Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Don't you love it when you win a battle only to find out the opponent "wasn't even trying"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Naruto is like a psycho ex-girlfriend. "Sasuke I know you left me and said you never wanted to see me again but baby I know we just have this bond, I can feel it you know? NOW COME BACK TO ME OR I'LL START THROWING HADOKENS RASENGANS AT YOU! What's that? You're leaving again? Okay, see you when I find your next address!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JT Jag posted:

Naruto instantly forms an S-link with anyone who he discovers is an orphan like he is, or who otherwise was shunned in their childhood like he was. He was *just* about to max his S-link with Sasuke before it got inverted. He really just wants to track down Sasuke to fix that poo poo, he hasn't been able to fuse Fool Personas for poo poo since.
I re-submit this Persona reference for the thread's approval after that update

(for the record you might be thinking, but JT Jag shouldn't Naruto have Fool as his Persona and not Sasuke? No, you dumbass, Naruto is Star.)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

JT Jag posted:

(for the record you might be thinking, but JT Jag shouldn't Naruto have Fool as his Persona and not Sasuke? No, you dumbass, Naruto is Star.)

Fool is always the 'Team' S-Link, so it makes perfect sense.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Yuri Lowenthal :allears: He's in everything, which is great.

I'm in two minds about how the game handled the reunion. On the one hand, that was an awesome fight. But the fact that they have to pull the whole 'Oh I wasn't really fighting' thing kinda sours it, making Naruto complaining about being weak be a little weak itself.
In the original, it's a completely one-sided encounter, nobody can keep up with Sasuke's speed. It's lame, but Naruto hating how weak he is actually holds a little weight. He couldn't do anything, nor could the rest of the team.

The game cuts out Sasuke learning of the Ninetails existence within Naruto, as well as what I think is the first namedrop of a very important character later on. They also cut out some things to do with Sai's backstory and the motive for joining Orochimaru, but since that might be learned in a later update I won't spoil it.

Also regarding that kiss you mentioned, one of the databooks for the series implies that Sasuke still has no idea that it was an accident :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't know anything about Naruto outside this LP. I kind of like the female characters so far, but everyone keeps saying they're all bad, so I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :saddowns:

Pyrotoad posted:

I'm in two minds about how the game handled the reunion. On the one hand, that was an awesome fight. But the fact that they have to pull the whole 'Oh I wasn't really fighting' thing kinda sours it, making Naruto complaining about being weak be a little weak itself.
In the original, it's a completely one-sided encounter, nobody can keep up with Sasuke's speed. It's lame, but Naruto hating how weak he is actually holds a little weight. He couldn't do anything, nor could the rest of the team.
That's interesting, because if the point is supposed to be that Sasuke is super strong, that didn't come across to me at all in this version. Does this game not do the old "unwinnable boss fight" thing, then? It seems like this would have been just the time for one of those.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't know anything about Naruto outside this LP. I kind of like the female characters so far, but everyone keeps saying they're all bad, so I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :saddowns:

It's more that they keep getting built up towards being good and then getting shelved instead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

Does this game not do the old "unwinnable boss fight" thing, then? It seems like this would have been just the time for one of those.

No, it looks like it more goes for the classic "You win but not really" approach, where you win the fight but then in a cutscene you either get owned or a character you just beat up proceeds to stand up and tell you that they weren't even trying and you're pathetic.

JT Jag posted:

I don't know anything about Persona but for some reason this post makes me smile.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In a game like this, where everyone's fighting styles are already programmed, why can't they just put you in the driver seat of the guy that has to win in order to match the anime's plot?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Nihilarian posted:

In a game like this, where everyone's fighting styles are already programmed, why can't they just put you in the driver seat of the guy that has to win in order to match the anime's plot?

The latter games generally do this, but sometimes the anime's plot IS that they win the fight and then get smacked down by something that's not really part of the fight (another person, a dirty last-ditch trick, etcetera)

I generally consider the series' greatest weakness to be that you play Naruto far too much.
At least they gave him useful fighting-methods - some characters are a pain to fight with (and others are a pain to fight against. Deidara! :argh: He's a boss-fight even in those games he's not officially a boss in)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

aerion111 posted:

a dirty last-ditch trick, etcetera

Ninjas winning without dirty last-ditch tricks aren't ninjas :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pyrotoad posted:

Ninjas winning without dirty last-ditch tricks aren't ninjas :colbert:
Pssh, real ninjas win with underhanded ambushes. Last-ditch tricks shouldn't be necessary.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So you're playing on Hard Mode right? Because Sasuke is really the first time we've seen the enemies really do anything other than just sit there and let you attack them endlessly.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

The game cuts out Sasuke learning of the Ninetails existence within Naruto, as well as what I think is the first namedrop of a very important character later on. They also cut out some things to do with Sai's backstory and the motive for joining Orochimaru, but since that might be learned in a later update I won't spoil it.

Also regarding that kiss you mentioned, one of the databooks for the series implies that Sasuke still has no idea that it was an accident :v:
A lot of things are cut out to more streamline these games through the plot, especially in this one, which I think is at its worst in the next chapter. I don't think much of Sai's backstory is explored at this point, except maybe in the post-game, but it certainly doesn't explain much.
Also I haven't read the databooks but that's a cool fact and I'm glad that's real.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So you're playing on Hard Mode right? Because Sasuke is really the first time we've seen the enemies really do anything other than just sit there and let you attack them endlessly.
As I discovered after the fact, the difficulty setting doesn't apply to the story mode. The story mode has its own set difficulty curve that increases as the plot continues, so the CPUs will definitely start to get better, but the early game is stuck at a lower level overall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Naruto manga is over. Let us commemorate by listening to the best Naruto opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ6A6GC_ki4

Believe it.

(There's a character we haven't seen yet in the thumbnail of one of the related videos, so watch out, buddy.)

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Excuse you, but everyone knows the German opening is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xoTBZrzko

Believe~ it~

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Naruto might be over (and I might be free of its terrible grasp) but this LP sure isn't!

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Naruto and friends have returned to the village, and Kakashi has recovered and prepared some special training for our hero! Can we handle it, or will it blow us away? Find out today for the start of Chapter 3, "The Immortal Akatsuki"!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Asuma Sarutobi
The leader of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Asuma and son to the Third Hokage. Despite being a jonin and team leader, he takes a laidback approach to the position, only taking an active role when he deems it absolutely necessary. He is shown to be rather clever, using trickery and bribery to encourage his students to find their own potential. Asuma is considered to be the greatest close-range fighter in the village. He has bonded extraordinarily well with Shikamaru, often playing shoji and go with him during their off-time. It is heavily implied that he is in a romantic relationship with Kurenai, a fellow jonin. Also he smokes a lot because he’s way cool.

Kurenai Yuhi
The leader of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Kurenai. She is a caring motherly figure, particularly towards her team, taking a vested interest in everyone’s growth and always concerning herself with their personal lives. She does not do much fighting on her own, but she is mostly known for her powerful genjutsu abilities. It is heavily implied that she is in a romantic relationship with Asuma, a fellow jonin.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Greatest close range fighter my damned rear end.
Gai exists.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Naruto manga is over. Let us commemorate by listening to the best Naruto opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ6A6GC_ki4

I think you linked the wrong video by accident. :)

http://youtu.be/1i0GcfVtKC4?t=56s

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I got a flattering screengrab of our new pal, who was lovingly handcrafted in 21st century 3D.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Oh hey, those things on Asuma's hands are modified Trench Knives.

They were designed for, surprise, trench warfare; you would leap down into the trench with the point down in an attempt to spear the guy's brain. The blade was supposed to be sharp enough to punch through a helmet, although I have heard that it didn't always work, thus the built in brass knuckles.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arp1033 posted:

Oh hey, those things on Asuma's hands are modified Trench Knives.

They were designed for, surprise, trench warfare; you would leap down into the trench with the point down in an attempt to spear the guy's brain. The blade was supposed to be sharp enough to punch through a helmet, although I have heard that it didn't always work, thus the built in brass knuckles.

The concept of a Naruto character using a weapon based in real life is blowing my mind.

(I know everybody has kunai, but they never work and like nobody uses them, and Sasuke has a katana but it's more a lightning sword)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rock lee uses his fists. Those are based on a real weapon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes but not everyone has access to missile launchers

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I now wanna see Rock Lee and Asuma duke it out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TwoPair posted:

The concept of a Naruto character using a weapon based in real life is blowing my mind.

(I know everybody has kunai, but they never work and like nobody uses them, and Sasuke has a katana but it's more a lightning sword)

Tenten.

Also Asuma is the best character.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

JordanKai posted:

I think you linked the wrong video by accident. :)

http://youtu.be/1i0GcfVtKC4?t=56s

I will take you down motherfucker :argh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4b9jO1uB4

Also what do you mean Chorp, you're not free, you've still got the epilogue movie and some spinoffs to go! :suicide:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, let's see... passed on his technique, said goodbye to his loved one, chided her for her paranoia, recently encountered a naked metaphor for self-sacrifice...

Yep, I'd say Wind Ninja Senior is going to weather those three days until ninja retirement JUST FINE.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Naruto continues his training and talks to his friends! That doesn't matter though, because somewhere else there's trouble brewing and that's infinitely more interesting! With Asuma and Shikamaru out to find the invading Akatsuki, will their teamwork be enough to stop them, or does the devilish duo have something else in mind? All I know is that SOMEONE is gonna get the wind knocked out of them today!

Hidan
One of the "Immortal Akatsuki" along with Kakuzu. He is part of a religious cult called Jashinism that calls for nothing less than complete and utter destruction of everything. Due to his experimentation with techniques and rituals of Jashinism, Hidan has been rendered effectively immortal. He can survive and recover from all battle damage, and even reattach lost limbs. He is incredibly skilled with wielding his Triple-Bladed Scythe, but his main technique is to use the power of Jashin to turn him into a living voodoo doll. By consuming someone’s blood, any damage inflicted to Hidan is then passed on to the person whose blood he has consumed. His immortality has left him cocky and disrespectful, causing him to act recklessly both in everyday life and in battle, including to his superiors.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Hidan's power isn't (just) stolen from Jimmy Neutron. It's also taken wholesale from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and was used straight up worse in every way here.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I don't know how much was skipped/added - I skipped this arc myself because I don't really care about anyone involved - but the anime did have a filler arc before this that gave Asuma a little more exposure, as well as adding in some stuff about his not-so-great relationship with Sarutobi.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dragonatrix posted:

Hidan's power isn't (just) stolen from Jimmy Neutron. It's also taken wholesale from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and was used straight up worse in every way here.

This is 'The Lovers' as used by Steely Dan correct?

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Onmi posted:

Nope, Lovers was capable of amplifying pain (and only pain, not physical injury) that the stand user would suffer and transfer it to the victim, as well as a few other minor tricks. Nobody in JJBA had an ability akin to Hidan's at all: I just finished reading it front to back for the first time, so I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered that.

Regardless, I am really excited about this LP: Just making my way through it now after a period of unstable net connection, the first episode alone was enough to convince me to pick up 3* and Revolution.

*-- OK, technically I also had a friend badgering me to play 3 with them.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Onmi posted:

Ariamaki posted:

Nope, Lovers was capable of amplifying pain (and only pain, not physical injury) that the stand user would suffer and transfer it to the victim, as well as a few other minor tricks. Nobody in JJBA had an ability akin to Hidan's at all: I just finished reading it front to back for the first time, so I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered that.

What about Highway to Hell, from part 6?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Level Seven posted:

What about Highway to Hell, from part 6?

Shared Injury: When McQueen attempts to kill himself, he can also make someone die in the same way he does. No matter the circumstances, whatever harm McQueen faces will end up happening to the other person in the same way. In other words, McQueen must kill himself in order to kill his opponent, though hardly does so solely for that motive.

It's not the same since Thunder McQueen wasn't immortal, but otherwise the Stands powers are the same

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Naruto continues training and helps people around town, like the naive friendly person he is! But meanwhile, Team 10 is on a mission to avenge their leader, and they're determined to stop the Akatsuki members here and now. Will they be able to get the upper hand on them, or is the immortal duo truly as unstoppable as they say they are?

Kakuzu
One of the “Immortal Akatsuki” along with Hidan. His body is made up of thick gray tendrils that hold his body together similarly to stitches. He can separate his body parts at will and also heal from damages very quickly, as well as heal the injuries of others (it is said that he has put Hidan’s body back together many times after the two teammates feuded). He can also penetrate other people’s bodies with his tendrils, take their organs, and integrate them into his body, which could technically allow him to extend his life indefinitely. He has four masks on his back, each with another ninja’s heart contained inside of them, which he can separate from his body as monsters made entirely out of his gray tendrils. Kakuzu is a greedy man, only doing things for the eventual goal of money, and he has a nasty temper, though he is much more cautious than his partner.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I noticed that Kakuzu's mask was already broken during the fight. I guess it was never shown intact in the show?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
...Really, Chorp? A Phi Brain reference??

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So Chorps, can do you do a video actually explaining the battle mechanics at some point? Unless the story mode eventually gives you a Narututorial on how to do Ultimate Jutsus and Awakenings and all these other things in good time.

Otherwise i'll just sit back and enjoy the ninja fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

You perform regular jutsu by pressing triangle once and then circle if your chakra bar is full enough. Ultimate jutsu is the same, except you press triangle twice and need more chakra.

Awakenings become available once your health drops below a certain threshold (it differs between characters), and you just keep charging your chakra beyond maximum for a couple seconds. They vary from a simple temporary stat boost all the way to completely new forms with their own movesets (four-tailed Naruto, for example)

• Locked thread