trope a little too much. Like, they have Gaara talking like that, and then they also have Itachi talking like that...and then also Sasori (though not quite to the same extent)...I think Shikamaru also talks like that...and I know for a fact that there's this one guy who pulls bones out of his body who also talks like that...

EDIT: Shame too. 4Kids had some pretty good actors, just...maybe not very good direction :( .

Kisame's voice is really bad too. He basically just sounds like a normal dude in Japanese, not a shark monster or whatever the dub is going for.

• Locked thread